UPDATE: All of P.E.I. now expected to receive 5 to 10 cm of snow, ice pellets before changing to rain

Wayne Thibodeau

Charlottetown streets could look like this Monday afternoon before the snow and ice pellets change to rain. Guardian file photo.

Prince Edward Island's first storm of the season promises to deliver a little bit of everything today – starting off with snow, changing to ice pellets, then freezing rain and eventually to rain.

That has prompted Environment Canada to issue a special weather statement for the Island.

A low pressure system over the Great Lakes Sunday evening was expected to push its way into the Maritimes on Monday. A warm front associated with this system will cross the Bay of Fundy Monday afternoon with precipitation beginning over the Island near noon.

Precipitation will start as snow and change to ice pellets in the afternoon and to rain Monday evening.

Rain will continue overnight and into Tuesday morning.

About 5 to 10 centimetres of snow and ice pellets are expected before the change over occurs.

Initially, forecasts were saying up to 15 centimetres of snow was possible in Prince County.

However, that was reduced to 5 to 10 centimetres late Sunday putting Prince County's snowfall in the same range as the rest of the province.

About 10 to 15 millimetres of rain is expected overnight Monday with fog patches. Winds will be southeast 30 km/h becoming south 30 gusting to 50 late in the evening. Temperatures near zero to start the day will rise to plus 10 by morning.

Environment Canada is urging the public to monitor forecasts on Monday as warnings may be required.

CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST P.E.I. WEATHER FORECAST

We will have more on this story throughout the day. Check back to this story for updates.Then on Monday, send us your storm pictures. We'd love to see them. newsroom@theguardian.pe.ca

Organizations: Environment Canada

Geographic location: Prince Edward Island, Great Lakes, Bay of Fundy Prince Kings New Brunswick

Comments

Comments

• Captain Canuck
    December 10, 2012 - 17:12

Oh, hey, you people haven't as much as scratched the surface. I'm the grammar, spelling and metaphor "knotsy" (because I won't spell that word correctly on-line) in these parts! I'll pick you all apart in English usage. Why? Because it's a snow day and I don't have a lot to do. I find nothing wrong with anything posted here because I understand what each and every one of you wrote. I'd love to pick on you, but it isn't as meaningless as you can get. I've seen much more petty tripe than that posted here by myself and most of you.

• Everett
    December 10, 2012 - 05:28

ha ha I just love PEI. The only place I know of that a weather story and turns the story into a grammar test. PS Please don't stop inserting comments it a good source of entertainment in the mornings.

• Adolphus
    December 09, 2012 - 21:26

Piet - what's a 'cap F and a cap M'?

• Piet Hein
      December 10, 2012 - 00:06

Adolphus, you must be joking!

• don
    December 09, 2012 - 20:51

Frank this is what you should have posted. From away, you are not going to dong any extra driving, maybe you should use the extra time to learn how to spell !!!!!!!!! .. i know i make mistakes but spell check work. but i have seen teachers make mistakes.

• city resident
    December 09, 2012 - 20:43

I wonder if the schools will be closed tomorrow as the students and teachers haven't had a day off from school for a storm yet ? They have to use them all up .

• babanne
    December 09, 2012 - 19:11

From away also - sounds like PEI will have a White Christmas altho it is early & could be gone by then. Wish we would get some snow also - as a former Islander, I always loved Snow for Christmas & it never failed, especially when I was a kid growing up. Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas & Health & Happiness in the New Year - oh, I forgot to mention "Wealth" which would be ok too.

• BigFrog
    December 09, 2012 - 16:16

Close the schools, sounds like a big one followed by 15mm of rain. Tuesday it's suppose to be a high of 7. Some storm!!!

• Ulfric
    December 09, 2012 - 12:41

Might wanna mention the parking bad has been reinstated.

• Ulfric
      December 09, 2012 - 14:02

*ban* lol...not a good day for spelling around here...

• David
      December 09, 2012 - 14:56

The parking ban has always has been in place it never was removed, Charlottetown was just thinking about implementing a policy such as Halifax but hasn't yet.

• Frank
    December 09, 2012 - 12:09

fromaway, You are not going to dong any extra driving,Maybe you should use the extra time to learn how to spell !!!!!!!!!

• Kid
      December 09, 2012 - 12:14

A simple typo. Relax

• Kiddd
      December 09, 2012 - 12:16

Nice punctuation, frank

• Piet Hein
      December 09, 2012 - 12:18

Frank, let's check your post. From away should have a cap F. In your post it is a small f. You should have begun the next sentence with "If you...". I don't think the comma after driving is necessary and maybe should be a small m, but you made it a cap M. I won't even mention all those exclamation marks. Now, what is that old saying about people who live in glass houses?

• Ruth
      December 09, 2012 - 12:36

Oh, and Frank? I believe you spelled "doing" incorrectly. I mean really....do you now see how easily mistakes are made? I'ts a comment blog, not an English exam. Get over yourself and drive safe tomorrow! :)

• never ends
      December 09, 2012 - 20:36

Annoying.

• LA
      December 09, 2012 - 21:33

You can go with him and learn how to punctuate. His seems to be a mere typo, yours seems to be a lack of ability.

• Kumbel
    December 09, 2012 - 11:48

Snow, snow, snow.....one more winter to enjoy before we have to go

• Eco nut
    December 09, 2012 - 11:44

Ha so much for man made global warming LOL. I'm still waiting for my Florida winters.

• LA
      December 09, 2012 - 21:30

It's long past since time that even deniers understand that global warming does not preclude cold. It's a fairly simple concept, I'm not sure why you thought you were being cute or clever.

• Piet Hein
    December 09, 2012 - 11:38

Run for your lives!!!!!

• fromaway
    December 09, 2012 - 11:31

Well looks like I will be not dong any extra driving in that weather tomorrow. Hope other Islanders adopt this idea too!

• sandra
      December 09, 2012 - 20:41

Are you guys serious? Nothing better to do than pick apart people's grammar? You must be really bored!