Lower Montague apartment dwellers displaced by fire, smoke damage

Jocelyne Lloyd
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Two preschool boys and their parents are among the tenants of an apartment building in Lower Montague who were forced from their home by fire early Sunday.

LOWER MONTAGUE — Two preschool boys and their parents are among the tenants of an apartment building in Lower Montague who were forced from their home by fire early Sunday.

The apartment building with four units was evacuated just before 3 a.m. Sunday when an electrical appliance in the kitchen of one apartment malfunctioned.

That apartment was gutted. Smoke and fire damaged the other three units, one of which was occupied by a couple and their two boys, aged 4 and 2 years old.

Montague and Cardigan fire departments put out the fire and Deputy Fire Marshal Robert Arsenault has ruled the fire as accidental.

The tenants all found places to stay with family and friends in the area while work and inspections are carried out on the building. The Red Cross is assisting the young family with food and clothing vouchers, but they are also staying with friends until they are allowed back home.

A news release from the provincial Fire Marshal's Office contains a reminder for Islanders to reinstall any smoke detectors if they are removed for any reason.

"Whether it is to replace the battery or to stop the alarm from sounding while cooking, it is of utmost importance that the detector is reinstalled immediately after the new battery is installed or the alarm has stopped ringing," states the FMO.

Organizations: FMO

Geographic location: Lower Montague, Fire Marshal

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • Ch'town Citizen
    June 24, 2014 - 12:11

    I am sorry to hear about the fire that left 4 families homeless and I hope the community of Montague will come to their aid. After reading this story, they say it was a malfunction in a kitchen appliance that started the fire. It would be nice if they were more specific about this appliance in the case that other people own the same one and would like to get it checked out.