Trucker jailed 15 days for impaired driving

A 66-year-old Charlottetown man who drove a tractor-trailer while impaired was sentenced to 15 days in jail and fined $1,000.

A 66-year-old Charlottetown man was sentenced Monday in provincial court to serve 15 days in the provincial correctional centre after pleading guilty to a charge of impaired driving.

Lorne Edward Power, who was driving a tractor-trailer at the time of his arrest, was also fined $1,000 and must pay a $150 victims of crime surcharge.

The court was told the RCMP pulled Power over after receiving a report of a possible impaired driver.

Power had alcohol in the vehicle at the time of his arrest. There was also a bottle of mouthwash, the Crown noted.

Power had a prior conviction for impaired driving but it was not recent.

Power’s defence counsel said his client had addiction issues and since this offence occurred has enrolled in a treatment program.

Power is committed to addressing his alcohol use, his counsel indicated.

Speaking through his lawyer, Power apologized for his actions on the date in question.

Provincial Court Judge Nancy Orr said she took into consideration the steps Power has taken since the offence to address his addictions. Power, who has been driving a truck for 35 years, is prohibited from driving for two years.

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: Charlottetown

Comments

Comments

• SG
    January 15, 2013 - 19:46

We have the highest rate of impaired drivers on PEI. Now to read that someone was operating a Tractor Trailer while impaired makes me wonder if some Islanders are EVER going to realize the Danger they are creating for other innocent people? A Fine and Fifteen Days in Jail and a two year suspension is a small price to pay in my view. I hope he will take the steps necessary to deal with his Addiction!

• biscuit hauler
    January 15, 2013 - 19:43

This driver may have been driving for alot of years but would I call him a professional, absolutely not. We as commercial drivers shoulder a heavy responsibility every time we get behind the wheel. One of those responsibilities is knowing the zero tolerance when it comes to alcohol consumption. We not only need to be aware of what we are doing when on the roads but we also have to try and judge what every other driver is going to do. We need to be alert and able to react in a split second, no excuses, lives are at stake and if you can't be prepared to do that, hang up your keys. My parents and children and friends travel these roads and I feel much better knowing there is one less impaired out there

• Donnie
    January 15, 2013 - 14:27

Behind the wheel of a tractor trailer? Drunk, drunk on the job, and drunk operating a vehicle that can weigh up to 40 tonnes, so drunk other people notice and report his erratic driving. Doesn't seek help for his "problem" (which is the usual one of being so self-entitled they don't care about anyone but themselves) until caught. Gets slap on wrist the same as someone caught driving a lawn mower down the road drunk (ask around Rustico)? What happened to the punishment fitting the crime? This was far more dangerous to the public then the average drunk driver.....

• To Jen Chrissy and other DD defenders
    January 15, 2013 - 13:11

Those who defend drunk drivers, make excuses and try to spread the blame are the main problem with drunk driving on this island other than the drunks themselves. A drunk driver is no different then someone shooting off a gun in a crowded room of people. The drunk driver thinks "As long as I don't hurt anyone its all good" and that is the treatment they get. Does that gunman get the same support for doing the same things (just with a different location and weapon)? Grow up Islanders and grow a pair. Stand together against drunk driving.

• amy
      January 15, 2013 - 17:56

Well said.

• Chrissy
      January 15, 2013 - 21:44

Were not defending drunk drivers. Did I say I was? . Get your story straight. I basically saying that It is better him being in treatment then him not being in treatment!!

• Time to Sack Up PEI Judges
    January 15, 2013 - 13:04

Drunk behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler! This idiot could have killed someone no problem! good thing he will only be in the can for a week. Maybe there would be less drinking and driving on PEI if they would sack up and hand out a real jail term. Most people who lose their license for DUI drive regardless of whether or not their license is valid. Jail = no driving.

• Jen
    January 15, 2013 - 12:00

I'm not defending impaired driving. I'm saying don't judge others when you don't know their life.

• nej
      January 15, 2013 - 16:35

Yeah sure, sure, sure.... In fact we all know this guy's life now from reading the accepted statement of facts in the COURT RECORD. He's GUILTY Jen! Don't you get it? He could have killed someone else, or himself, or damaged someone else's property, or his own, etc. etc. GUILTY! 'nuff said.

• Piper
      January 15, 2013 - 19:50

Oh Jen. Dangerous statement! "...don't judge others when you don't know their life." Jen, this is Canada. We have laws. If you break the law you pay the penalty. I don't know YOUR life history, Jen, but I will not defend you if commit acts that are clearly against the law. Your "...don't judge others when you don't know their life" sure doesn't work with me.

• Jen
    January 15, 2013 - 11:13

So Dave, I guess you've never made a mistake in your life?? He's getting help to deal with his problem. It's great when people who have no clue judge others...

• To Jen
      January 15, 2013 - 11:51

Yes we have all made mistakes. I have never intentionally broken the law and put others lives at risk.So what exactly is your point when defending impaired driving?

• islander
      January 15, 2013 - 12:07

Too many mistakes regarding drinking and driving. I dont regard it as a mistake as you knowingly drove while intoxicated.

• john smith
      January 15, 2013 - 12:26

wow... funny how he seeks help after being caught. send a msg, 2 year ban personal license, and 5 year com license ban so no more trucking

• Jen has no clue
      January 15, 2013 - 12:29

Jen, of course he is going to "say" he is getting help with his issues. His sentence isn't as severe that way. How do you know he is getting help? Are you there with him? Do you take him to the classes? Stop making excuses for these people who put us all at risk. Different story if he killed someone you loved while driving impaired I bet.

• Crystal
      January 15, 2013 - 13:05

Yes, people make mistakes but normally they learn from the first time they made that mistake. They don't repeat it , but learn from it.

• dave
      January 15, 2013 - 13:57

Here is the thing... I, and I expect most people don't care if he gets help. I'm not judging him, I don't know who he is, and I do not care about his addiction problem. I care about my problems. This guy, driving a commercial vehicle or a private vehicle puts me and my loved ones at risk, and that makes it my problem. I (our society) expect our judges, laws, and society to provide sufficient deterrent and sufficient consequences. I don't think 15 days, $1000, and 2 year suspension is a sufficient consequence to deter him and others again. Jen - What if he ran over and killed a woman cycling on the road with his truck? What if he ran over one of your loved ones? Does that bring it close enough to you to see him (and all other impaired) as a problem Would you still feel the same about judging others?

• dave
    January 15, 2013 - 10:01

So, a professional driver gets 15 days, and $1000, and 2 year suspension with prior conviction. This guy puts my family, myself, and ALL OF YOU at risk of injury and death on the roads. There needs to be some serious deterrent precedents set by judges such as Orr. I don't care if this guy is treating his addictions, and don't expect you all would either. I care if drivers are impaired and are putting me at risk. Fix the problem.

• Chrissy
      January 15, 2013 - 11:51

Would you rather him not be in treatment and still be on the roads?

• stopjudging
      January 15, 2013 - 12:49

Its funny how everyone has something to say....I often wonder if the guardian put all islanders personal problems(.including the reporters and staff of the guardian) on public display for all to see then how many comments would there be. Stop judging each other and learn to help one anouther in private.Its sad to see this island hurting and judging everyone for mistakes that I am sure are of grave regret to these people.Falling into the trap of the media scutinizing everyone for a mere $ is not right. Everyone should remeber that we ALL have made bad judgement on one occassion or anouther. We ALL are not PERFECT and should learn from a mistake and not be judging !!!!! love thy neighbor : )

• Strange world . . .
    January 15, 2013 - 09:19

Just wondering. If I point a gun at an innocent victim, fire it and miss do I get an vastly different sentence than if I point a gun at an innocent victim and hit her? I guess I do, eh? Strange world . . .

• dave
      January 15, 2013 - 10:42

Just make sure you work on your "issue" if you do point that gun, ...will reduce your sentence too!

• easterngirl
      January 15, 2013 - 16:50

I commend the Guardian for publicizing these offenders! It is called a "DETERRENT" to the next drunk driver! Once you commit a CRIME your right to privacy is gone! He had alcohol and a bottle of mouthwash in his truck..... probably wasn't his first time committing this CRIME! I have no sympathy for these CRIMINALS! And for anyone to try to justify it makes me SICK! When YOU bury a loved one, maybe you'll feel the same!