Police still withholding name of fire victim from Sunday tragedy

Relatives in western Canada still not notified of death

Charlottetown firefighetrs attend to the male victim of a house on Kent Street Sunday afternoon. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Charlottetown police are still withholding the name of a 31-year-old city man who was pronounced dead at the scene of a house fire Sunday afternoon at the east end of Kent Street.

City police said they are withholding the identity of the victim until all next of kin are notified.

Deputy chief Gary McGuigan said the victim has relatives in western Canada that still have not been notified.

An autopsy took place Monday morning at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

police spokesperson said foul play is not suspected as a factor in the individual’s death.

City police and Charlottetown Fire Station 1 were notified of the blaze, located near the end of Kent Street across the road from Joe Ghiz Park, at exactly a minute before 3 p.m. Sunday.

City fire chief Randy MacDonald said on arrival there was a heavy amount of smoke coming from the back of the house.

“The cause is still under investigation, however, the room of origin at this time appears to have been the kitchen,” MacDonald said during an interview with The Guardian. “Of course, throughout the course of the investigation that will be determined.”

The victim was brought out of the building by firefighters, who attempted to resuscitate the male. The individual was ultimately pronounced dead at the scene.

A group of friends wept while watching the events unfold outside of the building.

MacDonald said the blaze saw a lot of smoke and took some time before being extinguished.

“They were hitting hot spots and that sort of thing…. It does take some time to go through it, because it (the fire) gets into the wall cavities and roof areas,” said MacDonald.

There was considerable fire damage to the kitchen area and heavy smoke damage to the rest of the building, said MacDonald.

“There’s some water damage to the kitchen area as well,” he said.

The investigation into the fire was still in its preliminary stages, MacDonald said Sunday evening.

Fire officials were on the scene this morning continuing the investigation.

Geographic location: Joe Ghiz Park

Comments

Comments

• Wendy Grant
    August 18, 2013 - 22:31

If this tradgey is not enough our great newspaper reporter was so damn quick to post it, what a hell of a way to fins something out, accidently. Why post a picture of any tradgey?????????

• Saddened
    December 17, 2012 - 13:12

Come on folks we are fighting over a photo, there is a family out there that has lost a loved one... we should be showing them our support and love as Islanders, not fighting over a photo that has already been printed.... yes its not a nice photo and I dont agree with having it plastered on the front page but the news is the news and I am sure without the photo in the newspaper, the family and friends of this incredible person has a horrible vision in their heads..Have some respect !!

• Dundas Sue
    December 17, 2012 - 12:26

Once again, too much , whether he can be seen or not, a man is dead. A picture of a fire truck would be enough. Complaints always fall on deaf ears. Its news but you dont have to report and show everything, have some respect !

• Unfortunate
    December 17, 2012 - 12:16

What a sad day for this young man's family. Condolences to you all. It is unfortunate that people on Facebook decided to post the information - terrible disrespect for the family.

• SG
    December 17, 2012 - 12:13

Personally I don't have a clue what the Firemen are doing in this picture! All I can see are three firemen and something Blue beside them. My Heartfelt Condolences are with this man's Family, Loved ones and Friends. A Very Sad and unfortunate incident.

• Brad Wall
    December 17, 2012 - 12:01

I played with him with the Abbie's from 99-02.....One of the best friends I have ever had... He will be missed by myself and all the players he ever played with......still can't believe you are gone buddy . From one of your many neufie buddy's Rest In Peace Love yea bro Brad Wall

• Jody Bernard
    December 17, 2012 - 11:54

Thoughts and prayers go out to all who loved and knew this man. I didn't know him but from the responses I've seen, he was clearly a wonderful person. So sad. RIP

• Mike C
    December 17, 2012 - 11:18

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends

• paul
    December 17, 2012 - 10:47

If the caption was not under the photo, would you know what the firefighters were doing? No

• Feeling Sorrow
    December 17, 2012 - 10:39

I've sat here different times looking at similar photos and articles thinking "I wonder what the family thinks of that picture". Well I can honestly say now I know. I understand it is news, but this is not the memory of the last picture of this wonderful young man that I wanted to see. A little respect goes along way, especially when you rely on people putting money out of pocket towards your business. The picture of the fire trucks in front of his house was enough.. Miss ya already little buddy.

• Keen Eyes
    December 17, 2012 - 10:29

To Really & point proven......................... What is wrong with the picture?????? You must have x-ray vision ........I for one, cannot see anyone in this picture except for the 3 firemen,the paramedic, & a few peoples heads! Why take your magnifying glass out & examine EVERYTHING???????Merry Christmas

• heartbroken
    December 17, 2012 - 09:53

As a parent of one of the friends who wept outside, reallly? I know its too late to remove photo fromA the front page..but at least take it off your website. A little more thought next time...disgraceful!!!

• Really?
    December 17, 2012 - 07:10

In light of all events that have taken place this past weekend and now this horrible tragedy I have watched reporters on the news being very respectful of families by being discreet however I am just sooooo disappointed with the guardian for posting this picture did (do) you have absolutely no compassion for family friends of this young man do you not think this photo is disturbing ? I mean there are also people who just don't want or need for this to be the last thing they remember of this young man .. Shame shame on you !!

• Ulfric
      December 17, 2012 - 09:48

It's a media outlet, not the community newsletter. Don't like it, don't read it. Bad news=bad photos. Good new=good photos.

• Point proven, The Guardian has no shame..do they REALLY need to have this picture?
    December 17, 2012 - 00:27

Point proven, The Guardian has no shame..is this photograph REALLY necessary to tell this tragic story?