Herbal Magic stores closing in P.E.I.

Screen capture of Herbal Magic web site.

A leading Canadian weight-loss chain is closing both of its P.E.I. locations.

Dawn Courtney, centre director in Moncton for Herbal Magic, says the company has been sold, resulting in 11 centres closing across Canada.

She says both the Charlottetown and Summerside centres will shut down within the next week. Each store employed two people.

An investigation by CBC TV’s Marketplace in 2010 determined the chain that promised to help people shed pounds through proper eating and in-house support was just as much about selling expensive diet supplements.

Organizations: CBC

Geographic location: P.E.I., Moncton, Canada Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• Former Employee
    July 26, 2014 - 22:12

Weight Management and Metabolic Plus are nothing but overpriced B vitamins with a little Green Tea extract. Chromium supplements you can buy at Walmart for 6.00. You are charged roughly $400 to lose 2 pounds a week. Keep in mind that your calorie allotments are about 1000/day. Of course you are going to lose weight following such a strict diet. If not, then seeing your savings plummet should be enough of a motivating factor.

• Former Client
      August 01, 2014 - 16:44

Former Employee....you are grossly exaggerating. I was on the program as it was closing and I was spending $100 a week on supplements.

• About time
    July 24, 2014 - 11:06

It was just another fad that didn't make it as far as I'm concerned. Whatever happened to people eating healthy and exercising? There is no magic pill that will help you shed the pounds. Now people are drinking pink drinks and coffee as a hope of losing weight; its all a croc.

• Former Client
      July 24, 2014 - 23:57

To 'about time'--some people need the coaching and constant direction to stay on the track to healthy eating and exercising.

• worked for me!
    July 24, 2014 - 09:28

I was also a client of Herbal Magic many years ago and it worked great for me. I shed 49 pounds in 6 months and as far as the pills go, there is nothing wrong with taking a multivitamin as well as a calcium pill. I was not pushed to buy anything else. I also found the staff great and encouraged you to do well. I am disappointed that another business will be leaving and that people will be out of a job.

• Too Bad
    July 24, 2014 - 00:44

Too bad! I was a client at one point at this location and I received top notch care and guidance as I tried to get better my lifestyle. I was able to shed near 50 pounds and got many new good habits in place in my life. The cost of the pills associated with the program are not as expensive as people outside of the program may think. I feel bad for the several people losing their job, and if I know these ladies like I think I do, they are losing a passion as the staff certainly loved what they did. Never good to see people lose jobs during these tough economic times.

• Kevin Nicholson
    July 23, 2014 - 23:57

What's that you say?? A for-profit business was TRYING to sell over-priced products to consumers? A truly groundbreaking exposé. I can proudly say that our tax dollars go far in Canada.

• darlene hustler
    July 23, 2014 - 22:05

I tried the program and found ot that it was all about pushing you to buy buy buy...supplements supplements...I tried for one month and lost not a lb and it cost me 700 dollars...I quit after the first month and was refunded nothing...

• Guy Currie
      July 24, 2014 - 07:40

If you didn't lose a pound in an entire month, it's not the business fault. Have to take ownership of coming up short. There's no magic pill

• ange dugay
      July 24, 2014 - 11:31

i did the program and lost 70 pounds all together.. you get what you put in to it.. if i went to the movies and ate popcorn and other snacks, then i didnt go down any weight.. as for pushing products.. not once was i ever pushed to buy anything.. they explained every product to me and i chose whether or not i wanted to buy it.