Woman wants help with vet bills for dog

Dave Stewart

A Charlottetown resident is furious with the P.E.I. Humane Society for refusing to cover at least a part of her vet bill.

Mary Dicks said she adopted a part Maltese, part Shih Tzu dog from the animal shelter on Dec. 20 before noticing that there was blood in the dog’s urine about five days after the animal received its second booster shot on Jan. 9.

Dicks named her adopted dog Holly, hoping it would serve as a companion to her other dog, Dickson, a mix of Maltese and Bijon. Holly was a stray when the Humane Society picked her up. The dog is estimated to be about four years old.

Dicks said she noticed blood in Holly’s urine because she has her dogs trained to urinate on incontinence pads. She took the pads into Charlottetown Veterinary Clinic where a veterinarian did a urinalysis. The test showed white and red blood cells, which is typical of cystitis and infection, according to a letter from the clinic Dicks provided to The Guardian.

The test also showed moderate amounts of crystals and a small amount of cocci bacteria. Holly was treated with antibiotics.

Dicks said she noticed more blood on the pads, periodically, two weeks later.

Ultimately, the vet recommended cystotomy surgery to explore the bladder and remove all stones present. The cost of the surgery is about $600, before taxes. That doesn’t include $85 for bloodwork.

Dicks alleges Holly had the condition while she was still in the care of the Humane Society, and that seems to be supported by the vet that treated Holly who wrote in a letter to the animal shelter that the dog’s condition “might suggest a longer standing urinary tract issue or previous vaginitis that had never been addressed with Holly’s previous owners.’’

Dicks said the Charlottetown vet sent off a letter and X-rays to the Humane Society detailing Holly’s condition and care.

“Surely, they’ll turn around and help her,’’ Dicks said, noting that she’s gotten nowhere with the Humane Society in terms of getting help with the bill.

Dicks said she was told by the society that the shelter’s volunteers would have noticed blood in Holly’s urine.

“I told her they wouldn’t have noticed it unless they were looking for it. The only reason I noticed it was because I had them trained on puppy pads. Something should have tipped them off.’’

Dicks said the animal shelter is refusing to pay any portion of the bill, telling Dicks that if she can no longer care for Holly she has the option of surrendering the dog back to them.

Kelly Mullally, executive director of the Humane Society, said Holly was healthy when she left the shelter.

“All of the animals that are adopted from the Humane Society are medically checked,’’ Mullally said. “We have a shelter veterinarian who is a member of the (P.E.I. Veterinary Medical Association).

“We can’t run expensive diagnostics on every single animal that comes through our hands. We don’t have the resources for that, obviously, but we do basic medical care, for sure, and an animal is deemed to be either healthy when it goes home as part of the adoption or, if there is something that we are aware of, we have a conversation with the adopter and it’s part of the adoption contract and we make them aware of an issue that could be coming down the road.’’

Adopters are also given access to free pet insurance for 30 days after the adoption, as long as it’s activated online within 72 hours of getting the pet home.

Mullally said it then becomes the owner’s responsibility to care for their pet and if they cannot do so, they will take the animal back.

Dicks said she did activate the insurance but noted that it doesn’t cover major expenses.

“Holly wasn’t healthy when she was adopted out. That stone was there for some time. Why didn’t they discuss (the situation with my vet). It’s like they don’t want to have anything to do with the vet or her findings. I’m basically being told ‘Here is the animal, now kiss off’.’’

Dicks has since turned to the Internet for financial help, asking for donations on the website www.gofundme.com, under the search ‘To give Holly a second chance in life’.

So far, she’s raised about $800, money Dicks says she will use for the surgery on Feb. 28 (she’s trying to get it moved up), as well as followup visits to the vet and any medications the dog might need.

“If nothing comes of it, I hope it puts potential adopters on their toes when they do to adopt. If I had it to do over again, I would have taken Holly to a vet for an independent assessment immediately after the adoption was completed (but) hindsight is wonderful.’’

dstewart@theguardian.pe.ca

Twitter.com/DveStewart

Organizations: Humane Society, P.E.I. Veterinary Medical Association

Geographic location: Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• Seriously?!?
    February 10, 2014 - 21:36

What a lady... I have adopted 3 animals from the shelter and was well aware of the responsibilities that were now mine. They are quite thorough despite the high volume of animals they find homes for. They are rescue you pets.. they actually assess your ability to afford the animals and the potential care they may need. If I was buying a high breed race horse I may be expecting something different....why discredit an organization that saves the lives of so many animals....geee

• Youngislander
    February 09, 2014 - 20:33

I actually have a friend who adopted a cat from the PEIHS, found it was sick several days later and contacted them. They paid for the vet visit and medications. It wasn't a known illness when she took it home, but they paid for it anyway. I kind of thought this was their policy. The Humane Society obviously must make these decisions on a case by case basis, and I support them to make these decisions themselves. I make donations to the Humane Society whenever I can, not always monetary but with food and other pet supplies. I also support Ms. Dicks in asking for help, without judgement on her financial status. Yes, there can be huge costs with owning a pet, but pet ownership should not be reserved for the wealthy. What a great idea to reach out for donations, there are always those willing to help if you simply ask. I wish the dog, the owner and the Humane Society the best possible outcome for this situation, which is a healthy pet in a loving home and the Society knowing it was able to find such a caring owner who will go to great lengths to ensure her pet's health.

• Youngislander
    February 09, 2014 - 20:32

• Wes
    February 09, 2014 - 20:16

If you can't afford to look after and care for a dog then don't get a dog. Unbelievable that anyone is trying to force the Humana Society to pay the bills. Pretty slimy if you ask me. If he dog is sick and you can't afford to look after it then have it put asleep. Maybe next time if you want a second pet you can get yourself a stuffed toy. Plus maybe animal welfare should be looking at just what kind of care you offer your current dog now.

• Wes
    February 09, 2014 - 20:16

• oh !!!!
    February 09, 2014 - 18:38

if the society had diagnosed the dog before it went out --would it have been treated or put down ?

• concerned
    February 09, 2014 - 14:37

I am quite concerned about all of the people on here who are saying go out and get a purebred dog or cat from a breeder. Breeders can only guarantee for genetic conditions. They can't make any guarantees outside of that. Animals get sick, that's just a fact of life. My purebred dog got sick 3 months after he arrived in my home. It took more than one vet visit to diagnose the problem. So maybe little holly was mistakenly given a clean bill of health from her 1 vet visit. Maybe that condition wasn't noticed that one and only visit she was given. Breeders and the humane society will tell you to get your pet into a vet clinic for a checkup after you get them. It's your pet, you signed the papers for it so you are taking the responsibility for the cost of healthcare for said pet. When I had to take my dog to the vet only 3 short months after I got him I had to pay all his vet bills myself. I was on a fixed income and I had to use up my "emergency" money for his surgery. Being a pet owner I am fully aware of the costs that go along with the privilege of having a pet. I didn't go looking for handouts. My pet, my responsibility. All you nay sayers of the humane society why don't all of you try having an animal rescue and see all of thebtime and hard work that goes into nursing some of them back to health. Having to take care of them and feed them and make sure they are all healthy. This organization picks up where other people give up on their commitment to these animals. They rely on donations to make sure that these animals have food and a safe place to sleep until they are adopted. Yes I did get my pet from a breeder but I am also an advocate for adoption. You never know, someone's failed commitment may end up being your new best friend.

• john
    February 09, 2014 - 13:38

maybe they shuld have a benefit for yer dogs hahahaha if I could get all my money back that I spent on vet bills in the last 10 year id be a rich man , if you cant take care of your pet please give him too someone that can .

• Can't afford
    February 09, 2014 - 12:59

To LA. I ll remember your post the next time there is a benifit dance for a sick child or family with cancer . Or someone that needs a transplant ect. I'll just say "well ,if you can't afford them don't have them ." That shows that you not a animal advocate . Really the humane society should give her her adoption fee back . Why would they say they would take the dog back ? They can't afford to treat it. So would they just adopt to some one else the same way with the same untreated condition ? Or would they euthanize ? It's a big double standard . I doubt the dog was a stray . When you adopt from humane society they don't have answers even if they do know they just don't say or I have no idea . To say it was a stray is to say we don't know anything and responsibility is past on . These fees are charges because of the care but dogs do not go to the adoption floor right away . That condition to have surgery has been there a long time .

• LA
    February 09, 2014 - 12:00

If you can't afford to treat a possible condition in your pet, don't get one, period. The Humane Society is not a Lexus dealership and anyone who wants to criticize it can put their money where their mouth is before they open it. Any animal can get sick at any time and it's YOUR responsibility, no one else's. The Society has no obligation to "help out." It's a rescue and adoption service, not a medical charity. Get over yourselves, all you selfish and loud-mouthed complainers, and go volunteer there if you want to be qualified to speak about it.

• Sick of uninformed people
      February 09, 2014 - 15:20

THE ANIMAL WAS SICK WHEN SHE GOT IT....the vet report proves it...what makes you GOD...u have an attitude and you better be a volunteer at the Humane Society or make a public appoligy. have you got as much information as you possibly could before posting this comment...I DONT THINK SO !!! The Society has an obligation to help out if it is proven that the animal was sick when adopted. Quote from the PEI Humane Society.."4. Adoption fees include: spay/neuter surgery, 30 days complimentary animal health care insurance, microchip ID, deworming and current vaccinations. "" All Ms. Dicks was asking them to do was cover half of the bill since it was within the 30 days. It was her legal right and stated in the contract she signed with them. If they are not going to honor their end of the contract then they should change the wording. Why should the dog be returned...were they going to provide the surgery for the dog...were they going to adopt it out again with no surgery...were they going to put the dog down...??? In all 3 cases the dog is better off where it is, and kind people have already donated to the surgery and the money did not come out of your pocket so I suggest you come down off of your high horse until you learn to get your information correct.

• Lindsey
      February 10, 2014 - 07:18

It was not the Shelter's legal right to cover the bill. So perhaps you are misinformed. The shelter offers a free 30 days of pet insurance through ShelterCare (a third party) with adoption that you have 72 hours to activate online. As a previous adopter I assure you the process takes less than 5 minutes. They make this very clear in your appointment with the adoption counselor, and go so far as to highly recommend it. So perhaps you need to get your information correct ;)

• To Lindsey
      February 10, 2014 - 12:27

• Sick of uninformed people
      February 10, 2014 - 13:44

To Lindsey, and anyone else who does not know how to read and COMPREHEND the Guardians story... She did fill out the pet insurance within the 72 hours, the vet has informed the society that the dogs sickness was pre existing when she adopted it. She has not asked the society for the full amount of the surgery, she asked for help, and was told to return the dog. Why is everyone having such a hard time understanding that this lady has paid out a lot, will pay out a lot more and is only requesting 1/2 of the surgery be paid for by either the insurance company or the society. I sincerely hope anyone who has posted harsh comments in their ignorance have the same thing happen to them in some form experience the feeling that Ms. Dicks must have felt as the bills kept coming in for a pet she has only had a short time and has bonded with, but adopted with the trust that where she got it was adopting out a healthy animal. If you are not donating to her cause then why slander her, I am sure in each of your backrounds you also have done things that other people have questioned, but did you also receive the slander she is getting for her caring personality??????????????? Shame on you people of PEI

• Make a donation t.o Humane Society
    February 09, 2014 - 08:35

To anyone posting negatively about the Humane Society, perhaps you may want to donate to them each year so that they can provide more. They can only work with the funds they are given. Also, if people need to realize that animals are a LIFETIME commitment. They are not teddy bears that you can throw away when you tire of them! This would ease some of the burden on the Humane Society as fewer animals would be surrendered. When you find a stray animals and call the humane society and they can't help, maybe it is because they are at capacity. What do you expect them to do? They are at capacity because of the people who get animals when they shouldn't and then toss them away. While it is unfortunate that this lady will have to pay a big vet bill, the dog is still young. Average the cost over many years of enjoyment and I think you still got a really great deal and a sweet little puppy.

• Trudy
    February 09, 2014 - 08:06

I don't know how much some of you people know about the condition the dog had but before you speak look it up, this is something that just doesn't start a week after you get the dod but something that has build up over time and yes the people who are at the humane society should help out , I have a small dog as well who had this and if it wasn't for the snow I would not of sent he blood however if the humane society did a complete check up which involves urine test they would of noticed something at least a good vet would. This lady should ask for a copy of the medical test ran on the dog and se what they checked the dog for

• vick
    February 09, 2014 - 07:52

Human society really is a joke……they take in big money and give themselves big salaries! They get over $100,000 just from the city of chtown and do nothing for the residents…..if your looking for a good dog/cat you should purchase from a breeder, you get a purebred animal, backing, and you know the parents and can actually see the parents……you get what you pay for!

• msrgirl
    February 08, 2014 - 23:04

The Humane Society has to rely on donations from public and private sources....They are doing a wonderful service to unwanted animals on a shoestring budget. If you adopted a dog with a urinary problem, then look after the problem or surrender your dog back to the care of the society. I'm sure the employees would have alerted he Vet. if they were aware of the problem.....The dog wasn't urinating on pads and the blood in the dogs urine probably wasn't noticed....I'm sure that someone would be more than happy to re-adopt a little dog....Stop complaining.

• lack of compassion
      February 09, 2014 - 10:47

"msrgirl" HUMMMM so what you are saying is she should bring back the dog so someone else can adopt it and its problems. Is that how you solve your problems, passing them on to someone else. Its not only the surgery thats taking her money, she spent well over $600.00 on the dog for adoption, vet bills, and special diet food so far. Thats before she was informed none of it was working, so now cough up the money for surgery. Did you see where the vet sent a letter stating the issue was pre existing before the dog was adopted. CAN YOU GUARENTEE THIS DOG WOULD BE ADOPTED OUT AGAIN TO PEOPLE THAT WOULD PAY THE $300 ADOPTION FEE AND $1000 IN VET AND SURGERY BILLS BY FEB 27TH.

• msrgirl
    February 08, 2014 - 23:01

• don
    February 08, 2014 - 20:48

This is to the fallowing. Give me a break, For real?, Huh?, well lets hope when you need medical tests done that are very costly to the tax payers the doc tells you sorry we can not run the tests as they are to costly. And we need to save money. But if you die who cares we saved money. to you all named above i hope it happens to you that tests are not run due to the cost to tax payers and shame on you these animals are a part of God pets and you show that you could care less what if that was a child and you adopted it and you found out the same how would you feel? A pet is the same to real humans thy are family. But i guess you need a heart and you ll show you do not. But remember what goes around comes around.

• Give me a break
      February 09, 2014 - 13:50

Excuse me? Why is this directed at me? I believe you added me in error. I believe this lady should pay her own bills and donate the money she solicited to pay her dog bills to the Humane Society. Oh I have 1 more curiosity... I do wonder if she is going to claim all that money she collected on her income tax return next year. CRA take notice, let's see if she claims this money as income next year. If she donates it, great but if not??? Hmmmmmm Wow Don you are certainly a nasty person wishing bad upon us. As you say what goes around comes around sooooo best watch your words Mr Don. FYI I donate Lots of money to the QEH Foundation, Heart Fund, Cancer Society, Kidney Foundation, etc... etc... etc... So if you need help my money will be helping you too sir... Think before you speak next time. Oh I also donate lots of money, food and newspaper to the Humane Society as well... Peace Out Don !!!

• don
    February 08, 2014 - 20:37

so really the humane group should tell everyone pets are tested but only the cheap ones. and buyers beware. no refunds and do not bother us. that to me would be a turn off from helping the group if thats how they handle the animals in there care. and can you tell me they did not notice anything wrong with the dog or is it hey just DO NOT CARE?

• ForTheLoveOf
    February 08, 2014 - 20:18

This woman is seriously going to expect a non-profit organization to pay her vet bills? Unbelievable! They do the best they can at the Humane Society. They depend on donations to do the work they do and she wants them pay her vet bills? She obviously cannot afford to have a dog let alone two.

• lack of compassion
      February 09, 2014 - 10:56

"ForTheLoveOf" Read the story with an open mind. its obvious you have never been in a situation where you needed a few dollars in a rush. She can afford 2 dogs, I am the breader that sold her the first dog. I know her history, and you dont. She lives on a limited income, and those 2 dogs will get what they need if she has to starve to supply it. She has spent her alloted amount for the next few months to get to this point with the dog, all she was asking for was help from the Humane Society, and was ignored. It was myself and a few more friends that encouraged her to do the funding site because we are well aware that "Holly" is where she should be, in a loving and caring home. know the story before you hurt a person more than they are already hurting.

• Disaappointed with Humane Society
    February 08, 2014 - 18:52

I can't believe the Humane Society didn't offer to help with any of the medical cost after the recent adoption. This lady is not looking for a handout but looking for the Humane Society to take on some of the responsibility. Yes, we all know that pets get sick but who would expect this to happen the week after they leave the shelter. This lady's intention was to save a rescue dog nothing less or nothing more.

• Not animal advocates
    February 08, 2014 - 18:42

Most of these posts are to dismiss this lady . You are not advocates or animal activists that you think you are . I discontinue supporting the humane society at all . I find the staff very rude , and demeaning , condescending . Not in the least bit polite , helpful, educational . The issue here his the dog and it's well being the humane society certainally can accesses diagnostic tests I hope if an animal in there care takes I'll . There is an sir Dunn animal welfare unit . If not then what is this teaching hospital for and animal lovers all over leaving estate money for animal welfare . The issue at hand is a sentinal animal a helpless animal . Who most likely taken to the shelter buy the former owner most likely had prior knowledge of this condition and have up the dog If you care about this animal at all that is the priority . I my self have been quite shocked at times. At the unpleasant atmosphere in the humane society . Look at the comments about pee pads I've used them in cold , geriatrics . Post vet visits as well it not always safe at night to let little breeds go out even if you go with them due to coyotes many reasons . I think it is not a temper tantrum ,( which that statement shows how the attitude of humane society really is )but more of disappointment and worry that the animal is sick , and it obvious it is a comparable home and fit in well . If animal people were more supportive of other animal owners as there are a few on line fundraisers in the past for animals that required expensive treatment . Why can't people just be supportive instead of judgemental rants . This dog little Holly did not ask to go to the shelter and it is the animal that needs a little help that is why it is called the humane society if animals are suitable to the adoption ,I hope you support this lady and remember dog spelled backwards it spells God

• Huh?
      February 08, 2014 - 19:12

That ramble and rant made little sense. The bottom line is that the humane society is a not for profit charity. The most this lady should get is a refund on her adoption fee. The PEIHS will continue to get my support for the good work they do.

• ForTheDogSake
      February 09, 2014 - 06:57

You must remember that the people who work there see an awful lot of ugly events that take place and I'm sure it taints their trust in handing over animals that they have cared for. If there's a little attitude showing now and again at the shelter, I think it's understandable. Your attitude, however, is not. Honestly, do you think the HS is there scamming people? Give your head a shake.

• For real?
    February 08, 2014 - 17:06

Seriously, this woman needs a reality check! How selfish of her to throw out blame as soon as her animal might have a problem. This problem could easily have been missed, and may not have even been symptomatic while in the shelter's care. Heck she only noticed because her dogs pee indoors and it happened over a number of weeks (aka it developed!) in her own care. The shelter has gone above and beyond for the animals it cares for. Anyone who has any actual knowledge of the shelter knows that they do everything in their power to help fix problems that arise. Thousands and thousands of dollars have gone into helping animals with far more problems than urinary issues. Do some slip through the cracks? Sure. But guess what - adopting a dog means that you will take responsibility for that animal the day it walks out the door. They provide the best care possible while the animal is in their care, they aren't a free medical service for christ's sake. I am embarrassed for this woman. She threw a temper tantrum when she was told (and kudos to them for saying so) she'd actually have to provide her own care for HER own animal. And then to throw a pity party to play on the public's emotions and try to make a fantastic organization look bad.....shameful. It's a 600 dollar surgery. Big deal, there will probably be more in the dog's future as it ages. Suck it up buttercup.

• lack of compassion
      February 09, 2014 - 11:06

I am embarrassed for you. I would love to hand the whole situation over to you and see how you deal with it. The dog is a mixed breed, so has little value, but a little over a month into it and this dog has cost close to $2000.00 and no guarentee that is where the medical amount stops, on top of grooming and special food. OPEN YOUR EYES...did you not see in the video how this dog is basking in the love it is receiving. You are a heartless person, and its because of you the saying was inspired "if you have nothing good to say, then dont say anything at all". Make a point yes, but the rantfull hurt was uncalled for.

• Chloe
      February 09, 2014 - 13:30

"lack of compassion"--this has nothing to do with what breed Holly is or how much she is loved (we all love our dogs by the way) and nobody is saying that little Holly shouldn't get proper care. This debate has cut to the quick of pet ownership and the responsibilities that come with it. The intentions of the Humane Society are to find good and safe homes for all their animals. Often before they can do that they must nurse the dogs and cats back to health because the poor creatures have either been found as strays, seized or surrendered in bad health. They are never put out for adoption before being given a general clean bill of health. They don't get advanced vet care there. It's a shelter. And the adoption fees reflect that reality. Mary's vet did not offer, could not offer, definitive proof that Holly's bladder problem had been going on for some time--he said , "might suggest". The HS is not in the business of covering the costs of potential genetic diseases. It is bad timing that Holly started being symptomatic so soon after arriving at her new home. However, this is not the Humane Society's responsibility...it is Mary's. She took this on when she agreed to adopt her dog. She did not adopt a sick dog. If she, or anyone else, wants to understand how things work in a shelter atmosphere just spend some time volunteering and you'll soon have an appreciation of how things go.

• Give me a break
    February 08, 2014 - 15:54

Come on lady, you took the dog and all it came with. The Humane Society struggles enough even coming in short of what they need to operate this year. It is an expense owing a dog, if you have one you should know it. Taking donations? Come on... be real... If you solicit money you should donate it to the Humane Society and Pay Your Own Bills like a big girl should. Stop acting like a little baby and own up to your responsibility.

• lack of compassion
      February 09, 2014 - 10:35

Its fine to make a point, but I think the inmature person here is you "give me a break"...you made your point, did you also have to demean yourself by calling the lady a baby. If you want to make a valid point, you lost it by adding your last sentenence.

• Lots of comments
    February 08, 2014 - 15:53

It seems to me most of these comments are most like associated with the humane society employees . The fact is if you paid 2000.00 for a purebred .obvious a mixed breed would not be suitable for you to adopted just an ordinary dog in need of a home , but rather a status symbol . A reputable breeder would usually give a 1 to 2 year health guarentee . I know breeders who would want to know if there are any defects and they would not breed the pair again .if the dog came in like that then it was discovered then humane society would point the finger at the other owner for neglect . There is nothing wrong with pee pads esp when a new dog adjusts to a new home there is a transition period I believe that is one of the recommendations for new adoptees and rehoming . As well it is very cold for dogs this winter . Esp small. Elderly dogs . These bladder stones are common trait to this breed . And I don't agree that Mary dicks requires a hand out . I think she is just making an awareness of what the humane society claims is not always correct . If the humane society puts the welfare of the dogs as they say and are charging a 300.00 adoption fee then they should make sure if there vet is knowledgeable that these stones for this type of dog is genetic . As far as I'm concerned the only animal welfare there is how they are going to keep their jobs by private donations . For their own welfare . In order for the protection of animals I think should be subsidizes under provincial . That way it is not a money grab it will genuinely be for the animals best interest . They cannot speak for themselves . I as well stopped supporting the humane society as well .

• Annoyed
    February 08, 2014 - 15:36

I'm reading this in disbelief.... Why get pets if you can't afford emergency care.... I'm a responsible dog owner who has paid thousands in vet bills,. They are the same as children we do what we need to do to keep them safe and healthy. I don't believe that the shelter should have to take the criticism , and sorry no I have never adopted a dog from the shelter, . My youngest had a bladder infection very serious one and it happened over night... Fine one moment , then an hour later..at the vets. I knew this getting dogs and have really no tolerance for this.... So maybe you should bring the dog back to the shelter and donate the money .... Or give it back ..one of our dogs is due for a teeth cleaning next month ..about 300. 00 and I have already budgeted for it and will do without a few extras to provide this..please read your story again and look at it from a responsible dog owners point of view..

• Once again PEI is on a rant
    February 08, 2014 - 15:07

Why do people have to read half the story and then rant. The lady was well aware that she may have to put money into her new dog at some point in its life. She did take it to a vet within the time the Humain Society allows for. There was a few issues and the dog was medicated for it. THIS IS THE POINT...at that time the fact that the dog had problems was established. Those vet visits cost her money. The adoption cost her money. She was willing to try to cover the cost of helping this dog as opposed to returning it. With some advice from friends she set up the site asking for donations. If no donations came in she was going to make it happen, but why should she be saddled with such a huge bill less than a month after adopting an animal that was "FACT" found to have issues within a week of adoption. Pull your horns in PEI, you all know you would feel the same, and you rant on her for having a voice. Pick another battle. Did you watch the video...did you see the obvious love this dog has for its owner...did you see how listless this dog looks, so sad ...its obivious in the video the dog is not feeling well. I live in Alberta, I make min wage here in a very high priced province, and I made a donation. I dont give a hoot about the humain society, if they help, if they were wrong or right, all I care about is this pup getting a second chance at a good life. This lady is on a limited income, I..the same as her ...would have never expected to be hit with a bill like this so new into the relationship. If she returned the dog, what would the Humain society done with it???? This I would like to know!!!!

• J Pit
    February 08, 2014 - 14:44

Most of you seem to have no idea. First of all the guardian of this dog was not looking for a handout. Second the so called 30 days pet insurance does NOT cover the surgery. Third the Human Society would kill the dog if the lady surrendered her back. Since a vet had already sent a letter and proof that this was a preexisting condition why should the Humane Society not a help with a part of the bill?? Have any of you ever taken a good look at their kill rates per year...available document online...I am happy someone suggested she set up a gofundme. Those who donated obviously can see or know the real story and have some common sense and compassion. Holly is in one great home and she will never want for anything. Those who put this lady down...take your blinders off ...take a good look around and open your hearts. You might see things in a clearer context! Holly will get her surgery no thanks to the PEI Humane Society. Good luck little one..some of us are wishing you a long beautiful life!!!

• Serious Reader
    February 08, 2014 - 13:56

I agree that if you wanted a warranty you should have gotten the one offered..otherwise suck it up and move on. There are few guarantees in life and this isn't one of them - what if you had a problem with your child/car/house/furnace/fridge etc....would you set up a "sob story" site and ask for donations to cover your "inconvenience"? Didn't think so.

• K
    February 08, 2014 - 13:25

When did owning an animal become a right and not a privilege? Did the new owner not understand the huge financial responsibility that comes along with owning a dog? Or was she only thinking about owning a cute companion… I'm sorry but this whole situation just sounds completely ignorant, and extremely selfish. Now because the dog has an issue which she did not prepare for, instead of doing the responsible thing and giving up the dog to a family who can afford the medical cost, she is going to bully the Humane Society for a free hand out? Where do you think that money is going to come from? It's an organization based on charity, not profit. It's not a business. Obviously the dog was not exhibiting any symptoms or the Humane Society would have addressed the health concern. When you rescue an animal you are assuming financial responsibility. If you cannot understand the gravity of this situation, adopting isn’t for you. And shame on the guardian for running a story like this. Do you realize it’s the animals in the care of the Humane Society, who will be affected in the future due to loss of funding provided by the public because of irresponsible journalism?

• aleisha
    February 08, 2014 - 11:59

I agree with the humane society on this one. They did a check up before Holly was adopted and its unfortunate that the blood in urine went unnoticed but im sure if they did notice then they would have treated her before adopting her out. When you adopt a pet then you need to know the possibilities they could get sick and be responsible for getting them help, dont adopt them if you cant afford vet care. Shame on this woman for trying to give the humane society bad publicity! Im sure the Humane society cares they do what they can with the funds they get. Im sure they wouldlove to be able to help more animals if they had the funds. I believe she took on adopting the dog she should pay for the surgery and donate the $800 to the humane society!

• Aleisha
    February 08, 2014 - 11:52

Of course they are trying to off load the animals because there is many animals that are abandoned that need someone to adopt them. I believe the humane society shares any history they know. I think its a wonderful thing to adopt a shelter animal and give them a second chance in life..sometimes that means expensive vet bills. The humane society is a shelter..housing these animals until someone comes along willing to take responsibility for that animals care. Whywhy why are so many islanders always looking for handouts? im embarrassed for this woman

• pei thoughts
    February 08, 2014 - 11:50

I feel for this woman but this is not the responsibility of the PEIHS. They do amazing work with the limited funding they have. I have bought a purebred dog from a breeder and 3 months later she needed a 2000.00 surgery. All of her bills were my responsibility the moment I took her home. If you want 100% guarantee of perfect health you should by a fish, they are good for 48 hours. Part of owning and caring for an animal is the unexpected bills that can come up. Good luck to Hollie and god bless the PEIHS for all their hard work.

• pei thoughts
    February 08, 2014 - 11:49

• Concerned
    February 08, 2014 - 11:33

I know someone that got a dog from the humane society and after roughly two weeks in their home started to show hip problems. After taking him go the vet their dog needs to have very expensive surgery. They then contacted the humane society to which they said the dog had no medical issues while in their care but after a second contact with humane society they had finally revealed the dog was hit by a car and this may be the cause of the hip problems. If I were to ever adopt , which I will not be as the humane society seems only to care about off loading their animals at any cost, I'd think they would want to share any information that could effect the animals health short or long term to the people who are wanting to adopt. Maybe SPCA should take a look into the PEI humane society's practices.

• Joe Boo
    February 08, 2014 - 11:31

Isn't this like looking a gift horse in the mouth? Lady, if you want a warranty, buy a toaster.

• Do you not see the BIG PICTURE
      February 08, 2014 - 13:18

she is making the point that the HS should have caught this and since they didn"t they should have been gracious enough to say SORRY and we will be glad to help with the Vet bills pertaining to this problem and she wasn't looking for a warranty...oh by the way she has a toaster

• Becky
    February 08, 2014 - 11:20

Give me a break. Don't adopt an animal unless u can afford vet bills. Stop looking for a handout

• Will Nott
    February 08, 2014 - 10:59

This is crazy everyone seems to want a free handout today. Iam sure the humane society would not have allowed the dog to be adopted had they known the animal was sick So now this lady needs a freebee, well the surgery costs 600 and 85 more for xrays she has now bled 800$ from peoples donations so get the dog operated on and move on lady. Is it any wonder legitimate not for profit charities are having a hard time raising money these days.

• Elaine Jay
    February 08, 2014 - 10:16

I know this lady, she got her other small dog from me, and this dog Holly was very lucky to be adopted into her home. She will give this dog a good life, here's hoping Holly recovers from the surgery and no more issues are found with her health so she can have a healthy happy life in this home.

• Elaine Jay
    February 08, 2014 - 10:15

• Dora
    February 08, 2014 - 10:09

They do not care...I called them the other day as there has been a cat outside my door for days....and we were to get some very cold temperatures and snow...They were very stony on the phone..They told me that they would not come out for a cat and I could get it myself and take it to them...Then she tells me that I have only 15 minutes to do so....They really do not care!!!

• Shelley
    February 08, 2014 - 09:38

I am disappointed with the PEI Humane Society on this case - the purpose of their adoptions is to ensure a pet is healthy when being adopted and if the pet is not healthy and has ongoing health issues, these are to be disclosed to the potential family and they can make a choice on to adopt or not. There is no possible way that they did not notice this blood in the urine as they do assessments on the pets prior to adoption. I am afraid now with this bad PR the Humane Society adoptions will decrease - poor decision on the Management of the PEI Humane Society. I know my donations which were designated to the Humane Society will not be going to the PEIHS as this is not an organization that I can support if this is how they want to treat a family who has spent the money to adopt the pet. Very poor decision PEIHS.

• Chloe
      February 08, 2014 - 13:19

If you're worried about bad PR then maybe you should think about what you post. This dog was healthy when it was in the care of the Humane Society. It was exercised outdoors, as dogs should be, rather than on pee pads which might have been why they never saw any blood. So of course there is a likelihood that this dog did not show any symptoms while at the PEI Humane Society. The woman knew she was getting a great healthy dog, but that like any adoption, there would always be risks. It seems to me that this person doesn't like the timing and found that when reading the fine print of her warranty, it didn't apply. That's the reality of dog ownership!! It can happen anytime to anyone, whether you get a dog from a registered breeder, off of kijiji or from the Humane Society. The letter her vet wrote used the words "might" and "suggest"--hardly definitive by any standard. For arguments sake, at what point does the Humane Society stop taking responsibility for their animals that left their care in a healthy state? One week? Two weeks? Never? Always? They have to have a policy or else they would be inundated with requests to 'fix' the dogs and cats that came from their care. It's a reality that the animals we love get sick just as we do and they don't come 100% satisfaction guarantee. That's why in the adoption process potential owners are asked what they would do 'when' their pets get sick...not 'if''.

• Not what it seems
      February 08, 2014 - 13:32

I think that instead of offering to take the dog back would it not make sense to give the lady her adoption fee back . Which is close to 300.00 As well do these animals not have 30 days of free health insurance which the urinary infection may have been discovered after the 30 days . And what were the the humane society going to do with the dog if it was returned would it have treatment ? What exactly does the animal welfare unit do at upei ? They get donations from people's estates as you sometimes see a announcement in the paper . I know I found a dog a few years ago . On the side of the road it was ovious a dump off situation . I called the control officer number and they said they had no room . The vet college would not keep the dog because it has to be owner surrender . The dog was dehydrated and in need of medical attention , both places refused and looked at me as if I should . I wasn't able to take him as I worked the next day . I ended up calling the police and they suggested the vet college take him until the humane society could . Which they did end up taking when the municipal police called the vet college on my behalf to get the dog medical attention . Actually the control officer said take him back where you found him . I wasn't going to because I had already knocked on all the doors in the road I found him and no one seen him before in the neighbor hood and I've had a friend find some puppies and they also refused to take because they not in their jurisdiction ? How humane is that ?