Prince Charles and Camilla to visit Prince Edward Island

Teresa Wright

Britain's Prince Charles along with his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, will visit Prince Edward Island in May.

Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall to undertake a Royal Tour of Canada in May

Prince Edward Island will once again play host to the royal family – an announcement that has P.E.I. officials buzzing with excitement.

Britain's Prince Charles along with his wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall will visit P.E.I. in May.

Gov.-Gen. David Johnston announced the couple's upcoming royal tour of Canada Thursday in Ottawa.

P.E.I. Premier Robert Ghiz was more than pleased to hear of the upcoming royal visit.

“To have the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall visit our province this year, during the 150th anniversary of the meeting of the Fathers of Confederation, is a true honour,” Ghiz said in a statement.

“It was a pleasure for our province to host the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge during the last royal visit in 2011, and we look forward to the opportunity to once again host members of the royal family in our beautiful province.”

Prince William and his wife Kate stopped in Prince Edward Island as part of the then-newlywed couple’s Canadian tour in 2011.

The visit put P.E.I. in the international spotlight during the two-day whirlwind event that saw William pilot a Sea King helicopter in a water bird training exercise on Dalvay Lake, race against his wife in a dragon boat and speak to some 20,000 gathered outside Province House, among a number of public appearances.

Thousands of Islanders flocked to every one, hoping to catch a glimpse of, arguably, the world’s most famous couple.

P.E.I. Lt. Governor Frank Lewis said he believes Islanders will be just as excited to welcome Charles and Camilla to Prince Edward Island this year.

“Prince Charles has not been here since 1983 so I’m sure that there will be a huge crowd that want to see him while they’re here.”

The itinerary for the royal visit to P.E.I. this spring is said to be months from being finalized, but that isn’t stopping anyone from getting excited.

Lewis said he believes their visit is especially opportune as P.E.I. celebrates the anniversary of the Charlottetown Conference – a week of meetings that led to the eventual formation of Canada.

“We have a lot to offer here in terms of the beauty of our province and I think that it’s just all part of the 2014 celebration and it will be just wonderful to have them here.

He also noted the last time Prince Charles visited P.E.I. with his first wife, Diana, he was a new father to a 12-month-old Prince William. On this occasion he will be a new grandfather to a 10-month-old Prince George.

This will be the Duchess of Cornwall’s first visit to Prince Edward Island.

“We are ecstatic that Prince Charles and Camilla are coming to Charlottetown during the 2014 anniversary year,” said Charlottetown Mayor Clifford Lee.

“The 2014 celebrations of the 150th anniversary of the Charlottetown Conference will be a wonderful year of celebrations in so many ways, the royal visit only adds to the festivities.”

Even the prime minister released a statement Thursday welcoming the news.

“I am pleased that their royal highnesses will be joining us in a few months time as Canada enters a five-year period of significant national celebrations, beginning with the centennial of the outbreak of the Great War and the 150th anniversary of the Charlottetown and Québec City Conferences, which led to the creation of the Dominion of Canada,” Prime Minister Stephen Harper said.

“Canadians look forward to having their royal highnesses with us for these and other important moments in the history of our country.”

The royal tour will be co-ordinated by the Canadian secretary to the Queen, Kevin MacLeod, with a detailed programme to be released at a later date.

The tour will also include stops in Manitoba and Nova Scotia.

Prince Charles and Camilla were last in Canada in May 2012, when they visited New Brunswick, Ontario and Saskatchewan.

twright@theguardian.pe.ca

Twitter.com/GuardianTeresa

Organizations: Royal Tour of Canada

Geographic location: Prince Edward Island, Canada, OTTAWA Manitoba Nova Scotia

Comments

Comments

• Islander
    January 17, 2014 - 08:18

I agree 100% with you Jon but let each and everyone complain it must be nice to only have this to worry about in life. As for Prince Charles he deserves to be our next king if people agree or not as his whole life has prepared him for this and he will make as good a King as his mother is a Queen.

• candrayo
      January 17, 2014 - 18:29

Did you ever consider Prince Charles may prefer to NOT wear the crown…Diana was his wife after all..she was bound to show him something about being true to who you are and matters of the heart matter most not to mention the passion she had for the children…for CHILDREN are our FUTURE!!!….IMO…we have to step out of the "past" mentality..and step into the mentality that works for ALL citizens of this Island…why is this so hard to see I ask myself constantly these days…..? Parents need to wake up…I am asking most warmly and full of good intent! Diana woke up….and it cost her her life….does that not cause you to pause and think more about Charles and the Monarchy????

• candrayo
    January 16, 2014 - 22:42

Where are my manners in my last post…..and the same potential that is there for our QUEEN as well!!! I guess I am just used to the mentality that the male should take all the glory and we women take all else! Tides are changing…I know this is not true for all…but it is true for the majority of women and men! We are all born of this land…just like this King and his chosen love!

• candrayo
    January 16, 2014 - 22:38

If only Diana were alive…thank goodness her sons are the future…and Kate is an amazing woman to watch bloom into the Queen we need! Not to mention the King we already know we have on the horizon! If only we could see that same potential in our youth….and help cultivate that…because do not be fooled…our youth have the same potential as our future King!

• jjag
    January 16, 2014 - 22:25

who is paying for all this celebrations??? one thing for sure its not the high mocky mocks attending . the money that will be spent should be re-routed to the people that needs it the most .

• Jon
    January 16, 2014 - 22:24

Oh God, are uninformed people going to start this worn out "cost" crying again! The Queen is 87 and works long hard hours, Prince Charles is a senior and as hard working as he is , has still not started his full time job ! I pay for schools but have no children, I pay for abortions but have never had one, I pay for alcohol and drug abuse centers but have never needed them, I pay for social assistance programs and thankfully have never needed the use of them. So if a few of my tax dollars goes into supporting my royal family, whom I admire for their dedication to their work, so be it..let me enjoy every minute of their visit. Some, if not most of our members of parliament could take a lesson from the royals in their dedication to their job . And by the way, they have been invited by the federal and provincial governments to visit...they just didn't decide on their own to visit. And for you who cry the loudest about "the cost", look up how many millions of dollars Prince Charles raises for charity each year.

• jjag
    January 16, 2014 - 22:23

• Mell
    January 16, 2014 - 17:13

Good for PEI to get this publicity to attract more folks to the island, but as far as I am concerned, the so-called royals are not high on my agenda as they are living off the people and have for years. PEI is beautiful and stands on its own!

• sarah
    January 16, 2014 - 12:30

They are just people like you and I no better or worse. They should be treated like anyone else. In the site of the Lord a poor begger child is worth more than these two.

• Royal Welfare
    January 16, 2014 - 12:07

who really cares

• Royal Welfare
    January 16, 2014 - 12:06

who really cares

• don
    January 16, 2014 - 10:48

how many millions is wes going to spend on this crap? if it the son or the queen it would be worth it but chuck not worth it. God save the queen. that saying God save the king i hope will never be.

• Jake
      January 16, 2014 - 14:53

So............the "Freeloaders" are going to grace their presence. With their wealth we as Canadians still have to send a Canadian military aircraft to pick them up and take them back home and pay for all the security requirements, hotels, meals, gifts..etc. etc. About time Charles you took out your own credit card and pay your way for once in your lifetime. Next time I'm in London i'll sure to pop in for a glass of sherry at the castle. Remember I like mine kinda dry. See how that would go over.

• Actually...
      January 16, 2014 - 15:00

It actually doesn't cost us anything, Royal visits come out of the taxpayers of the UK's pockets.

• candrayo
      January 16, 2014 - 22:54

Ummmm….you should check your facts…tax payers are a big part of this travel….you might want to learn how the Monarchy system works..learn it's history…trust me..you have paid for it in one currency or another. With all due respect and speaking only in what I believe. You perspective is your own..this is mine. Cheers!