Jason Yeo appealing sentence and convictions

Ryan Ross

Jason Yeo was in Prince Edward Island Supreme Court in January 2014.

A Charlottetown man who is in prison for various drug-related crimes has filed an appeal of his most recent convictions and sentence that added seven years to what he was already serving.

Jason Norman Yeo filed the hand-written appeal on July 7 from Springhill Institution in Nova Scotia where he is serving out the remainder of a total 16-year sentence for crimes that include his role in an armed robbery and trafficking cocaine.

Yeo is appealing the sentence from P.E.I. Supreme Court Justice Wayne Cheverie on June 9 that added seven years to nine he was already serving.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW A TIMELINE OF YEO'S CASE.

In his application Yeo noted that he was appealing the convictions and sentence for drug trafficking, possession for the purpose of trafficking, weapons charges and probation breaches.

There are three possible options to choose from on the appeal application form, but Yeo added a fourth by hand writing in that he also wanted to withdraw a guilty plea.

Yeo is appealing on the grounds that Cheverie's sentence was excessive.

He also wrote that "lawyer misrepresentation" and "ineffective assistant of counsel" were other grounds of appeal.

Yeo said he wants to present his case in person and in writing.

If he is successful and a new trial is ordered Yeo wants to be tried by a judge and jury.

rross@theguardian.pe.ca

twitter.com/ryanrross

Organizations: Springhill Institution

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Nova Scotia

Comments

Comments

• Islander
    July 17, 2014 - 11:15

Sorry if I have offended some with my comment but I see by comments it seems you know this person or heard more about him then I and if he is as bad as you all claim well he is where he is because of it.

• Bob
    July 17, 2014 - 10:42

Knowing this guy over the last 10 years, he deserves everything that's coming to him, and more. I'll have sympathy for someone who's made a mistake and learned something from it. This guy just doesn't learn. He's an addict, a thief, a dealer and has no respect for anyone or anything other than this empire he thinks he created. He use to walk around like he owned the town, followed by his posse who think they are some kind of big time gangsters living the high rollin' life. Well, guess what, most of his posse are in jail or have been and those who aren't probably should be. I've seen him and his crew hurt people violently, he has no morals and all he cares about is himself. I hope to never see this guy walk the streets again, PEI would way much better off without him around.

• HERE AND NOW
    July 17, 2014 - 10:32

ISLANDER stop worrying about the next life and look around you now. We have people stealing and robbing senior citizens, we have murderers, drunk drivers killing innocent people, we have people defrauding the people they work for, I can go on and on, but it appears that you are only concerned about your next life and could care less about his one. These people must be judged when caught even if you do not agree. People must be responsible for their actions You are in this world now become a part of what is happening.

• Reality
    July 17, 2014 - 09:25

@Islander Why are you going on that people should not judge this criminal? Leave it for the "man upstairs", are you serious? People have to deal with what is in front of them, and in this case it is a criminal who has done much, much, more harm than good in this world. He's corrupted people, hurt people, increased crime in our communities, making where WE live a dangerous place to live and raise our children. So you go and pray, which is a great option when you can't deal with the reality of the situation.

• Islander
      July 17, 2014 - 10:30

I know reality only too well and know enough to mind my own and know we will be judged "so we are told" in how we judge others. Enough said.

• Reality
      July 17, 2014 - 15:05

@Islander The people in the middle east have clung to your ideologies for thousands of years, how's that working out for them? Hundreds more innocent people killed just yesterday. Enough Said!

• Hopeful
    July 17, 2014 - 09:08

Dear Islander I agree with you we should not judge others as not all of our doorsteps are clean, However I would feel sorry for him if he is learning from his mistakes he doesnt . This isnt the first time and I am sure it wont be the last of him. He walks around Charlottetown like he owns everyone and thinks he is king. I personally think the world would be a better place with him behind bars , I just hope the rest of his drug dealing buddies go too!

• Islander
    July 17, 2014 - 06:01

I do not agree with the things this young man has done but I try not to judge him and when I read some of the comments below it makes me wonder when did God leave and make you all him to judge in the way you do when their is not a person on this earth that has not in their life done some wrong. Worry about the next life for yourself and try not to judge others leave that one up to the man upstairs .This young man I am sure has family and loved ones who love him and have to read your cruel comments and just think your life now and children's might be all find now but it can change in a heart beat and this could be your child or a loved one and believe me then you would see how hurtful your mean comments are. I do not know this man or family but do try to be a decent human been to other man kind and that means judge not leave that to the one who truly is in charge.

• crazy people blame other people
    July 16, 2014 - 18:31

people ruin their own lives, its their choice to do drugs its their choice to over does , drug dealers don't wreck lives.... every person is responsible for him/her self

• Mike
      July 17, 2014 - 06:35

That just may be the most rediculous post I read all year. Wow!

• You are the crazy one
      July 17, 2014 - 11:05

You obviously know nothing about addiction. A person who takes drugs only has a "choice" in it until they develop the disease of addiction. Then that choice is removed. Drug dealers know this and prey on people. My 14 year old son is addicted. He got his drugs from a drug dealer. If they had not been made available to him - from a person who knew exactly what they would do to my 14 year old kid - he would not be in the situation he is in. We have a responsibility as a society to protect people - even from themselves - which is why you can't purchase alcohol or cigarettes until you get to a certain age. Don't go acting like drug dealers have any kind of morals. They are the scum of the earth, the lowest of the low, and I hope every single one of them rots in jail and I am really sick of the "no one makes you buy drugs" argument which no one but drug dealers buy into.

• sammy
    July 16, 2014 - 17:41

This is good news. It opens up the case again to give him even more time. Remember fella this thing can go either way in terms of length of sentence. Here is hoping they increase his sentence.

• SomeSense
    July 16, 2014 - 15:47

I don't think that sentence excessive and I certainly don't think his appeal should see a courtroom but if it does I would like to see them somehow add more time to his sentence as that is what he truely deserves

• don
    July 16, 2014 - 14:58

jason if it was up to me all drug dealers would get life plus a day for all the lives you have destroyed with selling drugs. you may not have killed them in one way but in other ways you are a murderer. and i hope and pray that you stay in prison for the full term.

• Calder C.
    July 16, 2014 - 14:36

Pay in this life, or pay in the next life! That sentence should be doubled for the things he has gotten away with!

• apples
      July 16, 2014 - 15:18

I must agree. He has ruined many young peoples lives. Now pay the price and think about what you have done.