Just Passing Through exceeds Kickstarter goal

Jim Day

Just Passing Through's first episode, Alberta Bound, features the side-tracked journey westward quirky P.E.I. Gallant cousins, Terry and Parnell, played by Dennis Trainor, left, and Robbie Moses, on the apartment doorstep of their somewhat stuffy and totally unprepared-for-company cousin, Owen Stephens, played by Tyler Seguin. SUBMITTED PHOTO

Jeremy Larter, a co-creator, is hopeful filming on the second season will begin on P.E.I. in late August

The quirky web-based comedy Just Passing Through produced by Islanders could be sticking around thanks to overwhelming support by fans.

The first seven 22-minute episodes of the critically acclaimed web series proved so popular, followers were hollering out for more.

So the producers turned to their adoring public to chip in to help fund a second season of the show that follows the exploits of two P.E.I. cousins who get stuck in Toronto at the home of their kooky cousin on their way to the buckets-of-money promised land of Alberta.

The first season has had more than 400,000 views, and support has now extended to successful fundraising.

CLICK TO VIEW JUST PASSING THROUGH SEASON 1

Their Kickstarter campaign has surpassed the $50,000 goal by more than $6,000 to date.

“It’s a huge relief,’’ says Jeremy Larter, a co-creator of the show.

“It’s a big ask — $50,000 is a big ask.’’

More than 500 backers tossed their hard-earned coin into getting season two on-line with the largest single contribution coming in at $2,500.

Different levels of pledges earn financial supporters of the show special privileges, including one line of dialogue in the show and spending a day in Charlottetown with main characters Terry and Parnell, played by Island boys Dennis Trainor and Robbie Moses.

Thought to be the biggest budgeted, complex homegrown comedic dramatic series ever shot on P.E.I., in 2012 Just Passing Through received $150,000 from the Indpendent Production Fund (IPF) and Innovation P.E.I.

Just Passing Through news archive

Innovation P.E.I. is not involved this year, which left a funding gap to be filled.

“There is no guarantee that the $150,000 IPF funding will happen, but with the unreal response to the show so far and your generous support, our chances are better than Grammie’s at bingo (as long as she’s not in the shine),’’ states the Just Passing Through website.

Larter is hopeful filming on the second season will begin in P.E.I. in late August.

“Because there has been such a great response, it really gives you the boost to make it again,’’ he says.

Organizations: Indpendent Production Fund

Geographic location: P.E.I., Toronto, Alberta Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• The Maritime Mafia
    May 12, 2014 - 17:09

If you don't find this show entertaining, you probably fall into the demographic that enjoys playing crib, which is okay too.

• gumboot joe
    May 12, 2014 - 13:21

So happy that they meet their 50,000 goal! Good jobs guys! Glad to see some islanders staying home and working hard to create something they are passionate about. Love the show too! Don't ever tone it down guys, there are plenty of us that love it as it is.

• Robert
    May 12, 2014 - 12:37

I was put onto the show by a FB post from Island band "Two Hours Traffic". I was immediately hooked and have introduced the show to many, including my girlfriend from Indiana. I wasn't sure if she would get some of the inside jokes, but after a few questions, she was laughing as hard as I was. My only comment to her was "I know these guys", not that I really know Parnell or Terry, but I feel like I grew up with them. Adult comedy for sure but as it turns out, a lot of adults like to laugh too. Not for the kids, but that's OK. PS If you want some more laughs from these guys, check out the "Ponderings" series. Simply brilliant comedy.

• Supporter
    May 11, 2014 - 19:35

I laughed so hard at every episode. Love the satire. Sadly it seems to be lost on some posters here. Too bad they didn't heed the very clear warning at the beginnin g of each episode. I donated to the campaign and can't wait to see what this very talented crew comes up with next. PS TV broadcast is not what people aim for any more with these productions.

• excellent show
    May 11, 2014 - 11:11

I donated and im lookin forward to the show!

• enough already
    May 11, 2014 - 10:54

Is there nothing you idiots don't blame on Harper. Have a look around at the millions the feds are giving this summer for the celebration. Harper is the bet P.M. ever!

• Observationalist
    May 11, 2014 - 10:28

I think the show is well done. Very funny but they need to tame it down if they want it to go further. Unless vulgar humor is the only thing they have to offer, which I don't think is the case here. I think they have the talent to go deeper than that.

• island guy
    May 11, 2014 - 04:19

to all the bad comments here.....it must of caught your attention if you decided yourself to watch it....lmfao......anyways if ya don't like it simply don't watch it with all the crap that's going on in the world today ...a great laugh is the doctors cure......keep up the great work just passing through ....remember bad publicity is awesome publicity......

• enough already
    May 10, 2014 - 20:04

Great family show for C.B.C. . Cute little sayings like " I would eat the blueberries out of her S@!%T " would make for great family entertainment. The producer should be very proud of this wholesome entertainment

• SlyFox
      May 11, 2014 - 08:07

Well not everyone is 8 years old and wants to watch children programing,There are different time slots where this could be placed to protect the ears of the young.

• Molly
    May 10, 2014 - 16:45

It is far too vulgar . I would think it would show better talent if it wasn't so gutter based.

• Jason
      May 10, 2014 - 19:54

I agree! I watched a minute and wish I had that time of my life back. It makes islanders look trailer trash.

• Jon
      May 12, 2014 - 22:48

that there's crazy talk, it a story about a couple of fellas trying to get wicked jobs in alberta and getting some help from their cousin in toronno ,God bless Terry an Parnell's sexy moustash

• Molly
    May 10, 2014 - 16:44

• Dwight Parkmen
    May 10, 2014 - 16:24

Harper shouldn't have slashed all the funding from CBC because I would have loved to seen this show on TV. He would love this show too because it plays right into the EI abusing lazy Islanders narrative that of course is true. in the true spirit of this homegrown "Island" program I guess we should all pack up the Topaz and head for our cousins couch in Toronto or Edmonton and steal from Harper.

• SlyFox
    May 10, 2014 - 11:39

Well done Mr.Larter.It is good to see fresh new entertainment being made.CBC should be picking this up as for it is Canadian and airing it in a slot for Canadian Content.