Accused in Stratford home invasion sentenced in unrelated theft cases

A 24-year-old Stratford man sentenced to four months in jail for multiple thefts and other charges will be back in court facing home invasion charges at a later date.

A 24-year-old Stratford man was sentenced Thursday in provincial court to serve four months in the provincial correctional centre after pleading guilty to multiple thefts and other charges.

Edward Joseph Phelan was sentenced to four consecutive jail terms of 30 days each for stealing food and other merchandise from Charlottetown area stores and for breaching a court order.

He received another 30 days in jail, to be served concurrently, on another charge.

Sentence was suspended on another theft charge.

Upon release from jail Phelan will spend 18 months on probation.

While on probation he is prohibited from entering any of the businesses where he committed the act of theft for periods ranging 12 and 18 months.

He must also pay $350 in victims of crime surcharges.

Phelan has an extensive criminal record with prior convictions for assault with a weapon, common assault, mischief, possession of stolen property, theft, being unlawfully at large, breach of probation and uttering counterfeit money.

Speaking to sentence Thursday Crown Counsel Cyndria Wedge said an extended period of custody was warranted.

Phelan has other matters pending before the court.

Those matters include charges related to a robbery and a home invasion in Stratford last weekend.

Geographic location: Stratford, Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• manufacturing criminality
    January 19, 2013 - 12:05

Snag, bag and school them in a crime incubator for a month or two. Yep, that ought to fix it. The indicator that method works so well is what, recidivism? I mean, it's worked so well in the past, why wouldn't it work in the future, eh? I don't know the answer, but anyone that looks at the evidence knows what isn't the answer. Yet, we continue to engage the dysfunctional among us with the same old dysfunctional remedies. So, who's crazier? And yes, I'm a victim of crime. I've suffered from it and it hurts like hell. But what hurts almost as much is watching how us "good guys" manufacture criminality.

• concerned canadian
      January 28, 2013 - 01:00

Prior convictions of assault with a weapon, common assault, mischief, possession of stolen property, theft, being unlawfully at large, breach of probation and uttering counterfeit money....... on top of this ..... = 120 days??????? i do not understand

• patty
    January 19, 2013 - 07:40

Jase, I just read your comment and chills ran up my back. The first thing that runs through my mind is all the shootings in the USA, buying a gun and making comments like, Ill get to the root of the problem if he invades my house. scares me. Lets leave the law to the police....

• dm
    January 18, 2013 - 15:49

Well hopefully he gets federal time for the rest of the charges he's facing, he needs a wake up call dorchester might knock some sense into him.

• SAP
    January 18, 2013 - 12:30

Out just in time for some nice weather, doesn't have to brave the elements to go to work to earn money for food and shelter. I guess it doesn't work out so bad for him after all.

• Dundas Sue
    January 18, 2013 - 12:13

What about a sentence that would get to the bottom of his crimes and fix his thihking or problem so that he does not reoffend. or else he will be out and onto more serious crimes. We have to stop punishing people for punishments sake and start helping them and helping society.

• SAP
      January 18, 2013 - 14:57

Sometimes that can work, but there are also some people that cannot be helped, we have no shortage of people on this planet, and some of them are just broken. The hard part is tying to figure out which are which.

• Jase
      January 18, 2013 - 16:35

Recently purchased a fire arm. I will get to the root of his problem if he invades my home.

• LA
    January 18, 2013 - 11:19

I often wonder if people like that ever clue in that perhaps they should just not steal.

• Charlottetown Resident
    January 18, 2013 - 10:54

I believe a Federal Institution is warranted here. He had plenty of opportunities and resources to become clean of his criminal ways. He's a lifer.

• Disgusted
    January 18, 2013 - 10:32

Five months...seriously? No wonder so many people continue to commit crimes, there is no punishment. What a joke.