Wade Lynch to fill in as Queen for Charles, Camilla while in P.E.I.

Doug
Doug Gallant

Wade Lynch playing Queen Elizabeth II during last year’s QEH Telethon at Eastlink studios in Stratford. Lynch will reprise his role for Charles and Camilla’s visit to P.E.I. on Victoria Day Monday in Charlottetown.

When the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall arrive at Province House Monday evening for celebrations marking Victoria Day and the 150th anniversary of the Charlottetown Conference the “royal we” will become three.

The royal couple will be joined on this most auspicious occasion by none other than Queen Elizabeth II.

Sort of.

Veteran actor Wade Lynch, former associate artistic director of the Charlottetown Festival, is returning to Charlottetown for this occasion to reprise the royal role that has endeared him to audiences for years.

Lynch will be part of the multicultural, theatrical, musical entertainment line-up that will entertain Islanders and their very special guests.

Singer-songwriters Catherine MacLellan and Tim Chaisson, Paper Lions, The Meds and comedian Patrick Ledwell will also be featured during those celebrations.

Speaking from his home in Sherbrooke, Quebec, Lynch said he was completely shocked when he was asked to appear as the queen.

“Even though the humour is gentle when I appear as the queen some people believe you are not supposed to mock the royals,” Lynch said.

He said there is a protocol to be followed for Monday night’s appearance and he will be following that protocol.

“When I’m in character I will address them gently, but commonly, as if I was their mother.”

Lynch was required to submit his script for approval and has done so.

“It has not been returned to me with any requested changes.”

He said there were some people involved with preparations for the royal visit who initially wondered if it was going to be okay but everything seems to be a go now.

“I understand Prince Charles has a great sense of humour.”

Lynch said he’s very much looking forward to doing this.

“I’m actually a monarchist. I have a great regard for the monarchy, so this is thrilling for me. I just wish I had access to her wardrobe. I don’t, but Nancy Hooper is doing a fine job creating some things ready for me.”

Premier Robert Ghiz is inviting all Islanders to come out for Monday’s celebrations.

“All eyes will be on Prince Edward Island as their royal highnesses arrive in Charlottetown,” said Ghiz. “It’s a wonderful opportunity for Islanders to come together, enjoy an evening of Island talent and welcome our special guests during this celebratory year.”

Entertainment begins at 6:30 p.m. on the grounds at Province House.

There will be face painting, balloon twisting and other family activities.

The public can enjoy hot dogs and ice cream and even meet the Fathers of Confederation.

At approximately 8:30 p.m., their royal highnesses will arrive to take in some great Island entertainment.

As the night draws to a close, Islanders will enjoy fireworks over the Charlottetown Harbour with the Royal Couple at 9 p.m.

dgallant@theguardian.pe.ca

Twitter.com/PEIGuardian

Organizations: Province House, Royal Couple

Geographic location: Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Sherbrooke Quebec

Comments

Comments

• Karen
    May 15, 2014 - 00:20

I am an Islander. I lived away for many years and came back because I love this island and our way of life. We are known internationally for our hospitality and generosity. I am sure Mr. Lynch is a fine performer but this is definitely NOT the venue for him to perform in. I am sure there is plenty of talent better suited. Coming all the way across the pond to see his beloved Mother been poked fun at is a disgraceful and highly disrespectful. Who ever is responsible for this needs to rethink. Don't knowingly put a black mark on our beautiful Island.

• Y'all need
    May 14, 2014 - 17:57

Y'all need to get over yourselves. This is humour pure and simple. And the Royals know it and will most likely enjoy a good chuckle!!

• janice
    May 14, 2014 - 17:52

Well the last royal visit by Prince William & Princess Catherine, we had Megan Blanchard calling HRH the Douche of Cambridge. It's only uphill from here for Mr. Lynch's drag queen impersonation of Prince Charles' mother, I guess.

• Heather
    May 14, 2014 - 10:07

This is in poor taste. "Island Talent"? Last I heard Mr. Lynch had moved away, but of course in the 2014 context , anything goes. There has never been a celebration so abrasive and offensive to the very people paying for this extravaganza than this whole affair. We are dragged crying and creaming into this by our elected leaders, - sure hope people wake up and realize these people have no intention to listen nor to act in the best interest of the voters, and act accordingly in the next election. Too bad people just don't stay away from these 'bribes'.

• Rob
    May 14, 2014 - 09:47

I hope that it really really offends them. I'm stunned that anyone would think it was in good taste but I couldn't care less if Canada never had another royal visit. Get out and stay out.

• Trent
    May 14, 2014 - 08:34

After reading this, I am embarrassed to call myself an Islander and Canadian...disgraceful!

• seriously
    May 14, 2014 - 07:32

It is simply in bad taste to do this. I also agree with jj. So many islanders are having a difficult time making it from day to day let alone week to week, & this cost for the royals to visit is a serious amount of $ - as is the 2014 party in general.

• ONLY ON PEI
    May 14, 2014 - 07:30

Only PEI would have a man in drag impersonating the Queen in front of her son. Besides Wes Sheridan has everyone else also lost all decency.

• WendyPEI
    May 14, 2014 - 06:52

My initial response to this was absolute horror. Why would we even think about doing such a thing? On reflection though, if the Royals have given their assent and the script has been approved, it should be a gutsy and fun move on behalf of the Province. Do us proud Wade.

• Jon
    May 14, 2014 - 06:16

Really?! This is very bad taste at a Storm game and we're going to do it again for the Royal family? Whoever makes these decisions needs to be fired.

• Finally!
    May 13, 2014 - 22:52

PEI must be famous for bad taste world wide already...but this is probably as stupid as we can possibly look...

• jj
    May 13, 2014 - 22:07

what a waist of money this is when so many people need assistance to survive. these Royals are millionaires so why do we pay for their vacation travels...shame...

• don
    May 13, 2014 - 20:52

how dare you ll disgrace the queen of canada. it would have been better if it was a female that looked like her.

• Dear Don
      May 13, 2014 - 23:29

Don, how dare you disgrace Islanders with your comments! He is a performer and artist, not like he left 8 rotting bails of hay on the steps of the Confederation Centre.

• don
      May 14, 2014 - 08:09

sorry newbe. my family has been on this island for over 9 generations how about yours. that is a disgrace to the queen period.and the last i heard this is still a free country.