Air Canada travellers given less time to check in

Jim Day

Effective April 10, check-in and baggage acceptance for Air Canada flights within Canada will close 45 minutes prior to departure. Photo by THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn

Air Canada’s move to reduce check-in times may take some getting used to for Charlottetown air travellers, says the Charlottetown Airport Authority’s CEO.

“I think it’s safe to say at smaller airports we pride ourselves on not having to arrive as early as larger airports,’’ said Doug Newson.

“So it will be a bit of an adjustment period.’’

Effective April 10, check-in and baggage acceptance for Air Canada flights within Canada will close 45 minutes prior to departure with the exception of flights leaving Toronto’s city airport where check-in and bag drop-off will remain available until 20 minutes before departure.

Newson says he would have liked Air Canada to exempt small airports like Charlottetown’s from the new policy.

However, he adds Air Canada’s new 45-minute window is in line with WestJet’s policy.

Organizations: Air Canada, Charlottetown Airport Authority, WestJet

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Canada, Toronto

Comments

Comments

• captain canuck
    April 04, 2013 - 14:29

Soooo, the problem is....? Eh? Have a nice day!

• Blaine Allen the Flying Tourist
    April 04, 2013 - 09:16

That's why I always go to Moncton NB or Halifax NS for my flights ... it's a bit more gas and the bridge fee but everything moves much faster and there are lots of food concessions when flights are delayed.

• Caged In
    April 03, 2013 - 21:49

I like flying because it is faster. I do not fly anymore, I cannot afford the high rates. I need wheel chair assistance or golf cart and they are no show. I drive now to where I go. It may take days, lots of traffic, but lot cheaper and see lots of sights! Don't be in such a rush, stop your complaining, slow down and smell the flowers. You will live longer!

Bill Kays
    April 03, 2013 - 16:44

Well, that should bring in more tourists, right? After all, Air Canada wants to make more money, right, so why would they peeve off customers? Is it a government owned airline? Perhaps it is another deliberate screwing of the peasants.

• The Facilitator
      April 03, 2013 - 22:31

Bill, Bill, Bill Here you go again, another negative tirade. First of all Air Canada is not Government owned. It used to be, but it was privatized in 1988 (15 years ago). The reason Air Canada wants passengers to check in at least 45 minutes before departure is to allow enough time to get through security. It is a standard that they have right across Canada, not just PEI. If they don't do this, then flights are delayed and passengers start missing their connections at other airports. I doubt that a knowledgeable traveller will have a problem with this measure.

• Uncle Bill
      April 04, 2013 - 08:28

Facilitator.... News Flash...... 1988 was 25 years ago. If you are going to correct someone, at least be correct yourself.

• gary naylor
    April 03, 2013 - 15:00

If Airlines make rules they must follow them I am always early---seated well before departue time I HAVE NEVER YET,Air Canada or Westjet, Not had the annoyance of at least one late passenger sauntering in the front door,always carrying luggage and having to try numerous overhead bins to put it in---said bin always being some distance from the passengers seat;thus managing to keep some 150 on-time passengers waiting, and no doubt causing high blood pressure in Flt Attendants. Remember ---most late people like to be late to draw attention to themselves.

• we've got it great here . . .
    April 03, 2013 - 14:15

Just remember . . . population of Canada = 35 million. Airport usage: Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (78,876,128 passengers) O'Hare International Airport (66,565,952 passengers) London Heathrow (63,338,641 passengers) Tokyo International Airport (61,079,478 passengers) Los Angeles International Airport (56,223,843 passengers) Population of PEI: 145,000 . . . So? Print out a ticket, get to the airport half an hour before departure; we've got it great here in Charlottetown. The idea is to slow down on our Island, not to plan'b us to death!

• Frequent YYG Traveller
    April 03, 2013 - 13:54

The Air Canada check in is not the issue....it's the SLOWER than molasses security check. They need to go to some of the larger airports and see how quickly security goes. VERY frustrating. When they were working to rule a few months ago (and denied it), there was only one screener for the WestJet and AC flights at 6pm. There were 75 people in line and it took over an hour to get through security.

• Fed up
    April 03, 2013 - 12:49

Why ???? We have such a small airport but most of the time Air Canada is not on time, or they are cancelled, and they also over book. This is happening way to much. Mr Newson why does the Charlottetown Airport have one of the highest landing fees in Canada on par with Toronto this makes no sense to me and tells me why so many flights get cancelled. I have heard the plane is stuck in suck and such place, the tire is flat , the coffee pot is frozen(3 hours sitting in the plane for a night flight) to thaw a coffee pot. And the worst yet no flight crew why book a flight and have no crew. This is why so many people travel to Moncton and Halifax to make sure they get to their destination, but saddly it is the counter attendants that take the heat when it is contracted out to Air georgia, I think the Guardian should expose the landing fees at the Charlottetown airport to the public one of the hughest in Canada and now you want us sitting in a room 45 mins before a likely cancelled or delayed flight...Please

• Brian from Stratford
    April 03, 2013 - 12:25

When was it 20 minutes? A couple of years back I arrived at the Chtn airport for an AC flight to Ottawa about 45 minutes early. They said "Oh, we've already released your seat. You're lucky we didn't sell it. You have to be an hour early. We'll try to get your bag on the plane." They didn't. Took me three days to get it. I saw my bag sitting on the tarmac while I watched from the plane. I saw a handler come over, look at the tag, and walk away. I pointed this out to the flight attendant and she said they couldn't put it on. They hadn't started the engines or anything.

• Ridiculous
    April 03, 2013 - 12:11

Charlottetown should have the same policy as Toronto City Airport given the size of planes that Air Canada sends to Charlottetown, especially since it only takes 5 minutes to get the entire plane boarded and luggage only has to travel a short distance from the terminal to the plane. WestJet has much larger planes flying into Charlottetown so it is understandable that they would need a longer time frame.

• Frequent Flyer
    April 03, 2013 - 12:09

Thanks for making it official. Funny thing is that Charlottetown and Fredericton travellers delight in making last-minute appearances, so there's really not much of a change.

• Johnny Aviatorous
    April 03, 2013 - 10:19

Who cares.........get up earlier, get your timmies, and get in line. Oh, and shut up as well. Complaining is not becoming