Disturbance at soup kitchen lands man suspended sentence

A Charlottetown man who was found guilty of causing a disturbance at a Charlottetown soup kitchen was given a suspended sentence Monday in provincial court.

A Charlottetown man who was found guilty of causing a disturbance at a Charlottetown soup kitchen was given a suspended sentence Monday in provincial court, but not before causing a minor disturbance there too.

Gordon Douglas Campbell, 53, appeared before Chief Judge John Douglas in Charlottetown for sentencing.

Before hearing his sentence, Campbell addressed the court to talk about his past run-ins with the law and assault charges he has faced, which he called bogus. The normally soft-spoken Douglas repeatedly tried to speak over Campbell before finally raising his voice and telling him he wasn’t being respectful of the court.

Campbell was still talking as Douglas handed down the suspended sentence and one year of probation.

After hearing his sentence, Campbell asked if he could say something else, to which Douglas responded no.

“I think I’ve heard enough,” Douglas said.

Campbell is also banned from going within 100 metres of the Upper Room where the disturbance happened.

Geographic location: Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• SORRY
    January 29, 2014 - 10:03

Maybe Mr C could eat at my place -- as long as no "disturbance" erupts from out of the blue. Then my donation money to the soup-kit could stay here for him instead of over there where Mr C is not welcome!

• Gary W.
    January 29, 2014 - 07:54

From the sound of some of these comments it's fairly obvious that none of you actually needs to eat at the Upper Room. This man, and many others, need medical and psychological help that we don't provide. Remember - "there but for the Grace of God go I". Drop in to the Upper Room - the "Food Kitchen", then you'll know what you are talking about, hypocrites.

• B
    January 28, 2014 - 20:45

If you want to eat you shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you.

• fed up
    January 28, 2014 - 15:37

What is he supposed to eat ? That is a unfair sentence and should be appealed.

• Bigbubba
      January 28, 2014 - 19:31

Maybe he should eat his words!

• SORRY
      January 28, 2014 - 20:41

Wonder if Mr. Campbell likes cake?

• Gordon Campbell
      March 18, 2014 - 17:42

If anyone would like the REAL STORY...Has more evidence of discrimination...or can offer any assistance Legal or otherwise : soupy730@gmail.com My great great grandfather was the first chief justice of PEI...My family has had three provincial premiers... Read "Laird of the West" & see that I am 'cut from the same cloth' - proud and outspoken against CORRUPTION...I assure you I am the victim because I challenge their incompetence corruption and hypocracy...they WILL have their "t's" crossed and their "i's" dotted sufficiently the next time they wrongly accuse me !