Charlottetown Fire Services was called to the Queens RCMP detachment in the capital city Thursday night.
The RCMP officers on duty called to say that the building was filling with a strong burning smell and some smoke.
There was no visible sign of fire at what is commonly known as the Maypoint detachment, which is located at the corner of Capital Drive and Maypoint Road in Charlottetown. Firefighters were seen searching the interior and eaves for a source of the smoke.
The call came in about 8:15. p.m. and by 9 p.m. members of District Two fire station left the scene after identifying the culprit as a malfunctioning ventilation unit.
RCMP spokesperson, Staff Sergeant Dave Thibeau, said that officers at the detachment smelled what seemed to be burning rubber. It was later found to be a drive belt on an air-exchange unit.
The detachment resumed normal operations when staff returned from a brief evacuation of the premises.
A crew from a heating/electrical company was soon on site.
The detachment serves all of rural Queens County in central Prince Edward Island.