Earth Action to break law on Wednesday at Province House

Demonstrators will spread banned-in-P.E.I. substance on legislative assembly building's lawn

Sharon Labchuk

Earth Action plans to protest chemical cosmetic pesticides by breaking the law Wednesday.

The environmental advocacy group is inviting citizens opposed to the use of chemical cosmetic pesticides on lawns to contravene the P.E.I. Pesticides Control Act at the event on the Province House lawn immediately before the legislative assembly sits on Wednesday.

Sharon Labchuk of Earth Action says people will spread corn gluten on the lawn. Corn gluten was banned by the P.E.I. government in 2010 but promoted by other provincial governments as a non-toxic weed seed inhibitor.

The event begins at 1:30 p.m.

Environment Minister Janice Sherry and Opposition Leader Steven Myers have been invited to explain their parties' positions.

Organizations: Province House

Geographic location: P.E.I.

Comments

Comments

• Amy Macpherson
    May 07, 2014 - 18:25

To say that Sharon has "absolutely no scientific evidence to support any of her beliefs" is a pretty bold statement. There is a LOT of evidence supporting the fact that many of the pesticides/herbicides/fungicides used on PEI are harmful to our health, air, water and soil. I have no patience for the desire to have the "perfect" lawn. My lawn is FULL or things other than grass including many dandelions. I personally like to support bee health as they are VITAL to our existence, and dandelions are a source of food for them early in the year. Continue to care not for nature, and she will continue to care not for us...

• Johnny Storm
    May 07, 2014 - 08:22

Sharon Labchuk is reduced to silly publicity stunts because she no absolutely no scientific evidence to support any of her beliefs. Does anyone know how she makes her living? I don't either but I guess it would have something to do with donations to Earth Action. Media attention and stunts are required to feed this beast.

• Tyler Jorgensen
    May 07, 2014 - 06:01

I work at a local greenhouse and have been sending people to Agro co-op to buy corn gluten meal for years. The people who decide what goes on the "banned list" on PEI need to educate them selves.They have added neem oil to the list this year! Pyrethrin sold in a concentrated form ,that you would have to mix yourself, was also added but not if it's already mixed. They are banning things that are organic, safe, and effective for lawn and garden care. At the same time allowing lawn care company's and farmers to spray poison.The comments on this page against Sharon are obviously from irrational uneducated people.

• Sasha
    May 06, 2014 - 15:37

Thank you for caring Sharon.

• LAST OF THE HIPPIES
    May 06, 2014 - 15:04

Someone who found out in the sixties that it was better to protest anything and everything then get a job.

• Better Than You
      May 07, 2014 - 06:34

She has worked all her life. You? And just how do you effectively promote change when you feel it's needed?

• Jimbo Johnson
    May 06, 2014 - 12:20

A Perpetual protester that has nothing else better to do, maybe she should get herself a real job. If this substance is banned as stated in the article, the police should be standing by, and as soon as she drops a single molecule of the banned substance on the grass, take her down SWAT style and carry her off to Sleepy Hollow.

• lawnless
    May 06, 2014 - 11:28

maybe she would like some of my earwigs... or dandelions, or other things that have killed my lawn? I can't afford professional lawn care, and they no longer sell any products to kill weeds or bugs.... grrrrrrr!!!

• Get Informed
      May 06, 2014 - 18:19

Uh, Lawnless. Corn gluten, the substance that she is spreading does just that. It's an organic method of killing weeds and this gov't, in it's infinite wisdom seems to think it something that should be banned. You could spread it on your Cornflakes for crying out loud. And I don't see any of you Labchuck haters doing squat for what you believe in.