VIDEO NOW POSTED: PC Leader Olive Crane resigns

Teresa Wright

Progressive Conservative Leader Olive Crane announced today she is resigning from her role as leader.

Joined by P.E.I. PC party president Blake Doyle and her PC Opposition caucus, Crane told reporters during an impromptu noon press conference today she will be stepping down as party leader, effective Jan. 30, 2013.

“I’m the type of leader that I’ve always believed in doing things the right way and in the best interest of Islanders,” she said.

“I gave my word to people for a long while, actually twice, that if I felt the party’s interests would be served better with a new leader, then I would make that decision. And that’s what I’ve decided to do.”

Crane says she will stay on as MLA for Morell-Mermaid and an interim leader will be elected in the New Year.

Her announcement came just one hour after new polling data showing her party has lost four percentage points among those polled and Crane lost five percentage points in the question of which leader Islanders would like to see as premier. She now sits at just three points ahead of newly elected NDP Leader Mike Redmond.

But Crane said the poll was not the main reason she made this announcement today.

“It’s a good time to turn the leadership over to somebody else,” she said.

Despite this announcement, Crane said she feels positive.

“I’m proud of the work I’ve done.”

Crane added she plans to run again in the next election.

The Guardian will continue to cover this developing story. More to come...

Organizations: P.E.I. Progressive Conservative Party, Crane's

Comments

Comments

• Ghiz Supporter
    December 05, 2012 - 22:05

Typical Island way. Whining, crying and blaming everybody except themseves for their own problems. Blame yourselves for your own lives not the Governent.

• captain Canuck
    December 05, 2012 - 20:04

Kudos to those of you who are showing Olive support. You truly believe she is best for the party. You are however very wrong. We liberals are looking to vote against Robert Ghiz and we cannot give Olive that vote. Now we have a chance to boot him. And to you, ABOUTTIME, You have shown that you should not have the vote. Indira Ghandi, Golda Maier, Pratibha Patil, Margaret thatcher, Angela Merkel, the 20 wold leaders who are women, etc are all more capable people than the likes of you. If you have any shame - your head should hang in it.

• captain Canuck
    December 05, 2012 - 19:55

• Robot Gizz
    December 05, 2012 - 19:52

Oh my! This is bad for PEI. The only straight shooter left. The Island working poor are going to be beat down,stepped on,chewed up,and spit out. The rich have no-one watching over them now and you can be sure the rats will be comming out of the wood work for the last few hand-outs . God help you all. That flight to The west can't come soon enough. Its not much better there but a change of hand cuffs at least gives a bit of relief!

• Three Stooges
    December 05, 2012 - 19:32

Yes it is good news, It is time indeed. Now with a little luck Myers and Lavie will follow the lead and apply to Tim Hortons[ Myers would need to go to charm school first tho]

• Belfast Guy
    December 05, 2012 - 19:18

I am deeply saddened by the resignation of the PC Leader, Olive Crane, she is the best thing that has happened to rural PEI since Confederation. Ghiz is only the premier of Charlottetown. I do not understand why the very people she was fighting for would not support her, you wouldn't expect the backroom crowd from the law firms of Charlottetown to support anyone, other than one of their own, but the rural folks had a saviour in Olive. What idiot is conducting these polls, must have been given the liberal party's membership list to make the calls.

• Albert "Robby" McRobb
    December 05, 2012 - 19:05

Farewell to a Great Leader. You and You alone dear Olive have had the Ghizites on the ropes. Scandals too many to mention, waste and deficits far too many to mention. The sad part is that you have been downtrodden by so called Conservatives and also by the Ghizites. Olive you depart with your head held high. I wish you all the best in whatever direction your life may take. I for one would not rule out you running with Gail Shea next Federal election. A more Dynamic Duo I cannot imagine in parliament. Thankyou from the bottom of my Tory heart. Thankyou for your dedication and service to both PEI and to Canada. God Bless.

• the Goose
    December 05, 2012 - 18:58

The new President of the PC Party will find someone to lead the Party. It isn't fair the comments that are going in here about James. He wouldn't dare put his name forward. He is/was Mike Curries yes-man and is there because he beat Parkdale Doris. The Liberals never wanted her there and threw her out for slaughter. Stratford will go red in the next election when Coops offers or will go NDP. What is needed is an experienced business person who has no ties to the backroom. (Blake, any chance of switching to a political seat rather than a backroom planner?) If not, go get er Coop! the Gooser

• Joe Blow
    December 05, 2012 - 18:54

Olive done a fine job against a majority government that refuse to listen to the public, let alone the opposition! She was and honest person and she fought as hard as she could for the issues that Islanders were concerned about. Whoever was polled obviously were Liberals and back room PC boys because if the poll had asked True Islanders....she would have had more support than Ghiz has....so there are some obvious flaws with this poll. Anyways....the back room boys got their way....they won't have to worry about PNP until NDP's Mike Redmond wins the next election and uncovers all of the Liberals filthy work. I hope the Island goes completely Orange in the next election!!! I can't wait for it to happen. The only people that will be voting Liberal are the people who got patronage money from Ghiz and Sheridan.....the rest of the Island needs to vote NDP and catch up to the rest of the country!! We cannot continue to be Liberal when the Conservatives and NDP are running the Federal show and we cannot be PC when the Liberals are running the Fed show. We need to vote NDP because NDP is taking storm across Canada and if PEI wants to have any support from the Fed....they will be the same color as Federal power is. Looks like Jason Lee will be the next PC leader and we all know nobody on PEI is going to vote for another Premier's son....we done that once and now look at the mess we're in....lets not make the same mistake twice. Great work Olive....you will be sorely missed. Your honesty was greatly appreciated...just too bad you didn't get the chance to have more power.

• mac
    December 05, 2012 - 18:46

If Olive was off to the Senate, I would say, good on her, --- she is at least as deserving as the parasites we have there now, ---- and would that ever make all you mean spirited people out there jalous..

• nick
    December 05, 2012 - 18:42

I am so sorry to witness my fellow Islanders be such a collection of graceless, heartless ingrates. Shame on you all. Olive Crane was elected in our democracy, she as the Leader of the Official Opposition, again part of our democracy. From where I sit, she did her darndest in that job, with her small number of members of her party. We owe her a thank you for offering to serve, and suffering constant undesvered abuse and belittlement by the Leader of the Liberal party. I am not a member of any party, but I do believe in common decency, --- and Olive is deservring of thanks from us all.

• rudy
    December 05, 2012 - 18:32

I am impressed by Olives grace when announcing her resignation. It is in amazing contrast to the ignorant frenzy that is appearing here in these bloggs. People, you did not deserve Olive, - I am not sure you deserve anybody or anything, but waste and high taxes. An old saying comes to mind and is so fitting here.: DON'T THROW PEARLS BEFORE SWINE----

• paul
    December 05, 2012 - 18:27

Olive is an honest person and I guess if that is on your list ,it does not make you a good political person. She put the party first and went out on her terms . As for the RED crooks , , you are THE WORST EVER in this province to govern . Do whatever you want , get us so far in debt that we a forced into the biggest tax grab EVER. The next election can not come quick enough. Anyone who would vote for this bunch after the past 5 years of BS, must have been sleeping for most of it.

• redman
    December 05, 2012 - 18:26

Darn it all we have lost a great leader,,let's all get behind Steven Myers to run as we need someone from Kings County area to lead us into the next election

• oberts
    December 05, 2012 - 18:25

As a person from away I have been faacinated by Islanders and their political behavior. I think I figured it out, - I believe Islanders as whole, are a bunch of shallow, ignorant, selfconscious, hero/wealth worshipping, jalous, graceless, mean and vicious people anywhere - talk about gentle island, what a misnomer ---- . Thank you Olive for your service, you did your best facing Mr. Ghiz and his government's disrepect or you and your position as Leader of the Opposition. I wish you well.

• voter
    December 05, 2012 - 18:16

how about Kim Campbell or Joe Btfsplk or maybe Noclass Guergis , even bring back Margaret Thatcher , Miss Prissy or even Miss Piggy --Also ,i hear a of the local lawyers who led the mutiny are looking for better pork

• That's It
    December 05, 2012 - 17:35

The Island is done , the only chance we had is resigning & any replacement the backroom boy's put there will just be a carbon copy of the present goverment . I just can't seem to get around how stupid Islanders are showing themselves to be . I will no longer vote unless it is in Maritime Union & these crooks are gone . Anyone that complains now , should just shut up & take whatever is dished out to them . They asked for it over & over again .

• spud
    December 05, 2012 - 17:10

Hi HO HI HO it's off to the Senate i go!!! Move over Mike........wink wink.

• Now If Only
    December 05, 2012 - 16:43

What could make this news better for Islanders and the PC party? If Steven Myers resigned too. He is a bully, and I am so tired of listening to his loud obnoxious rants.His accusations (like Cranes) with no apologies when proved wrong. Thank goodness he is not in my riding as the PC party would lose a vote for sure.

• Karl Proude
      December 05, 2012 - 17:04

Well now I know the two parties that I will not vote for in the near future. Thank you Olive for your fight and effort put forward....I just turn sick to my stomach when I start thinking and talking about our local politics...

• John MacInnis
    December 05, 2012 - 16:14

Got a couple of ideas for another conservative government on the Island, and I think the word "progressive" needs to be dropped from the party name, because "progressive" means "liberal", and I think the party should find a woman who's like Margaret Thatcher. I thought Pat Mella was Thatcheresque, and I really used to enjoy what she had to say about this and that. The Island is in big trouble with the deficit and debt, and a premier with fiscal savvy is desperately needed.

• SWEET, Olive, SWEET
    December 05, 2012 - 16:13

Well done, Olive. You have just won an Academy Award for political strategy something the rest of the Island politicians confuse with back room strategy. Not only did you beat the Liberal PNPers but you beat the Conservative Back Room Boys at what they do best. Now they no longer have a whipping post it will be interesting to see how they plan to beat Mike Redmond and the NDP.

• SG
    December 05, 2012 - 16:06

Nora MacDonald - (.......I guess now we will all just let the Ghiz government do whatever they want to do without a fight......lets all roll over and play dead.) What did Olive do to change that scenerio? The PC Party didn't have and still don't have enough Voting Members to change anything including the HST! Our Island needs an Opposition that has the Power to actually make a difference. If the PC Party doesn't provide a Real Winner of a Leader for the next Election Islanders may be voting NDP if their Leader starts to show promise which hasn't occured so far.

• d from queens
    December 05, 2012 - 16:01

Olive is an honest person and politician. seems for the most part people don t want honesty. Larry Mc guire stood up at his nominating meeting said what really happens in his party was applaued by the leader and other liberal members and the next week got thrown out for it.

• Too late stating my thoughts
    December 05, 2012 - 15:50

I respected Olive Crane for her honestly, compassion and work ethic. I don't respect those in the PC back rooms who could not accept that their shiny candidates could not win the support of Island conservatives via normal democratic votes at meetings. Instead, they undermined her and did not step up, even when it meant hurting the Conservative Party overall. They cut of their noses to spite their faces. Olive: hold your head up high, and know that, to this ordinary Islander, your efforts were greatly appreciated. I wish I'd made a comment earlier, but I don't normally do the online comments. Enjoy the more relaxed pace, and let's all hope to heavens that a reasonable successor is found - ie. not a shiny golden candidate of the background boys.

• Liberal Supporter
    December 05, 2012 - 15:45

Let me guess-James Alyward will seek the leadership! HAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

• First time Commenter
    December 05, 2012 - 15:20

ABOUTTIME- What a despicable thing to say. You should be ashamed of yourself, I know I certainly am ashamed of you. A comment like that would suggest your parents should also be ashamed of you. It is people like you that keep PEI in the dark ages.

• Victory
    December 05, 2012 - 15:07

Her victory over the back room boys was an importent one.She made the decision to go...not a bunch of backstabbers.She will continue to make a valuable contribution to Island politics.She promised a year ago that she would put the party first.Too bad some could not wait.They must be proud.She put the Party before herself...Too bad the backstabbers would not do the same.

• Janet Gaudet
    December 05, 2012 - 14:53

I have great respect for Olive and am very sorry that she resigned. I don't have much respect for the people in her own party who didn't support her. She's worked tirelessly for Islanders and is honest, hard working, and straightforward about everything. I think that the way she's been treated by people in her own party who couldn't wait to get rid of her as leader should have left the party, and given up their memberships. They were like sharks at a feeding frenzy. What they did to Olive was a hatchet job.

• Donnie
    December 05, 2012 - 14:28

Good, they may have a chance at the next election now. I don't think Bobby Ghiz can do any more to help them win it, but maybe if he really tries hard....

• aongasha
    December 05, 2012 - 14:14

Duffy and the back room boys win. Business as usual and no more PNP investigatrions.

• Checker
    December 05, 2012 - 14:01

Wonderful. There goes the only moral compass in government. The weasels will be coming out now, some are already there. The old boy conservatives are no different than the Liberals, only interested in filling their own pockets.How much is the membership for the NDP.

• SURPRISED
    December 05, 2012 - 14:01

I for one do not put to much emphasis into these so called polls. It was stated; The poll results are based on a sample of 600 Islanders, conducted between Nov. 8 and Dec. 1, 2012 with overall results accurate to within plus or minus four percentage points, 95 times out of 100. Is anyone actually going to disclose how they would vote if an election were called tomorrow? I think not and am certain most would agree with me. I for one will stand beside the person that stands beside the people of PEI. I do see where the NDP is gaining strength in numbers and rightfully so. Islanders are very tired of the back room politics, we are looking for a party with morals and values. A party who will govern this province with honesty and integrity I am confident that Ms Crane will be rewarded for her time and services she provided as a leader and rightfully so.

• LOL
    December 05, 2012 - 13:52

Finally a good news story that makes me smile. Depending on who now becomes leader will depend on if they get my vote!!

• Cornwall Dude
    December 05, 2012 - 13:50

See, James Aylward always gets his way.

• diccouraged
    December 05, 2012 - 13:48

You did a great job,Olive,and you have nothing to be ashamed about. Ghizzy is too busy having kids. I wonder if he even knows you resigned. Too bad he wouldn't look after the affairs of the Island instead of getting his mug in the paper re kids and a moustache. Best of luck in the future,Olive. We will see you at the dinner on Friday.

• Circled Square
    December 05, 2012 - 13:18

I believe those who could not realize her honesty, effort and sincerity are blinded for one reason or another. Unfortunately this severely broken political system does not serve the people but rather those of greed and dishonor. Through her efforts, she has exposed this same lining exists in both major parties. I would strongly encourage her to part ways from the PC party along with those who also carry her righteousness. Is the NDP party currently void of back room sleuths? If so, they will no doubt attempt to make presence at some time if they see opportunity. The options seem limited but she is much too valuable to lose during a time when people of her integrity are needed most.

• Rural Islander
    December 05, 2012 - 12:59

I'm sure the Tories will take someone from Charlottetown with money and power to run...just what the Province and especially Rural PEI needs.

• jibjab
    December 05, 2012 - 12:57

This is too bad. I feel as if we are losing our most honest politician in decades. This is a loss to all Islanders.

• At Last
    December 05, 2012 - 12:45

Olive Crane almost single-handedly soured the tone of political debade in the province, offered only negativity, and reflected poorly on all Islanders. To her, the currency of politics was innuendo, and rumour. She tried to gain followers by casting doubt on others through speculation and negativity. She never came forth with a political agenda of her own. She never grasped the fact that opposition's job is not to oppose everything, but to offer an alternative in return. She said she held values, and used all the right words, but what she really cared about was any issue that could agitate people in a negative way. Foreigners, and foreign money were a favourite, since she could be negative about these without alienating any Islanders, so she thought. She preyed on negativity, tried to lead throguh creating division, and in the end, she even divided her own party. The People of Prince Edward Island showed through successibe polls that this does not represent the values of Islanders. We expect principled politics. We expect leadership that motivates in a positive way towards a bright future. No leader should make anyone feel ashamed, but that was her greatest talent. Let's all stand tall and proud that we did not tolerate Olive Crane trying to import dark politics to our Island. Goodbye, Ms Crane, and good riddance.

• Janet McDonald
      December 05, 2012 - 14:54

Talk about negative; You "At Last" take the Cake!!

• Dan
    December 05, 2012 - 12:22

WOW, a good friend told me that the "good old boys" would have the knives out for her over the PNP scandal that she fought to disclose. How right she was! Sorry Olive, doing the right thing is not always popular, especially when your supporters would much rather keep information deeply hidden from public view. But thank you for your efforts in exposing at least part of this scandal. I would bet that no other politician will be willing to take it on, so PNP will be destined to die a quiet death.

• Bev Thomas
    December 05, 2012 - 12:16

Sorry to hear the news for the PC party and especially for Olive..she has worked extremely hard for all islanders . It's too bad that members of her own party have made a public spectacle of the leadership issue rather than quietly solving issues within house. PEI needs a strong alternative to Mr Ghiz's government so let's see some of the backstabbers get a leader and a platform before the next election. Myself, I'm hoping for strong NDP candidates.

• Proud Olive Supporter
    December 05, 2012 - 12:13

I can say I have always supported Olive and will always believe in her. She did not have a hope in hell with the cut throat back room boys. Hope they think themselves proud. Olive I guess being honest and feeling for people does not make it in politics. The PC party had a good leader in you. Olive, Kent & the rest of the PC caucus have done a remarkable job. The next leader will have big shoes to fill to be as a compassionate person as you

• Relieved
      December 05, 2012 - 14:39

If she wanted to do what was best for the party, she would have graciously stepped aside and supported the election of a new leader when the party continued to slide in the polls and she clearly didn't have the confidence of her own party. If there's a division within the PC party, she is the one who created it and insisted on making it wider! If you don't have at least 75% approval within your party, it's time to make room for someone who does!

• Nelson Muntz
    December 05, 2012 - 12:12

Ha ha.

December 05, 2012 - 12:12

I would like to thank you, Olive, for being so honest and for trying so hard so expose all the corruption in the government system of PEI. When I met you, you struck me as being open and straightforward and a refreshing breath of fresh air compared to all the other overblown, puffed-up, self-important, smooth talkers we normally have to endure as our elected representatives. It's a shame that the people who should be working as your support staff have been doing the very opposite - if you're not getting the back-up, it's near impossible to carry on. Good luck for the future!

• Martha
    December 05, 2012 - 12:07

Olive should be very proud of the job she has done as Opposition Leader

• Islander
    December 05, 2012 - 11:55

Good for you, Olive! An honest politician, who kept her word. Ghiz could learn a lot from you.

• too bad
    December 05, 2012 - 11:54

Now the tories can return to being the bottom feeders they where before

• Anon Islander
    December 05, 2012 - 11:48

On behalf of Islanders: Good riddance. She has been doing nothing but hate mongering and chasing moot issues while ignoring what matters most; the interest of islanders.

• Dan
    December 05, 2012 - 11:43

Finally.

• Abouttime
    December 05, 2012 - 11:42

Never send a women to do a man's job. Women should stick to running for MLA positions and leave the leader positions to men.

• Illegitimi non carborundum
    December 05, 2012 - 11:40

Well, with the exception of about 7.5% of it, I've been Red all of my life. The Ghiz years have taught me that it's decisions and evidence that matters, not tradition. With that said, I can't see ever voting Liberal again, mostly because there's no evidence a "Liberal" party actually exists on PEI. So, with the departure of Olive, it seems all we're left with is corporate governance. Never in my long life would I ever have thought of voting Orange or Green, but now I wonder if there's any real choice. It couldn't be any worse. Thanks for the good fight Olive, Illegitimi non carborundum!

• Quiet Observer
    December 05, 2012 - 11:40

As Bob Stanfield has gone down in history as the best Prime Minister Canada never had, Olive Crane will go down in history as the best Premier PEI never had. If islanders had only looked to see who she is and what she stands for, the public image would not have mattered. Ghizzy has (had) a good public image, and look at the mess he has created!

• ANgry Islander
    December 05, 2012 - 11:38

This is all due to a libral conspirasy cooked up by the Ghiz goverment. Give you're head a shake people.

• STEVE DOW
    December 05, 2012 - 11:38

Robert Ghiz is the New York Yankees of Politics , Bring in any of your PC big Guns , Ghiz will get a 3rd term, all you cry babies come on over you want some cheese with your whine ooo Waaaaaa

• PROUD OF OLIVE
    December 05, 2012 - 11:37

Sorry, yet still proud of her! And she ain't gone yet.

• Joe Blow
    December 05, 2012 - 11:37

I feel bad for Crane....she was doing a great job but couldn't get any results because the Liberals would not allow democracy to happen in any case. They just tow the party line and vote everything down...even when they shouldn't. I just hope the PC's can find a party leader that will be competitive in the next election. Hopefully the NDP will win the election....but we need the PC's to take a lot of the Liberal votes so Ghiz and his crooks have no say in PEI politics ever again!

• Disappointed
    December 05, 2012 - 11:35

Wow, what a disappointment this is. I really liked Olive Crane as the PC leader. She fought so hard to stay the leader of the PC party despite some people wanting her to resign. I believe that the liberal government has taken its toll on this province and it is time for a change. Having a man or woman other than Robert ghiz would be better than the corrupt government we have at the moment.

• K. Doe
    December 05, 2012 - 11:30

Obviously the wrong people were polled ! I want her to stay.

• Nora MacDonald
    December 05, 2012 - 11:25

Great.......I guess now we will all just let the Ghiz government do whatever they want to do without a fight......lets all roll over and play dead.