Cold New Year's Eve celebration takes small bite out of food

Jim Day

This may look like a puff of smoke from a cigarette, but it is the breath of some very cold people partaking in the New Years Eve celebrations.

Thousands of hot dogs left over from New Year’s Eve event

Many hot dogs got the cold shoulder during the major outdoor New Year’s Eve celebration in Charlottetown.

Wayne Long, events development officer with the capital city, says the municipality was hoping for 8,000 to 10,000 people to take in a free concert and fireworks outside Province House.

Bitter cold, however, beat back the anticipated turnout by several thousand.

In the end, the city served up between 3,500 and 4,000 hot dogs. At least that many were left over.

That proved good news for the Upper Room Food Bank in Charlottetown that was able to distribute many of the dogs to their clients.

Long says the city put its regular New Year’s in the Park budget of $15,000 towards the big event that was funded largely by P.E.I. 2014 Inc. to ring in a yearlong celebration marking the 150th anniversary of the 1864 Charlottetown Conference.

Organizations: Upper Room Food Bank

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Province House.Bitter

Comments

Comments

• conscience
    January 06, 2014 - 18:37

Only miserable people would have such things to say. Carma creatons

• City Guy
    January 06, 2014 - 17:00

Good on the City. Nice gesture. Everybody loves hotdogs. At least they weren't put to waste. The last time I heard, the Food Bank was in need of much food. So some respect weiners.

• weiners
    January 06, 2014 - 16:18

How delightful! Processed crap that I wouldn't feed to my dog. Why not pass it off to the poor folks needing the services of the food bank? Use the 2014 fund to provide the food bank with some actual healthy food for struggling Islanders, that would be a most wonderful way to celebrate.

• Whatever
      January 06, 2014 - 16:44

So, they should have just thrown them out? If I was starving I'd be pretty happy with that hot dog. Sure, not the best choice but better than trashing them and better than NOTHING!

• Bill MacPherson
      January 06, 2014 - 17:20

I am sure you meant your name to be Whiner and not weiners. They are not the healthiest of foods, but even people who don't need the services of the food bank eat the stuff. You would also whine if the organizers composted the leftover weiners instead of giving theme to the upper room. I can see your post now - "why did they not donate the stuff to the upper room instead of throwing them away?" Troll.

• scott
      January 06, 2014 - 17:44

Weiners, I'm sure you donate excessive quantities of good, healthy food to the food bank dont you? Or are you just another keyboard hero with too much time on your hands?