Islanders more satisfied with Ghiz Liberals: poll

Teresa Wright

CRA May 2014 poll results

Prince Edward Islanders have increased their satisfaction levels with the Robert Ghiz government, according to the latest poll results from Corporate Research Associates.

A recent CRA survey found over one-half of P.E.I. residents are either completely or mostly satisfied with the overall performance of the government – an increase of 12 points since February.

Meanwhile, the number of Islanders who say they are dissatisfied dropped by 10 points to 41 per cent.

The Ghiz Liberals also held onto their majority support from decided voters in party preference, holding steady at 53 per cent.

The Progressive Conservatives, meanwhile, have moved back into second place, receiving a six-point boost in support this quarter, now standing at 23 per cent.

The PC party has been third behind the uneleceted NDP since August of 2013.

The NDP is now in third place at 21 per cent, down one point this quarter.

The Green party, meanwhile, lost traction, resting at three per cent compared with seven per cent in February.

Liberal Leader Robert Ghiz continues to remain the most popular leader.

Four in ten Islanders surveyed say they prefer Ghiz as premier.

NDP Leader Mike Redmond remains second behind Ghiz in personal support, but went down by two points since the last poll, standing now at 17 per cent..

Interim PC Leader Steven Myers gained three points now has the personal support of 12 per cent of Islanders.

Peter Bevan-Baker of the Green Party stands at six per cent, while eight per cent of Islanders prefer none of P.E.I.’s current political party leaders.

These results are based on a sample of 300 adult Islanders, surveyed by telephone between May 8 to May 22.

Overall results are considered accurate to within plus or minus 5.7 percentage points, 95 out of 100 times.

The margin of error for voters who said which political party they prefer is higher, as it is based on a sample size of 180 voters. Party results are considered accurate to within plus or minus 7.3 per cent.

Comments

Comments

• they suck
    June 06, 2014 - 22:20

I certainally not vote for them again . All my life I voted liberal .. Its only my one vote . And I certainally dont matter .Thats for sure . They couldnt give a hoot about any one on this Island unless you status quo . You dont ever see them unless they want a vote . They gonna get a door slammed in there face if they show up at my place .

• LBC
    June 04, 2014 - 12:55

• up easter
    June 04, 2014 - 12:08

way to go ghiz keep up the good work.

• Sean
    June 04, 2014 - 06:51

Satisfied ...... HA!!!! the sooner ur outta office Ghiz the better off PEI will be. The choices in spending this islands money have drove us deeper and deeper into debt so no matter gets in green/ndp/ liberals they have a hell of a mess to clean up. You dont listen to ur people like plan B no one wanted it and ghiz pushed through and also took peoples homes just for a highway.

• Critical Thinking?
    June 04, 2014 - 06:43

If Islanders needed a indicator that our school system is failing, the results of this poll must be it.

• BA
    June 04, 2014 - 06:43

If Robert Ghiz and the rest of the liberals is the best PEI has got to manage our Island, we may as well put our heads between our legs and kiss our ass good-bye.

• LBC
      June 04, 2014 - 13:00

Come on now I have heard nothing but NEGATIVE THINGS , about Gize in sometime .I sure give him a thumps down in all , he has said and done . Wake up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BA I could not have said it better .

• Pete
    June 04, 2014 - 06:25

Sad fact of the matter is that the poll results likely don't necessarily show that people are happy with the Liberals ... it is more likely that they simply don't see any alternative to the Liberals at this point in time because the Conservatives and NDP give the appearance of being weak and ineffective.

• What a joke
    June 04, 2014 - 06:11

Satisfied or not alternative! I'd vote for anyone except Robert Ghiz!

• billy P
    June 04, 2014 - 05:34

NDP will lose all support and will have no one elected, once the PC get a good leader majority of the present you see for NDP willbe back to the PC......Mike Redmond messed up hauling Mitchel Tweel and Danny Redmond with him! At least 5 more yrs of Liberal majority !

• Angus
    June 03, 2014 - 22:36

This polling firm must be associated with EKOS they never conducted a national poll that the Liberals don't when, even though the Conservatives win the elections.

• Stewart Smith
    June 03, 2014 - 21:50

If you don't count people who were born as liberals, or dumb people, or the self interested, or those with connections to the party - I doubt they would get 10% of the vote.

• not this girl
    June 03, 2014 - 21:15

This poll is as crooked as the rest of the government. Definately not getting my vote, nor from anyone I know. Government is all fixed anyhow. Just another form of organized crime to keep their own pockets full.

• jim
    June 03, 2014 - 19:27

God help us, ---

• looks good
    June 03, 2014 - 19:24

looks good- feels bad- we need to clean house when the time comes, - for now we can just sit tight.

• rita
    June 03, 2014 - 19:19

It is very easy to get a poll to come out the way you want to, a nd don`t think this out fit is unbiased, - in any event, the people will have their say on voting day, -and look what happened in BC, polls were totally wrong, - so let the Liberals believe the poll, and we sill show they were wrong, when the time comes. Hang in there people, we will get rid of these yet.

• Evidence.
      June 04, 2014 - 06:57

What is your evidence that this poll was not unbiased?

• 70 No Job
    June 03, 2014 - 19:01

I guess they never asked the 70 year old not qualified to work at Tims. The poll was from foreign workers as I guess they are happy.

• Joe Blow
    June 03, 2014 - 17:55

Its very obvious that these polls are very bias!! They must only be calling Liberal supporters and the questions on the survey are obviously geared towards supporting the Liberals. People need to make the right choices when it comes to the next election and vote Ghiz and his morons out of power....not matter who takes over. There also needs to be an investigation as to whether the election is rigged or not. So many people on PEI are fed up with the lack of work the Liberals are doing for Islanders with the tax dollars we pay. They are wasting them and spending them very carelessly. We need to cover all our basis when it comes to the next election.

• huh
      June 03, 2014 - 18:43

Lol. Sure. That's what it is. I love the way posters call Lies! Bias! Corrupt! every time something comes out that contradicts their rhetoric. Maybe your point of view is just wrong? Or maybe the polling company is a fraud and would make up a poll that supports the Liberals? Let me think... Hmmm. No, I think I will side with CRA on this one. Far more likely is that a) there's no alternative to the liberals and b) there is a healthy portion of the Island population that votes Liberal no matter what. That's a wee bit more believable than a corrupt poll.

• Not A Chance
    June 03, 2014 - 17:55

I don't believe it. It wouldn't surprise me if the poll is fake. Something the delusional Liberals made up.

• Dave
    June 03, 2014 - 17:54

I guess most of the 23% who support the Conservatives have nothing to do but sit around and bash the Liberals. Get a life boys and girls and a leader !!!!

• I Just Can't Believe
    June 03, 2014 - 16:57

I just can't believe that us islanders are as stupid as this poll states . Cripes , the way the island is bleeding RED and the people still think Ghiz is a good premier . He is the worse one I have ever seen in my time & that's quite a few of them . I can't believe IT .

• knowbetter
    June 03, 2014 - 16:54

Did they ask the people that were forced to move out west.the people that died waiting to get to see a doctor,a parent of student in a class of 32 in grade 4 a teacher that will be losing their job?

• REAP WHAT YOU SOW
    June 03, 2014 - 16:12

If this gang is voted in again you people deserve whatever Ghiz and gang do to you. I am not saying that there is anyone better out there to vote for but we already know the track record of this bunch don't we BRADLEY. We desperately need another column on the ballot that says NONE OF THE ABOVE.

• rob
    June 03, 2014 - 16:07

obviously the people who were polled are extremely uneducated or suckling on the proverbial teat of this so called government!!!

• Bradley B
    June 03, 2014 - 15:29

Surprised? Can't think of anyone who approves of Ghiz? You're probably out of touch with how the majority feels. The CRA has a track record of accurate polls: http://cra.ca/don%E2%80%99t-lose-faith-in-polling-cra-has-accurately-called-elections-for-more-than-20-years/

• knowbetter
      June 03, 2014 - 19:37

The present government is so backward it would not surprise me if they sit in a bucket of water to get a drink.

• Winston Smith
    June 03, 2014 - 15:08

Mini-Truth statistics are double-plus good!

• Margin for error
    June 03, 2014 - 14:19

So with the margin of error the Tories could be at 29% and the NDP could be at 15%. That sounds more believable to most Islanders.

• Observer from the East
    June 03, 2014 - 14:14

Oh, how the Tory hacks are howling today... That being said, if they could ever get a decent leader soon, they may start attracting more average Islanders. But I agree, they should be doing this ASAP. They will get absolutely nowhere with Myers. As for the NDP, they never make it anywhere without some strong candidates

• QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS
    June 03, 2014 - 13:43

Who paid for this poll? I am guessing that is one question that will not be answered. I have talked to many many people over the last few weeks and have not met one that would vote this mini mafia in again. The only people i would assume that would vote for this crew or approve of them in this survey are liberal supporters that want to keep their kickbacks and handouts going, not the people of this province who want a decent and honest place to live. I am not a person to get involved with political parties of any suit but to me not voting or voting for Ghiz and gang are both wasted votes.

• Political nerd
    June 03, 2014 - 13:41

It was pretty obvious that people were feigning support for the NDP as a protest. Once the PCs have a leadership contest you'll see 10% that's going to the NDP swing back to the PCs. Still, that only puts them at about 35% support. So the new Tory leader will have to win over 15-20% support. It's a few thousand people spread out across about 20 districts. Can they do it? I think so. Especially while the Ghiz Liberals are planning to close schools, ignore families, and put party patronage ahead of jobs and common sense. Hurry up and get moving on the leadership front, Tories. You have a job to do.

• cathy grant
    June 03, 2014 - 13:25

Well, these pollsters certainly aren't polling me or anyone I know. I think Robert Ghiz will be remembered as one of the worst Premiers PEI has ever had.

• R.BAMBRICK
    June 03, 2014 - 13:19

I doubt this must be there own party.... they destroyed our schools, health care, construction and every other thing they touch. survey cant be islanders..

• don
      June 03, 2014 - 19:01

they say they called. what proof do we have they did? those figures will show better come the vote.

• Math?
    June 03, 2014 - 13:01

I guess math isn't a strong point for the author of this article. 21% is second and 23% is third? Must be a product of the Island education system. The same system that produces people stupid enough to have a favorable opinion of ghiz and the liberals.

• Fred Affleck
      June 03, 2014 - 20:20

It's in alphabetical order for God's sake

• Math?
      June 03, 2014 - 21:37

If you had read the story before it was edited you would have READ them calling the NDP in second place and the cons in third for gods sake.