Woman tells judge she blacks out on alcohol, pills

Kings County Provincial Court, Georgetown.

GEORGETOWN - A woman who told a provincial court judge she blacks out after mixing pills with alcohol was asked if she planned to celebrate her 21st birthday.

Alexandra Lea Aitken was charged with impaired driving last March after police in Souris responded to a car in a ditch. She appeared in court here Thursday and pled guilty.

Police found the driver smelled of alcohol and was in possession of numerous prescription drugs.

Aitken defended herself and told Judge Nancy Orr she uses prescription drugs for pain relief. When the judge asked if she had mixed the drugs with alcohol that day, Aitken confirmed.

“I always black out when I drink,’’ she said.

Judge Orr questioned whether the accused planned on growing older if she continued such mixing practices and sentenced Aitken to a $1,000 fine and nine days in jail.

Geographic location: GEORGETOWN

Comments

Comments

• Doesn't Matter
    May 28, 2014 - 14:01

Yet I was sentenced to 30 days for dangerous driving by Judge Orr. I wasn't under the influence of any alcohol or drugs and no previous criminal record. In any other court it would have been a speeding ticket. Gotta love Orr's biased sentences. PS I'm a guy

• Gary gallant
    May 27, 2014 - 15:19

What is wrong with this province.I retired in may and thinking on moving here.I am having second thoughts.I passed out at work one time they took me to the hospital.next thing I knew, they pulled my driver licence .I had to get a C.A.T. Scan and blood work and go to a neurologist,summit it to the motor Vehicle division .to get them back.who says the person doesn't have a medical condition. Lucky it was a ditch,rather then a school bus full of kids.they should investigate to make sure it won't happen again.

• intobed
      May 27, 2014 - 16:42

I agree. This girl needs her head examined.

• J
    May 27, 2014 - 11:57

Maybe this young woman should stop using pills and alcohol. If they cause her to black out, also give up driving...........and while she's at it have her head checked to see if there's a working brain in there.

• Billy
    May 27, 2014 - 10:38

And I suppose she will still keep her licence, if she had one.

• leagle beagle
      May 27, 2014 - 12:22

no.. if convicted under 253 of the criminal code (impaired driving or driving with blood alcohol over 80 mg%), then there is a mandatory driving prohibition under the criminal code... and another under provincial legislation