Bars given OK to open early for gold medal hockey game

Liquor Control Commission headquarters in Charlottetown

Beer drinkers are in luck for Sunday’s gold medal hockey game between Canada and Sweden.

The P.E.I. Liquor Control Commission is allowing bars in the province to open early Sunday morning to allow fans to show their patriotism while rooting on Team Canada.

The Old Triangle and Factory Cookhouse and Dancehall are just two of the bars in Charlottetown that will be opening and serving alcohol earlier than usual for the game. Both will open at 7:30 a.m. Sunday.

Other jurisdictions across the country have also allowed bars to open up early for the big game. Manitoba bars will be opening as early as 5 a.m.

Team Canada will face off against Sweden at 8 a.m.

Organizations: P.E.I. Liquor Control Commission, Team Canada

Geographic location: Canada, Sweden, Charlottetown Manitoba

Comments

Comments

• Ricky
    February 24, 2014 - 08:50

I am not an alcoholic , and I work the night shift , a lot of times I enjoy a cold beer at 6 am on Sunday morning as soon as I'm off shift !

• laughing
    February 23, 2014 - 22:28

Hi Big Deal: I said a little prayer for you in church. You don't sound very happy,especially when Canada did so well!!! Poor loser? Hope you had a little drink for me. Ha!!!

• Spencer
    February 23, 2014 - 21:02

Wow, as the population of PEI ages, it sure does get lame. Hooray for beer and hockey! I am Canadian! I even paid for my beer with earned money, not with an unemployment check.

• fearless
    February 23, 2014 - 15:09

Your right ,give me a break .Too many cult followers and others alike worried about their dwindaling exsistance on this isle .Closed minds do not open new doors.

• Give me a break
    February 23, 2014 - 11:20

What's with all the negative comments? People aren't going to the bar just to get drunk. They're going there for the social aspect and to support their country. If an alcoholic wants to get drunk on a Sunday morning, they'll do it regardless if the bars are open or not. I guess everybody commenting here probably didn't care that we actually won the gold medal too. Go back to your anti-social holes you crawled out of to post these comments.

• don
      February 23, 2014 - 14:30

i bet that was the best sales they will have all year. you do not go to a BAR and drink apple juice. what year were you born in?

• nitpicker
      February 23, 2014 - 17:31

Not sure about you Don but many times I have gone into a bar for the social setting and felt no compulsion to drink alcohol. Not really sure what the year of someone's birth has to do with anything, either.

• Calm Down
    February 23, 2014 - 10:53

You all sound like Sweden fans. My god it's for a couple of hours, for a chance we get only once every 4 years. But it just goes to show islanders will complain about absolutely anything.

• voter
    February 23, 2014 - 07:07

watch out for EXTRA impaired drivers today

• Realistic
    February 23, 2014 - 06:13

Nothing says national pride like "alcohol abuse". Which is what drinking at 7AM is, no matter what the context.

• Zek Barzak
    February 23, 2014 - 02:48

Drink up folks,I am sure Father Grab-all will be there before the sermon.I am sure the Po-Po will have the road blocks up right after as well, Glad I am Amish and I will be taking the horse and buggy. Zek Barzak

• Jackofalltrades
    February 22, 2014 - 22:51

This happens once every four years, it's not every week. If people don't like the idea or don't want to watch it at a bar....don't go but it doesn't mean others don't want to go out and the watch the game with a crowd. Pretty sad that people are looking down their noses at others who want to go out to cheer and support something in which the rest of the country is doing the same. Other parts of the country are able to get on board with the idea of people getting out together to celebrate, support and cheer on something that means alot to Canadians and something that Canadians can be proud of....but yet in PEI it's considered pathetic and shameful. Sad.

• disgusted
    February 22, 2014 - 22:18

Really pathetic---and on a Sunday at that. More tax money for the Liberals!!!! Things are going from bad to worse. I will be in church.

• free PEI
      February 23, 2014 - 03:56

I wouldn't go to church they support sunday drinking, that water into wine thing and lets not forget communion.

• huh
      February 23, 2014 - 07:11

Yes, I am sure with such a tax haul this morning they will be able to balance their budget.

• Coors Light
      February 23, 2014 - 08:36

You'll be pretty lonely in there this morning.

• bob
      February 23, 2014 - 10:30

So you want to go watch one person drink on a Sunday

• Big Deal
      February 23, 2014 - 17:46

So what. You are going to church. Here's the news. That doesn't make you special. All it makes you is a judgemental hypocrite. If you don't want to drink on a Sunday then feel free not to.

• Drunks
    February 22, 2014 - 19:03

Why do we need alcohol at 7 am to enjoy the game? This is shameful. Our government is so irresponsible.

• No Beer
    February 22, 2014 - 19:01

Pretty bad you need friggin' beer to watch hockey. Beer is useless and so is hockey.

• Gordie
      February 23, 2014 - 07:26

I'm not that big into Hockey either, But I think you lead a very boring life

• Garth Staples
    February 22, 2014 - 18:52

THE GOVT gave permission! How paternal. No need for Govt to GIVE permission. Let the businesses and the clients determine when to open.

• stephen harper
      February 23, 2014 - 06:49

You are wrong Mr. Staples. It is the will of the majority of people that decides. Island society has long had difficulty with alcohol. The temperance movement of the first 50 years in the 20th century took hold here very strongly and it still has influence 100 years later. Personally, I think this was the wrong decision. Bars shouldn't be open on Sundays.

• Drink Up
    February 22, 2014 - 18:23

I think that should read "to allow fans to show their "alcoholism" while rooting on Team Canada. Go Canada!!

• A mother
      February 22, 2014 - 23:34

Who would want to take children into a bar? They will be in soon enough. When did the rule change so children can get in as long as they are accompanied by an adult? I suppose it is o.k. as long as they are eating popcorn or chips in there. What an example to the little children.

• Helen Lovejoy
    February 22, 2014 - 18:22

Will someone not think of the children?

• Barr none
      February 22, 2014 - 19:07

Do people not have a T.V. in their own home. I think it's pretty bad that you have to go or should I say want to go to a bar on Sunday morning to watch a game. Isn't family time small enough without heading to a bar on SUNDAY morning.

• John E. Storm
      February 22, 2014 - 19:44

No need to leave the kids behind; children are allowed in the bar with an adult.

• Rev Lovejoy
      February 23, 2014 - 10:29

You realize that Helen Lovejoy is from The Simpsons www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybNI0KB1bg