School dealing with death of young student

TC • Media Staff

Kameron Cooke, 6, of Springfield West died at the IWK-Grace Children's Hospital Sunday

Bloomfield Elementary School

BLOOMFIELD — Extra counsellors were brought in to Bloomfield Elementary School on Monday to help students and staff deal with the sudden death on Sunday of a six-year-old boy who was a student at the school.

Kameron Cooke died at the IWK-Grace Children's Hospital in Halifax after being airlifted there on Saturday. Cooke had collapsed suddenly and unexpectedly with no significant prior health conditions known at the time.

He was the son of Kyle and Brittanie (Handrahan) Cooke of Springfield West.

Residents of communities all over West Prince reacted with shock and sadness as news of the young boy’s death spread on Sunday.

Bob Anderson, director of school effectiveness for the English Language School Board and supervisor for the Westisle family of schools, said extra counsellors would be at the school for the next couple of days, as well.

“Students and staff will deal with things differently and at different times,” he said, pointing out counsellors will be available when they are needed.

Anderson said, in accordance with Western School Board practice, Bloomfield School would be closed on the day of the funeral. Funeral arrangements are still being finalized.

Organizations: Children's Hospital, Bloomfield School, English Language School Board Western School Board

Geographic location: Springfield West, West Prince

Comments

Comments

• Saddened
    January 15, 2013 - 15:12

My sympathy to the Cooke & Handrahan Familiies at this very sad time. Also my sympahty to the Staff & Students at Bloomfield Elementary. I was very happy to hear that they will close the school the day of the funeral. I also stongly feel that their flag should be flying at half mass out of respect for Kamereon and his family. This is quite a loss to the school and the community. English School Board office only allows it for the day of the funeral. Have a heart for this dear little boy and his family!!!! God Bless this Family!!!!

• My Condolences
    January 15, 2013 - 13:55

Everytime I read a story about a child leaving this world I can't help but cry with genuine despair. I know this has been said millions of times, but no parent should ever have to bury their child. It is the biggest injustice this world can offer. I don't know these parents, but I am truly sorry for your loss. I have a 6 year old as well, and I cannot....and do not....want to imagine something like this ever happening to him. I hope these parents find the strength to move on through this young boy's memory. I don't know if I could survive what they are experiencing right now.

• mother of two
    January 15, 2013 - 12:07

What a horribly tragedy, My thoughts and prayers go out to the family,friends,classmates,teachers and to the community for your loss. Rest In Peace little angel!

• notright
    January 15, 2013 - 12:04

is this really something that should be put out there for all the public to see....privacy not matter to you the media!!!!! have some respect.

• GREAT GRANDMOTHER
      January 16, 2013 - 02:59

When I was in Grade Two, back in 1938, a schoolmate Jackie died of diptheria. As a little girl not quite seven, I was shocked, and so deeply saddened knowing I'd never again see this lively handsome boy on the school playground, never hear him read from his little Reader, and never see him grow up. His joyful playfulness made such an impression on my childish appreciation of everything and everyone, that I never forgot him. He was a big part of my life, and now would always have a very special private place in my heart. I was never able to talk with anyone about how I felt and that lack of means of sharing with others, is with me to this day. We were not supposed to talk about it, but to think of Jackie privately, which I do yet, and I'm in my mid 80s. Although I never spoke to him, he was a big part of my life and still is, and so is this little Kameron. He will never be forgotten. He lives on in dozens of little hearts who love him sincerely and will keep him in their hearts, guaranteed. Love, and Hugs, with all my heart, g-grammy

• Kerry Molyneaux
    January 15, 2013 - 12:00

R.I.P. Kameron Cooke, God took another angel back to heaven. To all his family , friends and to the people of his community I am so sorry to hear about your loss:(

• susan shaw mancuso
      January 16, 2013 - 08:29

my heartfelt thoughts and prayers are sent to you and your family,my heart aches for what you must be going through,may god bless you all