Charlottetown fire department
Thousands of Charlottetown residents were left in the dark following a fire Wednesday night at the Hotel on Pownal.
Maritime Electric had to disconnect power to 3,000 customers after the hotel’s main electrical panel was found engulfed in flames.
Fire Chief Randy MacDonald said the department received an automatic alarm from the hotel’s fire system shortly after 9 p.m.
Upon arrival, firefighters found smoke coming from the building’s basement, added MacDonald.
“The main electrical panel to the building was on fire,” he said.
Because of the flames on the panel, Maritime Electric was called to the scene to disconnect the power. This meant the entire circuit had to disconnected, leaving many area residents in the dark.
Maritime Electric later isolated the hotel and restored power to other customers in the area.
A section of Pownal Street was blocked off by the fire department during the incident.
The building was occupied at the time of the fire starting, although no one was injured.
There was also no structural damage, except for damage to the electrical panel itself, added MacDonald.
“There is smoke damage to the lower level,” he added. “Right now, firefighters are ventilating the lower level.”
Patrons of the hotel were relocated.
The Hotel on Pownal, located at 146 Pownal Street and formerly known as the Islander Motor Lodge, is owned by Murphy Investment Group.
The Guardian was unable to contact a hotel spokesperson last night.