© Michael Nesbitt/Journal Pioneer
Thirty firefighters and a dozen trucks from five community fire departments responded to the fire, which extensively damaged this vacant house along Route 2 in Mount Pleasant Saturday evening.
MOUNT PLEASANT — A firefighter was treated for smoke inhalation and taken to hospital following a fire here Saturday evening.
The firefighter, who was treated at the scene by Island for smoke inhalation and exhaustion, was taken to Prince County Hospital and later released.
A vacant house along Route 2 near the Enmore Road intersection was extensively damaged in the fire.
“It was one of our members who called it in,” said Tyne Valley fire Chief Lowell Palmer.
The initial call was received at 5:42 p.m. and also led to involvement by fire departments from Lennox Island, Wellington, O’Leary and West Point.
“We had about 30 firefighters on scene and had a dozen vehicles involved,” Palmer said.
The one-and-a-half-storey house had been vacant for about a year, and Palmer expected that the power had been disconnected, but indicated that a Maritime Electric crew did completely disconnect the wiring during the incident.
Palmer said the fire was still under investigation. There was a small grouping of disposable lighters by the driveway at the scene, but they appeared to be weathered and Palmer confirmed that he was aware of the items.
The fire departments were on scene for about two hours and the scene was later checked to ensure there were no hot-spot flare-ups.
The fire marshal’s office is investigating the incident.