Eight-hour wait with drug addicted sister leaves P.E.I. woman frustrated

Teresa Wright

Wait times continue to be an issue at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital's emergency department.

Last Sunday, Tara Myers’ sister was finally ready to reach out for help with her drug addiction, but after waiting over eight hours in the emergency room, finally gave up and left.

Myers took her sister to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital emergency department in Charlottetown after being told on Friday there were no available beds for women at the detox facility in Mount Herbert.

When they called on Sunday, no one answered.

So they went to the ER and waited.

And waited.

After six hours, Myers went to speak with a man working the triage desk to find out how much longer it would be.

“He said he was going to go talk to the team leader and get back to me, and he never got back to me,” she said.

Another hour later, she checked again. Still no response.

Finally, exhausted and frustrated while suffering withdrawal symptoms with no end in sight, Myers’ sister finally decided to leave.

“I don’t blame her. Eight-and-a-half hours is a long time to try to sit and wait… if you’re coming off a drug it can be pure torture to sit there. Noises, lights, all that is just difficult.”

Myers’ sister is not alone. Many Islanders who try to access detox within a medical facility may find themselves with an even longer wait.

Pam Trainor, executive director of acute care and mental health and addictions for Health P.E.I., said Tuesday wait times for inpatient withdrawal management, or detox, has improved.

But patients seeking detox in the Mount Herbert addictions facility can still be forced to wait as long as 10 days.

It all depends on how sick the addicted person is when they reach out for help.

“If someone is seeking treatment and is determined to be very ill, then they would actually make some adjustments to their admissions and take that person in probably the next day,” Trainor said.

Patients are screened over the phone to determine whether they need immediate care.

“Not everyone needs inpatient withdrawal, some people do very well with outpatient withdrawal.”

Outpatient withdrawal means the addicted Islander detoxes on their own, in their own home, with the help of counsellors.

“That is available in five different locations across the province. They have a short wait time. It’s anything from one to three days,” Trainor said.

People are also told they can contact a counsellor or a self-help group such as Narcotics Anonymous or Alcoholics Anonymous, or to go to the emergency department if they are very ill.

If they end up in the ER, they are assessed and triaged, as any other patient would be according to the severity of their illness.

“We only have so many beds and we have to manage them and we have to triage them based on their needs for those inpatient beds, but, as I mentioned, there’s also outpatient detox which can be accessed very quickly,” Trainor said.

She stressed there have been ‘improvements and investments’ made to services as part of the province’s addictions action plan, announced last November with the release of the mental health and addictions review.

Myers said she knows the province has been working on the growing problem of addictions in P.E.I., but was frustrated at what she perceived as health workers who did not display any care about her sister’s attempt to access treatment.

She would like to see at least a separate waiting area in the hospital for addicted Islanders waiting for treatment.

“Even if you can keep them there overnight until you can get in touch with a family doctor or psychiatrist,” Myers said.

“If somebody is asking for help, you should be able to give it to them.”

twright@theguardian.pe.ca

Twitter.com/GuardianTeresa

Organizations: Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Alcoholics Anonymous

Geographic location: P.E.I., Charlottetown, Mount Herbert.When Mount Herbert

Comments

Comments

• It isnt numbers
    February 06, 2014 - 11:25

It has nothing to do with how many people are waiting. I went in with a suspected stroke to get a needle to lessen the damages that may have occurred, was told at a walk in clinic to tell them I had a stroke and would get right in. They advised someone would be with me soon. 11 Hours. Never got the needle as it was too late. Doctor was furious that it took too long and apologized and I told him the young lady I met in the lobby with her friend could go before me as she said she was allegedly raped that afternoon and was waiting for a doctor. She was there before me! There were 3 people there the entire time!

• Lyndon Dolman
    February 06, 2014 - 09:15

I've been there with my 6 yr old daughter and she was throwing up, waiting over 7 hrs and I was told she wouldn't get to see a Dr until 7 am as there wasn't one, NO DR IN ER, WTF!!! That would be another 4 hrs, so we left as she was extremely exhausted. And went to a drop in clinic to be told to take her to the hospital as she had a savior ear infection. Charlottetown ER absolutely sucks, the last time we went we waited 6 hrs and I was watching the staff looking at each others Facebook and joking around and texting, I'm talking alot not just for a minute or two. There lazy and I think its disgusting that this is happening, I blame bad management. Something should be done, if I need to go again to an ER it will be Summerside as they will see you out of the door within 2 hrs.

• Frustrated
    February 06, 2014 - 07:08

Our emergency rooms are a joke. If They don't care about the pregnant women, seniors, women men and children in their waiting rooms they're are not going to care about addict. I was 9 month pregnant with an extremely bad kidney infection and flu while being dehydrated , dry heaving having while having contractions and they still left me out there, 9 hours.. ( also as I may add I was in Montague ER the day before.. Was hardly looked at and given medication I didn't need that could have harmed my unborn baby ) when I fainted and was un responsive the lady beside ran too the triage was when they cared... 9 hours after i got there. how long would they have waited if that didnt happen? There was a man with a glass sticking out of his eye behind me who was there before I got there and wasn't taken in for a couple hours after I got there.Mean while there was poor young man, in the back of the room with his mother, shaking, moaning and crying holding on to her like he was 2 you could tell he was having an extremely hard time coming down, and his mother was holding him crying saying we'll get you away from this. We love you.. They were there before I got there and was still sitting there while I left. What's the most frustrating.. A child and his mother walked in.. he running around with a cough and runny nose playing and screaming while they waiting for 20 minutes, was called in.. Gone in 10. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE. Between the low income and poor jobs, to the sickening health care, I'm thinking about relocating.. And I love my home. Pitiful

• Big Bill
    February 05, 2014 - 19:03

Almond Shea, when you say a person chooses to become an addict just shows how uneducated you really are. You and many others are so uninformed that you think that people wake up one day and choose to become a junkie. Before you post another idiotic statement please learn a little about what you want to say. Your stupidity is breathtaking.

• Pastor Robert
    February 05, 2014 - 17:48

As a graduate of the Teen Challenge program and now someone whose life has been turned around, I have to say something. First, don't judge those who reach out. If society allows for it to happen then it is responsible for it. It is not uncommon for those in healthcare to look down on people with this problem. This is not the first time that I have heard of something like this happening and it will not be the last. If this person did not get the care they should have and they go out and O.D. yes they are accountable for it, but so are those who failed them. To all those who would speak against this person or any addicted people, I would say this: You have no idea what it is like. I would like to see one of the naysayers have someone they love reaching out for help and get shut down. Think on it. This person wanted help. Yes going through withdrawal can teach someone a lesson but more often than not they will go and score to get rid of symptoms that can last for days, even weeks. No, people who want help and want to change NEED to be given the CHANCE to prove themselves.

• Hope
      February 05, 2014 - 20:01

Congratulations on your recovery. You will give people a lot of hope. Take care. One day at a time.

• rediculous
    February 05, 2014 - 17:40

The wait time at the QEH is at very least PATHETIC! I waited 14.5 hrs sitting in that waiting room about a month ago, then another 1.5hrs once called in! Then at 4:30am had to drive home! Its completely and utterly a disgrace! And once you are called back all you can hear is people laughing and talking having a great old time. All sitting behind the big desk! Its a shame! And the addictions centre is basically the same! They have say 30 beds and at any given time only maybe 4 or 5 are being used!! They say "we dont have the staff to run it" its not a jail! Its not a daycare! Why do adults who are there of their own free will need more nurses then what there is in there now? Before the cuts, there should have been NO reason everyone of those beds could be used instead of the crazy wait times!

• finally
    February 05, 2014 - 15:50

There would not be wait times in emergency if people would actually use it for what it is for an"Emergency" Going to the hospital and sitting for hours for a cold or flu is just plain stupidity. Nothing can be done for either. They both are a virus, you have to let them run their course. Unless you are coughing up green phlegm or green snot or have aching in your ears stay in bed and sleep it off. Abdominal pain same thing, they are only going to ask when your last bowel movement was so if it has been a few days try going to the bathroom before sitting for hours complaining in emerg. There is no magic pill for cold or flu. Stay home, yoy are just infecting everyone else.

• upset
    February 05, 2014 - 14:35

Ms Shea, you obviously have never had a loved one who is an addict whether its alcohol or drugs or gambling. They are diseases. Diseases can be treated but it is a long road. The system at Mt Herbert for drug and alcohol is appauling. Not the workers there as they're just doing their job. Noone should have to wait when they've finally made the decision to get help there should be an open door ready and waiting and keep them in treatment for more than 5-7 days. Sending them back out into their community where they have to walk by a liquor store or their drug supplier is too much of a tempation in that short of time. Recovery is definately not 5-7 days. Your comments truly upset me, if you don't know what you're talking about then your comments are not appreciated by families who struggle to cope with addicts. Its not just the person that is affected its everyone around them.. Enough with studies and letting RN's go from their jobs, government has a responsibility to these people. What are they doing with the taxes they get from the sales of alcohol and gambling machines. But thats a whole other issue.

• Almond Shea
    February 05, 2014 - 13:31

When a person choses to become an addict…where is it written that our healthcare system should be at their beck & call? A person makes the choice…in the beginning…to try drugs…and this day & age…knowing full well he or she will end up addicted. Yet expects to be nursed back to health. I'm sorry, but my sympathies like with a sick child, a person who is truly sick….and not with a self inflicted disease. Yes…drugs, alcohol, gambling…are diseases….but they are self inflicted. In my book, addicts are low on the totem pole for medical treatment. And when doctors prescribe narcotics…most patients are astutely aware there will be withdrawals…and it should be done slowly.

• Shut the comment section down
      February 05, 2014 - 14:00

We might as well shut the comment section down. Here is Dr. Shea, esteemed addictions researcher, with all the answers based on her own books that no other expert has access to. What a well-kept secret! In her book "addicts are low on the totem pole for medical treatment". Perhaps Dr. Shea, you will be so kind as to point me in the right direction. I would like to read your research so that I can learn more about this new revelation because it goes against what every other addictions researcher thinks. Thank you.

• ThinkAboutIt
      February 05, 2014 - 14:04

So people with Type2 diabetes, which is often a result of life-style choices, should be low on the totem pole too? The same with lung cancer patients caused by smoking and those with heart disease caused by their lifestyle? What about those overweight people whose health has been ruined by their overeating... should they be low on the list too? What about the people who became addicted because of their own doctor's lack of attention and monitoring of their situation... are they on the low list too? I have a friend who recently went to the QEH with shingles - he was prescribed 60 percocet. What if he becomes addicted under the watch of the QEH doctors? Where does he go? You say your sympathies lie with a sick child... well, wake up for heavens sake... there are many, many, many addicted children in Charlottetown and across PEI. Does it matter how a child became addicted? Should addicted children be left to just spiral out of control and ultimately die? So the entire family has to suffer endlessly because a child made a terribly wrong decision without any assistance? So we should become a society where your medical attention is based on triaging your life choices? Well, you know what... perhaps every single cigarette smoker - past or present - should be denied medical attention. Wouldn't that free up a lot of spaces in the emergency room... and then they could go after those that don't eat healthy foods or those that don't exercise enough. Your lack of compassion and lack of understanding about addiction is frightening.

• My thoughts
      February 05, 2014 - 16:20

Almond Shea you NAILED IT...ER is no place for an addict who has decided they want to get better TODAY...ER is just that an Emergency Room for something that CANNOT WAIT TO BE ATTENDED TO. Yep, Addiction is a disease and as Ms. Shea has pointed out, an addiction that 9/10 of the time is self-inflicted but many choose to blame the doctors or the government. Also, why shouldn't an addict have to wait 8 hrs if this is the normal wait time for non-urgent clients/patients??? I seriously hope some of you don't think that because she decided she wanted help at this very time that she should jump the line over a child with the croup or high temp or others who have been waiting. This is the whole reason of be "Triaged" is to determine who is more serious to been seen. Just my thoughts and YES before some of you jump down my throat there is addicts in my family and in all 3 situations, it was THEIR CHOICE, nobody else is to blame!

• candrayo
      February 05, 2014 - 17:08

Almond Shea…… know that most addicts are just sick children running around in adult bodies. Judging by your own statement, I am reminded that not all people are educated or experienced, but that doesn't stop them from voicing from a high perch of "knowing" better. I forgive your ignorance, for you know not what you speak of!

• Response to my thoughts
      February 05, 2014 - 17:54

Just because you have three addicts in your family doesn't mean you are an expert. What you said confirms that you actually know very little and I feel very sorry for your loved ones battling this disease if you are someone they have to deal with. Would you consider yourself a cancer expert if you had three loved ones with cancer. I think not!

• Gone West
    February 05, 2014 - 12:34

The ability to access mental health services on the Island is pathetic. If you live in rural PEI, forget it! Anyone waiting 8 hours to see a physician is ridiculous. What about having a mental health crisis on call team in ER like we do in Alberta so those patients get the help they need and information about accessing resources in the community? The demise of healthcare on PEI is alarming and closing rural hospitals without proper services in place for all Islanders to access or a hospital without enough staff to properly function was idiotic.

• Joe Blow
    February 05, 2014 - 11:30

Anything more than a couple of hours in the waiting room is a joke!!! Us Canadians as tax payers are paying for our healthcare and we deserve better than a 8-15 hour wait! The money is being spent in the wrong places if you ask me. There is no reason for a person to be forced to sit there in a waiting room for that long. People sit in the waiting room that long and all the Doctor is going to do in most cases is just write you some prescription for drugs you don't need. It might be worth the wait if we get the good quality care we deserve and pay for...but in a lot of cases, we aren't getting good care in return for our long wait.

• Beliefs and opinions
    February 05, 2014 - 11:17

Beliefs and opinions have no place in the treatment of disease. I do not pay any attention to the people who comment to the contrary. Their attitudes are based on opinions and beliefs - not facts. This is a very serious issue and I go by the experts and the evidence they present. It is a known fact that medical professionals discriminate against addicts and it is a major barrier to their getting the right treatment at the right time. A few years ago, Dr. Matthew B. Stanbrook wrote an editorial in The Canadian Medical Association Journal about the disease of addiction and his concerns with how addicts are treated among his peers. In the article he stated "Health professionals too often think and behave negatively toward addicts and addiction. In this, we share the attitudes of our society, in which substance abuse is one of the last remaining socially acceptable targets for public discrimination. But we ought to know better. If we are to succeed in treating addiction as a disease — which it is — we need to acknowledge and overcome our negative attitudes so that we can help patients with addiction and guide how the public perceives them. Misconceptions, stigma and ignorance about those who suffer from addiction are widespread." We see the stigma in all its glory in this article, and in many of the comments. We have to do better. Don’t wait until your loved one is affected before learning about this. No one is immune.

• Loni
    February 05, 2014 - 10:53

FIRST of all That stuff about making exceptions for people who are sicker isnt true ! I am a recovering addict and I had been to that place 13 times and there is no exception like that . If you call and there isnt a bed it doesnt matter how sick you are they just tell you to go to the hospital where you are treated horribly because you are an addict . I have been there and done all of it , over and over again . I am so sick of them making themselves look good when in all reality that place is a joke . It never helped me . I found the strength to do it without any of them . I have a year and 4 months in and I don't agree at all with the way things are being run there. a week for detox is unacceptable , People leave there and then within a couple days are sick again . They need to have a bigger place where people can stay longer and they should be doing 1 on 1 care with each patient in there helping them deal with the reasons they used in the first place , teaching them coping skills instead of sending them out the door when the detox part isnt even half done . It took me a year to fully feel like my mind was clear . I am everyday learning new ways to help me cope with the reason I used in the first place . These people get sent out the door in the same shoes they went there in . With no clue how to face the same world they just left without using again . They say they have all these things in place to help people. . Then why is there so many Suicides ?

• Shouldn't have even made the paper
    February 05, 2014 - 10:27

I think an 8 hour wait could be compare able to a 14 - 17 hour wait in Toronto . Pts are triaged if they not an emergency they wait . Of course there is most likely reduced staff which should have coincided with the recent drug raids because the town is probably scarce of drugs . It not that I don't have compassion or empathy for addicts I'm sure it is quite uncomfortable to experiance withdrawal . But not an emergency if triaged as stable . Compared to other events that go on in emergency . In fact maybe withdrawal is therapeutic enough to maybe want to not partake in the usage . The qeh is not a crack house . There are accidents , stokes , people actively dying etc . Transfusions etc The general population does not realize what is going on behind the scenes . Withdrawal is uncomfortable and can be serious but at the same time if triaged you wait like any one else . That why it's called emergency . These medical professionals do this work for a living and I think they are educated and aware of what contitutes an emergency or not . They have to prior ize . I don't see an 8 hour wait unreasonable for what may be the case load which should not have to be explained to people sitting in the waiting room . If it was an emergency I'm sure it would be a less of a wait .

• BeenThere-DoneThat
      February 05, 2014 - 11:42

Oh, come on... the emergency room is full of people with common colds that get in faster than that. If Doug Currie would hire enough doctors for people to have a family doctor, it would cut down on the emergency room visits. An addict in withdrawal is very succeptible to death from dehydration. Every bit of medical information on the subject suggests that you do not withdraw from certain opiates unless you are under medical supervision. The recent drug raids put people in desparate situations and Currie should have been prepared with additional beds at Mt. Herbert, more support staff and additional staff at the QEH. What in the heck did he think was going to happen when $400k of drugs was removed from the streets? He simply does not care. It makes no matter how you became an addict, the provincial government is hoping that you just silently go away and stop bothering them. There is treatment for withdrawal and Doug Currie is denying people the right to access it. How do you get it? You can't get into Mt. Herbert, you can't get seen at Emergency (even if you wait it out) and you can't get it from your family doctor. Tara's sister made a great choice.. not to use and look how she was treated!

• really??
      February 05, 2014 - 14:43

People can actually die from withdrawls from alcohol and other hard drugs.. And if a drug addict is actually making the choice to seek help then it should be available to them sooner rather than later.. because if it is later it may be enough time for them to choose to use again.. and they may not ever make the choice to get clean again..

• Stew
    February 05, 2014 - 10:24

Awful. What a depressing mess this province is in. The emergency room is not the place to go, but there are not enough addiction treatment beds. Well liberal government, it's time to increase resources (beds, staff) dedicated solely to the treatment of addicts who want help. Cut back on corporate handouts, silly tourism spending, and other such nonsense and deal with this crisis.

• frustrated
    February 05, 2014 - 09:44

The service is not just bad for addicts. Remember a few years ago, the woman who miscarried in their waiting room? I was taken in by ambulance with a heart rate in the high 200's, after passing out in a public place. I waited in back of ER in a bed for over 3 hours before anyone checked on me or hooked me up to a heart monitor. It scared the life out of me, and I'm thankful I lived to complain about it

• Ignorance at it's finest
    February 05, 2014 - 09:36

To those who comment and say that these people don't deserve to be seen before someone with a migraine, or a sick child. THIS IS SOMEONE'S SICK CHILD. A person who is addicted to drugs doesn't wake up and think to themselves "I think I'll be a drug addict - that sounds FUN" - people develop addictions because of underlying issues. Mental illness, what have you. Addiction is a disease. Throwing the all mighty methadone on the table isn't going to fix this, just send them on a further path of destruction because they aren't getting the medical and psychiatric attention they require to make it work effectively. Sad situation and prayers for strength to this family and others who are fighting with addictions.

• candrayo
      February 05, 2014 - 10:24

WELL SAID!!!!!! It is this ignorance that allows Ghiz to get away with what he does and the same goes for the rest of his "kind"

• poor decisions
      February 05, 2014 - 10:44

Poor decision making does not constitute an emergency. Sorry!

• If not an emergency...
      February 05, 2014 - 11:30

@ poor decisions - it may not be deemed an emergency. I agree that selecting drugs as a coping mechanism is poor decision making. Don't get me wrong there - BUT the fact that they had to sit there for 8 hours and were not given an alternative recommendation is outrageous. Drugs are destroying this province and this article is clearly stating that they were seeking help. Compassion goes a long way. If they weren't in the right place to get her helped - where does one go???

• poor decisions
      February 05, 2014 - 12:17

Go to the ER if you must but complaining about waiting 8 hours (like every one else there) isn't going to get a lot of sympathy and make it difficult to feel sorry for this person.

• to "poor decisions"
      February 05, 2014 - 13:26

So, let me get this straight. According to you, "Poor decision making does not constitute an emergency." With that in mind, car accidents, sports injuries, and other things would not constitute an emergency? After all, we know there are risks with driving vehicles and we know there are risks with sports but we make the choice to do them anyway. Where do we draw the line then? There are a lot of cases where choice come into play and the people who make the decisions do not even have a recognized disease. Should we not treat them?

• Islander
    February 05, 2014 - 08:53

I don't mean to sound disrespectful or rude but the ER is a triage. The sickest get helped first. Perhaps she was not the most sick. Also, if she really wants help, an 8 hour wait in the ER is just the beginning. I am a recovered addict so I know what the withdrawals are like and how hard it is to get clean. Frankly, I am sick of everyone pointing fingers at our healthcare and addictions team. They do the best they can with what they are given. If you get into Mt Herbert and they put the effort into helping you and a few days in you decide to leave, there is nothing they can do. Off you go. A waste of our tax money on someone who isn't committed to getting clean. So, again, the 8 hour wait is just the beginning. Good luck to you. I truely hope you find the help you need and have the willpower to get through it.

• candrayo
    February 05, 2014 - 08:53

Even during my "psychosis" last year, I knew to hightail it to a Nova Scotia Hospital for assistance, not here. Somethings are never forgotten, even when experiencing a break from reality. Reality on the Island is our HEALTH CARE SUCKS! But government is not the only reason our health care system sucks…even I have to admit that. EVERYONE is responsible for the state of affairs our system is in!

• fed up
    February 05, 2014 - 08:51

So did she give up and use? She will have to make the choice what to do. There is no easy way out . She has to suffer to get free of drugs .

• gb
    February 05, 2014 - 08:47

Not that they don't deserve any treatment and there should be way more room at the hospital for patients, but maybe the beds are so few that they must be reserved for people who didn't choose to take drugs and create their own medical emergency

• GetReal
      February 05, 2014 - 09:08

How do you know that her addiction was not caused by a doctor's over prescription of a painkiller for another problem? Even when doctors get their own patients addicted, they pass the addiction problem off onto someone else to solve. That's a big part of the problem. Everyone wants to pass the buck! Do lung cancer patients, who smoke, get treated like that? Not on your life!

• candrayo
      February 05, 2014 - 09:26

Food addicted people who suffer problems from overeating/unhealthy eating…..shouldn't they then be turned away based on your logic? Food is a choice…like Drugs are a choice…where is the line?

• Disturbed
    February 05, 2014 - 08:31

This story really upsets me. I don't know much about addiction, but if someone is reaching out for help, why can't we have the resources to help them? The stories I've heard in the media re kids who finally, after doing all kinds of things to their bodies and to their families in order to feed the addition, decide they want to change, and then are forced to wait long times for treatment, are truly heartbreaking. They go back to the drugs, or harm themselves because they don't see help coming and can't face going on with life as they know it. Please, Mr. Currie: you spent a lot of your career in the education system - you know this happens to kids of all socio-economic backgrounds, and you are in a position to help. Please put the resources in place to make help available to these people.

• don
    February 05, 2014 - 08:24

Tara Myer you must be wrong on the time. you were at the greatest hospital in the world they never make a person wait. but ghiz will tell you the qeh is the best. but they even send children home with major health trouble. i bet the team leader was on there break that starts at the beginning of the shift and ends at the time to go home. i'll tell you this if i needed to go to a hospital and i was in front of the qeh i would tell ems to take me anyplace but the qeh even take me to the avc be better there. and after all the billions spent on the qeh they need to spend it on pink slips starting at the head boss. but i'm sure if you had a important name you would get into detox asap the rest of islanders must wait. and to think ghiz says he is improving health care. can anyone tell me where is it?

• BEEN THERE
      February 05, 2014 - 10:52

Don been there done that, yes a name means a lot or the money behind the name . I have had to wait 8 +, we should have a place for everyone . White english persons , pregnant persons , young and old , YES" QEH" OLD PEOPLE , we are not all DNR as you see us when we turn 60 . Ghiz you need someone close to you get really sick and be where no one knows you , to feel what the average person feels and how we react . I wish no ill on anyone but I'm tired and sick of living in a 4th , world place .With NO IMPROVEMENT IN OUR SISTOM . YES YOU GRAMER SEEKERS THERE IS MISTAKES BUT I HOPE THE POINT GETTS ACROSS.

• Annie
    February 05, 2014 - 08:09

I'm sorry but there is no way a drug addict should go before a sick baby, a person with chest pain, a person with a migraine or someone who is suffering through no fault of their own. Wait like everyone else!

• bill
    February 05, 2014 - 07:39

The cons of free health care. If you were a potential profit, the wait would have been all of 10 minutes.

• THINK THINK THINK
      February 05, 2014 - 12:24

Way to go, Bill. We should give-up this free health care and grab what they have in the States. There, if she couldn't afford to pay, they would have just refused her completely. The same for everybody else who shows up at outpatients and can't pay. A much better system for sure.

• Parent-of-addicted-teen
    February 05, 2014 - 07:23

If Tara's sister had seen any one at emergency, they would do nothing more than send you home. I have taken my 16 year old, extremely addicted to a high dose of hydromorphone, who could not get a bed in detox (even though there were 2 youth beds empty at the time), to emergency as I have no experience whatsoever with opiates nor withdrawal, and the treatment that he experienced was nothing less than shocking. He did get to see a doctor who refused to do a single thing. He checked his nose to see if his septum was burned through.. that is the only thing he did and made a lot of extremely rude and disrepectful remarks... and the emergency room was not the slightest bit busy that day. Everything I read about withdrawal from this drug says that it should take place under medical supervision. Tara, please contact Dr. Peter Hooley or one of the doctors at the Murphy's medical center. They will help. Doug Currie's Health Dept, the emergency room and your family doctor will not help you. They simply do not care. The fact that Robert Ghiz did not ensure that extra resources were available after the drug raid, speaks volumes. Oh, that and the fact that he and his "delegation" are in Toyko and quite frankly could not give a damn because they are "drumming up new trade"... what a crock!

• Agree with Parent
      February 05, 2014 - 09:06

In total agreement with Parent of addicted. The way this ridiculous government prioritizes spending is bizaare as health, both mental and physical and addiction treatments take a back seat to mystifying spending on projects like the Borden hills $millions, $20million dumb and bumpy plan B, $30million lost loan to Homburg, Tokyo trips, millions to Convention Center, etc. The elitist fraud scheme known as PNP benefitted no one poor or middle class, let alone addicted citizens. Meantime, Ghiz gov't added a measly $1.2 million to deal with prescription drug addition and they appointed a specialist to come up with a long-term strategy to improve mental health and addictions services. Where did that go, where is the specialist and what are they doing about these issues that affect everyone? What a crock is right!

February 05, 2014 - 14:53

It is true that at the emergency room they barely help addicts at all and are very rude, but I would not go as far as saying your family doctor won't help you because it is simply not true.. it all just depends who your family doctor is.. Being an addict myself I tried detox many times and always went back to using, I finally went to my family doctor for help and he saved my life. I was put on methadone for 6 months and then switched over to suboxone which I am still currently on and have been clean for months now! :)

• To 1 2 3 4
      February 05, 2014 - 15:19

Would it make a difference who your doctor was if you had any other illness? No, it wouldn't. If the illness was outside of your doctor's area, he/she would send you to the expert where you would receive wonderful treatment. This is not the case with addiction. I am happy that you had a doctor with a license to prescribe the medications but not every doctor does. Congratulations on your recovery! That is wonderful.