Slemon Park employee's hand caught in snowblower

TC Media
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Occupational Health and Safety investigating Monday morning incident

Workers Compensation Board logo

SLEMON PARK — A Slemon Park employee was seriously injured Monday morning after his hand got caught in a snowblower.

Bill Reid, director of P.E.I. Occupational Health and Safety, said the office is investigating the incident.

“It was a worker who was using a snowblower to clear snow this morning,” he said. “At this point I’m not sure how this accident happened and we’re still investigating that that. There was a severe injury to his hand.”

Shawn McCarvill, president of Slemon Park, said the man has been employed at the corporation for 20 years.

“He was operating a snowblower,” he said. “He’s an experienced employee and been here for over 20 years.

McCarvill said the man was scheduled for surgery on Monday.

Reid said with the onset of winter, everyone should be aware of the hazards of operating snow removal equipment.

“We are getting into that season,” he said. “Any time anybody is using snowblowers, whether it’s at home or whether it’s commercial, any time you have to either clear any snow obstruction or go near any rotating equipment, make sure that it is de-energized and use another tool to do it. Not your hand.”

Reid said interviews are still ongoing and he hopes they will have the investigation completed in a few weeks.

Organizations: P.E.I. Occupational Health

Geographic location: Slemon Park

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments