Bald eagle shot in P.E.I.

Jim Day

The province is seeking the public's assistance in tracking down the person who shot a bald eagle in P.E.I. last month. Guardian photo

The person who shot a bald eagle in P.E.I. should face a severe fine, says an enforcement official.

“It’s just a wanton waste crime,’’ says Wade MacKinnon, manager of investigation and enforcement with the Department of Environment, Labour and Justice.

“If anyone is caught we are going to prosecute them to the full extent (of the P.E.I. Wildlife Conservation Act).’’

Under the Act, a person can be fined between $200 and $10,000 for shooting birds of prey like eagles, hawks, owls and ospreys.

MacKinnon says a staff member of the Avondale Golf Course found an injured eagle on June 23 on the 17th hole.

The bird – a mature female eagle - was able to hop, but unable to fly.

MacKinnon says the bird was emaciated and likely had not eaten in a few weeks.

The eagle was taken to the Atlantic Veterinary College in Charlottetown. The bird was euthanized due to its poor condition that included missing part of a wing and other trauma to the body.

A necropsy found that the bird had been shot.

MacKinnon says this is the fourth report in the past five years of an eagle having been shot in the province.

The public’s assistance is being sought in tracking the culprit. Any person with information on the crime can call the P.E.I. Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or call Wade MacKinnon at 902-368-4808.

“We’re looking for public support,’’ says MacKinnon.

“It’s a serious wildlife crime.’’

He says the eagle population has grown substantially over the last dozen years in P.E.I. with more than 75 active nests existing in the province today.

Organizations: Atlantic Veterinary College, Department of Environment

Geographic location: P.E.I., Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• Jim
    July 18, 2014 - 20:22

Please catch this bastard and punish him!!!!!!What a disgrace!!!!!

• Eaglecrest
    July 18, 2014 - 13:51

That's not evidence of guilt Morgan, it is evidence that you see eagles everyday from your backyard, therefore you can conclude with a high degree of probability they live nearby. But it has absolutely nothing to do with the guilt or the character of the alleged perpetrator.

• Arron
    July 18, 2014 - 10:06

I hope this person is prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Maximum fine. This behavior is inexcusable and cowardly and unfortunately happens all too often here on PEI. People need to be held responsible for their actions and messages are not getting through. MAXIMUM penalties all the way. Maybe that will send a clearer message

• Stan Hope
    July 18, 2014 - 08:53

According to a media update , there was a second bald eagle that was also injured & grounded but was never found.Keeps gettin' better eh ... asshole responsible .

• Morgan
    July 17, 2014 - 21:48

Maybe I guessed wrong, I will admit, all I know is based on this article a Bald Eagle in my area was shot with a shotgun according to the AVC and had to be euthanized. Maybe someone was protecting their cat or small pet, either way, it is sad to see, as they are an endangered species and a beautiful bird!

• conbonjovi
    July 17, 2014 - 20:30

Atta boy wade!!

• townie22
    July 17, 2014 - 17:40

i hope, when found and convicted, they get the maximum, this was just done out of cruelty, not for food. reminds me of the people who ran down the fox with Ski Doo's.

• reality
    July 17, 2014 - 17:19

many years ago in winsloe a person shot a protected bird and took it to a game warden to have it preserved -- made national news !!!

• Morgan
    July 17, 2014 - 16:28

That is terrible. I have over 7 living behind my house in the Vernon River area (very close to where the one was shot, hopefully the bird was not from that family(s) living here. There is at least two white heads(mature) and 5 without their white heads (juveniles, less than 4 years old) I can't imagine why some drunken idiot (just a wild guess but I bet you I am right) shooting them! Very beautiful bird to watch!

• Perhaps
      July 17, 2014 - 17:47

Drunken idiots also post here ALL the TIME without ever knowing the facts of a case.

• Morgan
      July 17, 2014 - 20:03

Is there some facts you want to enlighten us on? Would like to see your IP address actually!

• Hero
      July 17, 2014 - 21:05

Why would you like to see my IP address hero? You are the one making the claims. Why don't you produce YOUR evidence of guilt. No. You won't. You have none. Just another armchair quarterback making "wild guesses".

• Morgan
      July 17, 2014 - 21:24

My evidence of guilt? I live on the Vernon River and enjoy these birds day in and day out. I am using my real name and would love to meet someone who shot any of the eagles living behind my house. One of us does seem offensive for one reason or another though!

• Stan Hope
    July 17, 2014 - 16:11

What an absolute shame & destruction of a beautiful creature.I sure hope the ignorant fool who did this is found & charged ... someone knows the person/person's , come on folks.

• Sad Thugs
    July 17, 2014 - 15:01

Very sad that people are such cowards to go out hunting animals for fun...just sickens me. People that hunt for sport are absolute cowards. A life is a life, we have no more claim to this world than the animals who inhabit it with us. Kill for sport, kill for fun, just cowards with guns hiding around trees!

• Hunter
      July 17, 2014 - 17:56

This person may have been a hunter as much as he or she could have been a golfer. Please don't paint hunters with the same brush you paint this person. You're views on hunters may never change, but please consider that true hunters are ethical, conservation minded, and contribute more to the well being of wildlife than are given credit for.

• Sad Thugs
      July 18, 2014 - 02:57

@Hunter At the end of the day, this was a malicious act. And could you enlighten me as how "hunters" (cowards), are helping the world? It's funny that you think that wild life is the problem that we all face (and pay for). The last time I looked as to where my taxes are going...wasn't to wild life. Go fight the good fight sir...instead of a gun, why not use your hands.