North River Fire Department. File photo
NINE MILE CREEK - Provincial Fire Marshal Dave Rossiter credits a working smoke alarm for saving the lives of two people in a fire here early this morning.
The North River Fire Dept responded to the call at 3:01 a.m. and was assisted by the Crapaud Fire Department.
Two occupants in the home at the time were awakened by a working smoke alarm and safely escaped.
Fire Marshal Dave Rossiter ruled the fire accidental with the origin in the basement in the area of a light. The fire damage affected all levels of the home as fire spread up through the vapor barrier in the walls.
The Fire Marshal's Office urges all Islanders to have working smoke alarms on all levels of the home.