Going for the record

Maureen Coulter
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

P.E.I. man had no quit in him while attempting to break world mark

A Prince Edward Island man broke the world record at 3 a.m. this past Sunday after working 113 hours at Hunter's Ale House over East Coast Music Week.

Phil Gallant needed over 111 hours to break the record for longest bartending shift and did so by banking 113 hours. The final hour was pretty quiet, he said.

The people closest to him including his mom, girlfriend and a few of his closest friends, surrounded Gallant as he broke the world record.

"On Sunday I was kind of numb to the whole fact. I just wanted it to be over. I think it meant a lot more to other people than it did to myself personally. I was more concerned about the raising of the money."

Gallant had a goal of raising $5,000 for the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Foundation and was relieved when he reached it.

"That was more on mind than the actual record."

There were a couple of points where Gallant questioned what he had gotten himself into. He started his 113-hour shift on Wednesday, April 2, at 10 a.m. and was yawning by 1 p.m that day.

"I didn't get any sleep Tuesday and I was really tired Wednesday afternoon and I had just started."

Gallant didn't sleep well on Tuesday, the day before his shift started, because he was stressing out from all the pressure.

"So many people were talking about it and sharing it online."

Thursday night and Friday were really tough because he knew he still had a big hump to get over.

However it was Saturday that was the worst because Hunter's Ale House was so busy, he said.

"From Saturday night to Sunday morning I was in really bad shape physically."

Gallant had aches and pains in his legs and his feet, he said.

"They were really sore. I was rotating shoes all week and someone brought me insoles, which really helped. My feet were so swollen."

Gallant's immune system even got tired.

"I kind of got sick throughout the process. I had a stuffed up cold and really sore throat."

Gallant slept between four and five hours from Wednesday to Sunday but dreaded naps because he would always feel his worst when he would wake up.

The hour after Gallant woke up he would feel miserable, he said.

"I was very disoriented and my co-ordination was off. When I was walking I would be zigzagging."

After it was all said and done, Gallant slept for 10 straight hours but didn't feel better any better afterward.

"I still felt groggy and disoriented."

It wasn't until a second night of sleep he started to feel more himself.

The whole thing was miserable and fun at the same time, he said.

"I did enjoy the experience. I am glad it's over though," he said adding that he thanks the public for the support and well wishes during his record attempt.

Although he broke the record hour-wise, he won't know officially for a couple of months until all the paperwork is reviewed by Guinness Book of World Records.


Organizations: Ale House, Queen Elizabeth Hospital Foundation

Geographic location: Prince Edward Island

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page