Autopsies, fire investigation continue as Prince Edward Island reels over deaths of three young people

Teresa Wright

Fire and police inspectors are continuing their investigation today into the deaths of three young people whose bodies were found inside a vacant building gutted by fire Saturday Morning in Charlottetown.

Police have said they believe the three victims were young and autopsies are being performed today at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Charlottetown.

Their identities have still not been officially determined by the coroner’s office.

Charlottetown Deputy Police Chief Gary McGuigan told The Guardian even if their identities are confirmed, their names will not likely be released today.

“Even as we speak investigators are at the QEH and we’re hoping that they will be able to shed some light on it after the post-mortems are done and hopefully they will be able to finish the post-mortems sometime today.”

He would not say whether the delay in identifying the three victims is due to the state of the bodies discovered after being in a fire.

A fourth young male who managed to escape the burning building was airlifted to Halifax for treatment of his injuries.

Despite the lack of official confirmation of details, many rumours are circulating in the community and online about the identities of the four people young people and why they were found in the building on Mount Edward Road, which has been vacant for about five years.

Teenagers have been posting the names and photos of three teens from Montague on social media sites, with messages of grief and condolence.

McGuigan said he understands many things are being circulated online and in the community about the incident and victims, but asked for patience as investigators work to officially identify the bodies and notify next of kin.

Charlottetown police are planning to interview the sole survivor of the fire, who is still being treated at the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital in Halifax.

“We are in the process of making arrangement to interview him, bearing in mind his condition and his availability because of his condition,” McGuigan said.

He added it would be ‘optimistic’ to assume this would happen today, suggesting tomorrow might be more likely.

In the meantime, fire inspectors and police are continuing their work in sifting through the charred remains of the building on Mount Edward Road in an effort to determine the cause of the fire.

McGuigan has said there was no electricity in the building, so the cause of the fire is not believed to be electrical.

The fire is believed to have ignited shortly after 5 a.m. Saturday and quickly engulfed the building in tall flames and thick, dark smoke.

Neighbours describe the fire as intense, some of whom were concerned it may spread to neighbouring homes, especially when they observed firefighters struggling to reach the building. The parking lot in front of the structure had not been plowed all winter and was covered in at least three feet of snow.

Neighbours also said firefighters were trying to dig through snowdrifts when they first arrived, searching for a fire hydrant.

“All day we thought it was just a normal fire, but when they were still here (hours later), I said to my husband this is something different,” said Joyce Barbour, who lives across the road from the building.

A police officer on patrol first noticed the fire and then came upon an injured young male standing in front of the burning building.

He had been inside and had managed to escape, but he told the officer three of his friends were still inside.

Police attempted to enter the building but were forced back by intense smoke and heavy fire.

“Even as we speak investigators are at the QEH and we’re hoping that they will be able to shed some light on it after the post-mortems are done and hopefully they will be able to finish the post-mortems sometime today,” Charlottetown Deputy Police Chief Gary McGuigan

“I saw the firefighters standing out front and they had flashlights and stuff, but it was just blowing right out and I saw them having to back up,” said a resident who lives across the street who did not want to be identified.

“It was pretty chaotic.”

It took approximately two hours to put the fire out, at which time the three bodies were discovered inside.

Fire inspectors worked through the night to try to determine the cause of the fire, and that investigation is still ongoing.

McGuigan says these efforts could be hampered by some bad weather heading into Charlottetown.

Environment Canada has a freezing rain and rain warning in effect for the city region, and this could mean the fire investigation could take up to two or three days, McGuigan said.

In the meantime, many are wondering why the four young people were in the vacant building in the wee hours of a cold, wintery morning.

Greg Aitken, who lives directly across the street, said he did hear music and noise from what he suspected were parties taking place in the building several months ago.

“We knew this summer that there were kids in there, because you could hear the racket,” he said.

“We didn’t hear anything this winter though.”

Both he and another neighbour said a small gazebo adjacent to the building that burned Saturday was vandalized last summer.

The building had been boarded up and graffiti covered its walls.

Police have secured the premises and will continue remain on site until the fire investigation is complete.

Organizations: Police Services

Geographic location: Sherwood Greens, Charlottetown, Halifax Mount Edward Road

Comments

Comments

• Chris Amey
    April 05, 2014 - 10:12

This is such a tragedy on so many levels and for so many people,my condolences and blessings to all! I lived in Mt.Vernon and knew most of the Parents, everyone is connected some way ..so everyone must be hurting!!!!! My heart just breaks thinking about this tremendous loss! From My Family to all .. Prayers and love, Blessings and stay strong! C.Amey and Family

• From Montague
    March 31, 2014 - 11:27

I am discussed that the Guardian has allowed these post to continue and even to stay on their site. They should shut down the comments sections for this particular situation. Shame on all of you who feel the need to place blame and become judge. Arguing over the death in injury of these 4 boys is senseless to say the least. God Bless those left behind to mourn the loss of 4 bright stars in their community. My prayers are with you. May you all heal quickly.

• Ignore
    March 31, 2014 - 06:00

Unfortunately, there are people who comment online wherever they can just to get other people upset and to start foolishness regardless of the issue, please understand this and ignore. See this link: http://globalnews.ca/news/1157137/internet-trolls-are-sadists-and-psychopaths-canadian-study/

• Thoughts and Prayers
    March 31, 2014 - 05:36

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and those who know and were close to these young people. You have my deepest condolences. This is a tragedy beyond words.

• TO MY DADDY
    March 31, 2014 - 01:05

Dear daddy I turned 1 year old today and we did not celebrate yet as I was hoping you would still come home to watch me open presents and hold me but mommy and nanny showed me your picture all day and said how much you love me I pointed to the door and said dada I know your with me daddy I love you and miss you god has taken you away to soon from me but I know your my guardian angel now RIP DADDY and I know your friends are with you in heaven RIP to all the boys I will be ok daddy love your baby boy son

• enough
    March 30, 2014 - 22:41

To the people leaving respectable comments on here thank you, showing some humanity for a change. My prayers and thoughts to the family and friends of the three victims and prayers to the 4th involved hope you pull through. I knew these people and am disgusted with the people's comments on here that are definitely ignorant and you should be ashamed of yourselves. For a teen to have more common sense than some of the people on here. GROW UP. If you have nothing other than gross rude and out right cruel comments keep them to yourself. And to the guardian..... absolutely lost all respect for your establishment. Signed a disgusting Islander/ Montague

• Ben Adler
      March 30, 2014 - 23:17

Enough, if you are so disgusted by The Guardian why are you still using its comment section?

• enough
      March 31, 2014 - 07:20

I am using the comment section to let every one else who has posted on here that are talking down the victims and there families. And letting the guardian know either the comment section should be filtered or shut down. That is why im on here.

• Don't feed the trolls
      March 31, 2014 - 19:08

Don't feed the trolls folks. I count about 4 posts by trolls and about 30 posts responding to them. That's giving them way more attention than they deserve.

• Chris Cullen
    March 30, 2014 - 19:40

Rest In Piece, such a tragedy.. To the poster who calls himself "SO"... All im going to say, because this is a comment section for the loss of young lives... Is that no one wants to hear your cowardly opinions.. Lives were lost.. Give your condolences or shut your mouth

• best friend.
    March 30, 2014 - 19:15

Okay. listen you got no respect for the young boys! saying there homeless! one has a child and an amazing family!, and the rest all have wonderful family's! just because they were in there doesn't mean there homeless! the boys just wanted to get out of the house for a bit and be with there friends at the hangout! show some respect! R.I.P

• ignorant
      March 30, 2014 - 20:49

It should not matter if homeless or not humans are humans .with a life . No matter where there place in life .It ignorant to say .I dont yhink it matters if homless or not does it it still a tragedy .Pei has so many judgemental and ignorant attitudes .

• friend
    March 30, 2014 - 19:10

these guys were my friends and why does bad stuff allways happen to the good people and if you dont know them then you cant judge them because you didnt know them R.I.P

• How to Cancel
    March 30, 2014 - 19:05

To those of you wondering how to cancel subscription I believe they only accept cancellation by phone. Telephone (902) 629-6000 Email: newsroom@theguardian.pe.ca

• Bill Macro
    March 30, 2014 - 19:00

I get a great laugh out of the commenters braying that The Guardian must close down the comments on this story by using the very same comment section they want shut down. Also, if they bothered to check the various social media you will see that the names of the deceased were posted as early as yesterday as was other personal information about them before it has officially been released by police. What do the families think of that? The Guardian is nowhere as intrusive as some posters on Facebook or Twitter or other social media sites. In fact, compared to some social media The Guardian has been modest in what is being posted on its website. I have not seen any commenters attacking those other sites. Why is that? Could it be hypocrisy? The people attacking The Guardian for its comments are following the social media to read comments The Guardian refuses to approve.

• friend
    March 30, 2014 - 18:54

• jerry compton
    March 30, 2014 - 18:20

please send me the link so i too can cancel my subscription too since you don't want to respect the victim's feelings and wishes.

• Shelby
    March 30, 2014 - 18:05

Some of you people need to learn respect. One of the guys who died was a good friend of mine and a lot of my friends know the other guys. These guys were great and you are no where near perfect to judge anything. Please grow up and stop.

• Shelby
    March 30, 2014 - 18:04

• April Morrison
    March 30, 2014 - 17:43

Dear Guardian, please send me some info on where I find the link to cancel my online subscription. This is not the first time I have been disgusted by the hateful, judgmental comments you allow on a story about such a tragedy , but it will be the last.

• Jack Mac lean
    March 30, 2014 - 17:01

The truth is just as emotional when police respond to any tragedy this is evident as the deputy chief speaks on camera for the loss of life as this tragedy is made public his dignity is first evident as the media reports only with few facts and indifference .when any tragic event involves a parents loss please remember the officers only duty is to those parents.For any Peace Officer the integrity and empathy and courage is self explanatory in Chief McGuigan or any Officer tasked who has yet to impart this tragedy to the families or has previously done so is without equals.

• MagnumPEI
    March 30, 2014 - 16:57

Please Guardian, this is out of control, better shut down comments before your publication becomes a gossip rag. And I don't care if you don't publish this, very many are getting offended all through social media, I just hopped a moderator would shut down the comments or at least edit out speculation by armchair idiots!

• Summerside resident
    March 30, 2014 - 16:49

All comments on here should be pretain to this tragedy and the loss to someones family. The investigation is ongoing and at some point there will be a conclusion on the facts and evidence collected explaining what happened to these victims. This is heart wrenching and a lot of comments I am reading should not have been posted. My condolences at all families involved here and I do hope the victim air lifted to Halifax recovers. Everyone should be praying for these families and their long journeys ahead. Thank You

• EX Firefighter
    March 30, 2014 - 16:46

#1: RIP #2 sorry to all friends, family, & loved ones #3 who said this was this drinking or drug related? #4 RIP

• Deborah Conway
    March 30, 2014 - 16:37

My heartfelt condolences to all the mothers, fathers, siblings and relatives and friends of these three young men whose lives were taken and to the lad in hospital - no words can ever ease your pain, but know that my prayers and thoughts are with all of you....God Bless

• Mary Tourout
    March 30, 2014 - 16:13

So sad

• Josh Duffy
    March 30, 2014 - 14:18

This comment thread is exactly the reason anonymous commenting should not be allowed. Too many hiding behind anonymity who would never post what they do if their identity were revealed. Don't believe me? Check the Guardian's Facebook page. Take note Guardian and take anonymous commenting away; it does you a disservice.

• Rose Keen
    March 30, 2014 - 13:59

Your job is not to Judge. Your job is not to figure out if someone deserves something. Your job as a human being is to lift the fallen, restore the broken and heal the hurting. - Just do your job.

• Aaron b
    March 30, 2014 - 13:53

Too all that are commenting all your personal thoughts on what they were doing who they were and how it happen keep it to yourself not the place to do it the young people who were lost came from very good homes and from who I know very great parents everyone at younger age has done these things they were far from homeless and no need to blame drugs I don't really wana comment on any of this but it's sad to see 6000 km from home where I brag frequently bout the kindness and behaviour of the island way and it's sick to see people commenting things like this Thoughts and prayers to the family's back home I knew only few personally but I know many affected and it's hard to believe they got to read these things when there not true people need to leave this alone to the family's who lost someone sorry for your lost and know there's many with you as for people who don't know please stop making comments cause your being disgraceful sad to see those on here

• Aaron b
    March 30, 2014 - 13:51

• meow
    March 30, 2014 - 13:31

What happened to these boys is horrible..they were my bestfriends..and i know they were the ones there because before one of them went to that building they kissed me on the cheak and gave me at least a dozen huge hugs like he knew it was the last time he was gonna see me..xox love you my monty boys;*;* xoxox R.I.P. you all ment the world to me:'(

• Hugh
    March 30, 2014 - 13:03

When there is a passing, there is a moment of silence to pay respects. Silence. Not whatever this comment section is. Peace be with you all.

• donna wagner
    March 30, 2014 - 12:59

Rest in Peace children, reading all those comments brought an ache to my hear and a tear to my eyes. God help their loved ones dealing with the loss of a child.

• Sickening
    March 30, 2014 - 12:33

To ALL those with " comments"! And more so to The Guardian! There is a time for comments and a time for silence. And prayer.

• Me
    March 30, 2014 - 12:30

Ok for (So) why would you say that don't care if you know them or not, people should not assume anything , they should know the truth before ranting their comment on accusation!!!!!!!! There are families grieving lost ones right now no matter who or how old they Are it was a tragic tragic accident and if you don't know the whole story shut your mouth !!!!!! It is not the time and place to be sending blame to anyone, it is not gonna help the situation , my deepest sympathies go out to all involved in this tragic accident, may God be with you and watch over you during this horrible time !!!!!!!

• Sad day on pei
    March 30, 2014 - 12:23

These boys were friends of my daughters and it is very sad that people would putting these hateful comments on here. How would you guys like it if it was your children that died?????? My deepest condolsences go out to the families and to the friends of these boys

• nat
    March 30, 2014 - 12:23

Guardian... Disable the comments on this story SHAME ON YOU... I know you have to report this story but you do not have to let people comment on it when there are families grieving the loss of children....

• Bobbi lea Henderson
    March 30, 2014 - 12:12

To all the families & friends of these teenagers you have my deepest sympathy you are all in my thoughts and prayers . Please pay no attention to the people who are making assumptions and who are being do disgustingly dispectful . As a mother of a teenager and a pre teen I can not begin to imagine the sadness and hurt you must be feeling . People should not be putting such disgusting posts on here these poor families are going through an unimaginable amount of grief and do not need to hear anything negative . I hope that the boy in Halifax can pull through this and be able to come home and do what he needs to do to get better as has a long road ahead of him . To the 3 beautiful teenagers that are no longer here may you all rest in peace and be beautiful angels in heaven looking down on all your family & friends .

• C.Hillier
    March 30, 2014 - 12:11

Hug your children tight ,because this terrible tragedy can happen to anyone of our children.Prayers for the families who are suffering for the loss of their children.RIP

• John
    March 30, 2014 - 12:06

You people who have nothing good to say but point fingers and start trouble are gutless cowards... The only thing that matters right now is that the family's get support and prayers through these very tragic times .........sighn your name next time. Stop hiding behind a computer........sending.my prayers to the family's at this difficult time

• so sad
    March 30, 2014 - 11:43

Wow some heartless comments on here. As a grown woman with three children of my own I feel sad for the parents brothers and sisters of these young islanders. Be respectful maybe they shouldn't have been there, but they were and now they are gone and there is a small child who had to grow up without his daddy. I have been thinking of all the crazy things I did myself at this age and realizing just how lucky I am to still be here. Keep your negative comments to yourself and I'm sure glade I don't know you your an awful person to be so rude

• Prayers now
    March 30, 2014 - 11:41

If you cannot say something positive don't say nothing. At all....we lost young lives so sad,thoughts and prayers to those left behind each day is a healing day.

• Jodi MacKenzie
    March 30, 2014 - 11:32

Are you leaving the comments up to boost traffic and marketing for your site? You are promoting hate and ignorance by allowing people like "David" and others to comment here. You need to take responsibility for any hurt caused by your site, and encouraging trolls to comment on a story so harrowing as this really is, as Lorena said shameful.

• Ryan.
    March 30, 2014 - 11:22

That property and private road has had many problems because there has been no upkeep to them in the past few years. It is sad that they let it go to that level.

• colleen mcavinn
    March 30, 2014 - 11:16

dear guardian please take down ALL comments! this is not the time nor the place for any of this .... the poor families are greiving!!! there is a place for condolences and there is no business for rumors at all concerning such a matter.

• Lynn MacDonald
    March 30, 2014 - 11:07

I really think those of you that are placing blame on something that has taken the lives of 3 beautiful teenage boys, should think back when you were a teenager and these boys just wanted a night of fun that turned out wrong, I remember as a teen sneaking out, telling my parents that I was sleeping over at a friends just to party and drink , I'm now 50 years old, these boys did not know what was going to happen but it did, should I sit around and blame the drunk driver that killed my mother when I was only 7 months old or hope that he learned from his mistake as I hope all the friends and teenagers learn from this unfortunate incident. Maybe instead of blaming the police, parents, etc you should be thinking how can I help these families out or the little boy that was left behind when his Daddy died, set up a trust fund or something to help these families cope with the extreme loss. I'm using my real name.

• Spenser MacPherson
    March 30, 2014 - 11:02

OMG people! This is social media...it's purpose is to get as many comments as possible. Those that don't like to see/read the comments probably should not participate. YOU are on here by CHOICE. YOU have your opinions, why do you deprive others to express theirs? I do wish there were some way to reject anonymous comments. The mix of a small, highly dense population and social media makes the aspect of people wanting to know and voicing opinion more intense. I'd like to thank The Guardian (and other social media like facebook, CBC, CNN, GLOBAL, Twitter, need I go on?) for giving us the OPTION. May peace be with the families as they deal with this tragedy.

• sandra
    March 30, 2014 - 10:49

I personally am ashamed of my follow islanders on here bashing these kids for just been teenagers . You have no respect or feelings for the deep pain the family and friends of these kids are going through. They will never be forgotten nor will they not be missed . My deepest sympathy to all those affected by this tragedy. R.I.P boys and Jesus hold them close and help their families during this time. We should all remember by the grace of god go we !

• Mother & Nanny
    March 30, 2014 - 10:48

I personally did not know any of these young people that were involved in this terrible accident. YES I Said .ACCIDENT. Being a mother of 3 grown children I know that teens just want to experience life & have a little fun. Yes they made bad choices., but, to all of you that are passing judgement you were and are Perfect as teens you never made bad choices or made your parents worry, wow you were perfect !!!! My heart goes out to all the families involved and a Big Thank You to the Firemen, & Police Officers. My heart goes out to all involved.

• islander left
    March 30, 2014 - 10:27

This is why I left pei ....ignorant arrogant asses that sit there saying crap like shouldn't of been there ..who said they were teens...who in god name gives you mouth pieces the right to flap you gums about things you have no clue about !! Save it for tim hortons you clowns ...these kids are all leaving behind loved ones who will grieve for eternity and remember them for who they were .....which you obviously have no clue ....and odds are ...of the ones on here shooting there mouths off .... have done waaaay worse!!!..........rip young ones ...rip

• Daniel Boudreau
      March 31, 2014 - 00:23

I agree with you totally! I love PEI dearly, and I am back here right now, I could never live here though. Just for this reason!! People walk about town and put on a happy face but this Island is judgement and gossip central. A lot of people would do anything for you but a lot of others would put a knife in your back just to tell a good story. R.I.P to these kids and so sorry for their families and friends.

• Lynn Bradley
    March 30, 2014 - 10:16

This is absolutely disturbing that people who have no idea of all the details or the family and friends of these poor young men even have the opportunity to voice their "opinions". I sure wish I was half as lucky as some of you, to have never suffered such a tremendous loss. How very fortunate you must be to know everything that takes place in fellow Islanders lives. How wonderful to have never been a teenager that may have made one bad choice. This isnt about who these boys were, where they were from or what they were doing. The sad reality is, these young men are gone. They have family and friends who are mourning a terrible loss. A baby that will not get to know his dad!!! Keep your opinions and judgements to yourself! Or at least publish your name, so that when tragedy strikes you or your family, we can pick and choose who we offer sympathy too. Although I am sure that I would still offer my condolences because I realize that you are a human and you deserve RESPECT. Or maybe The Guardian can disable the comments section when it comes to such heartbreaking stories. No family deserves to have the jaded view of some take away from the lives of those they lost. My most sincere condolences to all the family and friends of these young men who lost their lives in this accident. Please have comfort knowing that most of PEI is praying for you and your loved ones. And a huge thank you to the Charlottetown police, fire departments and E.M.S. I cannot begin to imagine how horrific your job was yesterday. I am comforted in believing that your hearts and empathy were with the family and friends of these young men. Thank you for showing them dignity.

• Stacey Cudmore
      March 30, 2014 - 13:14

Well said, Lynn. Prayers and thoughts to the family & friends of the young lives that were lost and the young person who is recovering. Hugging my boys closer.

• Sarah Llewellyn
    March 30, 2014 - 10:16

Thoughts and prayers going to all the families and friends involved in this tragedy! These 3 young lives that were lost and one that we are praying that he makes a recovery!! My heart is especially breaking for the teenager who just had a kid within the last year may god be with your families during your time of grief.

• Sarah Llewellyn
    March 30, 2014 - 10:13

• lostgirl
    March 30, 2014 - 10:01

I'll miss you all so much, you guys were like family. I can't even wrap my head around all this rest in piece boys ♡♥

• An island mourns
    March 30, 2014 - 10:01

Regardless of the circumstances their are 4 families grieving.....there are all kinds of "what ifs"....The comments are made by people who are shocked , stunned by the loss and like us all they are grieving.......looking for answers...why,who,what...??Our thoughts and feelings are now much more open because of our access to media and closeness of our "island "community.....this is not the time to judge ...but to offer support and kindness.....if you look close you can see it in the responses....Risk taking,dangerous adventures,and unexplainable behaviour are put of our natural lives......"oh by the grace of god go I".....my condolences to all at this difficult time.

• Everett Coughlin
    March 30, 2014 - 09:49

Some people should think before they post a comment or at least post your name so everyone can see just how heartless you really are.

• May your memory live on
    March 30, 2014 - 09:22

RIP May your memory live on To all the families of these young people my deepest sympathy may God give you the strength you need threw this horrible accident, may you lean on friends and family threw your saddness, to the young boy recovering may you find strength to heal and recover quickly.... the the young handsome boy who is only 1 year old that has lost his dad in this heart breaking traggic may your family let your dads memory live on each and every day... and last but not least to all you people out there who are not having a heart at this time i pray you never have to deal with a situation like this never but if by chance you ever do i hope when you read comments similar to what you have written may you just remember you did write something the same.. grow up and respect the families at this time of sorrow, a parent should never have to lay their own child to rest and for heavens sakes please keep your rude assumptions to yourself RIP and may your memory live on and lets all pray this young boy recovers and is able to come back to his family

• Marie
    March 30, 2014 - 09:10

My heart goes home for this terrible tragedy and loss. It saddens me when I see stupid speculation instead of wishes for peace of heart and mind. Families and friends must be devastated yet some would rather turn this into something besides the terrible tragedy it is. To the lives passed...RIP. To the young man in Halifax....fight hard and live a good life in memory of your friends. To the families...we are so sorry for your loss!

• May your memory live on
    March 30, 2014 - 09:07

RIP to all that have lost their lives to this dad story, to the young teenager in the hospital may you find strength and recover... To the families of these people may God give you the strength you need in this time of sorrow and may you lean on your friends and family when you need a shoulder.... The the poor 1 year old boy who has to grow up not knowing his daddy may his family keep his dad's memory alive and last but not least to Everyone being disrespectful and saying harsh comments, grow up and remember these were humans who were loved and I hope you never have to go threw what they are all going threw right now, but heaven for if if you ever do may you remember when someone writes hurtful words on your post that you once did the same !!!!!! RIP and may your memory live on in everyone you touched

• Cardigan
    March 30, 2014 - 08:48

My condolences to the families and friends of these young gentlemen. It appals me how insensitive some comments are! We have all made mistakes but we got to go home to our families at the end of the party. Have some respect.

• Lorena
    March 30, 2014 - 08:12

The Guardian should be ashamed of themselves once again!! Comments SHOULD NOT be available for a story like this! Once again a tragedy involving young people and for some reason you deem it newsworthy to have everyone put in their two cents worth! The opinions and nasty comments from the public do not change what has happened here,nor do they help these grieving families!! If you have one ounce of sympathy for these families and the horror they face over the coming days and weeks DISABLE THE COMMENTS!!! Lorena Dunne

• fellowislander
      March 30, 2014 - 08:39

I agree, a lot of these comments are from cruel people who don't care if the families are reading this. The guardian should delete anything hurtful that is said on here

• Elizabeth Fay
      March 30, 2014 - 11:41

Google DOES NOT allow people to post comments or reviews without using your own name .The guardian needs to do the same . People should not be allowed to post whatever they want and be anonymous .

• Elizabeth Fay
      March 30, 2014 - 11:44

• Dianne
      March 30, 2014 - 15:41

People: The Guardian cannot be held responsible for the stupidity of individuals. People who assume and write insensitive articles. Just as the police or owner of the building cannot be held responsible. These boys were doing nothing different than what we ourselves have probably done or our children. The bottom line is that lives have been taken and / or injuries occurred. For this we need to pray for the families and friends. If you cannot use common sense and empathy when writing, please do not write a word. No words would be better than what some of you idiots have written here.

• Dianne
      March 30, 2014 - 15:41

• sammy
    March 30, 2014 - 05:11

We had a very similar tragedy happen back in 1976 two weeks before high school graduation. A terrible car crash at what was call the ‘fish hatchery’ in Southport (Stratford). Three of our students (boys 18/19) from Colonel Gray were killed instantly after hitting a culvert. Two others walked away. It is just terrible all around and I offer my heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of these boys.

• FrostyPixie
    March 30, 2014 - 03:12

My sympathies to the families of these boys. To the mother of one of the boys soon to be one year old child.. be strong. People can be hurtful even when they don't realize they are. You and your child will be ok. My prayers are with you. x

• Dealing with the shock
    March 30, 2014 - 00:56

This is a bitter tragedy. The police and Firemen did what they could. I can understand the grief the parents will have to live with, Parents should never bury their Children. The fact of the matter is that in the grand scheme of things this never should have happened. Kids teenagers and adults seeking shelter should have a place to go. Instead of sending money overseas to help others, can we not just take care of our own? To the parents my deepest sympathy.

• LA
      March 30, 2014 - 12:29

Mr Shock: Since you apparently didn't read the fifty other comments here, it has NOTHING to do with homelessness and nothing to do with your complaints about the government. This is not a launchpad for political complaints but a terrible accident.

• To So
    March 30, 2014 - 00:43

Your a disgrace lives were lost and it is a horrible thing for families to go through. No family should have to deal with the pain these families are going through rip boys you'll be missed

• garland94
    March 29, 2014 - 22:17

My thoughts and prayers go out to the familys going through this tragic event I pray the 4th boy gets better. too bad the city couldnt of torn down this building before it had to turn tragic and 3 lives had to end i couldnt begin to imagine what those parents are going through no parent should have to bury there kids you really messed up this time pei government let people learn from this and tear these abandon buildings down not let them become a hang out for teenagers to go and use and hang out and possibly have an event like this happen again

• frank
      March 30, 2014 - 11:14

Yes, let's tear down every abandoned building in Charlottetown. Better tear down every park too because I hear that teenagers hang out in parks sometimes.

• huh
      March 30, 2014 - 11:15

it takes some really bizarre thinking to blame the government for this.

• Jan Roach
      March 30, 2014 - 11:48

Wow, I fail to see how this is the government's fault. I'd be the first one to comment on an issue but not this. This building was privately owned so you just can't go around tearing down all buildings not in use. This is a terrible tragic accident - God bless the families & friends of the souls now passed & the person in Halifax.

• LA
      March 30, 2014 - 12:22

It has literally zero to do with the government. I can't believe you're able to type, but have reasoning skills so poor. I'd list all your errors but it would be as disrespectful as you are to argue about such stupidity on the backs of these deceased people. So I'll refrain.

• garland94
    March 29, 2014 - 22:12

• Thoughts
    March 29, 2014 - 21:11

I was friends with these boys and nothing will be the same without them. They were just doing what a lot of other people my age do and then this happen.

• Angela Patton
    March 29, 2014 - 21:00

Such a tragedy.They were all wonderful kids with loving families and great friends that will miss them so much.I personally know the families and most if the boys have been to our home at one time .Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families that have been devastated by such a horrific tragedy. We are doing lots of praying that Brandon will have a full recovery and be able to come home soon and start the healing process with his friends and family after such a personally devastating ordeal.My son is the same age as three of these boys and he attends school with them.I am hoping that the high school will have councillors there to help the teens cope with their grief.This is such a loss for our community as a whole.God bless everyone who was affected by this tragedy.

• Joanne Lord MacLeod
    March 29, 2014 - 20:05

God bless those firefighters and police officers ,too . The firefighters went to extinguish a fire , yet had to admit defeat when they tried to possibly save the lives of the 3 boys who were inside .How devastated and helpless they must have felt . God bless you ,firefighters; you did your best ! And the police officers would have to notify the parents / families of the boys . You have difficult jobs at times like this . Bless you all ! Service to our city and its citizens ; thank you !

• Frozen in Canada
    March 29, 2014 - 20:03

Drugs and youth can be a deadly combination. The building didn't suddenly catch itself on fire. Death by misadventure is quite common.

• family of the decease
      March 30, 2014 - 06:43

this is not the time to speculate whawas oing on there.......keep your speculatins to yourself,and let the cops and fire department do their job!!! Respect the decease and their families!!!

• a very sad person
      March 30, 2014 - 09:29

Who said anything about drugs???? I wish people would just understand,It does not matter why and what they were doing there....We as a community and now dealing with a huge loss of Three young men...My you all rest in peace and my your family and friends find the strength and peace that they need at the time...And to the people that are saying gross things may you get the help that you need!!!There has to be something wrong in your had to say such things!!!

• Kathy
      March 30, 2014 - 09:57

Shut these people that have no respect down, Why are you letting these comments thru!!!!!!!

• Donna Mackenzie
      March 30, 2014 - 10:00

I would like this person to put themselves in this situation and think before they make comments like this. You were not in that building and therefore know nothing about what was going on. These boys are all some ones sons and they love them. Pray for all of them and don't be so small minded.

• Donna Mackenzie
      March 30, 2014 - 10:16

• jc
    March 29, 2014 - 19:36

god bless everyone ,living associated with this .one thing is , these teens are so young and will go to heaven for their short time here .please everyone pray for the survivor to saint anne

• So Sad
    March 29, 2014 - 19:36

First off my condolences to the families of these 3 people. This is horrific. One person dying in a tragic way like this is terrible...three people (possibly teenagers) is just unbearable. Second off to all those on here throwing out hurtful and disrespectful comments on here please remember that there are 3 families out there who are without loved ones this evening, and who do come on here to read comments to see condolences, not the hurtful garbage spewed on here. Those who post these hurtful comments you cannot have loved ones. If you did you would be like me and think if this were my little boy dead in a burning building I would never be able to live with it. People who fire these comments on here, there is going to be a special place for you when it is all said and done.

• jc
    March 29, 2014 - 19:33

• R.I.P
    March 29, 2014 - 19:33

They were my friends R.I.P guys ill miss you .

• My sympathies
      March 29, 2014 - 20:22

I am very sorry for your losses. It is very tragic and unfair. Please look to your family and friends to help you get through this difficult time.

• A mom
    March 29, 2014 - 19:18

RIP dear children,prayers to the families.

• hurt
    March 29, 2014 - 19:04

To everyone. They were teenagers!!! Very loved and respected. My children were friends and are having a very hard tome dealing with the deaths of there friends.... have some respect for the family and friends of the decesed

• terr y avery
    March 29, 2014 - 17:43

This is so tragic . Imagine how the families feel. My Condolences. How cruel some of the comments here are. If you had to show your real identity would you be so vocal?? So quick to judge??

• Tony kelly
    March 29, 2014 - 16:57

Was this piece of property being rented out for money

• They knew
    March 29, 2014 - 16:45

The police knew about this building. People have been kicked out and it had been re boarded up, and it happened again. Now these kids have to suffer after probably trying to have a night of fun like any one of us would have done when we were young. Why did the police not do more ? Why was this place not torn down ? Explain that charlottetown police

• M wakelin
      March 29, 2014 - 17:23

Are you serious

• townie22
      March 29, 2014 - 17:26

the police can't put a 24 hour guard on every vacant property in Charlottetown, it was re-boarded up, and was private property. that aside, my Deepest Condolences to the Families of the boys, they were boys just having a little fun like we all did that turned into a tragic accident.

• Unreal
      March 29, 2014 - 17:42

You seriously are not saying it was the police officers who are responsible. You need your head read if that's the case. It's a TRAGIC ACCIDENT you moron!

• LA
      March 29, 2014 - 18:48

Stop inserting your ludicrous anti-police platform into this terrible tragedy. Even the dead would be insulted by your ridiculous accusations that have logic holes the size of Pluto. As for the person named "Truth", your baseless speculations hardly count as truth. How about you both save it and just offer your sincere condolences to the poor families and friends of these people. I certainly do.

• Vernon River
      March 29, 2014 - 19:23

A little fun, or maybe just trying to keep warm while staying out of the elements. Either way, a tragic story........nothing worse than losing a brother and/or sister I have been down that road. Now being the parent of a young daughter I can not imagine what the parents are feeling right now........I am so sorry for your loss.....

• r u serious
      March 29, 2014 - 23:34

That's the most ridiculous thing i ever heard you are a moron. First off to tear it down is not police decision, its the property owners decision, the city could have ordered it if need be but not the police. And second why would it be ordered by city to be torn down it was used for years than closed and for sale than sold to a developer who I'm sure would have torn it down eventually build something new but it should not have been torn down just because it was not being used. by that theory every house forsale that is empty that hasn't sold instantly should he torn down... you disgust me and need to think before you type... iq=0

• thoughts r with u
    March 29, 2014 - 16:38

What does it matter if they were homeless or not. THEY WERE HUMANS.....someones child....so if they were homeless they still deserve respect..and as they were not homeless...same goes HAVE RESPECT FOR THE FAMILIES AND ONES TAKEN IN SUCH A BAD WAY.....This island has alot of cruel people who comment on here. We all are human...we all hurt...we all bleed. The material we own or do not own does not reflect who we are the gesture and respect we give to others is who defines a person. RIP you will all be missed

• Charlottetown
    March 29, 2014 - 15:47

they were not homeless and they were teens that lost their lives, my prayers go out to the families of the three that died and to the one in hospital , very very sad day here in P.E.I. May god be with you all.

• Jody
    March 29, 2014 - 14:18

My deepest sympathies to all who are affected by this incredible strategy. Thoughts and prayers to all who loved these children. Now my hope is that the 4 teenager involved can make a full recovery.

• sad
    March 29, 2014 - 13:46

This is awful. RIP.

• Truth
    March 29, 2014 - 13:07

The people who died were homeless people who were living there..

• Your wrong
      March 29, 2014 - 14:04

They were kids you thoughtless...

• Respect
      March 29, 2014 - 14:07

They were not homeless people, they were peoples teenage children. Get your facts straight. Plus even if it was homeless people as you say (which it wasn't)} homeless people still have family. have some respect.

• Where?
      March 29, 2014 - 14:25

Where does it say in the story that they are teenagers?

• Tell Me
      March 29, 2014 - 15:59

What exactly is your point?

• To respect
      March 29, 2014 - 16:02

Why would you say get your facts straight? No one has confirmed it was teenagers other than people on here speculating and why is disrespectful to say they were homeless? It' certainly not a crime.

• R.I.P DADDY
      March 29, 2014 - 20:54

JUST SO YOU ALL KNOW THESE BOYS WERE NOT HOMELESS ONE OF THESE YOUNG TEENAGERS WAS MY DADDY AND I TURN 1 YEAR OLD TOMORROW SO PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL AS I HAVE TO GROW UP NOW WITH OUT HIM.

• chris .
      March 29, 2014 - 21:29

they were my cousins . and friends . they were not homeless . they were like any other teenager now have some respect for my family and the others who have been touched . this could have been your kid .

• Outraged
      March 30, 2014 - 10:59

You sob...are you not reading those comments...it says those kids went to school with my kids, or your kids and they are hoping that there are counsellors there for the kids so I believe that tells you that they are school aged kids and that yes they have loving families who lost their loving children and they definately do not need to hear your ludicrus comments...it is obvious that you have no one in your life, that you love, as it shows that you are incapable of showing any kind of compassion...please if you have nothing good to say on here please PLEASE refrain from commenting at all...I know the family of one of those boys and they love their son beyond anything that you could even imagine...they definitely were not homeless and you stupid f........just because no names were given...this is PEI...everyone knows everyone so ya people definitely know who they are...so keep your asshole comments to youself

• Sherwooder
    March 29, 2014 - 13:05

My heart goes out to families and friends of these young teens.. An unbelievable tragedy. I'm also thinking about the Police, Fire Dept and Paramedics who attended the scene. Hope all have the support to help them through this.

• Charlottetown
      March 29, 2014 - 15:49

very true, my heart goes out to the pple on scene that must of been so hard for them .

• rip
      March 29, 2014 - 16:19

i knew them . they were just teens doing normal things . like what i use to do . dont be assuming there homeless . and dont be talking about them have some respect . cause you never know it could be your child next

• rip
      March 29, 2014 - 16:21

• So
      March 29, 2014 - 19:03

Don't really care if you knew them or not. People can assume what they want. Fact is they were where they should not have been.

• kim macdonald
      March 30, 2014 - 21:39

I would like to express my sympathies to all family and friends of the 3 boys who passed away in this tragic event. I would like to send my prayers to the young man who is in the Halifax hospital. A parents worst nightmare is to lose a child. Also for the baby of the young man who passed and his mom. May God bless you both and may this young man watch over the both of you. To the policemen and fire fighters who went to the scene you did your best and may you find the faith to deal with such a horrific accident. We are so quick to place blame instead of seeing things for what they are. A terrible accident.