Bed bugs prompt eviction, IRAC hearing

Ryan Ross

Reginald Doyle prepares for an Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission hearing on behalf of his sister Barbara Doyle who appealed her eviction from her Dorchester Street apartment.

A Charlottetown landlord who evicted an elderly tenant says he did so because she wasn’t doing what was necessary to get rid of bed bugs in her apartment.

Wayne Bevan of Bevan Enterprises appeared before an Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission panel Monday morning for a hearing on the tenant’s appeal of her eviction.

Bevan said an exterminator he hired told him he thought the bed bugs originated in the woman’s apartment. Another exterminator told him the bed bugs were the worst he had ever seen, Bevan said.

“Everything was covered.”

Barbara Doyle filed the appeal after an earlier decision by the residential rental property director that allowed Bevan Enterprises to evict the woman.

The bed bug problem at the Dorchester Street apartment building has been ongoing since the summer, with Bevan saying he had exterminators spray three times in Doyle’s apartment in an attempt to get rid of them.

Doyle hasn’t moved yet and has lived in the ground-floor apartment for three years.

Reginald Doyle, who is Barbara Doyle’s brother, told the panel she first lost her bed because of the bugs, then the couch she slept on once her bed was gone.

Since Dec. 5 she has been sleeping on a cot, which she vacuums every day and keeps away from the wall, he said.

“She does it to try and keep her sanity and hopefully a peaceful sleep.”

In his statement to the panel, Reginald Doyle said 12 weeks went by without Bevan Enterprises spraying the woman’s apartment, which ruined any progress made by previous attempts to get rid of the pests.

His sister didn’t know about bed bugs when the problem first arose, but she has since come to understand the situation well, he said.

He also said his sister had few possessions for the exterminators to work around and Bevan should work with her to solve the bed bug problem, not blame her.

“Why should Barb be punished for not knowing what bed bugs are?”

Bevan said he tries to work with tenants as best he can, but the situation was so bad in the woman’s apartment that he walked on bed bugs when he went inside.

“Blood all over the floor,” he said.

The last time an exterminator sprayed the apartment was Dec. 5 and they will spray again before going back for an inspection.

Bevan said he has spent $4,500 to try and get rid of the bed bugs.

Elizabeth Morrison also spoke for Bevan Enterprises at the hearing and said the only reason they could think of for the exterminator’s treatments not working was that Doyle wasn’t following instructions.

Morrison also said the landlord didn’t think Doyle understood the severity of the situation.

“We’re having a real hard time here and we have to get it rectified,” Morrison said.

The panel adjourned the hearing and said it will release its ruling at a later date.

rross@theguardian.pe.ca

twitter.com/ryanrross

Organizations: Bevan Enterprises, Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission

Geographic location: Charlottetown, Dorchester Street

Comments

Comments

• Bedbug Lady
    December 22, 2012 - 17:56

I was blamed by the number one pest control in Charlottetown when I moved into an apartment in that had already had bedbugs but they didn't know that the women ustairs above me came and told me the second day I was in my apartment that she was spray 2 days before and that my apartment was sprayed as well. When I started to see these strange bugs in my apartment the pest control who came and spayed me 13 times over a year and I lost all my beautiful furniture and this was by no means a slum place .But the bottom line was the women who told me she was the one who was sprayed brought them in was an accident and . She bought bedside table at a second hand and the next she knew was she had bedbugs . She moved out the next month and here I was dealing with my landlord and the number one pest control and they were telling my landlord that I must of brought them in as well because I had them in my apartment as well . They always want to blame someone so the landlord won't get upset with them and use someone else when they fail. After all the spraying that this number pest control did and me and my family losing all our belonging and following all the instructions that this pect control has handed to us to do I did keep a journal of everything . When I got my owe certified pest control to come in it we never had bedbugs again. JUST SAYING !

• Cathy Andrew
    December 19, 2012 - 15:46

As for the elderly lady being kicked out of her place, it is downright wrong , Bevan is like a lot of other landlords loves getting the money each month in his greasy little hand. It is not her fault what happened , it doesn't matter how clean you are you can still end up with bedbugs. He has a lot of rundown dumps around Charlottetown , he calls nice apartments. What a joke!!!! There are a lot of other slums around town, and what they charge for rent is outrageous.

• Concerned Citizen
      December 20, 2012 - 08:28

I understand that a law may have been broken and that legal action may be pending next year. I guess we will have to wait for that decision. Maybe the Doyles should start a facebook page and keep the public up to date on the proceedings?

• Still Scratching
    December 18, 2012 - 21:24

Does anyone else besides me feel like scratching? I looked up on the internet and they are having lots of trouble in Halifax. Go to: CBC - Bedbugs plague Halifax seniors' home. This problem is manageable if nipped in the bud. Spray the little buggers. Don't pick on helpless old ladies to blame for your stupidity.

• Gabriel
    December 18, 2012 - 21:12

It must feel awful having to spend Christmas knowing you can't invite friends over or go visit friends or relatives because of the risk of spreading bed bugs. My heart goes out to this poor woman. This clearly is a case wanton neglect on the part of the building owner for allowing the spread of this parasitic insect. The landlord should consult with other landlords on how to deal with the problem.

• Thy Voice
    December 18, 2012 - 20:45

What a horrible nightmare. It is nice to know that there are people out there responding with some sympathy and compassion. I think Mr. Bevan should spend a few weeks in this apartment and maybe then he would take this situation seriously and keep spraying. Leaving it 12 weeks, totally heartless... I hope your workmen and cleaning staff having been spreading these bugs or eggs to your other buildings.

• Bugsy
    December 18, 2012 - 18:44

If Mr. Bevan wants to get rid of the bedbugs he needs to spray the whole building several times. I wish the other people who could afford to move out right away and left their bug infested furniture in the back yard months ago would speak out in this lady's defense. Bedbugs do not come from dirt, they come from eggs that are sticky and attach themselves to bus seats, airplane seats, park benches etc. The bugs are sticky too. Spraying does not kill the eggs so several sprayings are needed as the eggs hatch. Mr. Bevan you should be ashamed of yourself leaving this woman for 12 weeks without spraying and trying to blame someone else for your problem. And leaving her to suffer with this bug problem and fear of being homeless since your September eviction notice. You have no proof of anything you said. Shame on you Mr. Scrooge!

• To the point
    December 18, 2012 - 17:27

I wonder how the reporter and photographer knew about this meeting,i am thinking Mr Doyle contacted them to attend? regardless.If one can not follow instructions to help control and stop the infestation then what option does Bevan have? It's all very well saying put her up in a motel and have it cleaned and then let her return To have it happen again......no thanks..

• I Hate Bugs
    December 18, 2012 - 17:14

I do not like bugs and I clean constantly to keep them at bay. I also would expect that someone I was renting from would respect me as a tenant enough to keep the premises as safe and clean as possible for healthy living, no matter what the amount of rent. It is evident from this story that the woman was advised she had bedbugs...a curse on any residence...and was told what she needed to do to keep them from returning. The landlord paid for extermination and did his part to protect the tenants in the building. Note that it was late summer, not just a couple of weeks ago. The fact that furniture had to be removed proves she was not rid of the bugs. I feel badly that the poor elderly woman faces eviction, but public safety and her own safety are at risk. Rather than fight the eviction, perhaps her brother should find her adequate help and a place to live where she can be cared for by others who will keep her surroundings clean and bug free...it is for her own safety.

• Bugger
    December 18, 2012 - 16:43

Bed bugs are a more serious problem then people may think. If not exterminated the proper way will immediately return to the same problem. Bed bugs can leave one apartment after being sprayed and move into the next apartment and so on; also known as the Houdini Bug as they are able to hide in any small place. Bed bugs can be picked up from movie theater seats, luggage, second hand stores, even in top retailers with brand new merchandise, etc. When spraying, the whole apartment building or house should be sprayed from top to bottom, in some cases apartments and houses have to be sprayed 2 or 3 times to fully get rid of these pests. Spraying can run in the thousands, depending where you live. As for releasing this woman's name to the media with this bed bug problem, shame on you Bevan Enterprises, but who would want to rent from Bevan Enterprises now that the public knows of your problem. Also, to the person who wrote above about wanting to know about the PNP lottery winners. Just get a hold of the PNP list and search each name in the following website: www.gov.pe.ca go into and look up each name up in the business section.

• Luminary
    December 18, 2012 - 15:42

From what I understand the article says the bugs are in the whole apartment building? How does anyone know where the bugs came from; who brought them into the building and which apartment they started multiplying from? To say that one individual is responsible would require PROOF. The lady who is being blamed for this may bring the landlord up on charges. I smell LAWSUIT. Google on-line and you will be surprised the extent these bugs have infiltrated into society.

• PERSON
    December 18, 2012 - 13:44

Futhurmore when I was younger a friend and I rented an apt from a former person high in the provincial govt. Within days we were scratching and exhibiting bites and itchy. Fleas! We did not own an animal. But prior tenants did. Confronted with proof, the landlord cleaned it up. Who is to say this problem concerning bedbugs didnt originate long before the tenant moved in?

• PERSON
    December 18, 2012 - 13:39

Even buying clothes , furniture, bedding, furniture at second hand stores and flea markets, etc can transfer bedbugs, they are agile little varmits. They can transfer on movie seats, airline seats, almost anywhere. So, to prove it was THIS lady responsible and publicly name her is a lousy thing to do. She might want to investigate HER rights. and , NAME......you are so correct.

• J
    December 18, 2012 - 12:21

Having dealt with bed bugs in the past, I know top hand all about them. I moved into a second floor apartment and until moving there I had never ever had any dealings with these annoying bugs. I lived there for 4 months before I knew I had bed bugs so blaming a lady who had no idea is not fair. I was being treated by a doctor for skin problems, not knowing I was covered in bites. Even after the apartment was sprayed, I was seeing bed bugs morning, noon and night ! And these bugs are only supposed to come out at night and most people never ever see them. Spraying an apartment in an apartment building will not get rid of the problem, they will simply move to another apartment(s) and will eventually find their way back to yours if they even leave it at all, they are great at hiding. Yes, the landlord agreed to spray the apartment and they offered me $40 off my next month's rent...big WOW ! I lost everything I owned, had to walk out the door and leave everything behind. My children and I were traumatized by the experience, one that I never ever want to live through again. It would be nice to see the tables turned and see the landlords go through what some tenants have to go through, maybe then they would have some compassion for their tenants. I wish the elderly lady well and hope she can get out of the nightmare she is living in. She lost her bed, lost her couch and no doubt they are biting her to pieces on the cot. It will take years to recover from the emotional and financial loss. There is nothing for a person out there to recoup what they lost financially.

• Donnie
    December 18, 2012 - 11:19

Sounds more like he's trying to eliminate the problem before it spreads to the rest of the building and becomes impossible to control. I'm pretty sure the other tenants don't want someone with bedbugs in the building, what about their rights? Why should a landlord be forced to keep bad tenants? Oh, and rents in Charlottetown are some of the lowest in Canada, don't like them, get your own place and pay the oil, land taxes, and electrictiy companies yourself.....and you can even have pets....like bedbugs....

• don
    December 18, 2012 - 11:11

an exterminator he hired told him he thought the bed bugs originated in the woman’s apartment. so bevan is not 100% sure it is from that apartment as the exterminator THINKS it is.i think he needs a pro that can be 100% positive.and if he loses i think the lady should SUE.

• name
    December 18, 2012 - 10:56

So easy to release this lady,s name,and so difficult to get the names of the wealthy PNP lottery winners.

• Please Clarify
      December 18, 2012 - 13:47

oh - you are so right. Shameful, is it not? Just think - if the PNP money had been given to bonafide businesses (SOME were) or put toward low income housing initiatives instead of lining pockets and helping to finance high-end apartments and condo construction perhaps situations like this could be solved... The spin offs for that sort of thing would be at LEAST as profitable for many PEI contractors as the Holman Grand...

• Close the slum down
    December 18, 2012 - 10:42

Isn't it time we start closing some of the slums of Charlottetown down, and build decent and affordable housing for people on fixed incomes and the working poor. Let Beven keep his bed bugs.

• Person
    December 18, 2012 - 10:07

Can they PROVE this bedbug problem originated with her? For her to be named in a newspaper they should be positively 100 percent positive, should they not? Bedbugs transfer easily as far as I have heard. And I hear they are very hard to get rid of. A reason to be extra cautious in hotels, motels, b and b, etc

• Bugsy
    December 18, 2012 - 09:40

THREE OTHER TENANTS MOVED OUT RIGHT AWAY END OF THE SUMMER BECAUSE THEIR APARTMENTS WERE INFESTED TOO. TWO OF THESE APARTMENTS HAVE BEEN RENTED AGAIN, BEFORE THE BEDBUG PROBLEM SOLVED. I HOPE THE NEW TENANTS GET COMPENSATED FOR THEIR LOSS OF FURNITURE. BAA HUMBUG

• petrified of bed bugs
    December 18, 2012 - 09:32

Being a tenant of any apartment building I expect that my landlord keeps the property a safe and healthy enviroment. I appreciate that Bevan is trying to keep his other tenants safe from outbreak and its only fair if this woman can't follow the requirements of the exterminator that she should have to leave. It's pretty cut and dry in my opinion. Especially since this isn't the first time!

• Bugs
      December 18, 2012 - 13:12

LEAVE???? And spread them to other apartment buildings and other tenants? That's not fair at all.... to no one!! That's not solving the problem, that's creating a bigger one! He left it for 12 weeks without being sprayed and ruined all progress. He's the one not following requirements.

• Stephen
    December 18, 2012 - 09:26

So according to Morrison, the tenant is being kicked out because of an assumption? You think the only reason the bugs won't go away is because you think she's not holding up to he end of the deal with maintenance? So this elderly woman is losing her home is because you don't want to take the blame for what could be your fault. You complain about losing 4500.00 which you will recoup in a short time. This woman lost her possessions.

• Annoyed Tenant
    December 18, 2012 - 08:57

As a renter in Charlottetown, I'm really getting sick of these landlords charging these ridiculous prices for apartments that they can't keep up with. Maybe they should focus on having a couple of buildings that are clean and nice to live in for the prices that they are charging, then owning the whole street and complaining about having to shell out any kind of money to fix anything. I give you my money every month in exchange for a warm when it's cold, or a roof that will not cave in, not may or not may not cave in. I do also understand that there can be some tenants that are hard to deal with, but there are also the rest of us that just want a decent place to live for the money that we are paying (Key word being decent).

• deal with it
    December 18, 2012 - 08:57

this is the landlords responsibility. If you want to evict the tenant because of bed bugs, you fix the problem. Put her up in a motel or another apartment while you clean out your apartments on dorchester. The poor lady, especially at christmas time. have a heart and do the right thing!

• Thy Voice
    December 18, 2012 - 08:32

Bevan is trying to spread his problem to other landlords and tenants.. I say deal with you problem Bevan and stop trying to give it to someone else.