Show documents shocking murders of beloved P.E.I. ballplayers

The hearse carrying the casket of Mitch MacLean leaves Winsloe United Church in P.E.I. on Thursday, Dec. 22, 2011. MacLean, fellow player Tanner Craswell and Tabitha Stepple of Lethbridge, Alta. were killed in a roadside shooting in Alberta more than a year ago. Photo by The Canadian Press

A special investigative report on the shocking roadside murder of two popular young Prince Edward Island baseball players will air on television Saturday.

W5 investigates the heinous multiple murder-suicide that left three innocent victims dead and Shayna Conway – the sole survivor  – desperately clinging to life.

W5 Host and Chief Correspondent Lloyd Robertson interviews Conway, friends and families of the victims, and police, in an effort to piece together the untold story of the “ROAD TO MURDER”, premiering at 7 p.m. AT on CTV.

In an exclusive interview, Conway recalls her friends Tabitha Stepple, Mitch Maclean, and Tanner Craswell, gunned down on Alberta’s Highway 2 by Derek Jensen, who then took his own life at the scene of the crime. W5 has obtained text messages sent by Jensen to his girlfriend Stepple in the days preceding the murder-suicide, revealing a dark and tortured soul.

Conway and other friends tell of the tragic night, when a birthday party and a pre-Christmas celebration led to Jensen tracking his victims as they drove to the Calgary airport, ramming their car from behind. When both vehicles stopped at the side of the road, Jensen savagely executed his defenceless victims, shooting each one multiple times. Only Conway survived and now describes that horrific night in detail to W5.

Robertson meets with families to hear their emotional memories of a parent’s worst nightmare: learning that their child had been killed by a deranged gunman. He joins three of the families at a makeshift memorial at the side of Alberta’s Highway 2, an hour south of Calgary, and in the ballpark in Lethbridge, where two of the victims were pursuing dreams of playing professional baseball.

“ROAD TO MURDER” is produced by Calgary’s Pyramid Productions, in association with CTV’s W5. The production company produced last season’s critically acclaimed “MURDER FOR LOVE” for W5.

Comments

Comments

• Mary Adams
    February 19, 2013 - 16:14

I think this terrible tragedy needs to be told I assume the families involved are alright with the Documentary or they wouldn't do the interview I only knew a sister of one of the boys and she was devastated and her main reason "Why" did this happen to her brother who loved baseball" And Shayna god love her probably is tired of trying to tell people the same story as people care and want to know everything. she is small in stature but she must have some big shoulders to do this, by seeing the Documentary people will know and it gives her relief that its finally out. Just saying......

• SHANNON
    February 16, 2013 - 20:16

This story is important. I believe this should be shown to at least grade 9. And the reason because of domestic violence. When you date for the first time if there is jealously you see it as positive. As you get older you realize jealously can be a serious issue. I feel bad for those lives lost and Shana is stronger then she realizes. I cannot begin to understand her pain but i believe she has a strong purpose in life. So very sorry for the heartache the others have to endure and god bless to all, and a thank-you to w5 for this story because if it can save a life ...then this story was worth putting out there.

• Deb
    February 16, 2013 - 19:10

I don't know the families involved but have followed this nitemare from day one. My heart breaks for all the families including the family of the boyfriend who caused all this heartache . They are suffering too!!!

• Billy
    February 16, 2013 - 10:12

why do we have to go over this again. I didn't hear anything about this on Compass.

• inspired
    February 16, 2013 - 10:10

I would just like to say that i am truly inspired by the strength of shayna! To be able to deal with what she has dealt with and to now go on national television and relive it all in detail, that take strength like no other. I went to school with her and she was always such a bubbly person with a good heart, but i never knew she had the strength and determination she has showed since this tragedy. So Shayna if you happen to read this just know that you are a true inspiration to so many, myself included your strength is something to be admired.

• A Voice
    February 16, 2013 - 09:02

I am asking myself the question, " what is the purpose of this show? " The victims are now resting in peace, and Shayna who is trying to get on with her life, also the families connected, should they have to be reminded? I for one, will not be watching this program. I respect the wishes of the families involved, should they wish to have it aired.

• Questions
      February 16, 2013 - 10:56

The entire country has questions, we were all devastated by what happened and would know to know how and why to ensure it doesn't happen again. Food for thought.

• Obviously
      February 16, 2013 - 11:46

It looks like you haven't watched much murder shows. They usually interview the family and the people involved so obviously they don't mind if it is aired, and the purpose of this show is the same purpose as news is on television.

• Ozzy Stillbourne
    February 16, 2013 - 01:43

Jacinta,You are doing so much it;s amazing. Do not feel helpless. Might not be able to make the games, but is there a website where we can donate? Keith Craswell taught me baseball when I was a young fellow, and he's a fine man. Never knew Tanner, but if he was anything like his dad, then he had to be a fine young man too.

• not sure
    February 15, 2013 - 19:08

Is it airing at 8pm or 7pm? Just checked ahead and it's showing it's airing at 7pm and harry potter starts at 8.

• Creed Bratton
    February 15, 2013 - 17:41

"THE ROAD TO MURDER?!?!" Wow, what a terrible title...

• Jon Waugh
    February 15, 2013 - 16:43

This story breaks my heart into a billion pieces. May the victims rest in God's Almighty peace.

• Jacinta
    February 15, 2013 - 14:06

I hope Mitch, Tanners and Tabitha's death's were not in vain. I am in the midst of planning a baseball tournament in their name with proceeds and acknowledgement going to the shooting victims of Sandy Hook Elementary. I have never felt so helpless in my life. But for the grace of God, has never been so true. It will never take away the pain but maybe it will shed some light on mental illness.