Large anti-abortion rally held at Province House in Charlottetown

Mitch MacDonald

About 300 in attendance for pro-life march

Provincial, national and international groups are working together to ‘force’ government to make abortions available in Prince Edward Island, says a leader in the province’s pro-life movement.

More than 300 individuals took part in the P.E.I. March for Life from St. Dunstan’s Basilica towards Province House on Sunday.

The purpose was to voice opposition towards the possibility of the procedure ever being allowed in the province, as well as to call an end for funding of “non-medically necessary” abortions performed in other provinces.

Holly Pierlot, president of P.E.I. Right to Life, described P.E.I. as being at a crisis point in regards to abortion.

“(They’re joining) forces right now to force P.E.I. to have abortions on our soil,” she said, referring to the National Abortion Federation, P.E.I. Advisory Council on the Status of Women, UPEI professors and the provincial NDP. “They’re angry with us for our support of life, they only propose death as a solution.”

The issue has been in the forefront of the province for the past two years. P.E.I. is the only Canadian province to not offer abortion services in-province.

The service is available to Island women in Halifax and Fredericton, with costs covered if the procedure is done in hospital with a doctor’s referall. Travel costs are not covered.

Pierlot said abortion specifically is not a right provided to women under the constitution and that the province’s current status is based in politics and walks a line of compromise.

The group is asking the province to organize a committee to examine the definition of medical necessity and to change legislation so that all non-medically necessary abortions receive no funding through tax dollars.

“We are confident when the truth of abortion is examined and brought to light there will be great hope P.E.I. will continue to become more pro-life,” said Pierlot.

The group isn’t the only one making a request to government in regards to abortion services.

The National Abortion Federation is holding a press conference at Don and Marion McDougall Hall at UPEI at 11 a.m. this Wednesday to discuss its own proposal that has been made to the P.E.I. medical advisory committee.

The federation submitted a proposal to government which would see three doctors come to P.E.I. to perform abortions in existing local hospitals.

The federation said offering the procedure would incur little-to-no major changes or costs to the province, with money now going towards off-Island abortions being redirected to P.E.I.

That proposal has appeared to have stalled, as Premier Robert Ghiz told The Guardian in an interview last week that he believes the current policy is working.

Ghiz pointed to P.E.I.’s small size and that several other medical services are also provided off-Island.

Lloyd Kelly, state deputy of P.E.I. Knights of Columbus, was one of several speakers during Sunday’s rally.

Kelly spoke for the majority of the group when he said he didn’t want to see “abortion on demand” in P.E.I. or anywhere else.

“We all support the idea if we don’t start putting an end to this practice our churches, schools and especially the health system is definitely going to continue to suffer,” he said. “If the government representatives in the province continue to make these abortions so easy and continue to pay for non-medically necessary abortions, we will all lose.”

Tracadie-Hillsborough Park MLA Buck Watts and Education Minister Allan MacIsaac were the only politicians in attendance at the event.

Watts said he doesn’t feel abortion should be used as a means of birth control but also said he respected the opinions of those who think otherwise.

“We are all here because our parents years ago made a conscious decision that we should be born, that we should be part of life because we have the right to be here. We have the right to life.”

The march was a joint effort between the Right to Life Association, P.E.I. Knights of Columbus and the P.E.I. Catholic Women’s League.

Organizations: Province House, Knights of Columbus

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Iceland

Comments

Comments

• yikes
    May 28, 2014 - 16:17

Look the answer is simple Bring abortion to PE if there are groups that want to stand in front of the abortion clinics and shame women for entering them, let them go ahead. everyone can still share their beliefs with each other, whether it's for or against abortion, but this way, those who want to have abortions can do so. no one should stand in the way of others rights. Women have a right to get an abortion. Women have a right to have abortion clinics on PE

• We have the law, we need the access
    May 28, 2014 - 00:42

Holly Pierlot did get one thing right in her speech that P.E.I is at a crises point. It is unacceptable that P.E.I government goes against the Canada Health Act, and forcing Islander women to travel great distances to get their abortions.

• Then sue
      May 28, 2014 - 11:49

If the laws so clear, get a lawyer and start criminal proceedings. Are you willing to do more than anonymous accusation in a newspaper comment section? C'mon. Let's see what you've got.

• J.D.
    May 27, 2014 - 20:03

I hear the right to choose a lot in the comments above. I am against abortion soley because I believe that these unborn babies deserve to have the same chance we were given at life. I know that rape, etc...can not be avoided and sometimes end up causing a woman to become pregnant. I can't imaginr how it would feel. Abortion though, in my opinion, is leaving it a little too late. It can take a month before you know if you are pregnant, why not go to the hospital and get help. There's always PlanB. Also if you don't want, or are not ready, to raise a child, there is always someone who is. Adoption can benefit the birth mother and a woman who longs to be a mother. I think abortion is sometimes abused. Woman think oh I can just have an abortion if I end up pregnant. Like the little life inside of them is worth nothing. On the other hand...providing abortion services on pei could be beneficial. There are woman who will go to great lengths to terminate a pregnancy on their own. Which can harm then and ultimately the baby who may not die but suffer injuries instead. Everyone deserves a choice...yes, but what about those who can't make a choice. Really its hypocritical in a way. People are fighting for the right to choose yet they are taking the right away from someone who cant speak for themselves. Anyways whatever happens, happens. People can have their own opinions. This is just mine.

• Feminist mom
      May 28, 2014 - 09:05

I'm just curious if anyone has actually talked to any women considering abortion or who have gone through it? From my experience most women do not take the decision lightly. It's easy to sit on the side lines and preach about what people should and shouldn't do but where is the follow up support? If a women has to have an unwanted child where is the financial support to help her pay for daycare or a continued education? If you think someone else out there wants her unwanted child are YOU willing to take on the responsibility? Adoption sounds like a wonderful idea and I applaud and support anyone going through it but it is unbelievably expensive and can take years to complete. Children also deserve a healthy loving environment to grow. The truth of the matter, weather we chose to acknowledge it or not, is that some people can not provide that. In MY opinion it is much more damaging to a child to be moved from home to home, ignored and unloved or even abused.

• Some do
      May 28, 2014 - 15:12

Two very recent public examples come to mind. A woman in the UK who had her third abortion because she got a chance to audition for Big Brother, and an abortion councillor in the US who made a YouTube video of how wonderful an experience it was. I'm assuming that since those were just the hyped ones, eh are not unique,

• Feminist mom
    May 27, 2014 - 19:57

Everyone has a right to an opinion but we need to stop judging others on their life choices. Postpartum depression is real, daycare is more expensive then a mortgage, sleep deprivation can drive a person to unthinkable acts, pregnancy can be a dangerous , scary and emotional nightmare for some women., there are thousands of unwanted children waiting for a home , and yes accidents do happen. Stop judging , instead support each other for being strong enough to make the best decision, whatever it may be, for you and your family.

• confused
      May 28, 2014 - 11:56

" can drive a person to unthinkable acts, " soooooo? We are fighting to get people not to oppose a women from performing unthinkable acts. Generally unthinkable acts are things one should not do. Not doing anything for the cause here.

• Feminist mom
      May 28, 2014 - 15:56

Well now you're just being nit picky and it sounds desperate.Obviously by my ENTIRE comment I'm pro choice and don't think abortion is an "unthinkable act" . When I say " unthinkable acts" I'm talking about a mother of two I know. She is well educated, a midwife, and happily married. After a really bad week and lots of sleep deprevation she found herself in her car with her two young boys and the car running. Thankfully she came to her senses and everyone was ok. But that in my personal opinion is an "unthinkable act". We can't force women to have children and then leave them to struggle

• Feminist mom
      May 28, 2014 - 16:34

• Why can't we all just get along
    May 27, 2014 - 18:47

Point is... Unless it directly involves you mind your own business. No one knows anything until they are involved and no one should be able to tell people what they can and can't do. If someone has an abortion they obviously feel the suffering... No one wants to do it. People are pretty annoying why can't we all try to support people who are thinkig of having an abortion, how about adopting more children, and even teaching boys that just because they can't get pregnant they get girls pregnant. The blame can't all fall on the girl but when it comes down to it nature wins, it's the girl who carries the child ad therefore is her choice and if people could be mature and talk about options I think we could solve a lot of problems in this world.

• What
      May 27, 2014 - 19:44

If there are no issues with abortion, why should be care about what boys are taught. There is nothing about the whole situation that they have a choice about, they don't choose whether there is a birth or an abortion, and expecting them to stay celibate is just plain stupid. The church tells priests to be celibate, and see how that worked out.

• Alice
      May 28, 2014 - 16:00

"Boys get girls pregnant" is not an accurate statement. It takes 2 people. And it is statements like this that makes the guys to be the bad ones. Some guys don't even get a chance to raise their child or even know about him or her. Please don't blame the guy.

• Todd Stanley
    May 27, 2014 - 15:41

We should be fighting for the right to choose, instead of fighting to take away peoples freedoms, options and beliefs just because they don't align with yours.

• you need to be more specific
      May 27, 2014 - 16:50

Right to choose is a very vague term, and intentionally so to allow opposition to one particular action to be denounced as if it was a blanket statement. I could "choose" to shoot my neighbour. I could choose to do many things that would outrage people. The right to choose is not the right to do.

• Luke LeClair
    May 27, 2014 - 09:49

Great article and I am so happy it made the front page and I hope that this effort continues. The only way to face this dilemma is to keep it in the public eye and stay hopeful and strong in our resolve for the truth to prevail.

• Den
    May 27, 2014 - 07:21

Basically, I'm tired of hearing about two morons getting it on and being too lazy either to put a condom on or take birth control and make the fetus pay for their incompetence. If you don't want a kid, don't make one to begin with. And yes, I know there are other circumstances such as rape, incest or danger to the mother that my statement doesn't apply to.

• Lynn
      May 27, 2014 - 15:01

Those other circumstances are why a lot of people get an abortion to begin with. As for resorting to name calling of people who have accidental pregnancies; birth control isn't 100% effective, you could be using a condom and/or hormones to prevent pregnancy and still end up pregnant. Are those people morons? Don't generalize to make your point.

• ummmm
      May 27, 2014 - 16:56

I think you missed the point. I suspect the point was that he was opposed to abortion, and that the persons involved cannot claim that they did nothing to create the situation. Many apologetics, including the silly violinist one, tend to make it sound like it happened out of the blue and there was no way it could have been avoided and the child is assaulting the mother and it should be treated as a capital crime. Den is pointing out that someone actually did something to cause the situation that they have decided they do not want responsibility for so everyone needs to pitch in and pay to fix for them.

• Den
      May 27, 2014 - 21:31

Thank you ummm for that clarification. And Lynn, when I say morons, I mean people who have no concerns for the consequences of their actions, not people who have actually taken steps to prevent pregnancy only to have it fail on them.

• a number of false arguments
    May 27, 2014 - 07:12

If you do not like abortion, don't have one. It has nothing to do with you, mind your own business. If you aren't adopting all the unwanted children, you have no right to say anything about what happens to them. BIGOT!!!!! Such arguments are not very good. By the same token, if we bring up the subject of the sex slave trade, if I accepted this form of argument then I would have to say that it is none of my business, and if I didn't like sex slavery then all I had to do was not own a sex slavery and if I was not willing to buy all the sex slaves out there than I had no right to say anything. I do not agree with the pro-choice arguments, but am absolutely disgusted that if the position is so clear why it is championed by such low quality argumentation and simple grade school name calling.

• Very tired
    May 26, 2014 - 23:02

If you cannot support abortion you should support the unwanted children being born!

• ummmm
      May 27, 2014 - 17:00

If you cannot support genocide, invite them over to your house and take care of them yourself. Same logic. If you don't want someone to die, you need to take care of them.

• Get rid of child support
    May 26, 2014 - 22:29

If birth is a woman's choice, then no man should ever be forced to support a child that he had no say in whether it was born. If we have abortion as an option, and a woman does not choose it, it is her choice and she should support the child.

• Tiem to stand up for women's rights
    May 26, 2014 - 21:46

They say the "majority of women are pro life here on PEI....I would challenge that....for 120 years we were held back by political and religous bigotry,families were divided over it ..it was pure heartbreak...now we have 400 people out of 145000 telling Islanders What their strong opinion is ,their idiology, their way of seeing things... IT is their right.....I will fight for that...but not the message...pro choice is a right also ......if a woman wants a medical procedure they have the right to do as they choose...and some Dr's are willing to support this.....as usual the politicians TORY"S and Liberals have no backbone to say that a women has rights.....all because a small bunch of religous pundits try to impose their will on others.......for a few votes and continuation of their pension........The majority of islanders are pro choice...the world has changed.....it's a medical procedure not a full grown fetus....it's a lump,a cyst, a bump........Island women should step forward and demand this medical procedure it is their right.........I never saw to many medical professionalls in this crowd.....ummmmI wonder why....

• There is a difference
      May 26, 2014 - 22:17

People used to think Africans were not as evolved as Europeans, and therefore less human. It was used for years to justify mistreating them, and the courts upheld the right to do so. It was a done deal. Story closed. Abolition of slavery was opposed because the slave owners had rights and they were being violated by those who wanted to remove the slaves and cause great economic hardship to the former owners. When I hear the standard rhetoric for abortion, I just hear the slave owners crying about how they weren't really persons and people should mind their own business.

• To difference
      May 27, 2014 - 06:40

People used to think that women were less than equal. You still seem to.

• There is a difference
      May 27, 2014 - 09:59

Nice completely missing the point in order to lush an agenda. I am against humans being less equal to the point that one has no issue with them being killed for the sake of convenience. I may be old school, but I still think being inconvenienced is less serious than being dead.

• WTF
      May 27, 2014 - 17:25

So? You are claiming you are a cyst that grew too big and was expelled by your mother's body? This denigrates motherhood to designate women who were too stupid to get a growth removed before it became a bigger issue.

• who cares
    May 26, 2014 - 21:30

What about the mother's life? Many women will be forced off their medications during pregnancies. Why are their lives put aside just for a child that they may not have the means to take care of. What about rape victims? I find it horribly disgusting that people are trying to ban abortion. If you do not agree with abortion, simply don't get an abortion. Get off your high horses and stop trying to impress everyone with your Bibles. Pro-Choice. Enough said.

• ummmm
      May 27, 2014 - 17:02

That is as different conversation. If the mothers life is in danger, that is a different situation than just wanting to be not pregnant by whatever means necessary.

• Unsurprised
    May 26, 2014 - 21:02

I think it is easy to advocate for abortion in an abstract sense. I think it may be harder to stand in front of a group of people and show a video of exactly what takes place during an abortion, and then tell the listeners that they are hateful bigots if they still think there is anything wrong. But, we will never know, as I doubt I will ever see that happen.

• Why not
      May 26, 2014 - 22:19

Why would anyone have an issue?

• It would seem
      May 26, 2014 - 22:51

Interesting, but you will never see that. In the US there have been attempts to avoid potential clients of abortion centers from having the procedure fully explained or other options presented. There are claims of not being any support for expectant mother who choose not to abort, but was there not a case a few years ago in Charlottetown with the sign for a pregnancy crisis centre hidden by flyers to the local abortion advocacy group? The biggest advantage pro-choice advocates have is keeping the issue as an abstract one. To keep people from rethinking it, they can't actually stop to think deeply about it outside predefined limits. People thinking may lead to unexpected results. People may disagree with you, so that needs to be covered up by rhetoric, and name calling, and simply trying to embarrass people into shutting up. I am not an advocate of removing any legal status. A woman has the right to choose. I am am advocate of every woman who has to make a choice having ALL the information and knowing ALL the options, and not simply being told she has a choice between abortion and being railroaded by bigots. I strongly suspect that if a video presentation of an abortion was to be included in sex ed classes, there would be screams that it should never be allowed. If so, one has to wonder why a group who had the moral high ground would fear the truth. But, if someone wants to prove me wrong, rather than call names, I would be quite impressed.

• Not surprised either
      May 27, 2014 - 17:06

Gianna Jessen. Not being dead is politically incorrect.

• To not surprised either
      May 28, 2014 - 15:15

One word. so?

• you know
    May 26, 2014 - 19:45

There are people who think abortion is wrong but don't want to criminalize it. But they are also woman hating bigots too, aren't they?

• Perhaps
      May 26, 2014 - 20:12

• I wonder
    May 26, 2014 - 18:38

I wonder how many of the attendees are also homophones?

• lol
      May 26, 2014 - 18:59

Yes. I am sure that some of them sounded similar.

• Democracy in action
    May 26, 2014 - 18:01

This is the benefit of a democracy. Every citizen has the right, and I would argue the responsibility, to stand up and make their opinions on issues known. It is clear that many do not like having both sides of an issue getting public access. I say, if you do not like the other side having a public forum, then you have a weak case. As for "the case is closed" and "it has already been decided", it had been decided that slaves and women were not really people. They were closed cases, but people who felt otherwise actually gout out and persuaded people of their views using arguments ( and there is a difference between arguing and shouting people down, although that has been lost in our culture) and not forcing people to be quiet if they disagreed. As for the religious part, one does not need to be religious at all not to support abortion. That is either an unthought out argument or a deliberate lie to discredit the speakers ( see Genetic Fallacy). Even if it was purely religious, the Charter says that they have the right to express their view of what they think should be done. You don't have to enshrine it in law, but the Charter says they have the right to express their views.

• Makes me sick
    May 26, 2014 - 16:34

The UN has defined lack of easy access to abortion as a form of torture. All these people are protesting for the right to torture women. They should all be put on some sort of watch list. Domestic terrorism.

• arrg
      May 26, 2014 - 17:21

exactly. That is why we need a record of who these people are. They are dangerous.

• Truth B Told
    May 26, 2014 - 15:03

This bunch would have spent their time better at the anti-monsanto rally. No sense saving babies when they'll all be poisoned by pesticides and most of the food won't grow because there are no bees to pollinate it.

• White-hairs and their brainwashed kids
    May 26, 2014 - 14:10

Cute. A bunch of bible thumpers out doing their best to impress their magical sky-god. Yup, don't worry, your place in Heaven is reserved, God definitely saw you all out there today, fighting the good fight! If you sincerely care about the lives of other people, perhaps you should sell your homes and donate every penny that you can spare to the needy/helpless -- especially in other places, like Africa. Lots of dead, dying and starving children there -- and those ones have actually been born(!) Your God kills babies all the time. Everything is according to his plan, don't forget. If every egg and sperm is a potential life, then you're all murderers for not being pregnant as often as humanly possible. Think of how selfish you Christians are; you think you can decide how many kids "is enough", based on how comfortable you'd like your life to be. The average woman has thousands and thousands of eggs, each one a potential life. Each one that goes unfertilized is essentially "murdered" by your lack of compassion. Get in the bedroom, and get pregnant. It's what God wants, don't you know it! Be fruitful and multiply, my mindless friends! Lord knows there aren't enough un-educated hillbilly morons on the Island already.

• Stewie Griffin
      May 26, 2014 - 15:11

THANKYOU!

• Really now
      May 26, 2014 - 16:05

I can see why you would not want to put your real name to such a rant.. Not only is it hateful to certain groups, it is not even accurately portraying what it is you are attacking. It just makes you sound stupid. Get an education and learn what it is you hate before you attack it.

• hmmmm
      May 26, 2014 - 16:37

Is that not a good definition of a bigot? Hating people for some warped idea of what they might be right and not bothering to even find out if your objections have any validity? The only time I have every heard that view is when I have someone screaming at me saying that is what I believe.

• Fed up
      May 26, 2014 - 18:22

Well...those of you fighting for abortion....Trudeau is on your side....have some marajuana and get an abortion...and, he says, if you don't go along with MY belief, get put of my Party! Just what we need running the country...someone with HIS opinion ...no one allowed to have one of their own!! Wouldn't THAT be great democracy?!?!

• Head Shaker
      May 27, 2014 - 17:29

"- especially in other places, like Africa. Lots of dead, dying and starving children there -- and those ones have actually been born(!) " So, are you trying to make the case that a woman on PEI killing an inconvenient child will solve the issue of starving children in Africa? Am I supposed to consider that a deep insight that will make people completely drop any objections they might have?

• jjd
    May 26, 2014 - 13:26

Great to see so many out. Good stuff.

• Middle O'Road
    May 26, 2014 - 12:59

Slogan for both sides. Abortion ~ Do not kid yourself.

• Oh Dear
    May 26, 2014 - 12:03

well this rally seems to be the product of middle class ideals... I feel as though PE should be a Pro-choice province. This means that everyone can still express their beliefs freely, but that pregnant women will have the choice to decide what is best for them. We also should not shame women for doing what they think is best. Whether they decide to keep the baby or not is their decision. Whether they regret it later or they do not is also their decision.

• IBC
      May 26, 2014 - 13:02

DON'T GET PREGNANT IN THE FIRST , I AM NOT MIDDLE CLASS JUST SMATER . It free to those who want it just ask , BIRTH CONTROL IS THERE , JUST FOR THE ASKING , OR SIMPLE DON'T DO IT .

• to IBC
      May 26, 2014 - 13:23

You are clearly the smatest person on here.

• To IBC
      May 26, 2014 - 15:09

You are aware that birth control fails, right? No method is 100% effective, in fact at least 50% of people getting abortions were actually using some form of birth control when they got pregnant. As for abstinence, there is a reason why states that teach abstinence-only education have the highest rates of teen pregnancy. Married couples who don't want children should not have to remain abstinent because you don't like abortion.

• Head shaker
      May 26, 2014 - 16:21

Stating there is a reason for someone, and not giving it is meaningless. There is no way to tell if the stated meaning is valid or even applies in this case. I hope the rest of the reasoning is more sophisticated and not just calling people bigot.

• Birth control?
      May 26, 2014 - 18:09

I have a beautiful baby boy. There is not one part of me that would regret having him -ever. That being said, I got pregnant because of the Alysena birth control recall that happened in the spring of last year. My pills were not recalled in the first round, but the second round, after I had taken the entire pack. I'm in my late 20s and have a loving and supportive family and a wonderful partner. We planned on having children, but needless to say we were caught off guard by our surprise and incurred thousands of dollars in expenses to move back to PEI from another province so we could raise our child near family. In my late 20's, as a responsible woman with a responsible partner, this couldn't have been a happier event. In my teenaged years, with college ahead of me, and a pack of faulty birth control would I have considered an abortion? You betcha. Why? Because it's my right as a woman. I should also mention that when my doctor gave me my blood test results confirming I was pregnant and it was unplanned, his first of many compassionate questions was "what would you like to do?"

• understandable
      May 26, 2014 - 18:56

I can sympathize, and in no way would say that I would think it would be an easy decision, but slave owners had the "right" to hold slaves. The US supreme court said so. There should be a better reason than because you can.

• Quiet Observer
    May 26, 2014 - 11:29

I am rather appalled at the comments the opposing sides keep making on this issue. A lot of the rhetoric that comes up only serves to diminish the maturity of the date. There will never be agreement by the two sides. Ever. They are both thoroughly entrenched in heir beliefs. It is a suicide issue for any government to deal with.

• It appears ….
    May 26, 2014 - 10:41

There appears to be more than 300 people present. There appears to be many young people. There appears to be an error in the language used in this article. The term is actually Pro-life and should be used accordingly by those supporting the cause and the media.

• Pro choicer
      May 26, 2014 - 11:03

Pro life implies that there is a pro death. Neither party is pro death. Pro choice and anti choice is the correct use of terms.

• to Pro-choicer
      May 26, 2014 - 11:52

More spin. Pro-life and pro-abortion are more accurate. Anti-choice is non specific and inflammatory, and pro-choice is a catchall spin statement by allowing non-support to be deemed as threat to anyone to make any choice. Nice try to try to spin the terms by accusing others of spinning them. You are not crusading for choice in general, but rather abortion. You are not crusading for choice in reproductive rights, because you'd be supporting easy access to IVF. You are specific to abortion. How stupid do you think people are? #EPICFAIL

• Pro Choicer
      May 26, 2014 - 13:12

Where did I say I don't support access to IVF?

• not my decision
      May 26, 2014 - 14:31

I am Pro Choice because it is not my decision to make a choice on behalf of the person(s) involved in the pregnancy .. neither would I want someone else to make the choice for me whether I have children or not. Those who advocate bringing all viable pregnancies to term should also be committed to supporting the product of these pregnancies, whether by volunteering, sponsoring or donations. If you choose to choose for someone else then become responsible for them.

• Head shaker
      May 26, 2014 - 16:08

I don't know about the poster, but I've asked pro-choicers who tried to explain why I should support them about IVF. IVF, apparently, only has anything to do with reproductive choice if you are a bigot. Reproductive rights refer to abortion ONLY.

• New Generation
    May 26, 2014 - 09:39

Wonderful to see so many young people, especially women, in attendance. Maybe some day people will see that there never was an abortion 'debate'; the Gov't simply gave us their definition of a human being and rammed it down our throats. To all the religion haters out there, that argument is a red-herring. Reason alone tells me that abortion is killing an unborn child. Your attacks on the church are feeble. BTW, I recently spoke with a woman who had an abortion many years ago. She said she as never recovered from it, but is fearful to express this openly because everyone is telling her that abortion is perfectly normal, when it is not. And just so you know, when a women is recovering psychologically from an abortion, only the church is there to help and listen; not to judge, but to understand and help the person grow.

• Young Woman
      May 26, 2014 - 13:17

Just because you knew "one woman" who had an abortion and regretted it, that does not speak for all women who have abortions. A woman's body is her body and it should remain her body throughout her life. At no point should a woman be forced into having a child that she does not want. Oh, just carry it to term and put it up for adoption, you say? Do you know how many unadopted children there are? That is NOT a solution. When will people realize that women need to decide what happens within their own bodies and their lives. A grown woman is much more important than a fetus. A grown woman has emotions, feelings, memories, and a full life already happening. People care about these children being born but then want nothing to do with them once they're born and their mother does not want them.

• hmmmm
      May 26, 2014 - 16:42

Perhaps you can tell us how many unadopted children there are, and why many who want to adopt have such a hard time to get a baby, and have to go abroad to China or Eastern Europe? I suspect most unadopted are way too old to be in any recent danger of having been aborted. Too bad you can't come up with a valid objection and not just pull a phrase out of the Planned Parenthood (a for profit abortion provider who was created for the purpose of weeding the poor and minorities out of the US gene pool) play book without checking to see the actual validity.

• Wellllllll
      May 26, 2014 - 16:46

"gave us their definition of a human being and rammed it down our throats" which is exactly what part of the opposition is coming from. Certain humans are being defined as no longer human because they are inconvenient. When this gets brought up, and the response is if they die then too %*@&ing bad, then it is not conducive to intelligent conversation.

• OK
      May 26, 2014 - 16:52

Here is my idea. Lets have the pro-choice group put up a video that describes the entire abortion procedure from beginning to end, with nothing hidden or glossed over, and we can all see exactly what we are talking about. If there is nothing wrong with abortion, there should be no issue in people seeing it in progress. I urge the PEI association to be more progressive that their US counterparts.

• to OK
      May 26, 2014 - 18:05

Why? It is obvious, and there is no longer a need to defend as it is permanently enshrined in law.

• random Islander
    May 26, 2014 - 09:29

It's fine to hold a pro-life belief. It's fine to gather around saying how much you like the pro-life ...idea. To believe abortion is wrong is even fine too. To tell people, other people what they should and should not be able to do is wrong. Frankly, it's none of these people's business what someone else decides to do. Abortion is legal and thankfully so. I'm not about to sit there and judge someone for having one. I'm not going to sit there and call someone a murderer. So to the people who want to push their believes on others, go home, close your mouth and live your life and stop trying to push your believes on other people. After you've had your rally because it's ok to gather and voice opinion even though I don't agree with it, you're entitled to it.

• to random islander
      May 26, 2014 - 11:56

Why are you pushing your beliefs on me. Hypocrite. Or are you special, and you are allowed to push your beliefs that others should shut up and not express their beliefs if they disagree with you. WE live in a democracy and every single person has the right to express their opinion whether you like it or not.

• Ange
      May 26, 2014 - 13:00

@To Random Islander: WTF is wrong with you they said "It's fine to hold a pro-life belief." They acknowledge your right to have your own beliefs. It is YOU who should shut up and sit down YOU are the hypocrite here saying they can't voice their beliefs and are forcing yours on others please think before you speak. They are not the hypocrite you are for telling them they can't voice their beliefs but here you are spouting yours. Opinions and beliefs are one thing telling someone what they can and can't do with their own body is a whole other story!

• Good Greif
      May 26, 2014 - 17:09

Could be worse. I remember a movie that came out in the last few years about a girl who found out that she was the result of a botched abortion. The idea of a survivor was so unpolitically correct, I hear she attacked via social media for not being dead.

• random islander
      May 26, 2014 - 19:12

call my a hyprocrite all you want. If you think it's right to tell women what they can or cannot do is something I wouldn't do. I don't have the right to! I did say they could rally. I don't think they should have any influence in changing the law that makes abortion ILLEGAL! I don't care if that makes me a hypocrite. Did I mention I don't have the right to tell a woman what she can or cannot? It has nothing to do with beliefs, it has to do with dignity. I'm not going to tell anyone they cannot have an abortion because I'm not raising the kid! I'm not anyone's owner. That choice is NOT mine to make. But I'd defend the right for a woman to have an abortion.

• so
      May 26, 2014 - 19:40

Perhaps calling people bigots or saying they should be on a government watch list is a better option?

• Anne Hemphill
    May 26, 2014 - 09:26

How many of us might not have been here if our mothers had a choice? I thank God every day that my mother allowed me to be born even though she wasn't married. It wouldn't only have been me that would have been my children and the generations to come. Do we really think we have the right to deny anyone life? Women do have a choice. Don't get pregnant in the first place.

• Wilma
      May 26, 2014 - 11:49

I bet you one unplanned pregnancy that you are secretly pro choice.

• Laura
      May 26, 2014 - 15:14

My mother is pro-choice. She chose to give birth to me and my siblings, and I am happy that she had the choice. Women do have a choice. And if contraception fails, or if circumstances change during your pregnancy and you no longer feel you are able to carry to term, you must be allowed the option to terminate the pregnancy.

• arrg
    May 26, 2014 - 07:19

There should have to be some sort of registration to attend such things. We need a way to tell who the haters are. Every single person who attended this should be treated the same as if they were having a KKK rally. Any man attending this rally is probably a wife beater, since it is obvious that they hate women, and any woman who attended needs to be put into a treatment program as they were either forced or brainwashed. No intelligent thinking person could be anti-abortion. Any of the costs of having abortions across should be divided among them. Make it a special tax levy to pay for the costs of out of province abortion to those who oppose it. If they have to pay for it, perhaps they will shut up and go away.

• Ffs
      May 26, 2014 - 08:28

Reading this almost makes me think there is a case for abortion.

• Sasha
      May 26, 2014 - 08:52

That is a bit harsh. I do not think they really hate women, they might not realize that because of people like them women end up unnecessary suffering. Very small percentage of them might be seeing that suffering as a positive thing as it plays into their superstition claiming it is all woman's fault.

• what the f
      May 26, 2014 - 09:13

to arrg, you need professional mental help. comparing this to the KKK??? Seek help right away. You say ,"No intelligent thinking person could be anti-abortion". In that case your mamma and your momma's mom are all idiots. Think before you comment!

• well
      May 26, 2014 - 11:58

If you are going to demonize people and scream bigot, you have to expect this type of thing. The Pro-choice campaigners have long ago abandoned reasoned response in favour of just shouting people down.

• ambrose atkins
    May 25, 2014 - 22:07

Mr. Isaac Williams - I respectfully ask you to sign into Lifesitenews and read this latest article on Mr. Trudeau - Ambrose

• Isaac Williams
      May 25, 2014 - 23:23

The reporter asked him a hypothetical about sex selective abortion-- with the intent of baiting him into saying an off the cuff remark-- to which he replied with the politically correct/safe response that abortion is something to be decided between a woman and her doctor. From there, Sun "News" published the story as 'Trudeau won't stop sex selective abortion!' It is a clear case of contorting and misrepresenting a story to meet an agenda. Reading something doesn't make it true. This is simply a case of deliberately poor journalism.

• Actually
      May 26, 2014 - 06:48

If he said that, then he did say he would not stop sex selection abortion. Do you think there is an issue with sex selection abortion? If not, why is it an issue that it is reported that he would not stop it.

• it seems
      May 26, 2014 - 07:24

It seems that in a free society, everyone is free..... to be as approving of politcally correct ideas as they want. If you vary from the meme, wait for the hateful backlash full of slander and libel. so much for allowing free speech.

• To actually
      May 26, 2014 - 11:06

Do you really think that the prime minister of canada, regardless of who it is, makes it their business to personally oversee every abortion? That's what young seem to be saying.

• Simple simple
      May 26, 2014 - 11:08

The autonomy of a living, breathing woman trumps the potential autonomy of a fetus. It's as simple as that.

• To Simple Simple
      May 26, 2014 - 12:21

Funny how it seems these feti just show up without anyone doing anything and forcibly hold women hostage. Perhaps unaborted should be charged with assault?

• Fair's fair
    May 25, 2014 - 21:00

I suppose they have a point about tax dollars going towards a cause they don't support... 300 is a good sample size, and it's largely an older crowd. I'd be willing to bet there were quite a few smokers in attendance today. Try this on for size: if/when you get lung cancer, you're on your own. I don't want my tax dollars making an excuse for your poor life choices. Maybe you could do a kickstarter or something. Fair is only fair.

• Actually
      May 26, 2014 - 06:50

So you make an assumption about the group. And them make decisions about the validity of their view based on your assumption. You are an idiot.

• To actually
      May 26, 2014 - 11:18

That's exactly what anti choice supporters do.

• Therein lies the problem
      May 26, 2014 - 11:52

And therein lies the problem. Abortionists view pregnancy as if it were a cancer- something to be eradicated.

• Pro Choicer
      May 26, 2014 - 13:15

And anti-abortionists view pregnancy as a women's 'duty'.

May 26, 2014 - 17:16

Not killing because of inconvenience should be a duty to all. Pro-choicers simply redefine that to exclude one particular group. If a mother wanted to kill an infant because they may not live a happy life, I'm sure they would be considered wrong. The only difference is which side of the birth canal they are. Apparently the doctor spinkles some magic pixie dust on them that makes them human as they pass through. Gosnell ran out of such dust so he just killed them instead.

• John
    May 25, 2014 - 20:46

I have approached those picketing before and asked that some questions, Have you fostered a child? Have you been a Big Brother or Sister? Have you adopted a child? Have you volunteered at Boys and Girls clubs? Invariably they have no response. Shame on you all. Either go back to your warm and cozy homes or put actions where your mouth is! Bunch of hypocrites.

• prolife
      May 26, 2014 - 09:56

I see this response more and more frequently- Essentially what you are saying is that nobody can advocate for the unborn until all the other injustices of the world are solved. Very poor logic. It is possible to have a voice and place value on the unborn and also the born! All souls are valuable. Infact, that is what being pro-life is all about! If they are hyprocrites, than by your logic, anyone who chooses to rally for better rights for seniors, but is not working in a seniors home must be a hyprocrite too, right? Of course not! It's crazy to think that people can't be allowed to express their opinion on a subject without being judged on whether they are "worthy" to hold that opinion. You will commonly hear pro-choicers state that pro-life advocates are judgemental people, yet, from some of these responses, it appears as if the judgemental people are on the other side of this debate.

• prolife
      May 26, 2014 - 10:59

Further to my previous reply, the current foster care system has children in it whose parents chose to keep them and they were not fit. It does not comprise of babies who were not wanted during pregnancy and are waiting for adoption. Currently, if you are pregnant and do not wish you raise your child, there are amazing adoption agencies that will place your child in a loving family immediately after birth. Adoption agencies have waiting lists of eligible parents just waiting for a baby. Perhaps that argument was valid back in the day when we had poorly run adoption agencies and orphanages, but it's completely invalid now.

• trudeau
    May 25, 2014 - 19:52

I think that it's only a matter of time before abortions will be performed in PEI, after Trudeau's manifesto on pro-choice representation. I am a non-religious, and open-minded islander. However, I think that respect for human life is (or at least should be) the basic building block of a peaceful and harmonious society. Legal abortion began for the poor, those carrying a disabled baby, the ethnic minorities, and those marginalized by society. If we embrace those people and respect their offspring as equals, there will be no need for this medical "service". Leave abortion for the governments who hate their own and dictate who can live and die. In Canada, we have enough for everybody, and no one should be unwanted.

• Perhaps
      May 26, 2014 - 08:17

Hater! Bigoted woman hater!

• coward
    May 25, 2014 - 19:03

Good on those 300 who showed up. I thought of going, but didn't want my picture in the paper, and didn't want to be labeled as a religious fanatic, because I am no such thing. I just think that human life should be the foremost value in our society, at any age or stage. And no, I do not have a houseful of foster children, but I do plan to foster in the future.

• Actually
      May 26, 2014 - 06:58

Poor logic. Are you for capital punishment? If you don't want to execute rapists, take one in to your house and take care of them yourself. Are you against torturing babies? Adopt them, otherwise it is none of your business. The minute that you speak out against something, unless you are willing to take full responsibility, you become a hypocrite.

• Bemused
    May 25, 2014 - 18:12

The predictable crowd of seniors, roping in their grandchildren. Very few young women, I see--could it be that they don't take their marching orders from the church?

• Bemused is wrong
      May 25, 2014 - 18:23

Bemused, obviously you were not at the rally. There were many young women in attendance. People like you criticize from afar without knowing any of the facts and not wanting to know. Trolls like you will also mock pro-choice rallies. For you it is all about mocking and belittling people. Get a life.

• Rita Joseph
      May 25, 2014 - 19:03

Young women are increasingly supportive of protection for unborn children at risk of abortion. Way back in the sixties radical feminists coined a spurious "right to abortion' that swept the world with its novelty and quasi-religious zeal. But 50 years of advancement in women's education has brought more objective and independent critical thinking. Education has brought us to recognition of the scientifically verifiable humanity of the victims of abortion. Biology, embryology, fetal surgery, ultrasound technology, and examination of the human remains of an abortion all tell us that the "contents of the uterus", selected to be aborted, is a human being, belonging to the human family, a human being who even at the earliest stages can be identified as a daughter or son, a 'who' not a generic 'thing'. It is the crazy mixed-up anti-scientific reconstruction of the fetus by an aging ideology that is now being rejected by growing numbers of educated women and girls all around the world.

• To Rita Joseph
      May 26, 2014 - 17:19

No, they are not. Unless they are brainwashed as religious fundamentalists. Religions are dying quickly, and this will be the last generation were such things will ever even be an issue.

• Ambrose Atkins
    May 25, 2014 - 18:06

Bravo to the 300. These are tiny human beings being murdered here. The pro-aborts are sounding more bizarre all the time. Now we have Mr. Justin Trudeau saying that in his opinion. selective abortion of girls is OK. What is this country coming to when we have a potential Prime Minister making such statements? What a slap in the face to the women and girls of Canada. God help us all.

• Isaac Williams
      May 25, 2014 - 19:22

Justin Trudeau has said no such thing. He said that abortion is a matter to be decided between a woman and her doctor. Stop spreading lies.

• Actually
      May 26, 2014 - 06:52

Please point out the difference.

• Paul Schratz
    May 25, 2014 - 17:09

You title your photo series "anti-choice rally"? Careful, your bias is showing.

• It is a women's choice.
      May 25, 2014 - 18:51

No one has the right to question a woman's right to choice. The Catholic church and the 300 are, in this order, wrong and misguided, collectively dangerous.

• At the march
      May 25, 2014 - 21:36

Should have read Pro-Life Rally!!

• Ffs
      May 26, 2014 - 08:21

You should be able to question anything. No one is denying a woman's right to choose. They are expressing disagreement with the right to have government tax dollars pay for them to do. If you want to keep any rights, you need the right to express your opinions, and not just the politically correct ones championed by for-profit US industries.

• To Ffs
      May 26, 2014 - 11:11

Not a fan of Medicare, are we?

• ffs
      May 26, 2014 - 12:26

Not when it ends the life of another human. When you can prove to me that a human is not intentionally killed, I'll consider your view. As long as it is a human being killed, for a reason other than a capital crime or a direct imminent threat to the life of another, I am not interested in the reason. Especially if it is that they are inconvenient. I suppose only a woman hating idiot could hold that view. That seems to be the general tone of many pro-choice theme.

• to Ffs
      May 26, 2014 - 13:21

A fetus is arguably a human being. A woman is indisputably a human being. Human rights trump maybe-a-human rights.

• FFA
      May 26, 2014 - 16:10

When in doubt kill?

• This is why
      May 26, 2014 - 16:18

This is why I do not support pro-choice causes, even though I am not in favour of restricting. At least, I have not been in the past. Pro-choice advocates who I see are often name calling bullies who simultaneously claim to be victims. The most intelligent claim put forward is drowned in the screams of any opposing opinion as bigotry. If everyone, except a few bigots support abortion it will remain legal. This is a democracy. In a democracy, if it ever becomes illegal it is likely due to supporters simply making potential supporters not want anything to do with them. Grow the ^}%# up. The more I hear, the more I don't want anything to do with you.

• Disgusted
    May 25, 2014 - 14:44

I think there are better places for children to be on a Sunday afternoon than at an anti-abortion protest. They should be spending their time playing outside, rather than being dragged outside for a protest they know nothing about. How many of those children know exactly what an abortion is? Do their mother's want a medal or something for not having an abortion. Let kids be kids and let them have their own beliefs when they are old enough to understand.

• umm
      May 26, 2014 - 17:47

I remember seeing kids trotted out to support abortion and holding signs.

• Mother and health care person
    May 25, 2014 - 13:33

Isn't it interesting that an ALL male Group, that women can not be a part of, lead a protest about women's health! Where are the women leaders....Catholics women's league, women's institute! Stand up women of P.E I.! This is ridiculous . Why dont the Knights of Columbus start teaching the young men of the Island how to treat women so women are not rapped and abused! Then maybe we would not need abortions

• M. MacDonald
      May 25, 2014 - 15:53

It certainly looks as though that bastion of misogyny, the Catholic church has its grip on PEI. Anti-woman sentiments at their most toxic on display today.

• Ffs
      May 26, 2014 - 08:25

They are guilty of the last sin left in society. Not bowing before political correctness. In this society you can think anything you want, as long as the cultural elite agree with you. Otherwise, the semi-literate hate dogs will be unleashed on you. Do you really believe that people who believe that humans should not be killed for the sale of convenience will care if an anonymous person in a comment section wants to call them wrong?