Gay couple alleges discrimination at Charlottetown bar

Teresa Wright

Jack Cameron's

An incident at a downtown bar over the weekend has left a gay couple feeling discriminated and the bar’s manager feeling unfairly targeted as homophobic.

The incident happened Friday night at Jack Cameron’s Eatery and Nightclub in Charlottetown, formerly called the Velvet Underground.

A couple was kissing while on the dance floor when the bar’s manager, Gordie Cameron, took them aside and asked them to stop.

The couple in question was a male same-sex couple.

One of the two young men spoke to The Guardian on condition of anonymity. He said they were celebrating at the bar with friends who were leaving P.E.I. for the holidays.

Shortly after they began exchanging kisses on the dance floor, Cameron approached them and took them to a staff room where they were told, ‘You guys have to stop kissing or you’ll have to leave the bar,’ one of the couple told The Guardian.

“He said if it were a guy and a girl kissing he would do the same thing, but there were other people kissing and no one was spoken to like that.”

Cameron then bought the two men a drink, but they gave the drinks to friends and left.

“The reason I didn’t speak up there was that I didn’t want to cause a scene,” one of two men said.

“If he had done that to other couples, there would be no problem. The fact is, he singled out the two men on the dance floor and asked us to leave… there were even other female couples doing the same thing.”

That’s when they took to social media. One of the two young men posted a note on his Facebook page, detailing his perspective of the incident, saying he felt discriminated.

The status update went viral, with people re-posting it to their own personal pages, and then lashing out on the bar’s Facebook page.

But Cameron says the whole situation has been misinterpreted and that he and his establishment are being unfairly called homophobic.

He confirmed he did ask the couple to stop kissing Friday night, but says he did not ask them to leave and was not singling them out because they of their sexual orientation.

“If he had done that to other couples, there would be no problem. The fact is, he singled out the two men on the dance floor and asked us to leave… there were even other female couples doing the same thing,” Charlottetown bar patron

In an emailed statement to The Guardian, Cameron said he has been making numerous changes to the bar over the last few months in an effort to address problems they’ve had in the past with patrons acting inappropriately on the dance floor.

“My actions were performed as a business owner trying to make changes. Such overt behaviour would normally be reserved for the privacy of your bedroom,” he wrote in his statement.

“I did not ask them to leave. The couple were happily compliant at that time to honour my request, and as a sign of my gratitude towards them for honouring my request I bought them a drink in which they appreciated the gesture.”

Cameron went on to say he and members of his staff have since been inundated with messages containing personal attacks on social media sites as a result of this incident.

He stressed over and over he is not homophobic and is deeply disturbed at the vitriol Islanders have hurled at him based on one person’s Facebook post. That’s why he felt it necessary to deactivate Jack Cameron’s Facebook page.

“It’s regrettable that some people felt it necessary to make unwarranted, vulgar and sometimes hateful remarks voiced towards Jack Cameron’s staff in a public forum,” he wrote. “Right now I am concerned about the staff.”

But the two young men at the centre of this incident say they had no idea their post would garner the response it has.

“We just wanted to tell people and possibly get some kind of apology or empathy from the owner,” one of the men said. “But I definitely see it as discrimination.”

twright@theguardian.pe.ca

Organizations: The Guardian, Velvet Underground

Geographic location: Charlottetown, P.E.I.

Comments

Comments

• don
    December 14, 2012 - 09:35

so you are condemning those in need of food at this time of year how shameful on you all. you want people to treat you fair but yet i wonder how many of you get food from the soup kitchen or food banks? but remember this God will remember how you treat others in the days to come. what goes around comes around. and do onto others as you would do onto them. so before you open your big mouth think that you are hurting small kids by not helping the salvation army.so i am sure islanders will remember this as time goes on.and to me you are a DISGRACE to islanders for your CHILDISH ideas.

• Former Islander - Janet
    December 12, 2012 - 16:38

Wow, such venom, from both sides. I am a former Islander, and a lesbian. I cannot say that the Island "wasn't safe" from a physically threatening perspective, but neither did I feel free to throw open the closet door. I wasn't at the bar in question, and can only go by what I've read but whatever way you slice it, the bar owner was within his rights to ask this couple to stop necking on the dance floor. It's 2012, people are offended and being offended by PDAs is not reserved for "homophobes'. Perhaps the owner is in fact anti-gay, doesn't matter.. it's his place of business and it is a dance floor, not your own living room. I have seen things done in public by gays and straights that would put a dog off a gut wagon and both I'm sure would defend their right to behave in such a manner. It's not ok. As said by others, this type of nonsense paints all gays with the same brush and negates much of the postive strides that have been made over these many years. If you lads want to fight for gay rights I suggest you pick your battles.. when you've lost a job, or a place to live because you are gay.. then you'll know discrimination. Just because you wanted to get down and dirty in public and were shut down is NOT discrimination, it's someone excercising the good judgement that you both lacked.

• Laughing all the way
    December 12, 2012 - 12:29

Ah yes, the wonders of the internet!! Where little boys can hide behind aliases cloaked in anonymity, pretending to be someone they are not and fronting like they actually matter - JUST for the attention!!!

• Olivia
    December 12, 2012 - 12:16

I just want to say that I think the biggest hate-mongerer of this whole situation is the Guardian itself. I understand the importance of comments on a story, it helps generate conversation in the community and lets people voice their opinions on the issue. But when it comes to controversial stories like this one, and other stories I've seen on this website in the past, why do you enable the comments? All these comments have shown is that people are ignorant and rude behind a secret name, and that it doesn't matter what any of them post it's not a healthy discussion. It's simply just everyone spewing a bunch of crap on a controversial issue that really affects some peoples lives. The things being said on here, against Jack Cameron's and against gays, is uncalled for and a story of this nature shouldn't have comments enabled so people's discriminatory comments can be kept to themselves. The worst part? Your moderators are an outsourced company not even on this Island who basically let anything through that doesn't have a swear word or sexual reference. Shut the comments down Guardian its time, even though this comment probably won't even get approved.

• AMAZED
    December 12, 2012 - 10:59

No one should have to see grown men kissing in public.Get a room and keep it private .DISGUSTING.

• Don't ask Don't tell
    December 12, 2012 - 10:17

I am a young gay male, PEI is not a safe place for us. Having said that, there is nothing that bothers me more than a couple of queens shouting and acting all gay. There are a few types of gay men. One type is the drama queens that yell and scream that they are gay and do weird things with their hair, and ruin our image. Then there are people like me and my man, we love each other and support each other, we look and act normal. Please don't lump us in with these silly queens.

• Don't Know, Don't Judge
      December 12, 2012 - 15:18

I know both personally, and neither are "Queens" in any sense of that stereotype. They were gay men who were doing the exact same thing that many straight couples do on the dance floor. They felt singled out by management in this situation, solely for being a gay couple. Like you and your man, they love each other and support each other, and like you and your man, they were acting perfectly normal within the context of a night club.

• Hate everywhere.
      December 12, 2012 - 15:25

Based on some of the hateful comments in here, if they did that, they would probably have to leave PEI. They would become targets of hate and violence. PEI has disappointed me over and over again with the hate and discrimination that comes out. I used to be blind to it, and defended PEI as a loving and accepting province. After seeing the blatant bigotry that my gays friends and my international friends have faced living here, I can't do that.

• Christian
      October 31, 2013 - 22:29

Wow ! A gay who is homophobic ! That helps !!! Wow .

• Nut Cracker
    December 12, 2012 - 01:30

I guess the next step is a SIGN that says "No Making out on the Dance Floor" ,or in the bar . Big Problem is also Selling to much Liquor to each one indiviual .The crowd won't change there . I witnessed two girls fighting just on the corner there a few weeks back .Maybe they came from another bar just after 2 o'clock ,but I highly doubt it . Sad reality is it will always have a rough crowd there ,Like one other bar that is called a Cougar bar .Sometime a new decor doesn't change the living and breathing crowd within. I believe still making out in public is untasteful for all sexuality .We're not animals that can't control our needs .I think The so called new VU is trying to change ,but reality is Its Still more so a Hetro/breeder bar. The placed had a bad rap for a long Time,maybe it will honestly try to change its Rep.But giving what i heard and seen so far they need more work . But Slutty female bar staff at this bar and that new country isn't gonna up scale any buisness not unless your trying to be Hooters. Good luck I hope we all learned a life lesson from this .But I'm affraid P.E.I still is 20 yrs behind in the human rights issue .Compared to TORONTO ,Halifax,Moncton even the island doesn't have true gay friendly bar.Sad but true .

• generationacceptance
    December 11, 2012 - 20:28

Proud to say when our generation becomes old enough to be in charge of businesses, the government, etc this island will be filled with acceptance and happiness all we want is to have a good time so how about both sides talk about it, apologize and prevent future incidents. Everyone else have a beer and be good to each other you only live once!

• Grow up
    December 11, 2012 - 20:27

I agree with "some people's children". Im a gay man but the two should have known better. You don't go on like that in a public bar. Guys, in reality, the very thing you are trying to achieve (recognition, acceptance and non-hatred) you turn around and now bring hate on this owner, his staff and patrons. Had you done that perhaps in another type of bar in Charlottetown, the out come may not have been as fortunate....yes, fortunate! Feel fortunate that you were dealt with the way you were. Not only that, you set yourselves up as targets too. I'm gay myself so don't pull the "discrimination card" here. I think you knew full well what the reaction would be. Whether you're a gay or straight couple, there's a time and place for certain behaviour. Grow up!! You give gay people everywhere a bad "stereotypical" name. When you're done having your social media pity party YOU should apologize to Mr. Cameron for using his establishment to further your own personal agendas....cause face it guys, that's really what it was, wasn't it???

• Grown Up
      December 12, 2012 - 18:20

I'm disappointed that you have this story so wrong. These men aren't looking for a "pity party." They're not even the one's who started this. The public are the ones who spread the word around Facebook and alerted the media. The public, who has common sense, that is. These men, who I know personally, have remained quiet throughout the ordeal. It all started with a simple post, a truthful, and non-biased post. The public took it as far as it's gone and now pitiful people like you are putting your uneducated and uniformed two cents in.

• ugh..
      December 13, 2012 - 02:36

Shut up man

• dontworrybehappy
    December 11, 2012 - 20:15

how about both sides talk to each other and apologize. Forget about it,move on, prevent future incidents. Everyone else have a beer, a good time and be good to each other!

• queer
    December 11, 2012 - 17:57

it is queer behaviour - if you are going to do that in public , you are looking for problems - i am anti-gay -i think it is quite abnormal and i am allowed to have my opinion -go play your funny little games and don't bother people who don't agree with your desires -do what you want but don't tell me what to agree or disagree with-i used to know a girl who thought it was normal to be a prostitute

• Excuse me
      December 12, 2012 - 11:51

Sorry there "queer" but I'm anti-homophobic people and I think it's quite abnormal for people to discriminate against people who are born attracted to the same sex. I am allowed my opinion - go comment your disgusting bigotry somewhere else and don't bother people who don't agree with your outdated beliefs. Go climb inside a time machine and make your way to the present anytime now.

• Heterophobic
      August 14, 2014 - 12:45

I partially agree with you. it totally sicks me out when i see straight people kissing and grinding in public so much i want to vomit.

• Fred Simpson
    December 11, 2012 - 17:42

if these two guys want to have their issue heard in public, let them step forward and claim this issue. Hiding behind anonymity, screaming prejudice, and essentially hurting a local business - based solely on hearsay and opinion is irresponsible. state your names, stand before the cameras and newspapers you so desperately wish to be famous with, and air your grievance. They claim to be upstanding, responsible citizens. Act like ones.

• Simpson Fred
      December 12, 2012 - 18:30

Fred, have you ever thought that they are scared of people like you? You're like witch hunters in Salem, irrationally hunting down the innocent. Would you, if you knew your life was in danger, stand up in front a crowd to expose yourself to the flame? You fail to realize that they did not want this publicity. They mentioned it on Facebook and it went "viral". Society (the educated and rational portion) has released this beast because we had overly optimistic expectations about how forward we thinking PEI was. In reality, the vast majority of those posting on this forum, is participating in victim blame, not that I expect you to know anything about that sort of Psychological phenomena.

• Pier
    December 11, 2012 - 16:24

Society is in moral decay!

• Concerned citizen
    December 11, 2012 - 15:42

Thank you Gordie for trying to keep decency in a public place, we need a lot more of it. There are far too many loud, arrogant people demanding their rights while totally ignoring the rights of others.

• Haligonian
      December 11, 2012 - 17:22

Actually, as you have read, There were others same sex female couples and heterosexual doing the EXACT same thing on the dance floor. Also, all the couple did was mention exactly what happened on their facebook page, they have done no crying out or arrogant behavior whatsoever, doesn't surprise me that you may think that gay people would be dramatic, (another stereotype) they have also had vitriol hurled their way and are currently in fear of retaliation. "Gordie" as you call him (sounds like you must be friends) victimized this couple and then instead of apologizing got his back up and victimized them some saying that they were playing some sort of "card". Ridiculous. Very unfortunate, all they were looking for was an apology, they were hurt and insulted and have been further hurt and threatened since. Very disapointing.

• Anonymous
    December 11, 2012 - 15:24

I find it interesting that those who are defending the move are so concerned with saying it is unrelated to homophobia. Are so concerned with saying that the couple is just trying to create drama. Do you think that these two were the only ones doing that kind of thing that night? That everyone else was simply dancing-- at an establishment that is widely known for more raunchy behaviour? I think that we will stop calling this homophobia when there is proof that every other straight couple was asked to stop doing the same thing. Because we can whine about how disgusting all PDA is, but at the end of the day heterosexual sex is thrown in our faces 24/7 and there is very little complaint. When the occasional homosexual act is seen in a public place, we get all up in arms. Do not defend this bar if you cannot prove that every other couple was treated the same. Because if they were not, then this is discrimination. That's how it works. There were many, many more heterosexual couples in that bar in its run. How many were treated the same way?

• wayne weeks
    December 11, 2012 - 15:09

What one does in their own privacy and their bedroom is nobody's business other than them. But if you are gay or straight, the over indulgence of kissing and groping each other in a public place such as a bar or restaurant where there are other patrons, is disgusting and for straights to have to witness the gay people over indulgence, is revolting! Not homophobic! Homophobic, is a word the gay community coined to 'get back' at straights, it's name calling! labeling anybody that does not agree with their sexual homo-life style. Nearly all of us do not FEAR! gays so the PHOBIC label is a misnomer. The media have done much in promoting the misuse of the word. We may loathe their life style, hate or find it revolting but that does not mean it's a phobia (Unles it's a person, gay or straight, with known A.I.D.S. trying to kiss us) Maybe too many of the gay community have a heterosexual phobia ??

• Fred Simpson
    December 11, 2012 - 15:05

Based upon the story and the Facebook status that started the whole thing, it appears there are some generalizations being made. The status claimed it was a homophobic, discriminatory act to ask them to stop kissing. The owner says it was a matter of decency and decorum in an effort to keep the bar from becoming what the VU used to be. the fact he bought them a drink and encouraged them to stay underlines his point that discrimination was not the intent. I can't speak to the lack of action against straight couples and frankly if they crossed a line - gay or straight - that others did not, they should have been singled out. If you want to get drunk and slobber all over your partner, do so in the privacy of your home, car, or motel. Don't make others watch just because you need the attention. I have no sympathy, I just ask that you keep the rhetoric down to a dull roar.

• Okaytobegay but..
    December 11, 2012 - 14:40

As a gay man who is even aquatances with one of the two boys involved. I take the side of the bar owner. They were not just inecently kissing. I'm personally glad that he did ask them to stop. I have kissed my boyfriend in that bar and never once was I asked to stop. Sometimes it's not the being gay thing, it's the being not public appropriate. I personally like going there and have no plans to stop, it's fun, I always have a good time and someone else's stupid opinion of 'discrimination' isn't going to stop me.

• ShirlGirly
    December 11, 2012 - 14:28

I was at a bar in Summerside over the weekend and watched a Female and a Male being thrown out of the Bar for kissing. I watched the Owner send a Bouncer over and escort them to the door. I don't blame them, I don't care to watch what many go there for take place at the bar. Have a little class, drink ,dance and chat with friends, leave the rest for later people.

• some peoples children
    December 11, 2012 - 13:58

I am a straight, non-homophobic guy and I was there, these guys weren't just kissing they were full on making out hands up shirts and groping. Any self-respecting person would agree they were making a spectacle of themselves and am glad someone said something to them. I think its more than ridiculous what these 2 attention seeking kids are doing to a business and the owner. I'm a regular and although I can't say for certain I'm pretty sure some of his staff are gay. In my opinion everyone that’s crying about this don't have their facts straight or were bullied growing up trying to put some past vendetta of their own to rest. I’m sure bigotry is there if YOU want to find it but it’s 2012 and the majority of people have accepted gays or are too busy with their own life to care about what you’re doing. I’m sorry you got bullied growing up, I’m glad you feel accepted enough to be who you are and make out in public but be a man and take responsibility for your actions. You were being inappropriate in public place (define inappropriate: Full on making out, hand up shirt groping). Someone had to feel uncomfortable enough to tell you to stop and felt so bad about having to do so bought you a drink. Why throw it in their face by saying you were unfairly treated, got kicked out and calling gay rights? You’re proud enough to make out in a public bar but when you spread lies and slander a business you hide behind anonymity? If you’re looking for a new label you’re not gays, your jerks, way to take "gay rights" back a step. I think the couple owes Jack Cameron’s, the gay community and Prince Edward Island an apology.

• Skyler
      December 11, 2012 - 14:50

You are as full as the ignorance that leaks through your mouth. The only apology too be given is the owner of Jack Cameron's is too the couple. You can obviously tell by your wording that you are an anti-gay. I highly doubt you were there and your description is false.

• The Dirty
    December 11, 2012 - 13:16

This bar is pathetic!. Always was and always will be!. Sorry Gordie, but you don't want the rep of it being called "The Dirty" WELL. Hmmm lets see. Known facts. Street drugs, STERIODS!, being sold. Unless you are wearing bandaids on your nipples and a thong on your a** then you have full respect!. This bar is skanky, and will NEVER be a First class bar! NEVER. Two guys kissing is NOTHING!. Go down to the back corner of the bar thats where the porn is! LOL.. I was there over the summer for the first time in years. I watched two girls getting very familar with one another on the dance the floor, and getting pretty hot 'n heavy, were they asked to stop, NOPE!, I watched the bouncers pointing and laughing. Quite the reformation!...LOL.... hahahaa. Oh this place will always be known for the dirty, and not because of the gay community!.. Maybe the past owner. ahaha now new "Manager" HAHA made it that way!!....Pathetic!... My opinion Ch'town would be better off without this place!

• PEI liberation
    December 11, 2012 - 12:44

Lemme throw this out here. I'm putting the sexual discrimination aside. The Velvet is a buisiness on Prince Edward Island. A place where money is spent and earned. People work there to feed and warm themselves. What is going on right now could potentially cripple the joint. Over the acts of the manager/owner, do we really want to run the place down, take away the employees income? What's wrong with this island is that if the buisinesses that are independantly run shut down, it's just that many more people that have to leave our Island to seek employment in western provinces, leaving this island for the only the well off or the retired. It's small things like this that can break us as a province. Now moving on to the matter at hand. What we are doing is jumping to conclusions based on speculation by two oposing parties. "Bigot" says the couple. "Inapropriate" says the manager. What we need are more witnesses, possibly statements from other patrons to the bar, or perhaps the staff? We need to look at the facts and find the truth, the real truth rather than shuffling through the claims by both sides and picking what we seem to like the most. I'm an avid fan of equal rights, freedom of speech and more importantly the freedom of every human being to be happy. Every human being to be happy. Every human being has the right to be happy and comfortable with themselves. Homosexual relations and intamacy makes some people uncomfortable. I'm sure Heterosexual relations makes some Homosexual people uncomfortable. Perhaps the couple were making others in the bar uncomfortable with their passions? Perhaps the bar would have lost more customers due to the scene? who's to say how heated the couple's actions were? Homosexual or Heterosexual, they could have been getting obscene. On the other hand, perhaps it was just playful intamacy that led to them being asked to stop, and the actions of the management was unjustified. More information is required to determine this. So remember Ladies and Gents. Look at the whole picture and think about what is true before just jumping into the fray.

• Notta Rightscase
    December 11, 2012 - 12:29

This is great communications for Jack Cameron`s. Through this incident he has made the whole Island on notice that Jack Camerons is no longer the dirty anymore He wants this bar changed from what it has been to something that has been known as out of control and excessive to something where he can expand his clientelle to wider audience. No more excessive pda whether same sex or not. As for a human rights complaint, good luck. The owner and staff have the right to control the behaviour in the bar whether acceptable to the social convention or not. They have the right to refuse service and entry under the PEILC rules. This claim equates to a parton yelling they were drunker than I was why are you thowing me out? If private businesses were not allowed to do it, I would be able to get a membership at curves or my son would be able to join the girl guides or should I call them male phobic? Should I have a protest? It is also interesting the number of respondants calling it rights based to this story because it involves sexuallity and beverage alcohol. The response to a woman who was refused service to a business because it was not accessible was but a blip on the radar. No one filled Tim Horton's Facebook page with vitrol and threats. Maybe if she was kissing some one in the drive thru it would be different. Maybe if it was a beerstore drive thru it may have garnered a stronger response.

• Justine Thyme
      December 12, 2012 - 01:38

You must have missed my earlier post, on the Jack Cameron facebook page (which is now closed) the manager made the comment that he took over management 2 months ago, to find out why the bar had a poor reputation and to get rid of the "dirty" vibe, yet on the managers own page on facebook he offers $75 for the pic of the week @ the dirty. Calling the bar by the very reputation he is trying to, so call, remove. I am curious though, what rule under PEILC allows an establishment to refuse service to a male couple who are kissing?

• Grant
    December 11, 2012 - 12:10

Well, either way it won't be difficult to boycott a place I had no intention of setting foot in ever.

• Questions
    December 11, 2012 - 12:02

I have to ask myself, what would have happened if. 1. It was two voluptious(sp) woman making out, would he have stopped it? 2. What if he didn't do anything, and these two men got the pooped kicked out of the outside because some bigot was offended, whose liable then! "The Dirty" does have a reputation that needs to be corrected.

• your an idiot
      December 11, 2012 - 12:55

the people who BEAT them up would be responsible, if it was a black person and someone was threatening to beat him up if he didnt leave DONT YOU THINK it should be the person THREATING the safety of other HUMANS that should be asked to leave?

• Fed up with PEI stupidity
    December 11, 2012 - 11:42

I've experienced this type of bigotry on PEI. When I was at school, I got bullied by people just because the idiot rumor mill thought I was gay (I wasn't) and suffered a lot of extreme bullying for stuff which wasn't even true in the first place. I was VERY interested in the local girls, but they with their snotty little attitudes wouldn't even give me the time of day. No female in the town I was in would touch me with a ten foot pole, just because "they" decided that I wasn't worth anything. It was because of this type of small minded garbage that I left this redneck, close minded place for good. You just can't win no matter what you do!!!!

• SUPPORT FOR THE OWNER
    December 11, 2012 - 11:38

Have to support the owner here. This behavior can be offensive to too many people. Its not homophobic to enforce rules/policy, but people sure love to cry fowl. I will be sure to show my suport for this establishment in the future.

• Aaron
      December 11, 2012 - 13:27

You're not proud that the bar doesn't allow kissing. You're proud that the bar doesn't allow gay kissing because you think it's obscene. You're a bigot.

• Not right
    December 11, 2012 - 11:31

Hard to say whose story is the right one, but I don't think it's fair that this couple can call out and condemn a business, possibly threatening their livelihood, and stay anonymous themselves.

• Elle C
    December 11, 2012 - 11:28

A bar you can't kiss in? That's BS. PEI, where you can serve alcohol to excess, let people drive home drunk and potentially kill themselves or others, but heaven forbid someone kisses in a bar.

• good ol dirty
    December 11, 2012 - 11:23

This was never a problem with "old management" I've personally seen gay guys make out at the dirty on several occasions in the past, and sometimes they were even in heels and skirts (Oh no! The horror). Check out the globe, peakes in the summer, even hunters and you'll find intoxicated couples of all orientation, race and whatever other differences macking on each other like it's the end of the world. You can't feed people alcohol in inappropriate clothes and expect their hormones not to run wild.

• PRO-GLBT
    December 11, 2012 - 11:19

BEING ASKED TO GO ELSEWHERE WHEN YOU'RE BEING TOO INAPPROPRIATE IN A PUBLIC SETTING WHETHER YOU'RE GAY, BI, LESBIAN, TRANSGENDER, SHOULDN'T BE DISCRIMINATION. IF THIS WAS A "STRAIGHT" COUPLE WHO WAS ASKED TO STOP THEY WOULDN'T BE GOING PUBLIC ABOUT IT!

• Fact
      December 11, 2012 - 11:31

But a straight couple wouldn't be asked to stop. That's the point.

• Attention Seekers
    December 11, 2012 - 10:42

Please give me a break... discrimination? They were politely asked to stop making a spectacle of themselves and were bought a drink. Anyone who acts like a self absorbed fool in public - don't be suprised if you are asked to stop making an idiot out of yourself! I don't care what your orientation is...

• Greg
      December 11, 2012 - 14:58

But that's the point -- if they weren't gay, no one would have cared. It's a *BAR*. It's not uncommon to see people making out in a *BAR*.

• Justin
    December 11, 2012 - 10:37

I hope these guys are hiring a lawyer and going to the Human Rights. This kind of obvious bigotry and discrimination in 2012 is just plain disgusting. not to mention just imagine a bar owner of a late night dance bar saying kissing is NOt allwoed on the dance floor. What does he think the public just fell of the same turnip truck he did. His actions were clearly discrimination against these two guys because they were gay. I would hope Islanders would see this for what it is a bar that hates gays and wants nothing to with them. I know from growing up on PEI that islanders are not for moist part bigots and will NOT put up with this kind of discrimination. This bar need to put a sign out front and simply say NO GAYS ALLOWED because his actions speak louder then a sign ever could. I know it will be a cold day in you know where before I ever go back to this bar.

• Clever Forever
    December 11, 2012 - 10:31

Are the two gay men ashamed to let ther names out. A totally arrogant thing to do on the dance floor.If you two had any sense at all you would know better. SUE THEM JACK FOR DEFAMATION.

• Infinately Clever
      December 11, 2012 - 11:22

Actually, I think the two gay men are afraid of people like you. Considering the comments on here, I don't blame them for remaining anonymous.

• Hmmm
    December 11, 2012 - 10:30

Just wondering if the staff are still required to wear slutty uniforms?Pretty sure that attracts the dirty old men.

• WHERE IS THE LINE
    December 11, 2012 - 10:13

to OPINIONED, which way is okay with you. You say to identify gays as a community cheapens the community yet yoiu demand Gay parades when you dress like women, act totally inappropriate on the streets, ant hen have the gall to say that people are discriminating against you is unbelievable. I have gay and lesbien friends and you won't meet finer people but they are part of the community as a whole and not flaunting their themselves in the streets. kissing on dance floors regardless in gay or not only riles up some people when they have had to mush to drink. I commend the manage for stopping this in his establishment. When you let the customers dictate to the owners then you no longer have an establishment. People who don't like being civil can always go to a dump that will put up with their garbage.

• Guspacho Gonzalez
    December 11, 2012 - 10:07

Gordie must of known he was doing something wrong at the time. Since when does an owner take customers into a staff room and politely ask them to stop what they are doing, and then buy them a drink? I know that I have never been bought a drink by an owner for something that could get me kicked out. Perhaps I will go this weekend to make out with my girlfriend and then wait for my free drinks.

• reality check
    December 11, 2012 - 10:05

Anyone who thinks that Charlottetown will ever live down the days of the Playhouse and Morons... I mean Myrons.... is living in a dream world. A dream world where mullet-headed toothless hockey goon good ol boys from Charlottetown, Georgetown and Tignish don't bash each other's heads in out in the street at 2am and a dream world where girls don't get sexually assaulted each night they try to go out to dance with some friends. The old Velvet Underground won't change just because of some lipstick and mascara renovations and the rejection of straight & gay PDA.... Charlottetown and PEI as a whole are a very sick inbred uneducated society and it'll take a lot more than that to make a pig fly.

• Reality Cheque
      December 11, 2012 - 10:31

Wow, tell us what you really think next time! Good on you though, to hide behind a pen name whilst insulting everybody and painting all islanders with the same brush.

• Your Reality Checked
      December 11, 2012 - 11:21

When you say "Charlottetown and PEI as a whole are a very sick inbred uneducated society" one can only imagine you were referring to yourself.

• Rumour-monger
    December 11, 2012 - 09:47

I'm still wondering how this makes the news. People of different walks of life and orientation are constantly bullied all over PEI for one thing or another. When it's two gay men, oh, well let's report on THAT!

• duh
      December 11, 2012 - 10:50

I hate when people comment and say "what makes this news." All you people with big opinions and no guts who comment all over these things are what makes it news. We live in the smallest province in the country, whatever people are talking about is news around here because there is simply nothing else to be news.

• Nora Allen
    December 11, 2012 - 09:36

Good for the bar manager for doing what he did. With all the money that was put into renovating, it's only obvious that he is aiming for a "change of scenery". Out with the old and in with the new .. so goodbye "Dirty" and hello Jack Cameron's. Gay or straight, it was a good call Gordie :)

• Really?
      December 11, 2012 - 09:52

Nora - Open your eyes. The ultimatum of stop or you have to leave. Discrimination is one thing. Stupidity is another...

• OPINIONEDISLANDERWHOHAPPENSTOBEGAY
      December 11, 2012 - 10:41

You took my comment out of context. In considering all LGBTQ as a group or demographic, this specific behavior cheapens the community. Not cheapened only by the act OF grouping them together. And you're contradicting yourself by calling gay peers 'friends' when you clearly add concern of 'flaunting in the streets' or 'dressing like women' or demanding 'gay parades'. To be clear, and entertain your ignorance, I don't flaunt in streets, dress like a woman nor have I ever been in a parade. In fact, I'm very likely a friend of your friends. I invite gay individuals to demonstrate their professionalism, education and confidence, with ultimate intention to educate small minds like yours. You commend the management? There are one of two things true right here. Either A) You're secretly gay and resent yourself for it. or B) You are the owner, the owners friend or a staff member who wants to keep a job.

• AceofSpades
    December 11, 2012 - 09:33

This wouldn't be a issue anywhere else then in a Red- Neck Bar .I don't think making out on the dance floor should go on anywhere in Public,Str8 ,Gay ,Bi .(Woman on Woman).The problem is too much Drinking not enough thinking . People Should respect other peoples values .Theres no Class left in alot of young People ,The girls dress sluty ,the boys get loaded and in general they all act like Silly Adults .But look at music videos and the media ,Sex is exploded ,too much over load for the kids eyes . Let people be people ,But Respect yourself and have class when you go out . I don't want to see anyone making out in public cause its Ugly period .Gay, Str8,Bi ,Tri . Go Home take a cab ,play safe ,enjoy your adult activity were we can't see nor care who your doing .I think for the safety of those guys Maybe the bar owner wanted to keep Other meat Head men from causing trouble .We should all except everyone right to be themselves ,but there is a time and place for certain things . CHEERS

• Amused
    December 11, 2012 - 09:29

Personally, I don't want to see anyone making out when I go to a bar but in the end it IS just a bar!! Not the opera, not a school, not a church,..A BAR!!! Do I think these boys were singled out strictly because they were a gay couple? Hell yes!! Do I think the bar was being homophobic?? Probably not! With that said, I find it amusing that in hopes of cleaning up the image of the place , PDAs are forbidden and yet, .....Waitresses are walking about in skimpy outfits in hopes of selling more drinks/ making more tips (What is that if not a form of prostitution?). Bartenders are over selling (I have seen people who can barely walk or speak they are THAT drunk!!) And then there is the dance floor,..! I have never seen anything more lewd and suggestive than the way people dance / grind up against each other. Up until yesterday, one of their employees also advertised the fact that he worked at Jack's, on his FB page which was set up to promote his side business as an exotic dancer (nothing lewd, suggestive or questionable about that "classy" profession is there) I was monitoring Jack's page before they took it down,..and it was interesting to see how comments damning the place were being removed but comments that were filled with ignorant homobobic slurs remained. If they are going to implement rules that go outside the norm of most bars, then clearly post them for all to see and insure that they are meant for and followed by EVERYONE,..not just the people that make you uncomfortable!

• barney
      December 11, 2012 - 11:50

some of us are very embarerassed at this sort of conduct in public plases sorry. but i call it discusting

• Suprised
    December 11, 2012 - 09:28

The comments on here are disgusting and show a great deal of victim blame and arrogance. What do you honestly think goes on at a bar? Is it so shocking that people kiss there? Deep down you all know the truth ,many are just too arrogant to admit it. Calling them drama queens and underestimating their perspectives only communicates more heinous stereotypes. I'm truly disappointed to be an Islander.

• Stephen
    December 11, 2012 - 08:58

I agree with a lot of the comments on here. I little kiss here and there... no problem. Making out, show some respect. Gordie had a right to do what he did. The problem is, that he only did it because it was a male couple. We've all probably been in there and seen straight couples doing it. He'll, i've done it myself. We've all seen a female couple doing it and no one, including the owner, bat an eye. Because it was a male couple and people have this twisted idea that its unacceptable and could tarnish the reputation of the bar, he stopped it. What do they say? You can roll a pig in mud, but its still a pig. The classier name change on the outside doesnt change the business inside.

• Pathetic
    December 11, 2012 - 08:57

Drama queens. Nothing more.

• Confused
    December 11, 2012 - 08:37

In one paragraph it states that Cameron bought them a drink, but they gave the drinks to friends and left the bar. Later in the article it says Cameron bought them a drink and they appreciated the gesture. Giving away the free drinks and walking out of the bar doesn't seem like they appreciated the gesture very much. I'm going to go to Jack Camerons this weekend make out with a girl and see if I get spoken to, I doubt it.

• Unbelievable
    December 11, 2012 - 08:22

This story is no different from the Liberal Party's staff functions and nobody gets asked to leave.

• Edith Baker
      December 11, 2012 - 09:07

My opinion is... they should take the word "discrimination" out of all dictionaries, seems its used way too often, for situations, that are absolutely inappropriate.....it just causes way to much controversy, come on guys you were acting inappropriately, now own up to it.....

• Flo
    December 11, 2012 - 08:15

There is no need for anyone kissing on a bar whether they be gay or straight. We do have hotels for that so lijectge old saying goes"get a room".

• FerryJerry
    December 11, 2012 - 07:57

Does anyone else feel a dance off coming out of all this?

• Herman
    December 11, 2012 - 07:56

Well considering on of the bar's manager is Gay himself , I don't see how they could say these lies. Now what about Ladies night? That is also discrimination but we don't complain about that do we.

• No Neck
    December 11, 2012 - 07:52

There goes your neiborhood GORDIE ,LONG LIVE THE DIRTY

• grapes
    December 11, 2012 - 07:48

Charlottetown,can be a little behind the world,two guys kissing on the dance floor,could get assaulted. Bars around town get a little rough,be careful. Somethings like kissing (sucking face)should be kept private,mf,mm,ff. A gentle kiss is fine.

• sid
    December 11, 2012 - 06:46

2 men kissing is gross and disgusting. IMO!!! but this was business and acts of pda should be reserved for behind closed doors. theses dudes sound like pussys looking to have their cake and eat it too. who wants to see that? yuck!

• disgusting
      December 11, 2012 - 11:09

Hey there SID, it's discriminatory jerks like you that sensationalize big stories like this by putting in your ignorant two cents in that the intelligent people don't care about. I'm disgusted by the homophobic nature of some of these comments.

• My Two Cents
    December 11, 2012 - 06:39

Some things never change, this place will always be known as "The Dirty" for many reasons!!! No need of anyone sucking face in an eatery or bar, save it for afterwards hetro or gay. I peck is one thing, sucking ones face off is another!

• That's going to take some work . . .
    December 11, 2012 - 06:23

There's no doubt I'm a tad homophobic. However, I don't own a business that makes that "tad" publicly visible. Maybe my type of homophobia really deserves a better name - something like man-on-man creepyitist? Lesbians displaying public affection don't seem to bother me unless they are manly. Am I sick? Well, not more sick than the society I live in, but that's no excuse. Nope, I better not let my sense of aesthetics undermine my live and let live attitude. That's going to take some work . . .

• bar hop
    December 11, 2012 - 06:19

I think if your going to make out go home no one wants to see that , gay , strait , guy , girl whatever take home and get at it there not down town on the dance flood

• grampie
    December 11, 2012 - 05:58

The bar manager had the right to do what he did period. It is his place of business.

• Justine Thyme
      December 11, 2012 - 11:29

No, he did not have the right, just like the bed and breakfast a few years ago who refused renting to a gay couple because it was against their beliefs was wrong and a ruling was made stating they either rent to everyone or close. So, they closed.

• Jimmy
    December 11, 2012 - 05:33

I dont blame him for asking them to stop. If he doesnt want his bar to be known as a bar that you can go watch to men kiss then he doesnt have to. In the article it says he bought them a drink after he told them to stop kissing....that doesnt sound like something you would do if you just asked them to leave. I think the gay guy just got caught in his own lie. If I was the owner, I would sue these two homosexuals on the defamation of character.

• mr.nobody
    December 11, 2012 - 05:29

mr......nobody cares.

• kyle
    December 11, 2012 - 03:43

One should always respect the environment you are in. This is more so when liquor is being freely imbibed. The issue is public order.The management was prudent to request discrete behavior. I find it risible that one of these dunderheads, who swaps spit in public with another guy, will only talk without being identified. What is he hiding? Who doesn't know? His actions are too public to be private. When someone wants to be "offended" they will be.

• Justine Thyme
    December 11, 2012 - 03:16

On the Jack Cameron facebook page (which is now closed) the manager made the comment that he took over management 2 months ago, to find out why the bar had a poor reputation and to get rid of the "dirty" vibe, yet on the managers own page on facebook he offers $75 for the pic of the week @ the dirty. Calling the bar by the very reputation he is trying to, so call, remove.

• david
    December 11, 2012 - 00:14

It is obvious the bar owner has crossed the line of decency and bigotry when he tells a gay couple to stop kissing. However he lets male/female or female/female couples kiss all the want and at times do things much worse. I hope the guys have a lawyer and are preparing a court case. I am not a big supporter of gay marriage but i don't like opeople who are mistreated in this day and age just because they maybe gay. The behavior of the bar owner is completely offensive and he should face some serious consequences for his obvious bigotry. What next will he be asking black people or asians not be in his bar? In this day and age people like this bar owner can NOT be allowed to promote this kind of bogotry.

• Daddy D
    December 11, 2012 - 00:12

I have recently seen them ask straight couples to stop making out as well. Although I found it odd, it makes sense now. I applaud the attempt to re-focus his business. This is not as one side as everyone is making this out to be.

• Mell
    December 10, 2012 - 23:49

Sounds to me like it is a place to avoid!

• Big&Peachy
    December 10, 2012 - 23:48

Stopping two people from excessive PDA doesn't imply that it is homophobic. The fact that they're gay shouldn't matter. They aren't in junior high anymore and they were asked to stop. Just because some people are caught making out doesn't mean it is discriminatory. The details that were initially uploaded onto facebook seem to have become increasingly more exaggerated as it became reposted and commented on with very little critical examination into the situation at all. It is still unclear beyond a reasonable doubt that discrimination actually occurred. The source came from a couple that were already in the wrong - it doesn't matter if there is a rule against making out - it is definitely breaking a social norm. I could go into the library and fart up a storm - its not against any policies; but it is certainly obnoxious and if im asked to stop politely - im not going to use the form a sensitivity bias as an excuse for why I was asked to stop. Im sure there are lots of library farters out there, probably serial farters, and yeah they may get away with it, but i doubt it is because of their sexual orientations. Part of the problem was that this escalated so quickly on social media sites largely, because the couple are popular and well liked and this turned into a moral crusade out of what seemed like a very minor incident. The initial facebook post did not mention Cameron buying them drinks either. I actually think he tried to handle the situation professionally. It is too bad that sometimes an intention can be perceived very differently. For the sake of the couple I hope it wasn't discrimination and it is really too bad that the parties involved couldn't have worked this out before it exploded on social media sites.

• Anonymous
    December 10, 2012 - 23:46

Sorry, but I was there, and I feel like the two guys took advantage of the situation and decided to scream DISCRIMINATION, especially since someone posted a picture on facebook the next day of one of the guys in question calling the person a fat cow and to burn in hell. HOW can you say you were discriminated against and then turn around and tell someone they are a fat cow and to burn in hell??

• truth be told
      December 11, 2012 - 21:17

liar

• BarGoer
    December 10, 2012 - 23:25

The actions of the bar were discriminatory, but I would hate to think what would happen with the clientèle of the bar would have done. There's no doubt in my mind that some people might have turned violent towards them if it continued. Whether the actions of the bar were gay unfriendly isn't really the point (which they were), it's that the culture of patrons of Jack Cameron's, but moreso PEI in general has towards the homosexual community on PEI is discriminatory. As a collective, PEI need to step into this century.

• OpinionedIslandWhoHappensToBeGay
      December 11, 2012 - 09:06

Bargoer - "PEI needs to step into this century"? Give me a break. There's so many of these subtle comments challenging PEI and Islanders, when it's simply nothing less than isolating a subject to place some blame on. Tell us, you obviously wise and all-knowing person, the plan of action you have to help educate us all. I’m openly and confidently gay in PEI, have a GREAT life, do not hide or downplay it, but also do not need a soap box to preach it. Anyone who would make out like in public are asking for attention for the wrong reasons. There was no doubt a level of discrimination at play. I don’t doubt that they were causing a scene, as I would also notice a guy-girl acting so heavily just as unnecessary. The bar owner didn’t carry it out right, but who really cares, the quality of your establishment (including owners/managers) attracts a particularly quality of clientele. I’ll let everyone make their own judgments of quality on that place. Don’t be uneasy with this behavior from gay guys at your bar, be uneasy with this behavior by anyone at all at your bar. It’s a club, not a brothel. I’m all for equal rights, and eliminating stereotypes and stigma. I’m actually very passionate about it. But if you want to fight the discrimination battle, making out in a place like this, and spewing irrational and not even punctual statements over social media is not the way to do it. To identify gay people as a ‘community’ – this cheapens the community. Let’s see the maturity and professionalism - an effort of displaying mature, educated, professional and down-to-earth gay people going about life like everybody else. No need to hide or feel suppressed, just feel confident in yourself, do good, and carry on. These kind of ‘bar-scene’ or social media outputs fueled by nothing but emotion achieve only one thing – a counterproductive action towards the elimination of stigma. We’re all of some sexual orientation, just don’t let that be all that defines you. Recognize the arena that society plays in, and when you’re ready to take on something like discrimination, do it the right way. I’m not upset with the bar, who gives a shit about the bar. I’m not upset with the guys either, alcohol was at play and it’s a casual social setting, but coming out of this, I invite them to recognize the bigger picture.