March for Life rally opposing abortion set for Sunday in Charlottetown

FILE PHOTO - March for Life rally in Charlottetown on May 10, 2013.life marched from St. Dunstan’s Basilica to Province House Thursday where several speakers promoted their pro-life message.

Gets underway at 11:30 a.m. at St. Dunstan’s Basilica and continues up to Province House

Pro-life groups will take to the streets of Charlottetown Sunday morning for the annual March For Life.

The march, a joint effort of the P.E.I. Catholic Women’s League, the P.E.I. Knights of Columbus and the P.E.I. Right to Life Association, will get underway at 11:30 at St. Dunstan’s Basilica and continue on to Province House.

A spokesman for the organizers of the event say the march is in support of the dignity of human life, from conception through to natural death. Those taking part in the march will be voicing their opposition to any form of government provision of abortion-on-demand using P.E.I. taxpayer money.

The president of the P.E.I. Right to Life Association, Holly Pierlot, says the association is aware that there are chemical abortions on P.E.I.

Pierlot says the provincial status quo on abortion is not acceptable, because it is based on politics and not principle.

“It walks the line of compromise," she said. "There is no constitutional right to abortion, and governments are not required to fund non-medically necessary procedures.”

Organizers said they urge Islanders to attend Sunday’s March to show support for the protection of life at all stages. They also are calling for sound economic and social programs to assist those who find themselves in a crisis pregnancy.

Organizations: Life Association, P.E.I. Knights of Columbus, Province House

Geographic location: Charlottetown, P.E.I. Catholic Women

Comments

Comments

• J
    May 25, 2014 - 09:55

I honestly don't feel like I can write my real name here while suggesting that abortion is fundamentally wrong, in my humble opinion. I'm not a religious person, I don't cherry pick scriptures. To me life starts at conception. Though the example of a rape victim is often used (though undoubtedly represents a minute number of cases), I'd go out on a limb to suggest that most unwanted pregnancies result from poor birth control practices, a lack of foresight and, dare I say it, laziness in some cases. It's not just women either, both partners share this responsibility. The old adage, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" really applies here. All this to say, while I personally disagree with abortion, I do believe they need to be available in every province as a general human right. However, we need to improve education around the subject, availability to effective birth control. And on another subject, just because you're an "atheist" doesn't mean you understand what makes the world turn any more than a religious person. The pretentiousness on both sides is maddening. If we could leave the religious vs. secular arguments out of the conversation and focus more on logic and compassion, I think we'd start to make some progress.

• Mary
    May 24, 2014 - 19:03

Do we have to call each other names, = can we not be civilized about this. It does seem that with the day after pill and other methods, getting pregnant is more or less due to sloppiness. However in cases where pregnancy does happen and a women needs an abortion, they should be available. It becomes a matter of ones own conscience. Over the last 5 years 16.000 abortions were performed in the little country (5 Mill) Denmark, - seems ironic as they are forced through U.N. to take in all the immigrants that presents at their borders. This kind of numbers indicate sloppiness ---or drunken stupor, - not exactly nation building

• Sandy
    May 24, 2014 - 15:46

The so called pro life forces need to learn a little data. There will always be desperate people who will have abortions. The death rate for women increases dramatically when an abortion is hard to get or illegal. The so called do gooders are in fact condemning these women who who will attempt illegal abortion to death and they have blood on their hands. Just ask your grandmothers. They could tell you some sad tales. Driving women to illegal abortion kills.

• Dougie
      May 25, 2014 - 12:03

You're missing the point. I see what you're saying with you argument but I would equate it more to the idea of drug use. We prohibit drug use full well knowing that people are going to do drugs anyway. But those people are only hurting themselves so I could understand your logic in relation to drug use, but not abortion. Pretending that there is only one person and one future affected by an abortion is wrong. If we're to accept your logic, let's allow murder because we all know it happens even though it's illegal. At least if it's legal, we can hope for safer murder.

• Johnny
      May 25, 2014 - 12:44

You're a horrible debater, Dougie.

• How
      May 25, 2014 - 21:58

I'll have to assume the same about you until you manage to poke a hole in my comment. And honestly, remove your inherent pro-abortion bias before you respond. Let's see how sharp you are.

• Fact Checker
    May 24, 2014 - 15:35

For those suggesting they should instead help children & families etc, don't be so ignorant. Do you think they don't also help people like that in need? Dig a little deeper before you reach your 'conclusions'. It's cause and effect - for anyone claiming they're not killing a child, then why are you having an abortion? Regardless what state you wish to refer to somethign being in at a given time, they are performed to prevent a childbirth which would otherwise happen. With some many people needing to go to China etc to adopt, why is that a necessity (outside of medical emergencies)? Why are people complaining about a march? The other side marches? Regardless what you believe, everyone has the right to at least support their beliefs. I'm not a religious person, and while I don;t support it, those that do are free to march, just as those that don't support it are. Nobody is forced to attend either one. Live and let live (pun intended!). Use birth control!

• Wrong
      May 25, 2014 - 11:13

I'm sure that all seems very reasonable to you. Fact is you are wrong. These pro-life marches are intended to infringe on the rights of women. This is not a situation where both sides are equal. One is fighting for human rights and one is fighting against them. Nice try though.

• Laura
    May 24, 2014 - 14:03

People have a right to access abortion services. Abortions are considered a medically necessary procedure, and should be covered by our healthcare. The status quo in PEI is not acceptable; women should not have to travel out of province for a basic medical service. It costs money to take time off work and travel to NS or NB for an abortion, plus most women seeking abortions already have children, and would need to find someone to look after them. There are too many barriers in place preventing women from accessing their right to reproductive health care.

• Sandra
      May 25, 2014 - 11:12

Laura, please get the facts straight. Abortions are not considered medically necessary in almost every case. Very few abortions are necessary and most are deemed "therapeutic" because the woman simply doesn't want to carry her baby through to birth. It's interesting that you cherry pick abortion out of the dozens of "medical services" Island residents must receive in either Nova Scotia or New Brunswick. It's unfortunate that our province is as small as the minds of some abortion agitators, but alas, we must go without some things because of our population. Please stop saying that "most women" who seek abortions already have children. It makes us all worry for the state of our education system to see you're so incapable.

• Laura
      May 25, 2014 - 18:32

Abortions are medically necessary because they are physician performed and are time sensitive. They are necessary for women who are pregnant and can not financially, physically or emotionally continue a pregnancy. An abortion is a 10 minute procedure and there is no reason to travel out of province if there are doctors willing to perform them on the island. True, it is not most women, though in Canada, 45% of women who get abortions already have children. That is still are large percentage.

• Concerned
    May 24, 2014 - 13:00

How about instead of spending millions of dollars on guilt-tripping propaganda, why not spend it on diapers and assistance for single mothers? These people are so backwards it hurts my head. Help kids in foster homes and bad domestic situations before forcing more kids to be born into them.

• Classy
    May 24, 2014 - 10:52

Nothing says fun-filled family outing like a trip to the local abortion protest

• Annual
    May 24, 2014 - 10:27

The annual march of the morons. Keep your religion to yourselves. If you are so concerned then raise money for the poor and for contraception awareness. You hypocrites would never do that though. It doesn't get you enough attention.

• Really
      May 24, 2014 - 18:56

If you think religion is the only reason not to champion the right to kill other humans because they are inconvenient , then you are very narrow minded. How about killing orphans? Is it not compassionate not to force them to live unloved? Or is there some magic pixie dust that turns an unwanted human into one you consider worth not killing just because!

• Really
      May 24, 2014 - 19:17

Please take a look at some statistics of the demographics that do the most for the poor and then come back of atheist pro choicers are on the top of the list. Otherwise, your statement is meaningless.

• Hip O. Crites
    May 24, 2014 - 08:38

Pushing ones religious beliefs onto others needs to end. These groups bully others all in the name of their god. What I love the most is that they cherry pick their causes. I wonder how many live up to their beloved Ten Commandments? How many are on their second marriage after covetting thy neighbours wife or had a tad bit of gluttony while at the all you can eat buffet?

• Your Opion
      May 24, 2014 - 10:34

@Hip O. Crites ; I disagree with you on these people pushing their religious beliefs as the reason they are against abortion . (Some of course are but not the majority) I for one hasn't been to church in 50 years and I personally don't believe abortion should be a means of birth control . Yes in the case of mother in danger, incest or rape ; abortion is already there for them . It's a slippy slope until you are ending the lives of anyone that you find doesn't suite your mold of human . Their disapproval of abortion is just common moral sense . Really - the price of birth control isn't very high , grow up & be responsible for your own actions .

• Ron
      May 24, 2014 - 12:13

You don't need to be religious to know killing a baby is wrong.

• AND..........
      May 24, 2014 - 14:06

You do have to be half way intelligent though to know that a fetus is not a baby. Intelligence is something that the religious wackos lack.

• How dare
      May 24, 2014 - 19:14

Seems only certain people have the right to free expression. If you can't express yourself without being insulting, perhaps you are the one who needs to grow up and get educated. If pro-choice advocates really wanted to PROVE that there is no issue with an abortion, show the world exactly what it is from beginning to end. I hear in the states there are law suits to prevent pregnant women from being given the information before they have the procedure. Hopefully in Canada, we are more grown up and some of the commenters are not the norm.

• Alice
      May 25, 2014 - 07:54

I don't understand how everyone says it is the women's right to do what she wishes because it is her body. If this is the case, then any woman should be allowed to drink and do as many drugs that she wishes when pregnant. I have brought up this scenario with people who are pro-choice and their response is that they can't do that, they are hurting the baby. You cannot have it both ways. I have no issue with abortions if a women is raped, incest or if the mother will die otherwise people are using it as a method of birth control. There are many good couples looking to adopt children. Why have people gone against giving their child up for adoption so that they could have a good life?

• Alice
      May 25, 2014 - 07:54

• Eustice
      May 25, 2014 - 19:35

@ Alice.... Women do have the right to abuse substances, if they choose. Even if they are pregnant. It is their body, their choice.

• M. MacDonald
    May 24, 2014 - 06:11

People should keep their religious beliefs to themselves. What business do these people have telling a complete stranger what to do with her body? The Catholic Women's League are brainwashed by misogyny of the Roman Catholic Church. Time better spent protesting the church's legacy of abuse by priests and nuns.

• Observer
    May 23, 2014 - 21:20

It seems to me that your time would be better spent actually helping children who are struggling . How about their right to life? There is lots of help required there! Use compassion rather than judgement to fuel your mission! That seems more Christian.

• Head shaker
      May 24, 2014 - 19:00

Got that from a Planned Parenthood site perhaps? Under your position, as stated, I should never help anyone ever under any situation because by doing so I am ignoring others. The only way to be fair is to equally refuse to help anyone. Is that what you are pushing?