© Associated Press photo
Blake Shelton poses backstage with his awards for male vocalist of the year and album of the year at the 47th annual CMA Awards at Bridgestone Arena on Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2013, in Nashville, Tenn.
All performances at the Cavendish Beach Music Festival Saturday have been cancelled, organizers have announced.
The entire venue is now shut down to concert-goers. Organizers had originally postponed Saturday’s gate opening to 5 p.m. on the hope that high winds would calm down.
However, safety reasons have caused the festival to shut down for the entire night with Environment Canada forecasting gusts of up to 90 km/h an hour continuing this evening.
Country musician Blake Shelton announced earlier in the day he would not be performing at the festival due to travel restrictions.
Shelton, who was set to headline Saturday and was considered by many the highlight of this year’s festival, confirmed the cancellation on Twitter at about 2:30 p.m.
“Damn sorry I won’t be at Cavendish to perform tonight. There’s no access to the Island,” said Shelton. “But more than that, y’all who there please be safe.”
Darius Rucker, who was also set to perform on the mainstage Saturday, had also cancelled due to travel restrictions.
Organizers said that individuals who purchased a single day ticket may now use the ticket for Sunday’s show. They will also be able to receive a refund.
Organizers said weekend pass purchasers will receive a discount towards a 2015 weekend pass purchase.