Charlottetown city police take another drunk off the road

There are signs along our highways urging you to call police if you see someone driving erratically. They might be drunk. Or they might be just changing radio stations. Nevertheless, do you call 911 before they kill someone?

Charlottetown Police Services charged a 33-year-old Charlottetown man for impaired driving after receiving a complaint about a possible drunk driver in the Victoria Park area early Saturday morning.

The man was jailed and will appear in court at a later date.

Police would like to thank the public for their assistance in keeping the roads safe and encourage the public to report any instances of impaired driving by calling 911.

Organizations: Police Services

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Victoria Park

Comments

Comments

• Bill Carr
    February 17, 2014 - 10:53

Regular Joe, so you don't think getting drunks off the road and stopping them from killing or injuring others is an emergency? Is that right. Also, the 911 system sure has more then one telephone line. If I understand it right, all emergency calls go to the Island EMS centre and they then route them to the proper authorities so if it is a medical emergency EMS is right there on the phone. There would have to be one heck of a lot of calls to plug the 911 system. If calling the RCMP or city police for impaired drivers was causing a problem why would those agencies promote calling them?

Regular Joe
    February 17, 2014 - 08:03

@ Bob MacDonald . I didn't say the program was not good . All I'm saying is 911 was not set up to be a tip line it is an emergency line an a emergency line only . You want a tip line for impaired drivers then let MADD or local Law Enforcement set up their own tip line not piggy back on 911 . I don't see MADD offering any money for wages for operators, an dlocal law enforcement hasn't offered any of their budget either . So a real medical Emergency ,for which the line was set up for gets to take a back seat for phone tips to police which a lot turn out to be false . Public wants a tip line then set up a tip line and bring RCMP MADD and local law on board but leave 911 for what it is supposed to be used for . Oh an sorry to hear about your aunt that's tragic indeed . No more tragic then someone dieing from a heart attack cause the 911 line was busy from someone calling in a tip to police . They are just going to transfer you to RCMP or police so why not just call them first .

• jimbob
    February 16, 2014 - 15:08

that's a crock of bs regular joe When in doubt call 911 don't hesitate. the hesitation may cost a life. the problem with 911 is simple if the line is busy there isn't enough lines in an also the emergency service is understaffed. It's not rocket science.

Regular Joe
      February 16, 2014 - 17:28

Why call 911 just put RCMP dispatch in your favorites list an call them instead of using 911 lines . It is island taxpayers funding this system so tell me now how much MADD or our local law enforcement have put into it out of their Budgets

• Busy signal
    February 15, 2014 - 18:29

That's good news I just wish that the time I called 911 on a drunk driver I didn't get a busy signal. And after following the guy for on hold he decided to drive across someone's yard to get away from me

Regular Joe
      February 16, 2014 - 11:16

911 busy from to many people using it for what it was not set up for . This is supposed to be an emergency use only line not a tip line for RCMP . If MADD things this is such a hot idea why are they not using some of their billions to set up such a line . I think it's a good idea but not when you tie up 911 calls reporting a possible crime . I'm sure everyone would feel good if one of their family could not get rescue by calling 911 because line was busy because someone was sending a tip to police . The MADD Corp has billions of dollars check it out.No reason for taxpayers to be paying for this 911 service only to have it not be readily available because someone is using it for a tip line .

• Bob MacDonald
      February 16, 2014 - 15:46

This is in reply to "Regular Joe" who doesn't think people should be calling 911 to report drunk drivers. umm I sure wish someone had called 911 to report the guy that killed my Aunt years ago. Are you crazy that you don't think that is a an appropriate thing to do! The only thing I can think of is that you must drive after you have had a few....well I hope they catch you.

• d from queens
    February 15, 2014 - 13:47

Public keep up the good work. the drunk drivers. will catch on sooner or later.