ALBERTON – A fire that broke out here Sunday morning which forced five people from their home is being ruled as accidental.
Provincial Fire Marshal Dave Rossiter said the blaze, which was reported at approximately 5 a.m., originated behind a refrigerator in the Dufferin Street residence.
The cause was a fault created in an electrical cord where the refrigerator was pushed against the plug from a small appliance, said Rossiter.
The occupants, an adult brother and sister and her three teenage children, escaped unharmed after being alerted by a working smoke alarm.
The blaze caused extensive fire damage to the kitchen, plus smoke and water damage throughout the home.
Canadian Red Cross volunteers have provided some personal-care kits and blankets and have offered additional help to the family, depending on what insurance may cover.