Charlottetown Fire Department crest
No one was hurt when a fire from a pot of cooking oil on a stove forced five people from their homes overnight in Charlottetown.
Winston Bryan, the city’s fire inspector, said one of the tenants was cooking french fries in a pot on their stove and in a situation like that there was no way of controlling the temperature of the grease.
“Once it hits a certain temperature it will ignite then you have a grease fire,” he said.
The fire started early Monday morning causing extensive smoke and fire damage in a second-floor apartment where two people were living on Passmore Street.
Water also damaged the apartment on the ground floor where a family of three was living.
Bryan said it is concerning to see people cooking with pots of oil on the stove and the incident happened only a few weeks before next month’s fire prevention week that will have the slogan “prevent kitchen fires.”
The best way for people to prevent grease fires is to get proper cooking appliances, such a Canadian Standards Association (CSA) certified deep fryer, Bryan said.
“A simple fix.”
Bryan also stressed the importance of having working smoke alarms and said the apartment where the fire started had them, but the alarms weren’t hooked up properly.
“We really want to get that message across,” he said.