Charlottetown Farmers market restricts parking

Morgan Stride

Charlottetown Farmers' Market manager says insurance rate hikes are forcing the market to restrict those from using the parking lot when the market is not open.

If you’ve been using the Charlottetown Farmers Market for long-term parking while  attending classes or working at UPEI, you’re about to get evicted.

The farmers market has announced it will restrict parking. Students, staff, and visitors at UPEI have historically used the parking lot for convenience, or to avoid parking fees at the university. Some people parked there overnight on a regular basis.

One of the big issues is insurance, said manager Andrew MacDonald. The market’s insurance provider will still cover them if they allow the extra parking, but it will drive their rates up.

“Basically, we’d have to insure everyone going in and out. As a non-profit co-op, we just can’t afford that.”

MacDonald said the extra vehicles are also crowding out regular customers.

“It’s crowding them out. Also, they’re making it difficult for snow plows to clear the lot.”

He said there hasn’t been any major backlash over the decision.

“Students had free parking for a while, but now they don’t. We’ve talked with UPEI, and they’re alright with that. Some people are making comments over how we could charge for parking, but we just aren’t in a position to.”

MacDonald said very few people are upset by the change at all.

“It’s not really a big deal, in the end. We’re putting up some no parking signs and that’s pretty much where it ends. It’d be great if we had the cash to let  them keep on parking here, but we just can’t afford to.”

Geographic location: Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• LA
    February 25, 2013 - 23:03

Any business having the good fortune to have a decent parking area knows how it goes. It's not full ALL the time, so people beg to use it for free cause they live nearby and have no parking spot. You feel bad for them, so you say OK. Then "creep" and advantage-taking sets in. It can never be fully plowed because they're always there overnight, so they can't get back into the out-of-the-way spots and start creeping further and further into your lot until suddenly there's dozens of them and your own employees are getting tickets for parking illegally on the street because they can't find space in the lot reserved for them during peak usage times. Then you're a jerk for banning free parking by non-employees, when you started out trying to be nice. At my place of work we've even had nearby residents yell at employees to "get out of my parking space" even though the lot is fenced, marked, and has a large tow-zone sign (although we have kindly never towed a soul as we would love to be able to share our lot harmoniously). But when enough's enough, the free parkers don't get the last word, as indignant as they may be at having the convenient service revoked.

• No Problem
    February 25, 2013 - 19:22

Parking will not be a problem for me . I will not be going to the market any more since the farmers are a big part of me having to pay a lot more after the HST comes in . I personally am going to boycott all farm products grown on PEI along with doing as much buying on line as possible . It's the only means I have to fight this rip off tax . I expect to pay a lot less in taxes to PEI by doing this . Very little of that extra $25 million will be from me . The rest of you can make up my share of Ghiz's spending money .

• LA
      February 25, 2013 - 22:43

Ridiculous. The rest of us did not cause your issues. What's your profession? I'm going to boycott it because of you.

• Senior Islander
    February 25, 2013 - 15:12

Why not just have no parking signs up on snow removal days or on any day the Market is open and handle the insurance problem by posting a not responsible for accidents sign? With no liabilty there should not be an insurance problem. Not allowing the use of the lot when it is not being utilized by market customers or snow removal appears unreasonable to me. Plus I do not use the lot for parking unless I am attending the market.

• senior student
      February 25, 2013 - 17:07

It's easy to say it should be up to UPEI to rent the land to park on from the market...but I know they tried that a few years ago..even offered to pave the parking lot for them and the market 'people' said no way...Agriculture Canada owns that land not the market and as far as I know they just lease it from them...but like everything else on this Island...just because it hasn't been done before...it's like no one can ever figure out a way to make it work now.

• David
      February 25, 2013 - 19:11

Think of it this way. You own a pool without a fence and one day a 10 year-old kids walks into your yard when you are not home and drowns in your pool. Having a "not responsible for accidents" sign isn't going to do squat the kid died on your property. Change that to a student gets run over and severely injured or killed while walking in the Farmer's Market lot. The Farmer's Market will be sued out of existence because they didn't provide a safe environment for the (illegal) users of the parking lot. You have to make sure the land you own is secure when you are not there otherwise you will be held responsible.

• parker shellby
    February 25, 2013 - 15:04

There always was a "No Parking" sign at the Farmers Market, it blew down in a wind storm back in 2010, and AAFC never replaced it.

• UPEI Student
    February 25, 2013 - 14:47

I would take the bus if only it came near my house, but driving half an hour to Charlottetown to get to the bus stop makes no sense. Also paying for both a parking pass and bus pass is pointless if you can't use the bus. Either everyone pay for both to drive down parking passes, or just pay for one.

• Extra parking
    February 25, 2013 - 14:47

The university should rent parking spaces from the land owner with the large parking lot across the street if they want their students to be able to park in that lot. The onus is on the university, not nearbye landowners, to fix the parking problem.

• clam
    February 25, 2013 - 14:12

There is know reason for anybody to get upset.This is their right.It's not their fault the university doesn't have enough parking spots.The market needs this for themselves,plus their insurance costs would go up.

• Senior Student
    February 25, 2013 - 12:57

How are students who don't have the money to pay for parking passes crowding out the Market's regular customers? The market is only open on Sat. There wouldn't be half dozen student cars there at all if any on Sat. There is no space to park at UPEI even if you have a pass I know I can never find one. Seniors College of PEI pays $8 a semester to park on campus, regular students pay nearly $90. I'm a centennial scholar, over 60 so a senior taking a class I can't afford a pass and I don't get one for $8...and now I can't park at the market...although I've been a regular patron of the market for years...sounds like nothing but excuses and dog in the manger attitude by the market to me...

• LA
      February 25, 2013 - 22:45

It's still not their problem that UPEI doesn't provide you with parking. Maybe I'll use your driveway since mine is full, that okay with you? You don't use it all day anyway.

• non profit co-op for benefit of themselves
    February 25, 2013 - 12:14

Farmers market is run by a gestapo of participants who take care of profit in the market for their exclusive benefit. Try getting to sell in the market, where remarkably very few farmers are involved. Another elitist group running a publicly funded and built facility.

• UPEI
    February 25, 2013 - 11:21

UPEI should donate the money they make from over-selling passes for each of their parking lots. The pass I bought for $100+ for which entitles me the 'right to park' (according to the uni) in one of their lots. If you're arriving after 8:30am, good luck finding a spot.

• rob
    February 25, 2013 - 11:15

Please stop stating things like "We’ve talked with UPEI, and they’re alright with that" and "very few people are upset by the change at all". Of course UPEI is saying that, parking permits are sold out, and there aren't enough spaces in the first place, not like this would make any more sense. There are lots of people upset, obviously! Why would you say there has been major backlash, but nobody is upset in the same story?

• their property their rules
      February 25, 2013 - 12:00

The Charlottetown Farmers Market is private property, just like the Burger King and the Spring Park Plaza shopping area. If those property owners decide for reasons of insurance liability or otherwise to ban and remove vehicles from parking on their property when those vehicle users are going to another property (UPEI), then that is 100% within their right. If UPEI students don't like it, they can either walk with the 2 legs underneath their you-know-whats or they can ride on the nice green buses that their student passes are paying for.

• AShley
      February 25, 2013 - 13:45

He said there hasn’t been any major backlash over the decision You won't get far in university if you cant read.