Province unveils capital budget today

PEI legislature

The province’s plans for infrastructure spending for the year will be revealed today.

Finance Minister Wes Sheridan will table the 2013-2014 capital budget in the legislature.

It will spell out the province’s plans for roads, buildings and other infrastructure projects for the next fiscal year.

This budget will also outline the Ghiz government’s five-year plan for infrastructure expenditures across P.E.I.

Premier Robert Ghiz has warned that since federal stimulus funding has dried up, the

multitude of infrastructure projects seen a few years ago will not be quite so plentiful.

“We’ll be returning back to original spending levels in our infrastructure ... back into the traditional $65- to $70-million spend,” Ghiz said in a recent interview.

The Guardian will provide full coverage of the capital budget online and in print.

Comments

Comments

• jack
    November 29, 2012 - 07:06

Sure they did a lot of infrastructure stuff, - and that is all good and well. BUT how much was wasted in the process? Did we need to be as alaborate as all that. Did the hospital need a high ceiling with all kinds of structure and widndow walls, wasting heat. Did we need a 'village' nursing home on Maypoint Road or could we have had a more traditional concept flor a lot lower initial cost not to mention operating cost. If the expense for these two intiatives were examed, I am sure we will find that we could have erected perfectly adequate and equally efficient structures for less building cost and less operating cost. It is a known fact that the architects and building managers get a procentage of the overall cost. There is great incentives for designing high cost contruction for both these firms. I am sure that in both instances we could have chosen less expensive lay outs, but without attention to this, the taxpayers are easy victims. If in the process party friends and contributors are rewarded with a bigger profit, that shows as just the cost of doing busuness, that much the better. Hopefully APM and the architects on those two projects will not fade away when Sheridan stops in infrastructure spree, ---- the old saying:' make hay while the sun is shinning' comes to mind here

• What a Crock
    November 28, 2012 - 16:48

Oh yes lets get more pavement so that the roads are in good condition for the dialysis patients to travel to the center of the province, lets just keep on spending, why stop now, they are on a roll, seems to me its too late to do anything here with these guys, I cant stand politics anymore

• Plan C?
    November 28, 2012 - 14:03

Please God, not more money on pavement. If there's another Plan B scam in the works, may it be a road that gets me out of this place ASAP!

• Jabroni Jackpot
    November 28, 2012 - 13:38

im sure it will be great. the ghiz government has led us forward in time of duress and succeeded. people need to see that this is the best government we've had in ages!

• Sylvia
      November 28, 2012 - 14:19

You've got a good sense of humour. I know you must be kidding. I couldn't possibly take that comment seriously.

• Dan Larter
      November 28, 2012 - 14:58

Very true, people have forgotten so quickly about the GLOBAL recession. They are acting like Robert brought this on us, without his great leadership we would be in much worse shape. Thank you Robert and your team for doing a thankless job.

• don
    November 28, 2012 - 12:22

SG. dizzy has to cover his non patronage promise with his new patronage deal.

• What I
    November 28, 2012 - 11:57

What I want tabled is the resignation of this government. It is time for them to be brave enough to call an election to be sure that the people are (or are not) behind them.

• SG
    November 28, 2012 - 11:37

In my view, I feel our Government has spent enough on Infrastructure. I would prefer they place their Priority on Islanders' Needs which are many and Job Opportunites which are Nil !