Prince Edward Island man dies during South Carolina vacation

Jim Day

Elwood Beggs of Brackley Beach was struck while crossing the road

Orangeburg County, South Carolina

A Brackley Beach woman has given a chilling account of her husband's horrific death Tuesday in South Carolina.

Betty Begg sent a message through a friend to The Guardian detailing the accident that claimed the life of her 77-year-old husband Elwood Begg.

She wrote that Elwood was crossing the road on foot when a truck traveling at high speeds hit him. The impact sent the man in the air and crashing hard on the road, causing extensive internal bleeding.

American media reported that Orangeburg County chief coroner Sean D. Fogle attributed the death to blunt force trauma resulting from being struck by a motor vehicle.

Organizations: The Guardian

Geographic location: South Carolina, Brackley Beach, Prince Edward Island Orangeburg County

Comments

Comments

• faith-marie mckenney
    March 05, 2013 - 22:47

Dear Betty, We were shocked to learn of Elwood's sudden death. We felt so sad knowing that you would be looking forward to yet another Florida vacation together only to have lost your lifes partner. We will see you when you return to PEI and if there is anything that we can do for you just let us know. God Bless, Faith and Douglas

• Dardar
    March 01, 2013 - 22:36

I am not familiar with the family but blessing to his wife and loved ones

• Crystal
    March 01, 2013 - 17:03

Very sorry or your loss Betty. It's sad how terrible things happen to such wonderful people. You and your family are in our prayers.

• Irene Pollard
    March 01, 2013 - 11:19

So very sorry to hear of this tragedy, what a terrible thing to happen

• Deepest Sympathy
    March 01, 2013 - 08:43

My deepest sympathy to you and your family. I am also so sad for Dewey who is left waiting. Please consider this: Take Dewey to see Elwood at the funeral home. Dogs recognize death and he may have more of an understanding of what is happening. If something happened to me it is what I have requested for my dog. Very Sincerely, Donna.

• Lana benoit
    March 01, 2013 - 07:19

Am truly sorry for your lost. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Please accept our sympathies. May Mr. Begg RIP.

• Betty Begg
    February 28, 2013 - 22:17

I've been here at Howard Johnston's a few feet from the scene with our puppy Dewey . he is waiting for Elwood to come in . We were at our last night resting place and going on to Florida in the A M . Elwood said I think I want a hamburger and will see you in a few minutes . the next time I seen him was in hospital with 8 state troopers a nurse and a corner . my sister spent time with me then my son and daughter drove from Kingston Ontario over night . Elwood will be coming home tomorrow with me . A love of music - Hockey - Baseball and family and we have 10 children .

• Very Sorry
      March 01, 2013 - 16:33

I'm truly sorry Mrs. Begg for the tragic death of your husband. It would be hard to lose a loved one anytime and anywhere, but to be so far from home must be terrible. I'm glad to hear that you have family with you down there. God bless.

• Amanda Gushue
    February 28, 2013 - 20:38

Elwood you are going to be greatly missed. You had a heart of gold and always ready to help those in need. Betty your church family here in PEI are praying for you and we are sending our love.

• Beaufort SC
    February 28, 2013 - 19:29

Deepest sympathies to the family from a South Carolinian who loves PEI.

• terry avery
    February 28, 2013 - 18:24

. I did not know this gentleman or his family but my heart goes out to them in their time of mourning ...newsworthy someone asks I say it was the most important news of the day.

• sarah
    February 28, 2013 - 17:51

I am so sorry for the loss of a very nice man. I didnt get to spend very much time with him but i am sure he will be missed deeply. thinking of you all during this very difficult time. Sarah j

• amanda
    February 28, 2013 - 16:21

Betty Im so sorry to hear about Elwood.. thinking of you and your family through this difficult time

• Sorry For Your Loss
    February 28, 2013 - 15:55

To the family and friends of Mr. Begg, my deepest sympathy. What a horrible thing to happen although I'm not sure the details are relevent for us to know. May this poor gentleman rest in peace and may his wife and family hold on to the happy memories of their life together.