Youth driving ATV on highway now in hospital

A collision between a car and this ATV sent a Port Hill area rider to hospital Wednesday afternoon, June 25, 2014.

Teen crossing Route 12 to East Bideford Road struck by car, gets thrown from four-wheeler

EAST BIDEFORD – A Port-Hill-area teen was taken to hospital by ambulance Wednesday after the four-wheel ATV he was operating collided with a car.

The collision happened just before 4:30 p.m. A bystander said the youth was travelling east along Route 12 and crossed onto the East Bideford Road into the path of a car travelling west along Route 12.

The impact threw the youth from his Yamaha 4-wheeler and ripped the rear right wheel from the machine.

Const. Steve Macdonnell from East Prince RCMP stressed that the machine is not permitted to be operated on the highway. He said the youth was following another ATV. He credited them for wearing helmets.

“For sure, I think the helmet made a big difference,” he said, noting the injured youth was thrown from his machine.

The extent of the youth’s injures were unknown but it thought he might have sustained a leg fracture.

Tyne Valley Fire Department assisted at the scene and a tow truck was dispatched to collect both ATVs.

The driver of the car was uninjured and she was able to drive her vehicle from the scene.

Organizations: Tyne Valley Fire Department

Geographic location: East Bideford Road, BIDEFORD, Port-Hill

Comments

Comments

• irony
    June 27, 2014 - 07:13

ATV's are illegal on the roads, yes? Not that i have an issue with ATV's or their drivers.. but more times than i can count i had some moron on an ATV cut in front of me, driving along and not looking behind them. they're so loud often you can't hear a vehicle coming either. Sad this kid had an injury, but when you do things that are illegal knowing the risks i don't think one can actually call it an 'accident'. It was something that was bound to happen sooner or later. I'm just shocked it doesn't happen more often. On a side note.. if ATV drivers can't seem to follow the LAW, why the hell should anyone make concessions or trails for them? You don't get rewarded for breaking the law, last i heard.

• Rita
    June 26, 2014 - 21:18

That boy in the accident was my nephew . He is a great boy. and yes he crossed the road. well how many of us can say that is the worst thing we have ever done at age 15. He has the best parents in the world so don't go blaming them. and yes, PEI is about the only province that doesn't have anywhere for these guys to drive. Its about time we did!!!. I am proud of my nephew . He could have been sitting somewhere doing drugs, drinking or whatever, But he wasn't . He crossed the road on an ATV. You lads with all your negative comments, maybe you should look in your own closet before you start cleaning out someone elses.

• Cathrina Mugford
    June 26, 2014 - 19:19

There definetely should be trails for four wheelers on PEI. We own two and it is very hard to find places to drive them... Without breaking any rules!!! Also I would much prefer my kids out on four wheelers a posed to in the house with their eyes glued to a screen of some sort! This young man had an accident...for god sakes a little concern for him and his well being is in order NOT the blame game! He was very lucky he was not killed AND it was an accident just like any other AN ACCIDENT!!!! Hope you get well soon GARRETT... WE are thinking of you buddy!!!

• private property
      June 27, 2014 - 06:09

PEI is 95% private property. What little public property is either park or beach. With such limitations, where do you propose building trails for 4-wheelers that won't go on private property? These machines are great in rural areas of other provinces but they have lots of public forest. Perhaps we just need to ban the machines in PEI.

• Edith
    June 26, 2014 - 18:10

My son 15 also drives an ATV, along the side of the roads a trail would be nice ,there are always people complain about this and that sometimes its not the kids wreaking things glad the boy is ok where I live we have a busy body who hates ATVs someday I should ask her if she wants to go for a ride

• skiler
    June 26, 2014 - 17:42

There is no other place to drive our atvs so get some trails on this island so we can all go for a drive when we want to where we want to

• tammy
    June 26, 2014 - 11:53

This is why the goverment should allow atvs on the trails just like all the other prov. and what i dont understand is why when we buy a new atv we have to register and plate them when we are not allowed to drive them any where on pei.

• Sean
      June 26, 2014 - 13:45

I like the idea of ATV trails it would be great I mean they can spend millions on a highway why not spend a few more million and make a safe place to ride

• mad as hell
    June 26, 2014 - 04:54

Darwin, interrupted.

• Garrett cooke
      June 26, 2014 - 14:33

I am the guy who was struck by the car. In my opinion i think the province should open up some sort of trail system on the island. I know that if there where some sort of trail system my atvs would never touch the road but because there are no trails or designated driving areas me and other off road machine owners are forced to use the public roads to get to places were we can drive them. I know i love the sport and so does alot of the people on the island so why not get some trails going and most of the atvs will stay off the roads. I know for sure that if there were trails yesterday i would have been on them instead of the road. Fourwheeling is my pass time the thing i like doing for fun you dont see me complaining about other peoples activities they do for fun so why do you complain about mine.

• Common Sense
      June 27, 2014 - 07:17

Garrett.. what you did was illegal. Do you get that? 1. you're lucky to be ALIVE. 2. you're also lucky if you do not get charged. ATV drivers.. stop crying ' we do it because we have no trials'... did you ever stop to think you have no trials BECAUSE you do it???

• Mike Cannon
    June 25, 2014 - 22:48

Please, for the safety of all, crack down on the ATVs riding on public roads, it seems to be normal practice west of Summerside. It's madness up there, I refuse to go there....

• West of Summerside
      June 26, 2014 - 09:41

Great! Stay away than! Pretty sure your loss of presence wouldn't bother any I the people with fourwheelers or others either!

• Carter
    June 25, 2014 - 22:22

Why don't you share your full name don because I'm sure many people would like to .

• don
    June 25, 2014 - 21:12

if charges are being layed then lay them against the parents. they know that 4 wheelers are not allowed and should make sure the child also knows. if the child has a licence then charge him.

• Don hater
      June 26, 2014 - 04:02

You don't know the whole story on it don you idiot if anyone should be charged it should be whoever gave a idiot like you a computer

• Parent
      June 26, 2014 - 11:29

My God, Don, is there anything that you aren't an expert on? Did you listen to everything that your parents told you? If the answer is "yes", I wish they had told you to never comment on Guardian articles.

• DON YA WRONG
      June 26, 2014 - 14:03

How dare you blame parents!!!! Dont be such a jerk and be thankful the kid actually walked away from this without too much injury. The parents did their job they probably knew where there kid was out 4-wheeling with his buddies. To place blame on anyone blame the province of PEI for not providing a safe place for the kids to actually take the ATV thats not a highway or a field.

• don
      June 26, 2014 - 14:16

i have a question for :Don hater, Parent. how would you both feel if that was your child? or if the story had said the child was killed. you both need to wake up have a talk to the police and they will tell you how bad these toys are on the roads. and parent i am not an expert but i have been around a few more years then you. and till you get to my age sit back and get drunk if you are not already there.

• Captain Canuck
      June 26, 2014 - 14:56

Don, apparently people think kids can "do as you will", that parents should let them raise themselves, and we should watch out for their foolishness lest Darwin be proven.

• Parent's Responsibility
      June 26, 2014 - 16:49

It is up to the parent, who buys these toys , to make sure the child riding them follows the rules. Only on PEI would we want to blame the province for not providing our privileged youth a safe place to ride.