Florida family catches 750-pound tuna during P.E.I. visit

Steve Sharratt
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Brian Mahon, centre, of Florida gets a little help after his family hooked a 750-pound tuna in the catch and release fishery. The family was on board a Scott Bruce Tuna Charter and assisting are cork Sasha Foster-Andres and veteran fisherman Walter Bruce.

First bluefin tuna of season in catch-and-release program

SOURIS — The first bluefin tuna of the season in the catch-and-release program was hooked off Souris last week and weighed 750 pounds.

It was caught by the Mahon family from Florida with Captain Scott Bruce of Scott Bruce Tuna Charters.

“We were kite fishing and the bait ends up looking like a wounded feed fish to a tuna,’’ said Bruce.

“He grabbed on just a few feet below the surface and came up and gave us a lot of white water’’ he added.

The tuna charter season opened last week and Scott Bruce Tuna Charters was the first boat out which matched last year’s record as well as being the first to catch and release this season.

The tuna was released unharmed after the very thrilling experience.

P.E.I. has recently been ranked by Sport Fishing magazine as one of the top 11 fishing spots in the world since it is “one of the best places in the world to catch a huge tuna.”

Organizations: Sport Fishing magazine

Geographic location: Florida

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • tuna lover
    July 23, 2014 - 10:48

    The tuna is going to have anger management issues after that experience. Everybody should watch out.

  • MD
    July 23, 2014 - 08:34

    Fantastic! Let's hook a 750 lbs tuna and fight it for a few hours, only to let it go once it's been overheated, stressed and damaged from having a hook in it's mouth. It's ok, I'm sure that tuna will recover from the traumatic ordeal and be 100% afterwards.

    • Observer from the East
      July 23, 2014 - 10:36

      My god give it a rest!

  • Dal
    July 23, 2014 - 07:12

    They had to let it go as it was radioactive.