The emergency department at Western Hospital in Alberton will be closed overnight, beginning at 10 p.m., due to a temporary lack of physician coverage.
A Health P.E.I. news release says the emergency department will be open from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. today and will reopen at 8 a.m. Wednesday.
West Prince residents with urgent medical needs should call 9-1-1 or seek emergency services at the Prince County Hospital, or the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, when:
- experiencing discomfort or tightness in the chest;
- experiencing unusual shortness of breath;
- experiencing abdominal pain;
- experiencing prolonged and persistent headache or dizziness;
- an injury may require stitches or involve a broken bone;
- a child has prolonged diarrhea or vomiting; or
- a baby under six months of age has a fever of 38°C (100.4°F) or higher.
In non-urgent situations, all Islanders are encouraged to visit their family physician’s office or a walk-in clinic. Locations and hours are available at www.healthpei.ca/walkinclinics.