Lennon Waterman confirmed as identity of body found Sunday

Jim Day

Dianne Young has finally learned for certain what she long knew in her heart: her son is dead.

The body located on the shoreline of the North River near Hurry Road Sunday has been identified as Young’s 29-year-old son, Lennon Waterman of Charlottetown.

Dental records confirmed the remains as being those of Waterman’s, the police reported in a short news release Tuesday. Police do not suspect foul play.

CLICK HERE FOR THE RELATED STORY

Since her son, as she suspected, went into the North River more than five months ago, Young has been speaking out about what she views as the ultimate cause of her son’s life ending at such an early age.

“My son has been tormented and tortured by drug addiction and mental illness for nine years,’’ Young told The Guardian in November.

“So I have been grieving the loss of my son for nine years. When I would see my son, I wouldn’t really see him. I would see glimpses of him sometimes,’’

Young visited the newsroom just a few short days after her son disappeared. She said at the time she was certain Waterman was dead.

On Nov. 8., police received a call shortly after 10 p.m. of a suspicious male on the North River causeway that resulted in the RCMP finding some clothing. The police suspected a person had gone into the river.

Young would later identify the clothing as belonging to Waterman. That left the mother quickly accepting as fact that her boy had chosen to end his life.

“There was no question as far as I was concerned,’’ Young told The Guardian Tuesday.

“I had no denial about it because I was closest to him and I knew how he was suffering...he feared life more than he feared death.’’

Young finds comfort in having her son’s body recovered, particularly on Easter Sunday.

“I believe there is a heaven and I believe that when we die that is where we go,’’ she says. “On the day that Christ rises, he brings me back my son.’’

What Young also hopes for, as she has stated on numerous occasions, is that her boy did not die in vain.

She is holding her son’s tragic death as a sad illustration of just how much room there is for improvement in mental health and addictions services in Prince Edward Island. Just last week, Young organized a protest at Province House in an attempt to push lawmakers in P.E.I. into doing more to provide services for Islanders struggling with addictions.

Asked Tuesday if she plans to carry on with her campaign, she said: “Absolutely.’’

She adds that Chief Coroner Dr. Charles Trainor told her that she is “doing a good thing.’’

Young says her son’s body will be cremated and the ashes will remain with her at home. There will be visitation Thursday from 6 to 8 p.m. at Belvedere Funeral Home in Charlottetown. The funeral will be held Friday at 10 a.m. at Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Charlottetown.

Geographic location: North River, RCMP Queens District, Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• John MacDonald
    April 23, 2014 - 13:34

The combination of addiction with mental illness is common as the suffering attempt to self medicate. An entire family usually suffers without adequate island resources . Doesn't that Proposition B highway feel a little more empty now? Shame on our ""leaders."

• Marie
    April 23, 2014 - 08:45

RIP Lennon. My condolenses on your loss Dianne.

• Amanda
    April 23, 2014 - 07:40

My heart goes out to Ms. Young and her family at this very sad time. I find it refreshing that she finds good in this horrible situation. I hope and pray that her fight for more help for the drug addicted and mentally ill will be successful and a lifelong tribute to her son. Society needs to realize that it is as deadly as any other disease and something needs to be done.

• Nikki
    April 23, 2014 - 06:24

My deepest sympathies to Lennons mother and family.... She's completely right.. This is so tragic and unessary.As a young person in their 20s, all I keep thinking is how close friends of mine have come to being in Lennons position, and how it could of easily been me. Rest now Lennon

• God Bless
    April 22, 2014 - 23:13

God bless to the mother Diane..Now youcan lay your Son to rest and hope this struggle with with addiction is something more done about it..As i know what your son lennon went through i aswell is a recovering addict and know all his struggles this poor man went through...Its a battle with this growing addiction on prince edward island...Keep going forward diane with fighting with province about this vicious cycle that we call addiction! May you Rest in peace Lennon

• anne
    April 22, 2014 - 16:21

My deepest sympathies for the family and friends of this young man. I hope that out of this tragedy will come awareness of the seriousness of the disease of addiction. As a recovered drug addict myself I know the pain and struggle of having an addiction. It's awful everyday trying to find ways to get a fix before the sickness starts again. Its a vicious cycle that so many islanders are trying to break free from. I had to leave PEI to get help because I was at the end of my rope and so sick and tired of being sick and tired as i suppose maybe this young man may have been feeling. I pray that Diane gets lots of support and success in the fight for better services for those suffering from addictions. I pray for Diane and hope she finds peace. She in will be in my prayers tonight and days to come.

• KL
    April 22, 2014 - 15:38

RIP young man.

• Sending prayers
    April 22, 2014 - 14:35

I pray that this will bring some closure to his family and friends, confirmation that he is now at peace. The agony of not knowing where he is or what happened to him is something that nobody in this world deserves to go through. God bless.

• Glady M. MacKay
    April 22, 2014 - 13:47

I am so glad that this poor young man's body has been found so that his mother may have him laid to rest. God bless the family. May Lennon rest in peace.

• Quiet Observer
    April 22, 2014 - 13:31

And how many more beautiful people will have to die before proper resources and a proper treatment plan are put in place?

• Shirley
    April 22, 2014 - 13:28

May this poor mother find some peace that now she can now lay her dear son to rest. May God hold her close and keep her strong and help her in her fight for the province to provide additional and improved services for Islanders struggling with addictions so no other parent has to go thorough what she has had too.

• Stan Hope
    April 22, 2014 - 13:23

God bless this young man and his family.

• linda collin
      April 22, 2014 - 13:55

God Bless this man and his family.