Visitor to P.E.I. trapped in marsh while trying to escape dogs

Nigel
Nigel Armstrong

Google map showing area where man got trapped in bog while trying to circle around dogs that had chased him on Point Prim Road.

Cyclist in Point Prim area tries to circle around dogs on main road but gets stuck in muck pit

A visitor to P.E.I. travelling by bicycle tried to escape an encounter with dogs Friday, but got sucked into the Island landscape a bit more than he could handle.

Belfast fire department responded to a 911 call about 5 p.m. of a man trapped in a marsh off a cottage lane in Point Prim.

Click for zoomable map of area

Wade MacKenzie, chief of the Belfast fire department said the man, in his mid-50s, was renting a cottage in the area and went for a bicycle ride along Point Prim Road.

He was able to out run some dogs that took after him, but he didn't want to return past those dogs again on the return home.

The visitor took one cottage lane down toward the shore, thinking he would go along the shore and up another lane to make a circle past the dog-attack area up on the main road.

Trouble was, there is marshy land between the two cottage lanes he was trying to navigate.

The man, carrying his bicycle, tried to walk through the wetland area, but ended up stepping in the middle of a muddy, oozy, marsh puddle and got stuck.

"He was stuck up to near his knees," said MacKenzie. "He was carrying his bicycle and didn't want to set his bike down in the mud, but then he got stuck. It was suction that was sticking him.

"He had his cell phone with him and he called 911 because he couldn't move," said MacKenzie. "One of the firemen had to crawl out to get him."

The bike ended up getting totally muddy but the man declined treatment on scene from Island EMS and the incident ended with the rescue, said MacKenzie.

NArmstrong@TheGuardian.pe.ca

Twitter.com/NigelPEI

Geographic location: Point Prim Road, P.E.I., Belfast

Comments

Comments

• Kim MacRae
    June 10, 2014 - 21:12

I live on the Point Prim road and I have 4 dogs (that do not leave the yard). I think I know exactly where this man may have met the dogs as they chased my car the other day. Maybe the owners of the house should be contacted instead of the public generalizing that all of us who live in the country let our dogs run wild!!! A good dog owner would never do such a thing. My two cents...

• Tony
    June 10, 2014 - 19:53

For many years I've carried a dog "Dazer" device which deters dogs when they get too close with high frequency sound. I've had very good results but there is a caution not to use it with deaf dogs. The best deterrent, in the end, is a strong pair of legs and the motivation of fear. All of this might not help much if a cyclist is stuck in mid-swamp.

• Phil
    June 10, 2014 - 18:52

Am I missing something? He got stuck up to his knees because he didn't want to get his bike dirt? Wtf he should have stayed in the city maybe help evolution. Am I the only one picturing Homer Simpson stuck in a pop machine because he wouldn't let go of the can?

• Mike
      June 11, 2014 - 10:37

• Justin simmonds
    June 10, 2014 - 15:50

Anyone that likes to enjoy the back woods and trails here should go to 'gone fishing' store and purchase a can of dog repellant, it is similar to bear spray. I believe it is legal to carry it while doing outdoors recreational activities. Although not 100% sure so may want double check with local authorities. Only an idea required to buy. Had a stray dog hanging around years ago and purchased a can bearspray and stopped an attack (dog)not too long after in my own yard!

• PEI Residant
    June 10, 2014 - 11:49

Thank god for that mans cell phone That would be such a scary feeling Nice to here he was ok Hope he enjoys the rest of his Holidays

• J
    June 10, 2014 - 11:29

Have dog owners not heard of pet containment systems. If pet owners can't keep their animals on their own property then they shouldn't have them. Makes me wonder what their children are allowed to do...

• Dogs on the loose
    June 10, 2014 - 08:35

Seems to be an accepted way of life on pei to allow your dogs to run free in the country. Great opportunity for anyone wanting to have a 'dog catcher' business.

• Stan Hope
    June 10, 2014 - 08:28

... meanwhile the bacon slicer at the local butcher in anywhere P.E.I. became jammed & residents had to go for four hours with fresh bacon !

• same story
    June 10, 2014 - 06:49

Is Island E.M.S. sent to every call?

• Billy
    June 10, 2014 - 06:40

Nice headline for the potential tourist to read.

• LA
      June 10, 2014 - 12:37

Well, it could happen anywhere really. Maybe it will do the service of alerting tourists that the backwoods of PEI do tend to be impassable with many bogs, marshes, and alder swamps and will prevent them from making the same mistake. Anybody who grew up in the country would know that "taking a shortcut" often ends in a bit of a slog through an unexpected swamp. Been there, done that.