P.E.I. man sentenced to one year in jail for sexual offences

Prince Edward Island provincial court

A 51-year-old Charlottetown man was sentenced Tuesday in provincial court to serve one year in the provincial correctional centre on each of five sexual offences involving persons under the age of 18.

The sentence was imposed in the case of  Gary Thomas Livingstone.

Livingstone had pleaded guilty to invitation to sexual touching, sexual exploitation, luring a child and procuring a child.

Chief Provincial Court Judge John Douglas said the long-term effects of Livingstone’s actions on the victims were among his considerations in imposing sentence.

Defence Counsel Thane MacEachern said Livingstone is remorseful for his actions. He had no prior criminal record.

He accepted responsibility for his actions.

MacEachern agreed one-year concurrent sentences on all five counts were appropriate.

He also said Livingstone plans to relocate to Alberta upon release.

Livingstone apologized in court to his victims.

In addition to the time he will spend in custody he will spend 30 months on probation.

He must undergo assessment, counseling and treatment for underlying issues including sexual deviancy and mental health issues.

He is not allowed to have contact with the victims.

He is also not allowed to have contact with persons under 18 unless a responsible adult is present.

Douglas also ordered Livingstone to provide a sample of his DNA for the national DNA databank.

Victims of crime surcharges were also imposed.

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Alberta

Comments

Comments

• wow
    January 24, 2014 - 10:38

I cant believe that he only got a year and it says on the that garry apoligized to his victims in court?? WRONG he has never and i can bet my life on the line that he never will he is a pedo at heart and always will and he has had no prior charges that right because he was never caught hes playing off the excuse that he has a liquor problem and because he was molested as a child it made him molest a child to.. HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE! If he was molested as a 16 year old kid that should make him not ever want to put someone else through the mental pain ! I feel sorry for The Victims and garrys kids but i have no respect for Garry he will get whats coming to him in jail!

• Questions
    January 22, 2014 - 11:35

Where's the rest of the story?? It's not like the Guardian to miss much. CBC has a much better story. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/sex-crimes-against-teenagers-earn-1-year-sentence-1.2505318

• what do I know
    January 22, 2014 - 09:34

Well, I understand the young mans plight in the days ahead and the violation that took place. I do not understand why this man chose to do what he did. If you know him it is so out of character . I just want to mention there is more then one victim .the other victims in this terrible situation is his family and friends. The shame, disappointment and stress this is causing them. Can you imagine being blindsided by all this from someone you love. Please keep in mind your comments not only affect the perpetrator and victims and his family., but more innocent people. I wonder if one would be so quick to judge if it were your brother, father or friend... think about it...

• Been There
    January 22, 2014 - 08:18

Wow. One year. And he plans to relocate to Alberta....seems to be the location of choice for pedophiles after their release. Probably because they figure they can hide out there. One year. I am sure he is "sorry". They are ALWAYS sorry when they get CAUGHT. And I would like to point out that the fact he has no prior criminal record just means that he never CAUGHT before. Worse that that, one year means he is out in nine months on statutory release. Wow.

• Please be advised
    January 22, 2014 - 06:17

The news is saying Judge Douglas gave the pervert this sentence due to the effect it will have on the victims...that needs to be corrected. .he received that sentence because Ottawa decided just recently that that will be the lowest sentence a sex offender will receive a measly Minimum of One year .

• observer
    January 21, 2014 - 21:28

I can't believe the judge did not apologize to criminal for sending him to jail!

• fellowislander
    January 21, 2014 - 20:32

PEI is a joke when it comes to "punishing" these scumbags! I'm surprised they exceeded the usual 3 month slap on the wrist this time. and the judge saying he took into consideration of how this will impact the children? are you kidding me? he must not have thought they'd be too badly affected. Sure hope they can get over it in a year since that's what the good ol' PEI justice system just sold their innocence for

• Carla
    January 21, 2014 - 20:06

Pretty sad justice system we have on PEI when people have gotten longer sentences for theft / break enters etc... Then for abusing a child or in this case a few victims one year concurrent not even for each offence that was charged.... The lasting terrible effect that these victims will have to live with the emotional scars for life and this man gets away with a slap on the wrist that sends a message that PEI justice is soft on sexual predators!!! Way to go Douglas!!

• mrhyde
    January 21, 2014 - 16:17

Well I always said if you want to get away with anything come to PEI!! A slap on the wrist is basically what he got. The victims have a lifetime to live with this and he gets a year. I have the misfortune of being related to this scum. He has never been family in my eyes and now I understand why! God forgive you Mr. Douglas, because you have just given a predator a free ride to do this again in another province!!

• Al
      January 21, 2014 - 20:32

100% agreed with you mrhyde :)

• Sickened
    January 21, 2014 - 14:00

Judge Douglas sure is one soft judge. Sickens me to see him hand out the min -mandatory sentence. Shame on Mr Livingstone. I hope that where ever he moves the Province knows they are getting a sexual deviant predator . Prayers to victims and family. I hope they can move forward in there lives and know it was not there fault.

• Horsecaller
      January 21, 2014 - 14:47

I totally agree with sickened and SHAME ON DOUGLAS. It makes you wonder doesn't it?

• Horsecaller