Smuggling contraband into P.E.I. jail draws federal prison sentence

Scales of justice

A 25-year-old Charlottetown man who smuggled drugs, tobacco, rolling papers and even a cigarette lighter into jail in his rectum is headed for prison.

Murray James Todd was sentenced to two years in a federal correctional facility Wednesday for possession of drugs for the purposes of trafficking.

He was sentenced to a further six months, consecutive to the first sentence, for trafficking in Hydromorphone.

The first charge stems from an incident that began when police were dispatched to the parking lot of the Atlantic Superstore where Todd was observed drinking alcohol, holding a pipe used for smoking drugs and shouting.

Police arrested him and transported him to the provincial correctional centre.

Shortly after he arrived there, Todd tried to move his bowels, arousing suspicion he might have contraband in his rectum.

Based on that assumption, he was moved to a dry cell.

Whathappened next may be hard to believe.

Todd’s rectum yielded15.7 grams of marijuana, 14 grams of tobacco, 50 Dilaudid pills, 115 Hydromorphone pills, 14 sleeping pills, rolling papers and a cigarette lighter, all wrapped in plastic.

Provincial Court Judge Nancy Orr said she found it absolutely incredible that someone would attempt to smuggle that much contraband into jail in that manner.

There had been some suggestion that what Todd brought into the jail was for his personal use, not for commercial distribution, but Orr did not buy that.

The second charge against Todd, which came about as part of Operation Clean Sweep, related to the sale of Hydromorphone to someone who was acting as an agent of the police.

The court was told Todd has accepted responsibility for his actions and expressed the desire to put his life back on track.

He intends to put his time in prison to good use, accessing programs to help him deal with his addictions.

Speaking to sentence, Orr said there is an epidemic problemwith illegal drug use in this community.

She said there isn’t a day in her courtroom that she doesn’t see the impact of that drug use.

The use of drugs like cocaine and Hydromorphone used to be rare in this jurisdiction, she indicated.

“Now they’re standard issue,” Orr said.

She said it was to Todd’s credit that he had entered guilty pleas to these charges.

But she noted that until he committed these offences, Todd had had only one conviction on his record and that was for impaired driving.

She said with these offences he’d jumped into the deep end.

“It’s absolutely incredible.”

She noted the seriousness of bringing drugs into a jail is reflected in the fact that Parliament has established a mandatory minimum sentence of two years.

Orr conceded Todd may not have come up with this idea on his own but he carried it off.

She noted as well he was waiting for the first charge to be dealt with when he was caught selling drugs to an agent of the police.

In addition to his sentence, Todd was ordered to provide a sample of his DNA for the national DNA databank.

A weapons ban was also imposed.

Geographic location: P.E.I., Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• Steve Tucker
    April 28, 2014 - 21:20

Floor hockey ball a few sticks and a couple of nets with a pint of shine up there he would have been the king of prison.

• Saddened
    April 18, 2014 - 13:06

To my little brother..No problem..let Murray know when you get the chance to see him. that I still look forward to his help in getting my vegetable garden, tilled and expanded, when he gets out..He will know...from both my husband and myself..give him our love!!!

• Good times
    April 18, 2014 - 08:44

Ive known this kid for a long time and hes allways been bad for bummin smokes. 23 hours a day lockup in the pen no problem he will be watchin the playoffs next week on his 13" tv haha all jokes aside i fell bad for him he means well but he needs to get his life straightened out

• keith wood
    April 18, 2014 - 07:45

i read the article how can he be arrested in a parking lot taken to jail and charged with smuggling contraband if he was unaware he was being arrested

• SlyFox
      April 18, 2014 - 17:42

Keith Wood , do you think this guy walks around all the time with this amount of stuff packed inside of himself.It was on two different occasions that this took place.

• Still not worth it
      April 19, 2014 - 11:15

That's how they get it in. They hoop it up, and get drunk so they get arrested and boom it's in the jails

• Holiday Hollow
    April 17, 2014 - 22:06

He forgot a pint of Captain Morgan and some party hats .

• ...
    April 17, 2014 - 21:48

You people posting rude comments make me sick. I actually took the time to know Murray as a person and not judge him for the wrong he has done, if any of you had done the same you would know he is one of the sweetest kind hearted people you would ever meet, who was lead down the wrong path. YES.. drugs do crazy things to people. Everyone has problems no matter how big or small and it is no ones place to judge another person. How about you just keep your comments quiet and have some respect. Put the "ass" jokes aside, and try pulling your head out of yours!!!

• jim
      April 18, 2014 - 12:52

frig off, if you never judge people for the bad the do and the choices they make in life then they continue to do those things

• .
    April 17, 2014 - 18:07

This is rediculous. People need to grow up. I doubt he woke up one morning saying " hey this is something I really want to do." He was obviously made/ pressured to do this. You people don't know him, you don't know his story. You don't know what he's gone through to make him do this. He is a really good guy at heart, and like someone else said hopefully he will use this time wisely. This isn't a big joke that people are making it out to be.

• Catherine
    April 17, 2014 - 17:31

National data bank ... That's crazy no one should ever have to give there DNA.

• My little brother
    April 17, 2014 - 17:18

Thank you from the bottom of my heart and also our family! I have been trying not to comment but I just had to say thank you for your kind words and shedding some light on his situation.

• Saddened
    April 17, 2014 - 16:11

I never thought the day would come that I would actually write on one of these message boards..but it here it is..I am deeply saddened to hear about this..this boy is actually a very kind, loving person at his core and has been through some personal struggles over the past few yrs that would cause anyone to seek some sort of escape..I know you will owe post your ignorant comments after mind how we all have struggles blah blah blah..but sometimes overcoming our issues may look easier than it seems..I am thankful that I got to know him on a personal level, only hope that he does use his time wisely while he is away..God Bless you Murray! Thinking of you...

• heartbroken
      April 17, 2014 - 20:39

Murray is an amazing person your right.. he had a hard few years and I pray he gets the help he needs.. God bless

• who knows
    April 17, 2014 - 16:05

Other forces at work? Maybe he got caught up in something he could not say no to?

• omg
    April 17, 2014 - 14:07

My god. I couldn t fit that in my mouth. How the sweet hell did. He get it all up there. Ewww

• eyes raised
    April 17, 2014 - 12:51

I need a place for my convertible for the winter...when will he get out! He will have lots of fun in the pen....with all that room.

• Jason
    April 17, 2014 - 12:06

15.7 grams of marijuana, 14 grams of tobacco, 50 Dilaudid pills, 115 Hydromorphone pills, 14 sleeping pills, rolling papers and a cigarette lighter, ... AND a Partridge in a pear treeeeee......

• Bummer
    April 17, 2014 - 11:55

Also gives new meaning for "butt toke".

• Krusty HeyHey
    April 17, 2014 - 11:36

Will he need to pack a suitcase? Must be great to travel, no waiting for bags etc.

• intobed
    April 17, 2014 - 11:17

I always knew drug dealers were big arseholes, I guess this is proof positive!

• don
    April 17, 2014 - 10:08

2 years in prison LOL. he will be out in 6 months just like other druggies.

• ya okay..
    April 17, 2014 - 10:03

They always seem to go after the little guys, when really the big dealers are still selling on the street. Thats why things will never change on this Island. Its a joke!

• Phil MacCrevvis
    April 17, 2014 - 09:48

Well at least he did his "stretches" prior to going to the big house......

• Fudgepack
    April 17, 2014 - 08:25

Gives a whole different meaning to "Butt light"

• Rob
    April 17, 2014 - 07:55

@Uhaul Best comment ever.

• Courtney
    April 17, 2014 - 07:48

Dilaudid and Hydromorphone are the exact same thing haha

• lou lou annie
    April 17, 2014 - 07:44

"While Todd physically brought these drugs into jail, his defence counsel suggested he was under pressure, that there were other forces at work here...............................'................. no pun intended I'm sure.........

• Rob
    April 17, 2014 - 07:31

"Orr suggested that thinking of the quantity of drugs Todd had brought into the jail was “painful.” ............I bet it was, bahahaha

• citizen x
    April 17, 2014 - 07:20

every teenager should have to read this article... they might think twice about using drugs if they realize the likelihood that the drugs were stored in someone's rectum at some point. This is a very common practice.

• Morgan
      April 17, 2014 - 15:49

Umm, pretty sure you average drug peddler isn't "suitcasing" drugs that they are selling on the streets! Your only likely hood of encountering drugs smuggled this way is if you are in jail.

• U-Haul
    April 17, 2014 - 06:47

Todd should apply for a job at U-Haul when he gets out.If he has no luck there,he can store my lawn tractor over the winter.

• yeaa
      April 19, 2014 - 12:42

Actually even on the streets a lot of drugs are hoop or suitcased when traveling or when they feel paranoid of being raided.....fun fact.

• Rectum. Damn near killed him.
    April 17, 2014 - 06:27

Hahaha I don't know what would be worse; federal time or having the whole island know you were able to store that much stuff in your bum. Hahahaha

• Down the road
      April 17, 2014 - 09:45

Just think, after his stint in fed pen. How much more hell be able to get in there