Dealing with Tory MP like playing chess with a pigeon: Easter

Ryan Ross

Malpeque MP Wayne Easter breaks out his pigeon impression to express his frustrations with Democratic Reform Minister Pierre Poilievre

Malpeque MP Wayne Easter ruffled a few feathers with his impression of a pigeon during Wednesday’s question period in Ottawa as he rose to talk about changes to elections rules.

Easter’s remarks were directed at Democratic Reform Minister Pierre Poilievre in the ongoing debate over the Conservative government’s elections laws through the Fair Elections Act.

When he rose to his feet, Easter said dealing with Poilievre was like playing chess with a pigeon.

“He flaps his wings all over the place, knocks the pieces off the table, messes all over the table then struts around like he won the game,” Easter said.

As he spoke, Easter flapped his arms like bird and finished by stuffing his hands in his pockets before bobbing in a mock strut.

Before Poilievre could respond, Speaker Andrew Scheer rose and said he didn’t know what was in the coffee at caucus that morning, but the MPs were a little over the top.

“He flaps his wings all over the place, knocks the pieces off the table, messes all over the table then struts around like he won the game,” Malpeque MP Wayne Easter

“I have asked members before to hold off on using animal references. I do not think they are helpful through the course of debate,” he said.

Poilievre said he wanted to give Easter credit for creativity, but thought he had confused the games.

“He is playing charades and not chess over there.”

Geographic location: Ottawa

Comments

Comments

• Olav
    April 19, 2014 - 21:29

I like Wayne Easter. He puts feathers on old birds and gives them a chance.

• VanShaver
    April 14, 2014 - 08:43

What an apt description: Yes, it IS like playing chess with a pigeon. Polievre and Harper are eschewing any debate, making a mockery of parliamentary process, shitting on our democracy and strutting about like they have done something to be proud of. I give Easter my kudos. When those in power are transparently rigging the next election so they can win again, instead of addressing the fraud from the last election that led to their win, and refuse any legitimate consultation or debate... yeah. Humor is a legitimate option.

• Agree fully!
    April 10, 2014 - 15:35

I really appreciate your comment; also would not vote for him, if I had the chance! I also wish that he would really go away; so that I do not have to bear listening to his BS comments!!

• Sylvia
    April 10, 2014 - 12:25

I would like everyone to know that he is in my constituency and as long he is, I will not vote for him. He's an embarrassment and I just wish he's go away somewhere and disappear forever.

• Copy Cat
    April 10, 2014 - 10:44

Wayne is definitely not smart enough to come up with this on his own! I saw the same pigeon comparison apparently made by Russian president Putin a week ago; where he compared US president Obama to a pigeon playing chess!

• Mel
    April 10, 2014 - 09:45

You know, you can complain, criticize, and make all kinds of nasty remarks about Mr. Easter however the facts show this man has a remarkable record and you keep voting him in. Look at the record. 21 years as an MP, handily won 7 elections in a row, and will easily get elected in 2015 if he choses to run again. Not sure if it is jealously or envy but you should lighten up and give this man some well deserved credit.

• EasterEgg
    April 10, 2014 - 08:41

Remember that he I representing PEI...and this is the image he is portraying to the rest of Canada....

• Billy
    April 10, 2014 - 08:33

I take it he has tried to play chess with a pigeon . Hopefully he will just keep flapping those wings and fly away with his big pension or should say pigeon.

• townie22
    April 10, 2014 - 08:26

i thought it was pretty amusing......it's better than pointing your fingers at a female MP and saying pow, at least this was in fun.

• Disgusting
    April 10, 2014 - 08:06

Easter, when you behave this badly in the House of Commons, you should quit. A child would behave better than this.

• kyle
    April 10, 2014 - 05:08

This could go avian viral: A Dodo imitating a Chicken.