Charlottetown Superstore resells meat found in thief's pants

Ryan Ross

Provincial court of Prince Edward Island

An Island man is in jail after a court heard he shoved meat down his pants, was caught and the food recovered for resale.

Jeffery Arthur Feehan, 29, appeared before provincial court Chief Judge John Douglas in Charlottetown Tuesday, where he pleaded guilty to six charges, including stealing from two Superstore grocery stores in Charlottetown and failing to attend court.

Douglas sentenced him to a combined 94 days in jail on top of the 28 he already served while in custody awaiting sentencing.

During one incident, Feehan went to a Superstore where staff watched him put food in a basket, then take it into the bathroom where he stuck it down his pants.

The food included chicken breasts, bacon and steaks worth $71.32.

“That sounds strange. They must have been well wrapped in plastic given that they were down his pants,” she said.

Moore said the thefts were characteristic of the current trend of people stealing high-value items to sell in exchanging for drugs.

The court heard that another incident Feehan went to a Superstore in Charlottetown where staff saw him put steaks and other food into a basket and walk out of the building.

Staff members chased him and they were able to recover the food for resale.

Defence lawyer Thane MacEachern said Feehan was dealing with addictions issues, which led to the thefts.

Before Douglas handed down a sentence, Feehan rose to address the court, although he didn’t have much to say.

“I realize drugs are not a good way to go about living,” Feehan said.

Along with the jail time, Feehan will have to pay $200 to the victims of crime fund and will be on probation for 18 months and he is banned from the Superstores in Charlottetown for one year.

rross@theguardian.pe.ca

twitter.com/ryanrross

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Iceland

Comments

Comments

• employee
    January 12, 2014 - 22:55

The product was concealed in the suspects pants, the items completely left the store, the items were recovered and the suspect detained. The crown attorney stated it was able to be resold, the store did not actually resell the items, the items were brought to the meat department, marked for waste and disposed of.

• Beverly
    December 15, 2013 - 09:31

That's disgusting that Superstore would put the meat back on the shelves for resale!

• JR
    December 14, 2013 - 00:27

Hes a good kid, had lotsa bad luck. I know him and hope that this is where it starts and ends for this young man. I hope he gets help for his drug addictions and doesn't have to resort to these measures again. Good luck Jeff! You can turn it around! Don't give up buddy! Get some help as people do care.

• Oh my
    December 11, 2013 - 22:48

I work here in a different deparment. I was told that the meat department was given the meat back BUT THEN THREW IT OUT. I have seen the guardian not get there facts straight before and here they go again. I know the people here would not give this meat out!

• Mary Gallant
    December 11, 2013 - 22:03

I would hope that the Superstores would not resell these items! Heaven knows if they were tampered with or not while in the bathroom....I would definitely not want to buy these items Not very sanitary or safe in my opinion! Plastic or not!

• Chris
    December 11, 2013 - 20:57

This is the most disturbing thing related to food that I have ever heard. That Superstore would put money before the health of the general public is nothing short of appalling. One has to wonder what other filthy things have been done with food in those stores! How many pieces of meat have been dropped on the floor during cutting, brushed off and packaged for sale? What about fish? What about cheese? Superstore is now off my list of places to shop. I trust that the PEI Health department is going to take Superstore apart in order to either clean up their act or shut them down. If the Health department ignores this serious infraction, then I hope that they will drop their insult to the housewives of PEI. Currently no food prepared in private kitchens can be served up at public gatherings or sold at fundraisers for churches, charities, etc.. I would rather eat food cooked by one of the good ladies of PEI than trust Superstore in future.

• Rusty
    December 11, 2013 - 18:09

I wonder why he didn't go for the "fresh" lobster?

• Holy
    December 11, 2013 - 17:33

Wow 40 people freaking over this story...but less then 2 weeks ago a man was charged with interfering with a child and only 6-8 people speak up!!!

• Holy
    December 11, 2013 - 17:31

• Lloyd
    December 11, 2013 - 15:55

Steaks chicken breasts and bacon. If the guy had stolen package of bologna because he was hungry I would feel bad for him. I have no sympathy for him now. He just another thief.

• Rhody.77
    December 11, 2013 - 14:15

to yourabadperson: I didn't say he didn't need to eat. And I certainly didn't imply that he stole meat to get high - at least not directly. If he is stealing, it is very likely because he spent every other dime on his addiction, or he is selling the meat for drug money. I said he was not dealing with his addictions - and clearly he isn't. Stealing to fuel his addiction is not helping him in any way. That's the point you are missing. And so is his lawyer.

• Lisa McFee
    December 11, 2013 - 14:09

"Crown attorney Valerie Moore said the store was able to recover the food for resale." I highly doubt the store had any intentions of selling the meat and Crown Attorney should be careful what she says! Because if this did not happen, she herself could be into legal trouble!!!

• Peter
      December 11, 2013 - 21:19

It's the "Superstore" .. you think they wouldn't resell it if they can?

• CTM @ Delicatessen Counter
    December 11, 2013 - 13:11

It's time Islanders became a more open minded. In some cultures, crotch thawed meat is considered a delicacy.

• Mark
    December 11, 2013 - 12:46

I am not defending the grocery store by any means, but you have to look at this from a different view as well. How many people have rummaged through packages of meat to find the "right" one for them? Now, think of how many of these people have filth on their hands for whatever reason, bathroom for example. So the next person comes along and handles the same thing. That person has the germs and filth of that person before them and so on. So the next time you go to any grocery store, say to yourself, did the person before me have their hands down their pants? Or did they not wash their hands after the washroom. Same result either way.

• UPWESTER
      December 11, 2013 - 13:05

I thought that sausage was a little off!

• Carnivore
    December 11, 2013 - 10:53

Handle with Latex gloves and boil the kudos out...

• Bill
    December 11, 2013 - 10:41

Everybody on here seems to want to bend and twist this story to make a point for themselves, how about we DEAL with the real issue.....ADDICTION!! Also, people think that it's that shady, scruffy guy on the corner that is responsible. Well here is a news flash for everybody in denial, the REAL culprit is that well educated, well dressed man who speaks so intelligently and articulate when he's writing out prescriptions for opiates.

• One Issue Doesn't Change The Other
      December 11, 2013 - 12:36

Bill, no one is bending and twisting . No one is saying PEI doesn't have a serious drug issue. Many would probably even agree that Doctor's need to rethink the way they hand out prescriptions. There have been plenty of stories on that and many opportunities for people to comment. The fact of the matter is that this story is about a store selling merchandise that some guy has had down his pants. Regardless of how he became addicted, I don't want to buy steak that has been up close and personal with Mr Johnstone.

• Peter
      December 11, 2013 - 21:40

Bill ... Doctors don't prescribe "crack", "grass", "weed", or whatever else these druggies use. Doctors DO prescribe "opiates" yes... intended for the patient it's prescribed for, not intended to the druggies and thieves that try to steal them, either for their own use or for sale. The REAL problem, as far as I'm concerned, is the "Justice System" ... or rather the LACK OF justice! Criminals apparently have rights... including the right to be treated decently and humanely ... Victims don't!

• karen stanley
    December 11, 2013 - 10:35

I don't agree with the Superstore re selling any such food item once it leaves the store especially if it has been concealed as this story tells. If I returned a food item back to the kitchen at a Restaurant I would hope they wouldn't serve it to someone else again..wrapped or not..it should have been destroyed. A canned good is a different thing but I definately will be thinking of this when I purchase my groceries from now on.

• R. Magnusson
    December 11, 2013 - 10:20

I ate that meat. It was delicious.

• don
      December 11, 2013 - 13:41

well then you have no problem eating food with rat droppings in it?

• Kevin
    December 11, 2013 - 10:13

Looks like Superstore just said goodbye to their meat department

• Rhody.77
    December 11, 2013 - 10:03

"Feehan was dealing with addictions issues"... Clearly he is NOT dealing with his addiction issues. He is stealing to support it. Another addict trying to justify his bad choices by making it "not his fault"....

• yourabadperson
      December 11, 2013 - 11:32

yeah he was stealing meat to eat it and get high. people with addictions need to eat food to survive too you know, die.

• don
    December 11, 2013 - 09:43

where is our governments health dept not stepping in on this? i now wonder as many is how many times has this happened in the past and will happen in the future? and to me the manager of the store and meat manager should be FIRED. this is so sickening. i wonder who bought the meat are they wondering did they eat that meat? did the guy have aids etc?

• B
      December 11, 2013 - 12:04

It wouldn't matter if he had AIDS. Maybe an STI of some sort yes

• shopper
    December 11, 2013 - 09:32

Hope the meat was sold at a discount.

• ButterBall
    December 11, 2013 - 09:21

Ok, Someone from the Superstore must respond here did this really happen? The person making that decision has to be fired. Thats the most disgusting thing I have ever heard....

• aaron
    December 11, 2013 - 08:57

They didnt "resell" the meat if was stolen, and not sold in the first place.

• stunned again
    December 11, 2013 - 08:35

One of the more disgusting stories I've read lately. BTW, how can it be theft if the store sold what was 'stolen'? 'Justice' has a real sense of humour if you consider what white collar criminals get away with.

• Rhody.77
      December 11, 2013 - 09:58

Yes, it was stolen. The man tried to hide it, and he was caught. The stolen item was recovered. Just the same as if a sweater or jeans was stolen and then recovered. The matter of the store putting a food product back on the shelf puts a different slant on things, but that doesn't mean it wasn't stolen.

• GovernmentSellsUsDrugs
      December 11, 2013 - 11:34

yeah haha it doesn't even leave the store and the government gains 200 bucks and that guy does time. i thought you had to leave the store for it to be a theft hahaha but ye ftp

• MEW MEW 33
    December 11, 2013 - 08:23

Was it the same weight before and after?

• What a World.
    December 11, 2013 - 07:26

Given the Harperesque form of justice we're moving towards, I guess we have few choices. But to sentence a troubled man to 94 days (+ 28 he already served) for sticking $71.32 of food down his pants - while Mike Duffy steals over a two hundred thousand dollars and is rewarded with a pension and health benefits? I think I'll just go back to bed . . .

• Countryologist
      December 11, 2013 - 18:25

I agree with you What a world but the guy should not be able to use the fact that he spent 28 days already Start the sentence over and make it stiffer. If the sentence and fine were stiffer he might think about it before he does it again.

• Regardless
    December 11, 2013 - 07:16

Regardless of the meat products being covered in wrapping, I would not want to buy anything that was down inside someone's drawers.

• don
      December 11, 2013 - 09:47

ask your self this how many times has this happened and you bought the items and did not know?

• Dick
    December 11, 2013 - 07:14

SuperStore should be sued for selling this product. Health Canada should fine them.

• Meat Inspector
    December 11, 2013 - 06:49

Why do these steaks look funny?

• Yummy
    December 11, 2013 - 05:47

Ever wonder This meat doesn`t smell quite right. little like body odor maybe. Think I will be shopping local from an actual butcher.

December 11, 2013 - 05:09

Ummm, which Superstore please?

• Jim Crosbie
    December 11, 2013 - 05:06

Why are the courts so lenient? Besides the jail time, he should be banned for life from the store. Just another slap on the wrist for criminals.

• Because he's an addict
      December 11, 2013 - 15:12

They were so easy on him because he's an addict.. That's just the way PEI seems to be working these days. It's disgraceful if you ask me. If he wasn't addicted to drugs, the courts would have been much more strict.

• Momma S
    December 11, 2013 - 04:51

THAT is just gross! I have'nt shopped in Superstore in over two years, and this confirms that I made the right decision to stay away!

• Super Store
    December 11, 2013 - 03:06

Makes my shopping choices easier. Superstore has been filled with product and staffing issues in both stores for years. Management doesn't care about their staff and certainly do not care about the customers, they care about the bottom line.

• Meat Lover
    December 11, 2013 - 02:04

Is that a steak in your pants, or are you just glad to see me?

• don
    December 11, 2013 - 00:34

they were allowed to sell meats after they were in a persons pants? even if they were sealed how were they allowed to sell them? would that not be against the health dept laws? i wonder what the person or persons that bought them would feel if they knew?

• Piet Hein
    December 11, 2013 - 00:03

Let's get this straight. Some guy stuffs meat and chicken down his pants and the Superstore - let's repeat the name of the store again just so anyone who is planning on buying meat or chicken there may have second thoughts - Superstore - thinks it is OK to resell the meat. Does the health department know this and if so why did they OK the resale? Any store that would resell meat that was stuffed down some guys underwear should be investigated. How clean can the store be if managers feel it is appropriate to resell meat that some drug addict had stuffed down his pants? So I can only assume that any food that falls on the floor is just picked up and put back on the shelf or fish counter. I would hope Sobeys picks up a lot of former Superstore customers after this becomes known. I wonder if they impress upon their staff that hands should be washed after bathroom breaks or do the managers figure that if the hands look clean they must be clean.

• islandgirl
      December 11, 2013 - 08:28

Considering the filth of most island restaurants and a Ch'town mall with no hot water in the washrooms (that is also the washroom for food court employees), I don't put much faith in the health department.

• Mell
    December 10, 2013 - 23:10

That store should be fined for reselling this meat- they are as bad as the thieves!!